Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

BN Editor
LitEditor
0 Kudos

Update on Classics from the Book Clubs Editors

Hi Everyone --

There's been a lot of great conversation, and debate, in the classics area, which is nice to see. It reinforces for us that the classics will continue to be a big area for the Book Clubs, even bigger than it was at BNU.

Given that, I thought it would be good for us to shed some light on the plans we've made for classics in the coming weeks (and beyond).

First, you all know that the Moby-Dick conversation is up and running. This was a late addition for us, but it was something the group requested early, and our dedicated moderator Bob Fanuzzi was able to pull it off.

I know we all thank him for that -- even if we didn't communicate the time the board would be open as clearly as we could have. Don't blame Bob -- we asked him to move things up from his original announced date of the 26th, so that the conversation wouldn't interfere with the already-scheduled discussions of The Jungle and Kafka's Metamorphosis and Other Stories. (Those conversations, by the way, will begin after the holidays, on January 8th.) It's clear that this has caused some confusion, and our "fast-tracking" of this group is to blame. We'll work to avoid this sort of problem in the future.

As I mentioned in a previous message posted to the British Classics discussion, we are also getting a dedicated Shakespeare Book Club underway. This is something that we've always planned to offer, and we know that many in the community have been clamoring for it. We'll have more details on this as we know them, but we will be announcing our start date and first play just as soon as we can.

Finally, just a note about the question of "structure" and "schedule" in the American Classics and British Classics groups. Our hope is to provide a balance of structure and open discussion space by maintaining these more permanent groups alongside a rotating schedule of groups dedicated to a single book or text. It's been great to see the great variety of subjects and discussions that have sprung up in the American Classics and British Classics.

We want to encourage everyone to continue using these spaces to start conversations about books we haven't (or haven't yet) been able to devote a separate board to. The general boards can handle multiple threads, but please don't expect Bob (or Ilana, our British Classics moderator) to "teach" each one. We're following the threads in order to help us plan future "dedicated" groups, so keep the ideas coming -- and enjoy the conversation in the meantime.

Thanks, as always for your passion, your participation, and your feedback.

Bill
Lit. and Fiction Editor, Barnes & Noble Book Clubs

P.S. I'm going to post this message throughout our classics boards, so you'll see it crop up in several places.

See the latest news about book clubs in the Book Clubs Blog.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Re: Update on Classics from the Book Clubs Editors

Several people here have expressed interest in reading and discussing Paradise Lost, at a not frenetic pace. I notice that BN has a Classics edition of PL, so it would seem to fit into your general parameters of classic works worth reading and discussing. Would you consider adding it to the schedule sometime in the next few months?

Thanks!
0 Kudos

Re: Update on Classics from the Book Clubs Editors

Everyman wrote:
Several people here have expressed interest in reading and discussing Paradise Lost, at a not frenetic pace. I notice that BN has a Classics edition of PL, so it would seem to fit into your general parameters of classic works worth reading and discussing. Would you consider adding it to the schedule sometime in the next few months?

Thanks!

Thanks for the suggestion, Everyman. We'll add it to the list of works to consider for upcoming featured discussions.

See the latest news about book clubs in the Book Clubs Blog.
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 34 members 242 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: