Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
historybuff234
0 Kudos

Wilkie Collins

Hey everybody, this summer I have decided to order a bunch of books and read them over the summer. Some of them are by Wilkie Collins, I am for sure reading The Moonstone. I am debating about reading The Woman in White, I am wondering if anyone here can tell me if it is a book. It sounds very good, but I want to know what your opinions are. Also what is The Woman in White about?
The important thing, is to keep the important thing the important thing.
-Albert Einstein
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

Re: Wilkie Collins

The Woman in White is considered a mid-Victorian forerunner to the modern mystery/thriller novel, as is The Moonstone. The title refers to the character of Anne Catherick who has a strange preference for dressing entirely in white. The main storyline concerns the drawing teacher Walter Hartwright, who is engaged to teach Laura Fairlie (and by extension her half-sister Marian Halcombe) at Limmeridge House. Walter and Laura fall in love, but as it happens in Victorian novels, things go awry and badly, too. It's tough to give a concise picture of the book because plot elements are very easily given away.

TWIW was originally published in installments, much like Dickens, and the novel's true fascination lies in the fact that the point-of-view of the novel shifts depending on who is telling the story - Walter, Marian, the housekeeper, the family lawyer, Mr. Fairlie, Count Fosco, etc. Any one of them can be complicit in the rather shady turns of the plot, so the reader must decide which character is truthful and which is lying.

historybuff234 wrote:
Hey everybody, this summer I have decided to order a bunch of books and read them over the summer. Some of them are by Wilkie Collins, I am for sure reading The Moonstone. I am debating about reading The Woman in White, I am wondering if anyone here can tell me if it is a book. It sounds very good, but I want to know what your opinions are. Also what is The Woman in White about?

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Inspired Contributor
katknit
0 Kudos

historybuff234 wrote:

Collins is considered the originator of the English murder mystery genre. Moonstone and Woman in White are both very good. I think you'll like them.
No two persons ever read the same book. [Edmund Wilson]
New User
CathieG
0 Kudos

Hi,
     I have just stumbled on to Wilkie Collins myself.  I read The Woman in White and immediately picked up seven more of his novels and short stories.  Who is the woman in white? Well, you will have to read it to find out.  I can tell you this was the best historically dated mystery I have ever read.  The characters and stories he creates are absolutely amazing.  I'd be interested to hear how you your opinion is once you finish it.
-CathieG
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

I read TWIW a few years ago in serial form, as it was published, having to wait a week for each episode just as the original readers had to. It was a fascinating reading experience, very different from being able to read the story straight through in a few days.

CathieG wrote:
Hi,
I have just stumbled on to Wilkie Collins myself. I read The Woman in White and immediately picked up seven more of his novels and short stories. Who is the woman in white? Well, you will have to read it to find out. I can tell you this was the best historically dated mystery I have ever read. The characters and stories he creates are absolutely amazing. I'd be interested to hear how you your opinion is once you finish it.
-CathieG

0 Kudos

I just read the Woman In White.  It was really a great read.  As I was reading it, some parts I thought there wasn't any point to and I thought it kinda went on  and on at some points but in the end, you needed to know everything to understand the story.
"Tomorrow Is A brand New Day With No Mistakes In It" Anne of Green Gables
Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

I just bought "Woman in White" myself. Well, actually, I bought it with a gift card after Christmas, but I haven't had a chance to get to it yet. I read "The Moonstone" in high school. Dickens and Collins were contemporaries. Writers of the time were paid by the page, so if it was possible to draw something out, they would. No lacking for detail, this was not an age of minimalism in the craft of writing. I will probably approach it in the serial way: perhaps read two or three chapters and read something else for a week, until I'm done. Sounds like fun! I tend to read 2 or 3 books at a time, anyway, not including audio books.
"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
Contributor
CousinMary
0 Kudos

I started Woman in White and I have to admit I didn't care for it much.  The Marian character seemed very down on women and I was a little irked by a lot of what came out of her mouth.  The story other than that was good, but sometimes when something bothers you enough it ruins the whole experience.
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 38 members 232 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: