Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Introduce Yourselves!

Hello, Readers!

Let's use this thread to introduce ourselves to the group.  Have you read CANDIDE before?  Is this the first time?  What draws you to participate in this book club? 

Don't forget to avoid "spoilers" about the book if you have read it before.

~ConnieK
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
New User
grayelf
0 Kudos

Introduce Yourselves!

[ Edited ]
I would like to know who I'm crossing pens with.  Here's a brief bio.

I was born 68 years ago outside Boston and now live in NJ.  One slightly older sister (who's a light brighter than I) who I adore.  One 29 year old son who lives in Florida.

My major schooling was at Cornell as a chemical engineer with a minor in biochemistry.  I've gone to three other schools while working and am presently retired and auditing courses at Rutgers.  I've always been interested in history, literature, art and music as well as science.  Studying Candide seems like a great addition to my activities.

Message Edited by ConnieK on 03-01-2008 11:55 AM
New User
vronka2
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourselves!

Hi Connie: My name is Veronica, and I am a copy editor as well as an adjunct instructor in English. This semester I'm teaching World Lit II, and we just finished our study of Candide. I am looking forward to reading various points of view on the work.

Contributor
demarcodarcy
0 Kudos

Hi! I'm darcydemarco, and I have read Candide. I read it in French, in college, twenty-seven years ago. I also read Voltaire's Micro-Megas, in French. I greatly enjoyed both books. Candide played the fool, but really wasn't one . . .Anyways, I just wanted to say Hi, and to say that the people listed here sound like people I'd like to get to know. I will try to pick up a copy of Candide in English, at the bookstore, so that I may contribute to this group.
Frequent Contributor
BarbaraN
0 Kudos

grayelf wrote:
I would like to know who I'm crossing pens with. Here's a brief bio.
I was born 68 years ago outside Boston and now live in NJ. One slightly older sister (who's a light brighter than I) who I adore. One 29 year old son who lives in Florida.
My major schooling was at Cornell as a chemical engineer with a minor in biochemistry. I've gone to three other schools while working and am presently retired and auditing courses at Rutgers. I've always been interested in history, literature, art and music as well as science. Studying Candide seems like a great addition to my activities.

Message Edited by ConnieK on 03-01-2008 11:55 AM

Hi Grayelf. I was born 67 years ago in Fall River and got my college schooling at Elmira.
New User
anne7676
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Hi!  Hoping this discussion group is still alive and well -- I have read Candide several times in my lifetime and I almost NEVER read a book more than once -- with this exception cuz I really like it!  I am a trucker turned professional and currently residing in California where I run my own business.  Looking forward to perusing the threads to see what has been said thus far!  It has been a number of years since last I read it, so am hoping to be incited to read it again.

Message Edited by anne7676 on 03-01-2008 11:04 PM
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Yipes! Too many good discussions going on right now! I'm going to have to make choices. But I won't be able to resist loitering here.

Candide is a favorite of my son's, so reading it gives me insight into his thinking!? His reading it in college a few years ago brought me back to a re-reading. Voltaire's satire is heavy for my sometimes too serious approach to subjects, so I struggle with the brilliance of the story at times, even while acknowledging it.

I am delighted one of you who has introduced yourself has read Candide in the original French. I hope that means, besides calling nuances lost in translation to our attention, you may bring us European/French perspectives.

Pepper
"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Contributor
dnicholl
0 Kudos

Hi from TX!

Haven't read Candide before but I am very intrigued and look forward to the discussion.

Debye -- Librarian
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, vronka2!  I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the novel.  I hope you'll feel free to share some of your insights from teaching the book with fellow members.

~ConnieK

vronka2 wrote:
Hi Connie: My name is Veronica, and I am a copy editor as well as an adjunct instructor in English. This semester I'm teaching World Lit II, and we just finished our study of Candide. I am looking forward to reading various points of view on the work.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Hello, darcydemarco!  Thanks for joining us.  It will be super to hear any comments you may have about the French vs. English editions of the book.  Feel free to jump right in!

~ConnieK

demarcodarcy wrote:
Hi! I'm darcydemarco, and I have read Candide. I read it in French, in college, twenty-seven years ago. I also read Voltaire's Micro-Megas, in French. I greatly enjoyed both books. Candide played the fool, but really wasn't one . . .Anyways, I just wanted to say Hi, and to say that the people listed here sound like people I'd like to get to know. I will try to pick up a copy of Candide in English, at the bookstore, so that I may contribute to this group.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, anne!  This is a new group, just starting today (Monday, March 3rd), so we'll be around for awhile.  Glad to have you aboard!

~ConnieK

anne7676 wrote:
Hi!  Hoping this discussion group is still alive and well -- I have read Candide several times in my lifetime and I almost NEVER read a book more than once -- with this exception cuz I really like it!  I am a trucker turned professional and currently residing in California where I run my own business.  Looking forward to perusing the threads to see what has been said thus far!  It has been a number of years since last I read it, so am hoping to be incited to read it again.

Message Edited by anne7676 on 03-01-2008 11:04 PM

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, Pepper!  I know what you mean about satire sometimes being tricky to read or fully appreciate.  I'm looking forward to hearing members' impressions of CANDIDE.  Several folks here, like your son, clearly have enjoyed this book in the past.  As far as your son and his tastes go--it is interesting to see what people's "favorites" show about their personalities, isn't it?

EnJOY!

~ConnieK

Peppermill wrote:
Yipes! Too many good discussions going on right now! I'm going to have to make choices. But I won't be able to resist loitering here.

Candide is a favorite of my son's, so reading it gives me insight into his thinking!? His reading it in college a few years ago brought me back to a re-reading. Voltaire's satire is heavy for my sometimes too serious approach to subjects, so I struggle with the brilliance of the story at times, even while acknowledging it.

I am delighted one of you who has introduced yourself has read Candide in the original French. I hope that means, besides calling nuances lost in translation to our attention, you may bring us European/French perspectives.

Pepper

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Hello to you, Debye, "down" in Texas, too!  All eyes will be on your state tomorrow as you hold your presidential primaries.  Glad to have you in the club.  Please feel free to ask questions of fellow members at any time and to share your first impressions of Candide with us all. 

~ConnieK

dnicholl wrote:
Hi from TX!

Haven't read Candide before but I am very intrigued and look forward to the discussion.

Debye -- Librarian

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
New User
grayelf
0 Kudos

BarbaraN wrote:

Hi Grayelf. I was born 67 years ago in Fall River and got my college schooling at Elmira.

I'm happy to meet you.  I was born in Malden... just north of Boston.  When I was in Ithaca I got to Binghamton but not to Elmira.
Contributor
TammieCorcoran
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I'm coming a little late to the party, but I just saw that B&N had a book club reading for Candide and just had to join!  I've not read it but have always wanted to.  I have the B&N Classics edition of the book.  I'm going to get caught up through Chapter 10 by the weekend so I can join you in the discussion.  I look forward to it!

Tammie
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, Tammie!  You're not late at all.  It's ok, btw, to use a screen name on the clubs--just so you know!

~ConnieK

TammieCorcoran wrote:
Hi All,

I'm coming a little late to the party, but I just saw that B&N had a book club reading for Candide and just had to join!  I've not read it but have always wanted to.  I have the B&N Classics edition of the book.  I'm going to get caught up through Chapter 10 by the weekend so I can join you in the discussion.  I look forward to it!

Tammie

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
New User
Lisawoz
0 Kudos

Hello my name is Lisa and I live in MA.  I have never finished Candide but often started it.   This time I am determined to finish the book. 

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, Lisa!  I know what you mean about having started books and not finishing them sometimes.  Hope this group "inspires" you!

~ConnieK

Lisawoz wrote:

Hello my name is Lisa and I live in MA.  I have never finished Candide but often started it.   This time I am determined to finish the book. 

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Contributor
TammieCorcoran
0 Kudos

Thanks Connie.  Yeah, I've had my screen name for so long (since BNU) and I've thought of changing it, but just too busy reading :smileyhappy:
Users Online
Currently online:33 members 404 guests
Recent logins:
Please welcome our newest community members: