Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
alfprof212
0 Kudos

Robert Walton vs. Victor Frankenstein

Walton: “I spoke of my desire of finding a friend, of my thirst for a more intimate sympathy with a fellow mind than had ever fallen into my lot, and expressed my conviction that a man could boast of little happiness who did not enjoy his blessing.”

Victor: “I agree with you…we are unfashioned creatures, but half made up, if one wiser, better, dearer than ourselves – such a friend ought to be – do not lend his aid to perfectionate our weak and faulty natures.  I once had a friend, the most noble of human creatures, and am entitled, therefore, to judge respecting friendship.  You have hope, and the world before you, and have no cause for despair…”

What is the importance of each of the above quotes?  What do we learn about each of these men just from these words?

Reader 2
eagle88
0 Kudos

Re: Robert Walton vs. Victor Frankenstein

These two quotes are important because they expose the naure of the two men. Walton and Victor are somewhat parallels of eachother and Walton is supposed to be seen as the naive, adventure-seeking man that Victor was at the beginning of the novel. Walton talks of his great desire for a friend and someone who understands him. Both Robert Walton and Victor Frankenstein wanted a friend, and both are very selfish in a way and have an insatiable thirst for the unexplored or unknown and want to be the first.
Victor sees himself in him and therefore warns him slightly of his experience and mistake. He is wiser than Robert Walton because of his tragic experience and what he's learned about himself, unfortunately a little too late, seeing as how his adventure ends on the ship and Walton's is just beginning. By telling him the story of the Monster, Frankenstein hopes to warn and dissuade Walton from being so eager to go on his adventure without recognizing the costs.
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 19 members 232 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: