Frequent Contributor
clarepayton
0 Kudos

First Impressions

I always like to reserve a space for noting our first impressions of a book. What grabs you immediately? What do you observe now about our characters? What about the tone and pacing of the book?
maxcat
0 Kudos

Re: First Impressions

The book is off and running as is usual in these Christmas books but I like something that is well-paced and doesn't get bogged down. You can see a plot brewing immediately and you just instinctively know that something is inevutably going to go wrong with this special cruise. I'm stll reading the book but it has had some surprises and it is hard to keep track of some of the characters. I feel I need to get my Clue! game out and put the names on pieces of paper and pretend the board is the ship!
The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
First Impressions, hmm....I'm only on page 166...I'm 'seeing' inside all of these character's heads, as much as I'm allowed to by the author, and I hear them asking a lot of questions about all that's going on, on board this ship. I get the impression there are a number of 'super-slueth wannabees' aboard, and a number of 'questionable characters'. I'm just glad I'm not on that cruise!

Just getting the characters moved from place to place, from room to room, must have been a feat in itself, to write. But I'm not getting out the Clue board just yet.....the facts are pretty straight forward, so I haven't started to scratch my head over anything, well, almost anything...except for maybe stupid Eric and his inept moves. Smuggling those two guys on board was his first stupid move! Greed is biting him in the proverbial butt, which he deserves, at least as far as I can see....down the dark hallways....in the middle of the night.....Is there by any chance a full moon?

Message Edited by KathyS on 12-06-200602:06 PM

Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

I get so excited when I start reading any of your books or your moms. It seems there is excitement in the first word to the last. I have read all of Santa Cruise and simply adore it. But with the first few pages, the excitement was so complexed I felt like a gigantic bubble was getting ready to burst inside ofme. The release of adrenalin that seemed to dwell within with every page read. I couldn't put the book down once I started. It was simply awesome. I am in the Christmas spirit!
Author CHC
Author
CHC
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:
I get so excited when I start reading any of your books or your moms. It seems there is excitement in the first word to the last. I have read all of Santa Cruise and simply adore it. But with the first few pages, the excitement was so complexed I felt like a gigantic bubble was getting ready to burst inside ofme. The release of adrenalin that seemed to dwell within with every page read. I couldn't put the book down once I started. It was simply awesome. I am in the Christmas spirit!

I am so happy you liked the book so much! My mother and I really wanted to entertain people, make them laugh, and get them in the holiday spirit.

CHC

Learn more about Where
Are You Now?
and Zapped.

Discover all Mary Higgins Clark and
Carol Higgins Clark titles.

Author CHC
Author
CHC
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:
First Impressions, hmm....I'm only on page 166...I'm 'seeing' inside all of these character's heads, as much as I'm allowed to by the author, and I hear them asking a lot of questions about all that's going on, on board this ship. I get the impression there are a number of 'super-slueth wannabees' aboard, and a number of 'questionable characters'. I'm just glad I'm not on that cruise!

Just getting the characters moved from place to place, from room to room, must have been a feat in itself, to write. But I'm not getting out the Clue board just yet.....the facts are pretty straight forward, so I haven't started to scratch my head over anything, well, almost anything...except for maybe stupid Eric and his inept moves. Smuggling those two guys on board was his first stupid move! Greed is biting him in the proverbial butt, which he deserves, at least as far as I can see....down the dark hallways....in the middle of the night.....Is there by any chance a full moon?

Message Edited by KathyS on 12-06-200602:06 PM

Eric was a little greedy, wasn't he? He figured it would be pretty easy to make a fast million or two by smuggling them to the Caribbean. The poor Commodore! I think everyone is a bit of a sleuth at heart. When something exciting happens on a cruise or wherever, everyone wants to know about it. So on the Santa Cruise, when Ivy comes running into the dining room screaming that she's seen a ghost, the cruisers do get involved!

CHC

Learn more about Where
Are You Now?
and Zapped.

Discover all Mary Higgins Clark and
Carol Higgins Clark titles.

Users Online
Currently online: 22 members 712 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: