Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Re: More on Classics

Absolutely. The Iliad and Odyssey are such wonderful books and far too seldom read. But it does help to discuss them with others because there are some concepts, approaches to life, etc. that are unfamiliar to our modern conceptions and it helps a lot to have some background and understand the importance of such concepts as menis, kleos, and time (which is not at all the English word time, but the Greek term pronounced tee may) which are crucial concepts to really understanding the Greeks.

Redcatlady wrote:
And would you still be willing to teach Homer if they do set one up?

Melissa/Redcatlady

Everyman wrote:
We definitely need a place for the true Western classics -- the Greek and Roman works. All since is just modern stuff. [g]

I haven't bugged Bob, Kevin, and Bob about setting that up yet, because they're still busy getting things settled in, but soon we need to see where Homer, Plato, Aristotle, Herodotus, Sophocles, Euripides, Virgil, Ovid, et. al. will find their place here at BNBC.

0 Kudos

Re: European and other Classics boards

[ Edited ]
One way or the other we grow global...but I was thinking more about the technical consequences, the structure. I still find the new format cumbersome to handle especially when many old posts pile up on top of each other...so that alone was more my concern....to have it divided in chunks.

I agree. More boards with narrower focus and therefore more targeted posts is better, I think than lumping too much together under one board. If British and European classics were to be combined under one board, the number of topics/threads would quickly swell to several pages, making it harder, particularly for newcomers or less active posters, to navigate and find things.

Message Edited by Everyman on 02-01-200712:42 PM

0 Kudos

IlanaSimons wrote:

CLARIFICATION!
I have two hats at B&N. One is moderating the British Classics Board. The other is choosing one "classic" book to moderate each month. That classic book does _not_ need to be British. The Classics I've moderated have been these:
Dec: Frankenstein
Jan: Kafka
Feb (coming): The Good Soldier
March: Notes from Underground.

That's it: I have two hats: one overseeing this Brit Classics Board, and one leading an indvidual classic book each month.

And awesome hats they are.
"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

what a sweet thing to say. You made my day. Thanks.

Ilana
Check out my book, here and visit my website, here.

Inspired Wordsmith
chadadanielleKR
0 Kudos

Choisya wrote:

I wonder if Danielle would moderate a French classic for us - it would nice to have someone living there and speaking the lingo moderating a Zola, for instance?

That would be a good idea but I must decline for now; my free time is much too limited for such an undertaking.Thank you for your thought.
Danielle
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

chadadanielleKR wrote:

Choisya wrote:

I wonder if Danielle would moderate a French classic for us - it would nice to have someone living there and speaking the lingo moderating a Zola, for instance?

That would be a good idea but I must decline for now; my free time is much too limited for such an undertaking.Thank you for your thought.
Danielle

No, of course it can't happen now bu tlet us know when. Splendid idea, Choisya!!!
ziki
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Agree, as the technical set up looks right now it takes an awful lot of time to navigate when it gets too bulky...we were afraid of it a couple of months ago and now it is a fact.

ziki
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Re: to Laurel

aaahh, I see...xoroso (that is supposed to be good in russ)
ziki
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Re: to Laurel

ziki wrote:
aaahh, I see...xoroso (that is supposed to be good in russ)
ziki

Xoroscho.
"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

I particularly like what you've done with the trimming on the white straw.
0 Kudos

Re: Russian short stories

Right now I am reading the BN Classics book Ward No. 6 and other Stories by Anton Chekhov, and I am really liking them. I enjoyed A Dead Body and another one which I can not remember. I know that it was about a man who had to cross a river and there was a priest who was opperating the ferry and they had a converstaion, I think it was called something like Easter Eve.
I have heard people say that Chekhov has bad and boring descriptions, I do not think that they bad or boring. Does anyone agree with me one that?

We make war that we may live in peace- Aristotle
The important thing, is to keep the important thing the important thing.
-Albert Einstein
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Re: Russian short stories

historybuff234 wrote:
Right now I am reading the BN Classics book Ward No. 6 and other Stories by Anton Chekhov, and I am really liking them. I enjoyed A Dead Body and another one which I can not remember. I know that it was about a man who had to cross a river and there was a priest who was opperating the ferry and they had a converstaion, I think it was called something like Easter Eve.
I have heard people say that Chekhov has bad and boring descriptions, I do not think that they bad or boring. Does anyone agree with me one that?

We make war that we may live in peace- Aristotle

I only know his plays so far, Buff, and they are haunting. I'd really like to get into his stories.
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 48 members 1,065 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: