Reply
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
Posts: 2,344
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

P&P - Updates

[ Edited ]

You have given me a treasure.
Lady Catherine, Pride & Prejudice, Volume 2, Chapter 6 (or Chapter 29)



Only 9 more days until we start our discussion of Pride & Prejudice.

If anyone needs a copy of Pride and Prejudice, it can be found at:

  • Pride and Prejudice (Barnes and Noble Classic Series)


  • Pride and Prejudice (Oxford’s World Classics)


  • Pride and Prejudice (Penguin Classics Series)


  • Pride and Prejudice, A Norton Critical Edition


  • There are also online versions available at

  • Gutenberg.org


  • Austen.com


  • Pride & Prejudice Index
  • Message Edited by LizzieAnn on 02-20-200703:13 PM

    Liz ♥ ♥


    Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
    Distinguished Wordsmith
    Everyman
    Posts: 9,216
    Registered: ‎10-19-2006
    0 Kudos

    Re: P&P - Update & Countdown

    You're doing a great job as moderator preparing for this discussion, Lizzie. Can't wait for the actual postings to begin!
    _______________
    I think, therefore I drive people nuts.
    Frequent Contributor
    LizzieAnn
    Posts: 2,344
    Registered: ‎10-19-2006
    0 Kudos

    Re: P&P - Update & Countdown

    Thanks! Hope you feel the same once it starts. I'm looking forward to discussing this books as it's been one of my favorites for many, many years (I won't say how many :smileywink: ).



    Everyman wrote:
    You're doing a great job as moderator preparing for this discussion, Lizzie. Can't wait for the actual postings to begin!

    Liz ♥ ♥


    Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
    Distinguished Wordsmith
    Everyman
    Posts: 9,216
    Registered: ‎10-19-2006
    0 Kudos

    Re: P&P - Update & Countdown



    LizzieAnn wrote:
    I'm looking forward to discussing this books as it's been one of my favorites for many, many years (I won't say how many :smileywink:



    Ditto. But I bet my not saying is more years than your not saying!
    _______________
    I think, therefore I drive people nuts.
    Frequent Contributor
    LizzieAnn
    Posts: 2,344
    Registered: ‎10-19-2006
    0 Kudos

    P&P - Schedule & Countdown

    [ Edited ]

    "Laugh as much as you choose, but you will not laugh me out of my opinion.”
    Jane, Pride & Prejudice, Chapter 17


    Only 1 more week until we begin our discussion on Pride & Prejudice. As per our suggestions last month, we will be reading P&P by Volumes and taking about 10 days to discuss each volume. For those whose book is not broken up into volumes, the appropriate chapters for each volume is given in parentheses:

  • 2/12 – 2/21 ~~ Volume I – Chapters 1-23 (Chapters 1-23)


  • 2/22 – 3/3 ~~ Volume II – Chapters 1-19 (Chapters 24-42)


  • 3/4 – 3/13 ~~ Volume III – Chapters 1-19 (Chapters 43-61)

  • While Pride & Prejudice, the second of Jane Austen’s novels to be published, was published in 1813, she actually wrote the original draft many years before – from 1796-1797. The original title was First Impressions. Carol Shields tells us in Jane Austen, A Life that the Rev. Austen attempted to have this novel published in November of 1797, but it was rejected [pages 59-60]. However, when it finally was published 16 years later, it was a huge success.

    Readers loved it, laughed at it, were moved by it, and they adored especially the vibrancy and spirit of Elizabeth Bennet. “Pride and Prejudice rises very superior to any novel we have lately met with in the delineation of domestic scenes,” said the Critical Review. “Nor is there one character which appears flat, or obtrudes itself upon the notice of the reader with troublesome impertinence.” [Carol Shields, Jane Austen, A Life, page 151]
    Today, it is considered by many to be Jane Austen’s most popular novel. Several film adaptations have been made and countless sequels have been written, attesting to its popularity.

    Message Edited by LizzieAnn on 02-05-200710:52 AM

    Liz ♥ ♥


    Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
    Contributor
    Cara
    Posts: 11
    Registered: ‎02-05-2007
    0 Kudos

    Re: P&P - Schedule & Countdown

    I am so looking forward to the discussion! And to learning more from the well read others!
    Distinguished Wordsmith
    Everyman
    Posts: 9,216
    Registered: ‎10-19-2006
    0 Kudos

    Re: P&P - Update & Countdown

    So, LizzieAnn, when is our official start time? Midnight tonight Eastern Time? Or something other than that, and if so what?

    The horses are in harness and champing at their bits, the barouche is all spruced and shined up, the wraps and mufflers are donned, and we're just standing in the porch waiting for the signal to climb aboard and get underway!
    _______________
    I think, therefore I drive people nuts.
    Frequent Contributor
    LizzieAnn
    Posts: 2,344
    Registered: ‎10-19-2006
    0 Kudos

    Re: P&P - Update & Countdown

    You are definitely anxious aren't you? Just waiting to tear me down, huh? :smileyhappy: I'm planning for sometime tomorrow morning; but you're welcome to start at midnight. I know for you that's only 9 PM. If I can - I'll try to post then, otherwise the am.



    Everyman wrote:
    So, LizzieAnn, when is our official start time? Midnight tonight Eastern Time? Or something other than that, and if so what?

    The horses are in harness and champing at their bits, the barouche is all spruced and shined up, the wraps and mufflers are donned, and we're just standing in the porch waiting for the signal to climb aboard and get underway!


    Liz ♥ ♥


    Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
    Frequent Contributor
    LizzieAnn
    Posts: 2,344
    Registered: ‎10-19-2006
    0 Kudos

    P&P - Update

    "How do you like this cold weather? I hope you have all been earnestly praying for it as a salutary relief from the dreadful mild and unhealthy season preceding it, fancying yourself half putrified from the want of it, and that now you all draw into the fire, complain that you never felt such bitterness of cold before, that you are half starved, quite frozen, and wish the mild weather back again with all your hearts."

    Jane Austen, Letter to her sister Cassandra, January 25, 1801



    Okay everyone - tomorrow's the day we discuss what is probably Austen's most famous and popular novel: Pride and Prejudice!

    As I sit here in the frigid cold that we're experiencing here in western New York (At 3 pm, it's 17º with a wind chill of 1º, which in metric is -8.3ºC and -17.2ºC.) and await having to bundle up and head out later this evening, I hope you're all in warmer and sunnier climates!
    Liz ♥ ♥


    Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
    Distinguished Wordsmith
    Everyman
    Posts: 9,216
    Registered: ‎10-19-2006
    0 Kudos

    Re: P&P - Update & Countdown

    LizzieAnn wrote:You are definitely anxious aren't you?

    I prefer to consider it eagerness to anxiety. [g]

    Just waiting to tear me down, huh? :smileyhappy:

    I would have more success trying to tear down one of the Pyramids.

    I'm planning for sometime tomorrow morning; but you're welcome to start at midnight. I know for you that's only 9 PM.

    Okay, midnight Eastern it is!
    _______________
    I think, therefore I drive people nuts.
    Distinguished Wordsmith
    Everyman
    Posts: 9,216
    Registered: ‎10-19-2006
    0 Kudos

    Re: P&P - Update

    Great find in the quote!

    We're not sunnier than you -- haven't seen any real sun for days (that's the Pacific Northwest for you), but definitely warmer. In the 50s today.


    LizzieAnn wrote:

    "How do you like this cold weather? I hope you have all been earnestly praying for it as a salutary relief from the dreadful mild and unhealthy season preceding it, fancying yourself half putrified from the want of it, and that now you all draw into the fire, complain that you never felt such bitterness of cold before, that you are half starved, quite frozen, and wish the mild weather back again with all your hearts."

    Jane Austen, Letter to her sister Cassandra, January 25, 1801



    Okay everyone - tomorrow's the day we discuss what is probably Austen's most famous and popular novel: Pride and Prejudice!

    As I sit here in the frigid cold that we're experiencing here in western New York (At 3 pm, it's 17º with a wind chill of 1º, which in metric is -8.3ºC and -17.2ºC.) and await having to bundle up and head out later this evening, I hope you're all in warmer and sunnier climates!

    _______________
    I think, therefore I drive people nuts.
    Frequent Contributor
    Cahill42
    Posts: 53
    Registered: ‎12-30-2006
    0 Kudos

    Re: P&P - Update

    [ Edited ]
    Everyman wrote:
    We're not sunnier than you -- haven't seen any real sun for days (that's the Pacific Northwest for you), but definitely warmer. In the 50s today.

    50s!!!!!!! Oh, I wish! :smileyhappy: We haven't seen double digits in weeks! Heck, it's barely been above zero. We won't mention wind chills. I hate winter. :smileysad:

    And that concludes our session of who's the coldest. Heh, heh, heh. :smileywink:

    Message Edited by Cahill42 on 02-11-200706:04 PM

    Destiny is a name often given in retrospect to choices that had dramatic consequences.---J.K. Rowling

    I'm a leaf on the wind, watch me soar.---Wash
    Frequent Contributor
    Posts: 1,101
    Registered: ‎10-19-2006
    0 Kudos

    For Liz: GMT

    Liz, your faithful assistant is back: it's now February 12 in Hampshire, so I'll get things started for our European friends.


    LizzieAnn wrote:
    I'm planning for sometime tomorrow morning; but you're welcome to start at midnight. ... If I can - I'll try to post then, otherwise the am.
    Frequent Contributor
    donyskiw
    Posts: 578
    Registered: ‎10-19-2006
    0 Kudos

    Re: P&P - Update

    We had a week of relief with highs in the forties. Tomorrow it goes back down to highs in the twenties and more snow. I heard Denver is 100% over its annual snowfall. Makes up for the drought years we've had. Too bad I'll spend all my money on heating bills (and books) because this would be a great year for landscaping: no watering restrictions! At least we always have sun, even if it's cold.

    Denise



    Cahill42 wrote:
    Everyman wrote:
    We're not sunnier than you -- haven't seen any real sun for days (that's the Pacific Northwest for you), but definitely warmer. In the 50s today.

    50s!!!!!!! Oh, I wish! :smileyhappy: We haven't seen double digits in weeks! Heck, it's barely been above zero. We won't mention wind chills. I hate winter. :smileysad:

    And that concludes our session of who's the coldest. Heh, heh, heh. :smileywink:

    Message Edited by Cahill42 on 02-11-200706:04 PM




    Frequent Contributor
    LizzieAnn
    Posts: 2,344
    Registered: ‎10-19-2006
    0 Kudos

    Update

    We're due for more arctic temperatures and snow here! I did spend all my money on books! :smileyvery-happy: I have about at least a dozen more books to be read, so at least if I'm snowbound, I'll be happy!



    donyskiw wrote:
    We had a week of relief with highs in the forties. Tomorrow it goes back down to highs in the twenties and more snow. I heard Denver is 100% over its annual snowfall. Makes up for the drought years we've had. Too bad I'll spend all my money on heating bills (and books) because this would be a great year for landscaping: no watering restrictions! At least we always have sun, even if it's cold.

    Denise



    Cahill42 wrote:
    Everyman wrote:
    We're not sunnier than you -- haven't seen any real sun for days (that's the Pacific Northwest for you), but definitely warmer. In the 50s today.

    50s!!!!!!! Oh, I wish! :smileyhappy: We haven't seen double digits in weeks! Heck, it's barely been above zero. We won't mention wind chills. I hate winter. :smileysad:

    And that concludes our session of who's the coldest. Heh, heh, heh. :smileywink:

    Message Edited by Cahill42 on 02-11-200706:04 PM







    Liz ♥ ♥


    Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
    Frequent Contributor
    donyskiw
    Posts: 578
    Registered: ‎10-19-2006
    0 Kudos

    Re: Update

    I don't actually get snowbound. Living in Denver, we're always equipped to get out and about no matter how bad the weather is. Last December, the worst it got, I was in for about a day. That happened twice. And that's happened only once before in the past ten years.

    Denise



    LizzieAnn wrote:
    We're due for more arctic temperatures and snow here! I did spend all my money on books! :smileyvery-happy: I have about at least a dozen more books to be read, so at least if I'm snowbound, I'll be happy!



    donyskiw wrote:
    We had a week of relief with highs in the forties. Tomorrow it goes back down to highs in the twenties and more snow. I heard Denver is 100% over its annual snowfall. Makes up for the drought years we've had. Too bad I'll spend all my money on heating bills (and books) because this would be a great year for landscaping: no watering restrictions! At least we always have sun, even if it's cold.

    Denise



    Cahill42 wrote:
    Everyman wrote:
    We're not sunnier than you -- haven't seen any real sun for days (that's the Pacific Northwest for you), but definitely warmer. In the 50s today.

    50s!!!!!!! Oh, I wish! :smileyhappy: We haven't seen double digits in weeks! Heck, it's barely been above zero. We won't mention wind chills. I hate winter. :smileysad:

    And that concludes our session of who's the coldest. Heh, heh, heh. :smileywink:

    Message Edited by Cahill42 on 02-11-200706:04 PM










    Distinguished Wordsmith
    Everyman
    Posts: 9,216
    Registered: ‎10-19-2006
    0 Kudos

    Re: Update



    donyskiw wrote:
    I don't actually get snowbound. Living in Denver, we're always equipped to get out and about no matter how bad the weather is.

    Whereas we get major snows so seldom, every five to ten years or so, that our road crews don't have nearly enough equipment to deal with them; parts of our areas were impassable even by four wheel drive vehicles for several days. One infamous winter we had 3-1/2 feet of snow in our road, we had a cold snap so it didn't melt at all, and it was three days before the first vehicle got through to us, a mile and a half from the nearest "main" road.

    But I have plenty of books, so as long as the power stays on or we have enough fuel for the generator, we can survive much.
    _______________
    I think, therefore I drive people nuts.
    Frequent Contributor
    donyskiw
    Posts: 578
    Registered: ‎10-19-2006
    0 Kudos

    Re: Update

    I remember the description you gave of your home and library. I'd pray to get snowbound if I lived there! I'm actually planning on retiring somewhere in Colorado where I can get snowbound ocassionally. Wait, I'll be retired. It won't matter, I won't have to go anywhere anyway!

    Denise



    Everyman wrote:


    donyskiw wrote:
    I don't actually get snowbound. Living in Denver, we're always equipped to get out and about no matter how bad the weather is.

    Whereas we get major snows so seldom, every five to ten years or so, that our road crews don't have nearly enough equipment to deal with them; parts of our areas were impassable even by four wheel drive vehicles for several days. One infamous winter we had 3-1/2 feet of snow in our road, we had a cold snap so it didn't melt at all, and it was three days before the first vehicle got through to us, a mile and a half from the nearest "main" road.

    But I have plenty of books, so as long as the power stays on or we have enough fuel for the generator, we can survive much.


    Frequent Contributor
    LizzieAnn
    Posts: 2,344
    Registered: ‎10-19-2006
    0 Kudos

    Re: Update

    Well the snow hasn't come yet, but it's on its way. I could deal with the snow itself actually. It's the frigid temperatures that I hate. It gives the snow a crust of ice, and it's just too cold to enjoy the fresh air!



    donyskiw wrote:
    I don't actually get snowbound. Living in Denver, we're always equipped to get out and about no matter how bad the weather is. Last December, the worst it got, I was in for about a day. That happened twice. And that's happened only once before in the past ten years.

    Denise


    Liz ♥ ♥


    Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
    Frequent Contributor
    LizzieAnn
    Posts: 2,344
    Registered: ‎10-19-2006
    0 Kudos

    Re: Update

    I too remember the description - and the pictures you once posted. What a view of the water. It's a part of the country I definitely hope to see one day. It always amazes me how different the weather there is from what we think it should be.



    donyskiw wrote:
    I remember the description you gave of your home and library. I'd pray to get snowbound if I lived there! I'm actually planning on retiring somewhere in Colorado where I can get snowbound ocassionally. Wait, I'll be retired. It won't matter, I won't have to go anywhere anyway!

    Denise



    Everyman wrote:


    donyskiw wrote:
    I don't actually get snowbound. Living in Denver, we're always equipped to get out and about no matter how bad the weather is.

    Whereas we get major snows so seldom, every five to ten years or so, that our road crews don't have nearly enough equipment to deal with them; parts of our areas were impassable even by four wheel drive vehicles for several days. One infamous winter we had 3-1/2 feet of snow in our road, we had a cold snap so it didn't melt at all, and it was three days before the first vehicle got through to us, a mile and a half from the nearest "main" road.

    But I have plenty of books, so as long as the power stays on or we have enough fuel for the generator, we can survive much.





    Liz ♥ ♥


    Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
    Top Kudoed Authors
    User Kudos Count
    1
    1
    Users Online
    Currently online:47 members 447 guests
    Please welcome our newest community members: