Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

War and Peace-question

[ Edited ]
Obviously there are two versions of War and Peace. The one which was known just in academia was published in Moscow 2000 and became a success, also in France and Germany. It's shorter , have another plot and ends differently. I wonder did anyone here happen to read it? And if so how would you compare it to the well known version?

ziki

Message Edited by ziki on 01-05-200703:55 AM

Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Re: War and Peace-question

I've never heard of another War and Peace. Was it also by Tolstoy? Was it perhaps an earlier draft or an abridgement? What's the story??
0 Kudos

Are you perhaps talking about the opera, Ziki? I have DVDs of the Moscow production and the Paris production, and they are not exactly the same.
"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Ziki: Another War and Peace book?? The original, by Leo Tolstoy, was published in the 1860s and I don't know of a subsequent publication unless the Russians have published an abridged one recently. It is a much prized Russian heritage:smileyhappy: There have been many translations - my old Penguin edition uses the one by Princess Alexandra Kropotkin. There is also a series of Russian films of W&P on VHS (maybe now on DVD) and these are very good, although you have to use sub-titles.

ziki wrote:
Obviously there are two versions of War and Peace. The one which was known just in academia was published in Moscow 2000 and became a success, also in France and Germany. It's shorter , have another plot and ends differently. I wonder did anyone here happen to read it? And if so how would you compare it to the well known version?

ziki

Message Edited by Choisya on 01-05-200707:37 PM

Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Oh, yes! There are several excellent films, but the Russian one is by far my favorite. I understand there is a new one being made in Russia now, and perhaps another one in Europe.

There's something running around in the back of my mind that ziki might be thinking of, though--something about some of Tolstoy's manuscripts found in the archives that were locked up for so many years and now have been opened to scholars. I'll try to find where I read that.

Choisya wrote:
Ziki: Another War and Peace book?? The original, by Leo Tolstoy, was published in the 1860s and I don't know of a subsequent publication unless the Russians have published an abridged one recently. It is a much prized Russian heritage:smileyhappy: There have been many translations - my old Penguin edition uses the one by Princess Alexandra Kropotkin. There is also a series of Russian films of W&P on VHS (maybe now on DVD) and these are very good, although you have to use sub-titles.

ziki wrote:

ziki

"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: Ziki War and Peace-question

I don't recall anything about this Laurel and have done a thorough search of the net too. Come in Ziki! Count Vladimir Tolstoy, keeper of the Tolstoy archive, spends a lot of time in the UK and I think we would have had any news about a new book or new manuscript here. The archive, which the Tolstoys guard like gold, is in a museum on their estate (formerly Tolstoy's house) just outside of Moscow and there have from time to time been family quarrels about how it is kept. It is a strange situation because the Russian state owns the archive but somehow the Tolstoys (who are a huge European family) have managed to keep the administration of it. It is somewhere I would love to visit and might try to do so when/if I do my Trans-Siberian railway trip.

Is your Russian good enough for you to understand the dialogue in the Russian films? I don't mind sub titles and found the films enthralling. I belong to a DVD club and had them out over the summer. I will look out for the new Russian film of W&P - thanks.

Laurel wrote:
Oh, yes! There are several excellent films, but the Russian one is by far my favorite. I understand there is a new one being made in Russia now, and perhaps another one in Europe.

There's something running around in the back of my mind that ziki might be thinking of, though--something about some of Tolstoy's manuscripts found in the archives that were locked up for so many years and now have been opened to scholars. I'll try to find where I read that.

Choisya wrote:

ziki wrote:

ziki

Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Re: Ziki War and Peace-question

No, unless they're meeting and greeting or asking for beet root soup! I got the Russian King Lear without subtitles by mistake, though, and could understand it really well, but I know Lear well. That really made it rewarding.

Choisya wrote:
Is your Russian good enough for you to understand the dialogue in the Russian films? I don't mind sub titles and found the films enthralling. I belong to a DVD club and had them out over the summer. I will look out for the new Russian film of W&P - thanks.

Laurel wrote:

Choisya wrote:

ziki wrote:

ziki

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 76 members 741 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: