Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

For Ziki: Chapter X

Thanks, Ziki! Yes, that's one of my favorite parts: the other is in Chapter XXII, so please do visit us again next week.

ziki wrote:
hey Philo,
the paragraph you quoted would make me want to read the whole book!Thanks.
Glad to see you here!
keep up the good work :-)
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Re: happy gang here

ziki wrote:
Aw shucks, girls, you have some fun here! There's no way I can fit this book in now but I sure wish I could.

ziki

Me too. I think I would have tried if I had been able to get it on an audiobook quickly and cheaply. I did see the BBC dramatization and loved it.
"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: Chapter X: Pink

I seem to remember we shared many a cup of Earl Grey in our Virginia Woolf marathon Ziki and I even posted some pics of the elegant Earl Grey's ballroom (now tearoom) at his former home, Howick Hall in Northumberland. I would like to post it again now to revive you in your MD swimathon and I would lash it with photos of rum:smileyhappy: Here is a poem for you - let's substite Ziki for Katie and Choisya for Grandma:smileyhappy:

Grandma, Tea & Me by Sonya Van Sickle

Katie watched her grandma,
With a certain sense of glee.
She'd been asked to stay up late
And have a cup of tea!
Her grandma took the teapot
From the cupboard shelf,
She spooned in tea for Katie
And then some for herself.

Grandma boiled the water
Until the kettle sang.
The water poured, the timer set,
It was ready when it rang!

The china cups on saucers
Clattered gently as she poured,
While Katie sat and watched
Her grandma she adored.

"A little sugar, dear,
And will you have some milk?"
Katie quickly nodded
And the tea went down like silk.

"Shall we have a cookie?"
Grandma's eyes held a twinkle.
"Yes, please," answered Katie
As she spied the ones with sprinkles.

Her grandma held the cookie jar
And waited as she chose;
A butterfly, a star,
A man with a crooked nose.

"Oh which one shall I take?"
Katie asked, a little stumped.
"I'd pick this one," Grandma said,
"He's so nice and plump."

So there sat Katie and Grandma,
Having cookies and their tea.
And Katie said, "What a special time
Just Grandma, tea and me."

ziki wrote:
hey Philo,
the paragraph you quoted would make me want to read the whole book!Thanks.
-----
just this:
quote:smileyfrustrated:he handed him his cup of tea with the proud air of an unwilling slave; but her eye caught the moment when he was ready for another cup;...
-----
ah....I really wonder how she looked at that moment...proud air of an unwilling slave...can't imagine!But these English tea sessions always get to me...what an incredible psychosocial happening they are!

Glad to see you here!
keep up the good work :-)
ziki

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Chapter XIII: Irony

[ Edited ]
Here are some interesting passages. The first,

...with the increase of serious and just ground of complaint, a new kind of patience had sprung up in [Mrs. Hale]'s mind. She was gentle and quiet in intense bodily suffering, almost in proportion as she had been restless and depressed when there had been no real cause for grief.
is so true to life, and the second,

'Poor Maria!' said [Mr. Hale], half soliloquising, 'I wish one could do right without sacrificing others. ...'
is thought-provoking: should/would/could he have done more for his family?

Message Edited by pmath on 01-09-200711:51 AM

Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

Re: Chapter XIII: Irony

That's an interesting question. Mr. Hale seems to have been in an untenable position - a crisis so speak. It must have came down to which was the lesser evil. Being a man of strong convictions (obviously - or he would not have let his church), he had to chose between being true to himself or subjecting his family to an uncomfortable and life-changing situation. It wasn't an easy decision for him to make, and we see signs of his having truly wrestled with it; but, he made the only decision he felt he could. I do think, that he could have told his wife himself instead of leaving that burden to his daughter.

pmath wrote:
Here are some interesting passages. The first,

...with the increase of serious and just ground of complaint, a new kind of patience had sprung up in [Mrs. Hale]'s mind. She was gentle and quiet in intense bodily suffering, almost in proportion as she had been restless and depressed when there had been no real cause for grief.
is so true to life, and the second,

'Poor Maria!' said [Mr. Hale], half soliloquising, 'I wish one could do
right without sacrificing others. ...'
is thought-provoking: should/would/could he have done more for his family?

Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Chapters XIV through XXV

[ Edited ]
We discussed the first 13 chapters (out of 52) of Elizabeth Gaskell's North and South during the first week. This thread is for our discussion of the next 12 chapters.

I suggest including chapter number(s) in the subject line, so that readers who haven't yet read through Chapter XXV can participate in discussions of earlier chapters right away. I also suggest including a direct quote in each message, to focus the discussion, and to avoid spoilers!

Message Edited by pmath on 01-11-200704:40 PM

Inspired Wordsmith
chadadanielleKR
0 Kudos

Re: Chapter VI: Margaret's Fear

Indeed,until now Margaret's life seems to have been free of constraints like that of the poacher. But so far this freedom has been lived in a familiar environment. She lived among her family in a dream like scenery or in London with a wealthy ant and with nothing really serious to worry about, not even about getting married, apparently. The wilderness had always been seen "sitting up in her bedroom" so to speak. But this time, the point of view is different: she IS outside the house, very vulnerable with, soon, no safe place to go back to. She probably is afraid because she realized that the wilderness means also the uncertainty, the unknown future to come(as LizzieAnn said).

LizzieAnn wrote:
I agree that it's a fear of the unknown. The same way that a stranger (the poacher) has intruded into her environment - she will also be a stranger intruding into the new environment of Milton. She is going from "being at home" to "living in Milton." The poacher is representative of her fears, anxieties, and being an outsider.

Choisya wrote:
I think her peace of mind has been disturbed by the thought of having to move and she is now fearful of what is to come. The house is empty; it is as if they are ghosts in it and the 'wild adventurous freedom' of her youth and living in Helston had gone with the furniture.

pmath wrote:
This is another very interesting passage:

A stealthy, creeping, cranching sound among the crisp fallen leaves of the forest, beyond the garden, seemed almost close at hand. Margaret knew it was some poacher. Sitting up in her bed-room this past autumn, with the light of her candle extinguished, and purely revelling in the solemn beauty of the heavens and the earth, she had many a time seen the light noiseless leap of the poachers over the garden-fence, their quick tramp across the dewy moonlit lawn, their disappearance in the black still shadow beyond. The wild adventurous freedom of their life had taken her fancy; she felt inclined to wish them success; she had no fear of them. But to-night she was afraid, she knew not why.
Why do you think Margaret was afraid? What, or who, was she afraid of?

Message Edited by pmath on 01-08-200710:16 AM

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Editions of NORTH AND SOUTH

Yes, it's probably a good idea, in case some our friends are using another edition! Did anyone purchase the Norton Critical Edition?

LizzieAnn wrote:
I have the Penguin Classics edition. Would it be easier if I gave the chapter & page number in future posts?

pmath wrote:
Liz, which edition of North and South are your page numbers from?

Inspired Wordsmith
chadadanielleKR
0 Kudos

Re: Editions of NORTH AND SOUTH

pmath wrote:
Yes, it's probably a good idea, in case some our friends are using another edition! Did anyone purchase the Norton Critical Edition?

LizzieAnn wrote:
I have the Penguin Classics edition. Would it be easier if I gave the chapter & page number in future posts?

pmath wrote:
Liz, which edition of North and South are your page numbers from?

Actually, my book is a translation of the "Oxford World's Classics" edition, 1998 with two parts. The first part: Chapt 1 to 25 and second part: Chapt 1 to 27 !! (It comes from my local public library). But I'll manage...
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Re: Chapter X: Pink

heheh, thanks, how fun Choisya...I will now order the book anyhow.
ziki in pink
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

over1000

Congrats Choisya, you must be the first poster on this forum over the limit of 1000 posts. You set a great example! Let's celebrate by having a tea! ;-)

ziki
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

the art of making tea

Last week I went to a shop selling cooking utensils&kitchen equipment and there they had a thermometer for measuring the 'tea water temperature'. Each sort of tea needs different temperature of water. I mean you could use any thermometer but on this one different teas were indicated on the scale. Admiting my ignorance- so far I just boiled the water and poured that over the tea...deed done. :-)

ziki
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

For Danielle: Volume II of NORTH AND SOUTH

[ Edited ]
Danielle, I've added a schedule for two-volume editions to my opening message (linked here), and here's a list of chapter numbers for one-volume/two-volume editions:

January 18 to 24
Ch. XXVI/Vol. II, Ch. I
Ch. XXVII/Vol. II, Ch. II
Ch. XXVIII/Vol. II, Ch. III
Ch. XXIX/Vol. II, Ch. IV
Ch. XXX/Vol. II, Ch. V
Ch. XXXI/Vol. II, Ch. VI
Ch. XXXII/Vol. II, Ch. VII
Ch. XXXIII/Vol. II, Ch. VIII
Ch. XXXIV/Vol. II, Ch. IX
Ch. XXXV/Vol. II, Ch. X
Ch. XXXVI/Vol. II, Ch. XI
Ch. XXXVII/Vol. II, Ch. XII
Ch. XXXVIII/Vol. II, Ch. XIII
Ch. XXXIX/Vol. II, Ch. XIV

January 25 to 31
Ch. XL/Vol. II, Ch. XV
Ch. XLI/Vol. II, Ch. XVI
Ch. XLII/Vol. II, Ch. XVII
Ch. XLIII/Vol. II, Ch. XVIII
Ch. XLIV/Vol. II, Ch. XIX
Ch. XLV/Vol. II, Ch. XX
Ch. XLVI/Vol. II, Ch. XXI
Ch. XLVII/Vol. II, Ch. XXII
Ch. XLVIII/Vol. II, Ch. XXIII
Ch. XLIX/Vol. II, Ch. XXIV
Ch. L/Vol. II, Ch. XXV
Ch. LI/Vol. II, Ch. XXVI
Ch. LII/Vol. II, Ch. XXVII

chadadanielleKR wrote:
...my book is a translation of the "Oxford World's Classics" edition, 1998 with two parts. The first part: Chapt 1 to 25 and second part: Chapt 1 to 27 !!

Message Edited by pmath on 01-10-200710:58 AM

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: the art of making tea (Off topic)

I've never heard of this ziki - I wonder if it is a sales gimmick?

ziki wrote:
Last week I went to a shop selling cooking utensils&kitchen equipment and there they had a thermometer for measuring the 'tea water temperature'. Each sort of tea needs different temperature of water. I mean you could use any thermometer but on this one different teas were indicated on the scale. Admiting my ignorance- so far I just boiled the water and poured that over the tea...deed done. :-)

ziki

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: over1000

It just shows what a sad old lady I am!" I do so hate these 'scores:smileysad::smileysad:

ziki wrote:
Congrats Choisya, you must be the first poster on this forum over the limit of 1000 posts. You set a great example! Let's celebrate by having a tea! ;-)

ziki

Frequent Contributor
donyskiw
0 Kudos

Re: over1000

No, sad old ladies don't continue to discuss classic literature and enjoy the fine arts.

Denise
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

An Update from Philomath, your NORTH AND SOUTH Reader-Moderator

Since some of us are using two-volume editions of North and South, I adjusted the schedule: I moved Chapter XXVI forward to the third week, so we can start discussing Volume II then.

In order to keep this discussion focused on N&S, please contact our British Classics moderator, Ilana, or the BNBC staff at the Help & Important Information board, if you have any administrative questions or concerns.
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

Re: An Update from Philomath, your NORTH AND SOUTH Reader-Moderator

You're killing me ... LOL :smileyhappy:. Of course, you tell me this just after I finished that chapter in preparation for the next week.

pmath wrote:
Since some of us are using two-volume editions of North and South, I adjusted the schedule: I moved Chapter XXVI forward to the third week, so we can start discussing Volume II then.

In order to keep this discussion focused on N&S, please contact our British Classics moderator, Ilana, or the BNBC staff at the Help & Important Information board, if you have any administrative questions or concerns.

Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

For Liz: Volumes I and II

Well, at least you're not behind! You're also now the very one to tell us, during the third week, if you think it made sense to start the second volume with Chapter XXVI.

LizzieAnn wrote:
You're killing me ... LOL :smileyhappy:. Of course, you tell me this just after I finished that chapter in preparation for the next week.

pmath wrote:

Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

Re: For Liz: Volumes I and II

Interesting - Chapter XXVI is a good bridge between Chapter XXV and Chapter XXVII. Actually, looking at it again, I can see why it may fit a little better with Chapter XXVII, as it directly leads into the action that begins with Chapter XXVII - so I bow to your change in order. Actually, it does make a lot of sense...so on to it. :smileyhappy:

pmath wrote:
Well, at least you're not behind! You're also now the very one to tell us, during the third week, if you think it made sense to start the second volume with Chapter XXVI.

LizzieAnn wrote:

pmath wrote:

Liz ♥ ♥

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 63 members 678 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: