Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Jansten75
0 Kudos

Pride & Prejudice

My first entry on Pride and Prejudice. I am sorry to say I missed the start even though I tried hard to note a date-it was not clear. The last message I saw said middle of February. I assumed the 15th or beyond. I am playing catch-up and have read most of the notes. Unfortunately, I am away for the next week, but will read and comment where possible when I return. If I may, I would like to comment on notes from the first week: In regards to happy singles not written in her books, as a practical business person, she surely would have thought through the consequences of creating a more radical character for her time period. It could have had scandalous results and may have been further shunned by publishers. I think she knew the limits of her characters for her general audience. I think she walked a clever line in giving some independence of thought to Lizzie knowing there had to be many woman who shared a deep feeling of wanting to marry for love, but, due to social constraints had to tow the line.
As to the "accomplishments", there had to be a level of discipline inherent in these labors that help to ground a person with some sense of responsibility. Is that not also as much a part of education as the thing which we study?
As to Mrs. Bennet running the courting train, she would feel acutely the loss of her husbands money and had more incentive than he to find good husbands for her daughters. I think her nerves and emotional dramas were more a result of having five daughters and a husband who took a back seat to helping with their futures. She was more than likely as charming as any young lady when first married. Who fully grasps what life has in store when we are young and just beginning. A few hard knocks wakes us to reality. Although her "screeching" in the A&E movie gets on my nerves, I have empathy for her situation.
Charlotte's views on marriage are also the realization at 27 of her fate, if unmarried. I think 27 then is more like 40+ today. The fate of being poor loomed very large in their time and gave a sense of desperation that many woman, but men as well,today cannot fully appreciate. Given the wealth and opportunities in our country, we cannot know the depths of despair they would have endured. There was enough of an age difference between Charlotte and Lizzie to allow for two very different views. Lizzie might have voiced a different view when she reached 27.
As for Jane electing not to marry, she did manage to create an income. Her family environment was such as to allow her to feel some security and support, too.
Would Darcy have shown any interest in Lizzie had it not been for the relationship between Jane and Mr. Bingley? Darcy was sizing up every Bennet family member on behalf of his friend. At closer scrutiny of Jane, he could not find the faults he would have easily conjectured might have existed. His pride was confounded when she did not respond to him as he thought typical. Are we not all tempted to know more of that which confounds us-at least a very little bit?
"For what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbours, and laugh at them in our turn?" Pride and Prejudice
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

Pride & Prejudice

We’re glad you’re joining us for the discussion of P&P.

For your information, here’s the post regarding the schedule for P&P.

In addition, here’s the list of the P&P discussion threads that pmath compiled.
Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Re: Pride & Prejudice

"Would Darcy have shown any interest in Lizzie had it not been for the relationship between Jane and Mr. Bingley? Darcy was sizing up every Bennet family member on behalf of his friend. At closer scrutiny of Jane, he could not find the faults he would have easily conjectured might have existed. His pride was confounded when she did not respond to him as he thought typical. Are we not all tempted to know more of that which confounds us-at least a very little bit?"

Interesting insight, Jansten!
"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

Re: Pride & Prejudice

But his interest in Lizzy first appeared to us in Chapter 6, the party at the Lucases. There's no indication that he purposely sized up either Jane or her family until the Netherfield ball (Chapter 18), when he learns that there is an expectation of Bingley & Jane marrying. Any observations that he'd made of the Bennet family prior to that was probably normal observations of those around him.

Laurel wrote:
"Would Darcy have shown any interest in Lizzie had it not been for the relationship between Jane and Mr. Bingley? Darcy was sizing up every Bennet family member on behalf of his friend. At closer scrutiny of Jane, he could not find the faults he would have easily conjectured might have existed. His pride was confounded when she did not respond to him as he thought typical. Are we not all tempted to know more of that which confounds us-at least a very little bit?"

Interesting insight, Jansten!

Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 42 members 765 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: