Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Russian short stories

Elsewhere some of us have been hankering after the stories of Pushkin and Chekov (and perhaps Gogol). BillP suggested that I send a note to the Classics board. This is English classics, I know, but I assume we would read them in English. Would anyone else be interested in reading some Russian short stories somewhere down the road? I'd also like to put in a plug for "Eugene Onegin." I am currently watching nine video productions of Tchaikovsky's opera, but I like Pushkin's original novel in verse even better.
"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

Re: Russian short stories

Laurel wrote:
Elsewhere some of us have been hankering after the stories of Pushkin and Chekov (and perhaps Gogol). BillP suggested that I send a note to the Classics board. This is English classics, I know, but I assume we would read them in English. Would anyone else be interested in reading some Russian short stories somewhere down the road? I'd also like to put in a plug for "Eugene Onegin." I am currently watching nine video productions of Tchaikovsky's opera, but I like Pushkin's original novel in verse even better.

yummy yummy. Yes! Dostoevsky's Notes From Underground is going to be a featured classic in two months, but I would love to dig into some other russians too.

Ilana
Check out my book, here and visit my website, here.

Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

I am really looking forward to "Notes from the Undergraound," Ilana! Will you be leading it? I'm currently reading "The Brothers Karamazov" and enjoying it even more now than I did as a teenager.

IlanaSimons wrote:

Laurel wrote:

yummy yummy. Yes! Dostoevsky's Notes From Underground is going to be a featured classic in two months, but I would love to dig into some other russians too.

"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

So many books, so little time. With only twelve (or perhaps 24 if Ilana is up to two at a time) featured classic books a year, how can they choose? And if we add in all the international classics (Russian, German, and yes, there are a few, French, Spanish, anybody for Cervantes?, etc.) as well as the British classics, how can they possibly narrow it down to one or two selections a month?
0 Kudos

Laurel wrote:
I am really looking forward to "Notes from the Undergraound," Ilana! Will you be leading it? I'm currently reading "The Brothers Karamazov" and enjoying it even more now than I did as a teenager.

Yes--I'll be leading that one. We'll have fun with the depressed man!

Ilana

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

For Ilana: European Classics

Ilana, I asked BillP a question on the Help & Important Information board:

pmath wrote (here):
Bill, since our British Classics moderator, Ilana, is also moderating separate discussions on European classics, would you consider expanding the range of the British Classics board, to British & European Classics?

IlanaSimons wrote:

Laurel wrote:
I am really looking forward to "Notes from the Undergraound," Ilana! Will you be leading it?
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: For Ilana: European Classics

I also asked Bill about a European Classics board pmath, some time ago. As Britain is now part of the European Economic Community I suppose that British Classics are now technically European classics but I don't think that is what 'literary' people generally class them as. It would be a good compromise to class them all under British & European Classics. Maybe we could have an American & Canadian Classics too - or would that be North American Classics?

pmath wrote:

pmath wrote (here):
Bill, since our British Classics moderator, Ilana, is also moderating separate discussions on European classics, would you consider expanding the range of the British Classics board, to British & European Classics?

IlanaSimons wrote:

Laurel wrote:
I am really looking forward to "Notes from the Undergraound," Ilana! Will you be leading it?

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

More on Classics

Yes, I thought of just European Classics, too, but, as you noted, some people might find it confusing! I asked Bill the question because Ilana is moderating discussions on German and Russian literature, too: I'm not sure how far Bob's range of professional interests extends, but someone could ask him, on the American Classics board.

Choisya wrote:
I also asked Bill about a European Classics board pmath, some time ago. As Britain is now part of the European Economic Community I suppose that British Classics are now technically European classics but I don't think that is what 'literary' people generally class them as. It would be a good compromise to class them all under British & European Classics. Maybe we could have an American & Canadian Classics too - or would that be North American Classics?

pmath wrote:

pmath wrote (here):
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

I want a separate board!!! European Classics

[ Edited ]

Choisya wrote:
I also asked Bill about a European Classics board pmath, some time ago. As Britain is now part of the European Economic Community I suppose that British Classics are now technically European classics....
--------
now that is this old colonial thinking, Choisya...LOL
I think BN should set up a section for European Classics...there goes Russia , France, Italy, Spain....Sancho, Sancho, pitch in even Ibsen and Strindberg if you wish...and we haben die Deutche auch... etc etc...this board would be too overloaded and unmanageable. Ilana please speak to them in urdu, too!

IMHO We need to stick to the categories...

Bill, please, set up Europe for us and we can handle it ourselves....let it be a free board if it is too difficult to find a learned moderator-we can run it ourselves plus other moderators can jump in at will on books they love themselves... Ilana and Bob or extra teachers... ho hoooo!

RUSSIA OUT OF GREAT BRITTAIN****** RUSSIA OUT OF GREAT BRITTAIN*****

ziki

Message Edited by ziki on 01-31-200711:34 PM

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

to Laurel

[ Edited ]
How can you read Moby and Karamazov and the whole rest? In Russian, too?
Are you some übermensch? I am impresed!

ziki :-)

Message Edited by ziki on 01-31-200711:41 PM

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

But seriously Ilana..over my dead body I want the whole bunch from Greeks to Geeks here among Brits!!

Please straighten it out.
ziki
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Re: More on Classics

Bob's range is immense.

pmath wrote:
Yes, I thought of just European Classics, too, but, as you noted, some people might find it confusing! I asked Bill the question because Ilana is moderating discussions on German and Russian literature, too: I'm not sure how far Bob's range of professional interests extends, but someone could ask him, on the American Classics board.

Choisya wrote:

pmath wrote:

pmath wrote (here):

Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Re: to Laurel

ziki wrote:
How can you read Moby and Karamazov and the whole rest? In Russian, too?
Are you some übermensch? I am impresed!

ziki :-)

Message Edited by ziki on 01-31-200711:41 PM

No' no! The Russian is limited to things like "Bring me, please, some beet-root soup."

My secret is audio books. I have to rest a lot, and that's the only way I can force myself to do it. This afternoon I spent a lot of time on and waiting for a bus to go into town for some warm-water exercise. I took along my new little MP3 player and listened to "The Brothers Karamazov" on the way there and some British poetry on the way back.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

We definitely need a place for the true Western classics -- the Greek and Roman works. All since is just modern stuff. [g]

I haven't bugged Bob, Kevin, and Bob about setting that up yet, because they're still busy getting things settled in, but soon we need to see where Homer, Plato, Aristotle, Herodotus, Sophocles, Euripides, Virgil, Ovid, et. al. will find their place here at BNBC.
0 Kudos

And would you still be willing to teach Homer if they do set one up?

Melissa/Redcatlady

Everyman wrote:
We definitely need a place for the true Western classics -- the Greek and Roman works. All since is just modern stuff. [g]

I haven't bugged Bob, Kevin, and Bob about setting that up yet, because they're still busy getting things settled in, but soon we need to see where Homer, Plato, Aristotle, Herodotus, Sophocles, Euripides, Virgil, Ovid, et. al. will find their place here at BNBC.

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: European and other Classics Sections

[ Edited ]
LOL Ziki. The reason I thought British & European better wasn't because I was thinking 'colonially' (I am a keen European) but because I thought that folks entering the boards might not know where to look for British Classics (which are always well favoured here) if they were included within European only. Would folks here think of Austen, Bronte or Gaskell as 'European', I wonder? If they do, well and good:smileyhappy:

'RUSSIA OUT OF GREAT BRITTAIN':smileyhappy:: Technically Russia is part of Europe, at least up to the Ural mountains, and is likely to become part of the European Community in a few year's time. The Tzars intermarried with European nobility and the language spoken at Court until the Revolution was French, so they are not really the outsiders they became during the Cold War:smileysad:

Within the British & European section, if we get one, I think a distinction might need to be made for Eastern European works because the cultures in those countries are rather different from those of Northern Europe, like Britain, France, Germany, Spain and until quite recently their writing (and music and art) was affected by the 50+ years domination by Soviet Russia and communism. And historically their writing, music and art have been more influenced by the exotic Eastern countries on their borders than by their cold-blooded Northern cousins:smileyhappy:

Ancient Greek and Latin literature would normally be classed (at least at Oxford) under 'Classical Studies'(or 'The Classics'), not British and/or European Classics and would include Ancient History, Archeology and Philosophy. Some Classics were done by the old BNU - I seem to remember that Jerry Weinstein moderated Ovid's Metamorphoses so presumably he is a Classics scholar? I expect BillP & Co could set up a Classical Studies section too, if there is a demand.

Whilst we are talking about expansion is anyone in favour of extending the American Classics to North American Classics and including those from Canada? Then we could have South American Classics and then.........

Someone else has spoken of including more works from China and given that they are likely to be a very dominant culture soon, I think an Oriental section might also be a good idea.....:smileyvery-happy:

Those poor B&N techies - what tasks we set them!!!:smileysurprised:

ziki wrote:

Choisya wrote:
I also asked Bill about a European Classics board pmath, some time ago. As Britain is now part of the European Economic Community I suppose that British Classics are now technically European classics....
--------
now that is this old colonial thinking, Choisya...LOL
I think BN should set up a section for European Classics...there goes Russia , France, Italy, Spain....Sancho, Sancho, pitch in even Ibsen and Strindberg if you wish...and we haben die Deutche auch... etc etc...this board would be too overloaded and unmanageable. Ilana please speak to them in urdu, too!

IMHO We need to stick to the categories...

Bill, please, set up Europe for us and we can handle it ourselves....let it be a free board if it is too difficult to find a learned moderator-we can run it ourselves plus other moderators can jump in at will on books they love themselves... Ilana and Bob or extra teachers... ho hoooo!

RUSSIA OUT OF GREAT BRITTAIN****** RUSSIA OUT OF GREAT BRITTAIN*****

ziki

Message Edited by ziki on 01-31-200711:34 PM

Message Edited by Choisya on 02-01-200708:47 AM

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Re: European and other Classics boards

One way or the other we grow global...but I was thinking more about the technical consequences, the structure. I still find the new format cumbersome to handle especially when many old posts pile up on top of each other...so that alone was more my concern....to have it divided in chunks.

I know you thought the modern EU way!
:-)
ziki
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: European and other Classics boards

[ Edited ]
Yes and the more global the better - Melville would like it - a new brother/sister/hood of man/woman with unmolested Moby Dicks roaming the oceans from North to South:smileyvery-happy: BNUers forming the first world government.......Readers Of The World Unite!:smileysurprised:

I wonder if Danielle would moderate a French classic for us - it would nice to have someone living there and speaking the lingo moderating a Zola, for instance?

ziki wrote:
One way or the other we grow global...but I was thinking more about the technical consequences, the structure. I still find the new format cumbersome to handle especially when many old posts pile up on top of each other...so that alone was more my concern....to have it divided in chunks.

I know you thought the modern EU way!
:-)
ziki

Message Edited by Choisya on 02-01-200709:51 AM

Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

pmath wrote:

CLARIFICATION!
I have two hats at B&N. One is moderating the British Classics Board. The other is choosing one "classic" book to moderate each month. That classic book does _not_ need to be British. The Classics I've moderated have been these:
Dec: Frankenstein
Jan: Kafka
Feb (coming): The Good Soldier
March: Notes from Underground.

That's it: I have two hats: one overseeing this Brit Classics Board, and one leading an indvidual classic book each month.

Ilana

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Translations of Classics

[ Edited ]
On the other hand, differing translations might be an issue for discussions on classics not written in English: perhaps they're best confined to separate boards after all, for which Ilana also selects a specific version.

Utopia is a British classic originally written in Latin, but we can at least use the same online version for quotes when we discuss it in March!

IlanaSimons wrote:
I have two hats at B&N. One is moderating the British Classics Board. The other is choosing one "classic" book to moderate each month. That classic book does _not_ need to be British.

Message Edited by pmath on 02-02-200709:20 PM

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 344 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: