Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

The Bard: All Things Shakespeare

[ Edited ]
Is anyone here missing Shakespeare like I'm missing Shakespeare?

Message Edited by IlanaSimons on 12-07-200602:40 PM

"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

Re: The Bard: All Things Shakespeare

Laurel wrote:

An excellent suggestion, Laurel. I only tweaked the headline of your thread so that we could keep it as the ongoing one. Offical now: This thread is for the discussion of Shakespeare.

Ilana
Check out my book, here and visit my website, here.

Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Thanks, Ilana, for the swift response! I'm reading "Twelfth Night" now. It's full of charm, but there's a bit of cruelty to it as well, which is somewhat disturbing.
"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Discussing the whole of Shakespeare seems a very tall order!!! I haven't discussed any S with B&N so would be interested in doing so providing we get down to some specifics:smileyhappy:

IlanaSimons wrote:

Laurel wrote:

An excellent suggestion, Laurel. I only tweaked the headline of your thread so that we could keep it as the ongoing one. Offical now: This thread is for the discussion of Shakespeare.

Message Edited by Choisya on 12-08-200604:55 AM

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Choisya,
thanks for trying to keep things in human perspective. ;-)

Previously Shakespeare was at least divided into comedies and tragedies. I didn't get to that but with this "say what you want whenever you want" style I won't either. Too haphazard for me.

ziki
Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

ziki wrote:
Choisya,

Previously Shakespeare was at least divided into comedies and tragedies. I didn't get to that but with this "say what you want whenever you want" style I won't either. Too haphazard for me.

ziki

Because the general British and American Classics boards are your own creative space, I'm all ears for Shakespeare Thread format suggestions. If anyone is particularly interested in a certain angle now, commandeer the thread.

Ilana

Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Okay. How about The Play of the Month Club. We choose a Shakespeare play, read it, discuss it, share what our favorite criticisms, videos, live performances, audio versions, on-line helps, etc. We could "vote" on which play to do, take them chronologically, alternate comedy, tragedy, history, as you like it. Or we could do two plays a month, a play every three weeks, we just need to decide. Here's our chance to have some say and do what we want to do. It would be great to have a Shakespeare scholar to head it up, of course....

IlanaSimons wrote:

ziki wrote:
Choisya,

ziki

Because the general British and American Classics boards are your own creative space, I'm all ears for Shakespeare Thread format suggestions. If anyone is particularly interested in a certain angle now, commandeer the thread.

Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

Laurel wrote:
Okay. How about The Play of the Month Club. We choose a Shakespeare play, read it, discuss it, share what our favorite criticisms, videos, live performances, audio versions, on-line helps, etc. We could "vote" on which play to do, take them chronologically, alternate comedy, tragedy, history, as you like it. Or we could do two plays a month, a play every three weeks, we just need to decide. Here's our chance to have some say and do what we want to do. It would be great to have a Shakespeare scholar to head it up, of course....

Sounds interesting, Laurel. Is there other interest in this idea? If so, does anyone want to suggest a first play?

Ilana

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
IS:Is there other interest in this idea? If so, does anyone want to suggest a first play?
-----

(Laurel suggested just about everything.)

Hi,

Macbeth, tragedies first, comedies later.Sonets after that. A systematic approach to the whole discussion...work by work..slow tempo. In this case study Shakespeare the whole 2007.

ziki

Message Edited by ziki on 12-08-200609:40 PM

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: All Things Shakespeare : Starters?

[ Edited ]
Because there will be those on these boards who have not tackled any Shakespeare, or have only done him briefly at school, I suggest we start with one of the favourite Comedies, perhaps The Taming of the Shrew which is a glorious sexist romp. For those who would also like to see a film version, the superb one made with Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton in 1967 is now on DVD. Or there is the cross-dressing mix up of Twelfth Night, which has a modern version on DVD with Helena Bonham-Carter and Nigel Hawthorne. All of Shakespeare's works are online here

http://www-tech.mit.edu/Shakespeare/

although I expect B&N publish some nice copies with good notes etc.:-

IlanaSimons wrote:

Laurel wrote:

Sounds interesting, Laurel. Is there other interest in this idea? If so, does anyone want to suggest a first play?

Message Edited by Choisya on 12-08-200607:02 PM

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: All Things Shakespeare : A bit of cross-culture:)

I was reading the Introduction to my UK edition of Moby Dick tonight and came across this quote from Melville, which I though was pertinent to this thread:-

"In February 1849 Melville would write of the profound jolt he recieved on his first thorough reading of Shakespeare: 'Dolt and ass that I am I have lived more than 29 years, and until a few days ago, never made close acquaintance with the divine William. Ah, he's full of sermons-on-the-mount, and gentle, aye, almost as Jesus. I take such men to be inspired. I fancy that this moment Shakespeare in heaven ranks with Gabriel, Raphael and Michael. And if another Messiah ever comes, 'twill be in Shakespeare's person.' Praise indeed!
Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

Choisya wrote:
I was reading the Introduction to my UK edition of Moby Dick tonight and came across this quote from Melville, which I though was pertinent to this thread:-

"In February 1849 Melville would write of the profound jolt he recieved on his first thorough reading of Shakespeare: 'Dolt and ass that I am I have lived more than 29 years, and until a few days ago, never made close acquaintance with the divine William. Ah, he's full of sermons-on-the-mount, and gentle, aye, almost as Jesus. I take such men to be inspired. I fancy that this moment Shakespeare in heaven ranks with Gabriel, Raphael and Michael. And if another Messiah ever comes, 'twill be in Shakespeare's person.' Praise indeed!

There is a critic, Wayne Booth, who says that literature is a window onto a writer's moral bearing. The best writers convey a deep sense of caring, the "gentleness" that Melville found.

Ilana

Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

What a great find, Choisya! That's high praise indeed.

Choisya wrote:

Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

What do the men think?

Here's just a thought. We have a great deal on our Brit Lit boards here about women writers and women in literature. What Shakespeare play would the men out there like to begin with. Are there any men, out there?
Frequent Contributor
holyboy
0 Kudos

Re: What do the men think?

Laurel wrote:
Here's just a thought. We have a great deal on our Brit Lit boards here about women writers and women in literature. What Shakespeare play would the men out there like to begin with. Are there any men, out there?

I think that doing Shakespeare in one year is highly ambitious and I have to commend you all for the ambition. I'd like to sign up.

I don't have a preference for which play to tackle first. I will confess I have not read them all, so I would look forward to much pleasurable learning.
Frequent Contributor
leakybucket
0 Kudos

IlanaSimons wrote:

Laurel wrote:

British classics is a good place for working out what we want to do with Shakespeare, but these boards get very unmanageable very fast and I think there would be a lot of posting on Shakespeare. It really needs its own board. In fact each play would need its own board. I'm for a play a month.

Bucky
Frequent Contributor
leakybucket
0 Kudos

ziki wrote:
Choisya,

ziki

I think an organized board would work like the one set up for Moby Dick. Also the boards, and it is a good idea in Moby Dick as well, needs a separate thread for Chit Chat and maybe an Introduce Yourself Thread like the old boards had. that would keep irrelevant comments our of the main discussion threads.

Bucky
Frequent Contributor
leakybucket
0 Kudos

Laurel wrote:

A play a month beginning on the 1st of the month would make planning easier. I like the idea of alternating in the different areas--comedy, tragedies, histories, and lets not forget the plays like the Tempest. However, some of the Histories are nice to do in sequence like Richard II, the two Henry IV, and Henry V.

Bucky
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Special Board for the Bard

Thank you, Choisya and Bucky for pointing me to the Moby Dick board. I was one of the starters of the MD stampede, but I sure didn't find the discussion on my own. Ilana, There's a note near the top of the American Lit page with a link to Moby Dick. I guess if I saw it I thought it was just a link to the B&N edition, which I already have. Am I the only blind one? Here's Moby:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/bn/board?board.id=MobyDick
Frequent Contributor
leakybucket
0 Kudos

---------------------

Why don't we start with one of the biggies to attract a big interest group. We could pick something from the old Shakespeare line-up. They were:

Hamlet
Macbeth
Othello
King Lear
Antony and Cleopatra

Midsummer Night's Dream
As You Like It
Much Ado About Nothing
12th Night

Bucky
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count