Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

CANDIDE in Other Media

By request of club member, Peppermill, here's a thread for discussion of CANDIDE as it is presented in other media--audiobooks, film, plays, etc.

Have you encountered CANDIDE in other forms?  If so, what was the form, and what did you think of it?

~ConnieK
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
New User
vronka2
0 Kudos

CANDIDE in Other Media

[ Edited ]
There is a fun DVD of Candide, the Musical. Kristin Chenoweth plays Cunegonde and Patty Lupone plays The Old Woman.

Message Edited by ConnieK on 03-03-2008 11:30 AM
New User
grayelf
0 Kudos

Re: Chapters 1-10

I saw the Bernstein musical on Broadway too many years ago and loved it.
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Re: Chapters 1-10

vronka2 wrote: There is a fun DVD of Candide, the Musical. Kristin Chenoweth plays Cunegonde and Patty Lupone plays The Old Woman.
Here's a PDF that comments on a production of the opera shortly after 9/11:

http://www.festivalopera.com/voice/Voice0605_web.pdf
"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Re: CANDIDE in Other Media

Thanks, Connie. I haven't learned how to create a thread yet -- sort of a defer to the leadership of the moderator attitude, but with a willingness to place requests for consideration. So, again, thanks. Pepper
"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
No problem at all.  It is easy, though, Pepper, to start a new thread.  You simply click on "New Message" at the top left of the board.  You have to be on the screen that shows all the threads, not the "Reply" screen for replying to a single post within a thread.  Hope this helps other people also!

Please feel free, everyone, to let me know if you have any questions!

~ConnieK

Peppermill wrote:
Thanks, Connie. I haven't learned how to create a thread yet -- sort of a defer to the leadership of the moderator attitude, but with a willingness to place requests for consideration. So, again, thanks. Pepper

Message Edited by ConnieK on 03-05-2008 06:40 PM
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Re: CANDIDE in Other Media -- Creating New Threads

Thanks for the tutorial, Connie. I shall now try it sometime!

ConnieK wrote:
No problem at all. It is easy, though, Pepper, to start a new thread. You simply click on "New Message" at the top left of the board. You have to be on the screen that shows all the threads, not the "Reply" screen for replying to a single post within a thread. Hope this helps other people also!

Please feel free, everyone, to let me know if you have any questions!

~ConnieK

Peppermill wrote:

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Re: CANDIDE in Other Media -- Bernstein's Overture

Thought some of you might enjoy seeing this video of Leonard Bernstein conducting his Overture to Candide:

EnJOY!

~ConnieK
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Discovered tonight that Bernstein's Candide is playing at New York City Opera in April!

http://www.nycopera.com/browse/production.aspx?prod=61
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Thanks, Pepper.  I've been meaning to post that for a few days now but kept forgetting!

~ConnieK

Peppermill wrote:
Discovered tonight that Bernstein's Candide is playing at New York City Opera in April!

http://www.nycopera.com/browse/production.aspx?prod=61

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Users Online
Currently online: 13 members 243 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: