Frequent Contributor
purpledot505
0 Kudos

Pride and Preduice

Even though i am in middle school i liked this book a whole lot, is there a sequel to this?
I LUV 2 Read
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,085
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

Re: Pride and Prejudice

[ Edited ]
Hi purpledot,

Unfortunately, Jane Austen never wrote sequels to any of her novels.  :smileysad:

But, if you did like Pride and Prejudice then you should try some of Austen's other novels:

Other authors have created sequels based on Austen's work.  Here are some based on Pride and Prejudice, but you might want to run them by your parents because the subject matter can be far more mature in these books than in Austen's original novels, these books having been written in the last 15 years:

The "Fitzwilliam Darcy, Gentleman" series (An Assembly Such as This, Duty and Desire, and These Three Remain) tell the story of Pride and Prejudice from the view of Mr. Darcy; they are written by Pamela Aidan

Elizabeth Aston started by writing Mr. Darcy's Daughters, which picks up about 20 years after Pride and Prejudice left off.

Jane Dawkins writes the Letters from Pemberley series.

Carrie Bebris writes a mystery series where Lizzie and Darcy sleuth their way through Regency England. The first novel in the series is Pride and Prescience.

purpledot505 wrote:
Even though i am in middle school i liked this book a whole lot, is there a sequel to this?

Message Edited by pedsphleb on 02-13-2008 04:58 PM
Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Northanger Abbey

Whoops, I almost forgot.  We're reading Northanger Abbey over in the Literature by Women group.  You're welcome to join us :smileyhappy:
Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
Frequent Contributor
purpledot505
0 Kudos

I took your advice and I am reading Emma right now. I can hardly put it down,  I love it. But it is not as good as Pride and Preduice. :smileyhappy:
I LUV 2 Read
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Austen did say that in Emma she had created a heroine that only she could love.  :smileywink:

purpledot505 wrote:
I took your advice and I am reading Emma right now. I can hardly put it down,  I love it. But it is not as good as Pride and Preduice. :smileyhappy:

Melissa W.
Frequent Contributor
purpledot505
0 Kudos

:smileyhappy:. What kind of a person was Jane Austen really?
I LUV 2 Read
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

I think you've already replied to the bio thread but I think, long story short, Jane Austen was a very shrewd, observant lady.  Very intelligent also and she filled her books with wit and humor.  Unfortunately, she never married and lived with her mother and sister until her death. 

purpledot505 wrote:
:smileyhappy:. What kind of a person was Jane Austen really?

Melissa W.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Read them again in twenty years, and see whether your opinions is still the same. My own experience is that P&P is more attractive to younger Austen readers, being more romantic and having the wider cast of characters and more exciting events, but that after time Emma, with its more careful study of character, gets more appreciation. It is now my favorite Austen novel. But that's just my own experience.

purpledot505 wrote:
I took your advice and I am reading Emma right now. I can hardly put it down, I love it. But it is not as good as Pride and Preduice. :smileyhappy:

0 Kudos

I am glad you found Jane Austen and especially like Pride and Prejudice. I am a huge Jane Austen fan, I love all her books! There are a lot of websites devoted to Ms. Austen and her novels if you like to browse on the net. I hope you will try more of her novels. You may like Northanger Abbey. :smileyhappy:
~ PEGSmom~
"It's our choices that show us what we truly are, far more than our abilities" Albus Dumbledore
"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Mark Twain
New User
Farenheit_101
0 Kudos

Pride and Prejudice is one of my favorite books. I am now reading Sense and Sensibility, but I keep going on and off with it, so I think I will start from the beginning again....
Inspired Contributor
katknit
0 Kudos

Everyman wrote:
Read them again in twenty years, and see whether your opinions is still the same. My own experience is that P&P is more attractive to younger Austen readers, being more romantic and having the wider cast of characters and more exciting events, but that after time Emma, with its more careful study of character, gets more appreciation. It is now my favorite Austen novel. But that's just my own experience.

purpledot505 wrote:
I took your advice and I am reading Emma right now. I can hardly put it down, I love it. But it is not as good as Pride and Preduice. :smileyhappy:

My favorite Austen is Persuasion, which is a love story about a mature man and woman. I like both characters, each living without illusion after the disappointments of the past. The pettiness of those around them is presented comically but with keen observation. The settings, around Bath and Lyme Regis, are so evocative. And the adaptations for TV have been pretty true to the novel as well.
No two persons ever read the same book. [Edmund Wilson]
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Emma

I love Jane Austen's "Emma" the best of all her books. I had not read Northanger Abbey before last month on Women's literature and I simply adore that one. But I do not think I dislike any of them.I want to read Sense & Senseability because its been years since I read t hat one.
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

katknit wrote:

Everyman wrote:

purpledot505 wrote:

My favorite Austen is Persuasion, which is a love story about a mature man and woman. I like both characters, each living without illusion after the disappointments of the past. The pettiness of those around them is presented comically but with keen observation. The settings, around Bath and Lyme Regis, are so evocative. And the adaptations for TV have been pretty true to the novel as well.

Persuasion is also my favorite.  I agree with Everyman's observation that one's favorite Austen can change as one matures, but in my case, I went from Northanger Abbey (which I still love and think is absolutely hilarious and the funniest of her novels) to Persuasion.  Makes sense to go from perhaps her most immature heroine to perhaps her most mature!:smileywink:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Frequent Contributor
APenForYourThoughts
0 Kudos

Re: Pride and Preduice

I'm also a huge Jane Austen fan, and I'd have to say my favorites are Pride and Prejudice and PersuasionMansfield Park and Sense and Sensibility are wonderful as well...  I have yet to read Northanger Abbey and Emma, but they're definitely up there on my reading list...  Unfortunately with school I don't have much time to read.  :smileysad:  But Austen's life was fascinating (albeit a bit sad), and her novels are beautiful, in my opinion.  You might like to see the movie Becoming Jane if you haven't already.  While a lot of her relationship with Tom Lefroy is quite exaggerated and not particularly factual, it's still a very good movie that portrays the societal position that led her to write her novels.  And I must say that if you have any interest in writing whatsoever, it's the kind of film that, as soon as it has ended, makes you pull out paper and pen and start writing away...  Maybe it's just me, though...  :smileyhappy:   
"A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us." --Kafka
Contributor
imperio_love
0 Kudos

I don’t know much about Austin’s life, but I keep hearing that it is sort of tragic. Do people only say this because she was never married? Surely more must be required for a life to classify as tragic. Any ideas?
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Always thought it was more stunted than tragic.
Her brother who supported her and interseaded for her with her publisher, Died in his prime.
She also never decided to find a companion until she was WELL past marring age.
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Definitely not tragic (especially when compared with, say, all the Bronte sisters who were ill most of their lives and went to horrible schools).  The Jane Austen Centre in Bath conveys the idea that while JA never married and remained dependent on her family (her father died when she was about 25 or 30) JA was a gentleman's daughter, preferred the country to the hectic life of Bath, and, perhaps while not completely content with her life, was most probably happy.  

Her life is tragic only in that she died at 42 (from either Addison's disease or lymphoma) and that her family burned a number of letters to "protect" her image.

imperio_love wrote:
I don’t know much about Austin’s life, but I keep hearing that it is sort of tragic. Do people only say this because she was never married? Surely more must be required for a life to classify as tragic. Any ideas?

Melissa W.
New User
cafeaukait
0 Kudos

Further Reading

I am also a big Jane Austen fan however I have only read Pride and Prejudice (one of my favorite books) and Northanger Abbey (which was VERY good).  Do you have any recommendations for what I should read next by her?  Thanks!

Kait

P.S. I'm new to this whole book club thing.  Any tips would be GREATLY appreciated.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Re: Further Reading

You've read the two extremes of her writing, and liked them both, so you'll probably like anything else she wrote. There's a discussion of Mansfield Park going on here on BN right now; why not pick that one next and join the discussion?

cafeaukait wrote:
I am also a big Jane Austen fan however I have only read Pride and Prejudice (one of my favorite books) and Northanger Abbey (which was VERY good). Do you have any recommendations for what I should read next by her? Thanks!
Kait
P.S. I'm new to this whole book club thing. Any tips would be GREATLY appreciated.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Message Edited by austenaddict on 05-22-2008 02:09 AM
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online:4 members 419 guests
Recent logins:
Please welcome our newest community members: