Thanks to Carol Higgins Clark for joining our discussion. Although the author has concluded her time with us for now, please feel free to continue your conversation about Santa Cruise through the end of the month -- and be sure to check out our discussions coming in January and beyond.
BN Editor
LitEditor
0 Kudos

Claus with Claws

In Santa Cruiseten men are on the ship who have played Santa Claus at various gatherings. Not all of them are so nice! Is this in your experience typical? Share your stories of the men who don red suits at the holidays -- are those you've met Saint-ly Nicks? Or Bad Santas?

Click on "Reply" to post your thoughts about this discussion topic, or click "New Message" on the main page to start a new topic thread.

See the latest news about book clubs in the Book Clubs Blog.
Author CHC
Author
CHC
0 Kudos

Re: Claus with Claws

LitEditor wrote:
In Santa Cruiseten men are on the ship who have played Santa Claus at various gatherings. Not all of them are so nice! Is this in your experience typical? Share your stories of the men who don red suits at the holidays -- are those you've met Saint-ly Nicks? Or Bad Santas?

Click on "Reply" to post your thoughts about this discussion topic, or click "New Message" on the main page to start a new topic thread.

I've met many nice Santas but there have been a few characters along the way! When I was a child, one of the men in town dressed as Santa and came around to many of the houses on Christmas Eve to say a quick hello. He went up to our front window and knocked, Ho Ho Ho-ing all the way. Unfortunately it had recently rained. When he came into our house, he tracked mud all over my mother's new carpet! He was such a nice guy but it's one of those stories we always remember in my family!

Learn more about Where
Are You Now?
and Zapped.

Discover all Mary Higgins Clark and
Carol Higgins Clark titles.

Contributor
piekid
0 Kudos

Re: Claus with Claws

CHC wrote:

I've met many nice Santas but there have been a few characters along the way! When I was a child, one of the men in town dressed as Santa and came around to many of the houses on Christmas Eve to say a quick hello. He went up to our front window and knocked, Ho Ho Ho-ing all the way. Unfortunately it had recently rained. When he came into our house, he tracked mud all over my mother's new carpet! He was such a nice guy but it's one of those stories we always remember in my family!

A Santa really tracked mud in the house? Is that how you got the idea for that part of the story in Iced? Are there any real-life experiences of your's or your mother's that got snuck into Santa Cruise? I'll never forget when you told us in the Burned group about your mom slipping on a banana peel and how you were going to slip it into a novel somehow. :smileyhappy:

~Tiff
Frequent Contributor
clarepayton
0 Kudos

Re: anecdotes into novels

Yes, do tell of the banana peel episode. How did it happen and how did you use it in your writing? I think many of us find these types of stories interesting--i.e. how a novelist takes a real experience and utilizes it in fiction.
Author
CHC
0 Kudos

Re: anecdotes into novels

clarepayton wrote:
Yes, do tell of the banana peel episode. How did it happen and how did you use it in your writing? I think many of us find these types of stories interesting--i.e. how a novelist takes a real experience and utilizes it in fiction.

My mother actually slipped on a piece of banana last year and broke her leg. If you put that in a book, people would think it was such a cliche! So we haven't used that yet! But I did use the Santa with the muddy boots in Iced! My mother always tells me that as a writer, nothing is lost. I can never have a bad day...if I tell her about something that went wrong, she says, "Use it in a book!!!" Seriously, though, as a writer I file away in the back of mind things that happen to me or people I know. As Mark Twain said, "Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because fiction is obligated to stick to possibilities; truth isn't."

Learn more about Where
Are You Now?
and Zapped.

Frequent Contributor
clarepayton
0 Kudos

Re: truth is stranger than fiction

So true! Many things happen to me that seem like they are out of a book, but then they are so wacky that no one would believe them if they were in a book. Like the time I thought I was about to miss my plane and I ran out onto the tarmac and the plane almost ran me over (this was back when you just walked out to the plane on the ground level--without a causeway). I was fifteen and traveling alone. Boy was the pilot waving frantically in the window! Look out!
KathyS
0 Kudos

Clare, you made me laugh! LOL....I just hope it wasn't a 747 you were waving down! I guess at the age of 15, you're entitled to do some wacky things! How about now? :-)

I honestly can't think of anything that would land me on FHV.....although, there was the time I was in charge of eradicating mice from our warehouse supper market! Runing around the store after them, with a shop vac in hand, sucking the little guys up! I know, it was pretty grose, but it was either that or throw myself..prone, across their little bodies. I won't mention which market it was, wouldn't want to be sued! Or the time we had to lure birds out of the store by throwing a trail of birdseed on the floor, leading out the door. It was kind of like rounding up cattle, only cows don't fly! (thank goodness!)
Author CHC
Author
CHC
0 Kudos

Those are two good stories! That pilot must have been having a fit! And running around chasing after mice...I'm sure your employer wouldn't want the name of that place spread around. The other thing that people always question are coincidences in books. Well in life, how many times have you started talking to someone and find out that you have a close personal connection to someone? Or some coincidence happens that seems unbelievable. The other day my family was out to brunch for my brother's birthday. We were talking about something that happened that we all said we couldn't use in a book. His wife had driven their youngest son into New York City for an audition (he's sixteen and is doing some acting...he's had a small part on One Life to Live.) Anyway, they were stuck in holiay traffic in midtown when they saw someone getting out of a car two cars ahead of them. My sister-in-law said, "Gee that looks like Andrew." Andrew is her oldest son who works on Wall Street. Of course it was Andrew. He was going to a company event in midtown. When he heard his mother calling his name, he was shocked! Now if we had Regan Reilly or Alvirah Meehan just happen to spot someone in midtown Manhattan at this time of year when it is so jammed, people would say it was too convenient...especially if they spotted a character who was one of the villains!

Learn more about Where
Are You Now?
and Zapped.

Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 311 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: