Reply
BN Editor
LitEditor
Posts: 291
Registered: ‎09-24-2006
0 Kudos

Holiday Travel Tales

The week after Christmas is a time when many of us take vacations. Stressed out after the holidays, it should be a time to relax. But vacations themselves can come pre-loaded with their own stress. Do you think that someone like Regan is ever likely to have a truly "relaxing" time? What about you -- do you need to decompress after the holidays? Is travel a good method to do that?


Click on "Reply" to post your thoughts about this discussion topic, or click "New Message" on the main page to start a new topic thread.

See the latest news about book clubs in the Book Clubs Blog.
Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
Posts: 4,012
Registered: ‎11-01-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Holiday Travel Tales

I need to de stress after the holidays. This year I have played it cool and am done with shopping and only have to worry about decorations and Christmas day dinner. After Christmas, especially after the decorations come down, I get a bit depressed as the house looks so beautiful during the holidays and when the decorations are down, the house looks empty. I usually exercise and go full blast with knitting and cross stitch projects to keep me busy.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Author CHC
Author
CHC
Posts: 48
Registered: ‎12-04-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Holiday Travel Tales



maxcat wrote:
I need to de stress after the holidays. This year I have played it cool and am done with shopping and only have to worry about decorations and Christmas day dinner. After Christmas, especially after the decorations come down, I get a bit depressed as the house looks so beautiful during the holidays and when the decorations are down, the house looks empty. I usually exercise and go full blast with knitting and cross stitch projects to keep me busy.





I admire you! You're finished with your shopping! I still have a lot to do. On top of that, my mother's birthday is Christmas Eve. I agree that it can be a letdown when the Christmas decorations come down...that's why it's a good idea to jump into a new project.

CHC

Learn more about Where
Are You Now?
and Zapped.

Discover all Mary Higgins Clark and
Carol Higgins Clark titles.


Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
Posts: 4,012
Registered: ‎11-01-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Holiday Travel Tales

Thanks,CHC... my husband's birthday is Jan. 6th. So I always buy him a gift and give it to him at Christmas with the reference to his birthday. He gets his card and dinner out on me on his birthday. Winters are not very long here in NC and so being depressed doesn't last long. I have plenty of BIG projects already going that I can continue after the holidays die down.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,898
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Holiday Travel Tales



maxcat wrote:
Thanks,CHC... my husband's birthday is Jan. 6th. So I always buy him a gift and give it to him at Christmas with the reference to his birthday. He gets his card and dinner out on me on his birthday. Winters are not very long here in NC and so being depressed doesn't last long. I have plenty of BIG projects already going that I can continue after the holidays die down.


Then there is another side to decorating....I always hate taking the decorations down too, so maybe if I don't put them up this year, I won't get depressed? :-) Or, I've thought about leaving them up all year! Other than dusting the tree and the decorations, every other month, I'm good to go for another holiday! ;-) As far as traveling in January, I'll just stay here in Calif. - eating and drinking all the leftovers....by the pool...with a book! Couldn't get any better than that, right?
Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
Posts: 4,012
Registered: ‎11-01-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Holiday Travel Tales-to kathys

I'm jealous while we shiver in the midatlantic region. Not taking decorations down sounds great except I have a 3 year old cat that is very interested in the ornaments. except she can't really get to them or hasn't figured a way out yey. We bought a scat mat 3 years ago. It's an electrified mat that you can put anywhere you don't want your pet to be which right now is the tree. It gives a mild shock that even our 113-lb lab can feel. She stepped on it the first year and is very leery of it every time I get it out. The only time we turn it off is Christmas Eve when the presents get piled on top of it. She looks for her own gifts and my other cat's too. She is very nosey!
The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Author CHC
Author
CHC
Posts: 48
Registered: ‎12-04-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Holiday Travel Tales



KathyS wrote:


maxcat wrote:
Thanks,CHC... my husband's birthday is Jan. 6th. So I always buy him a gift and give it to him at Christmas with the reference to his birthday. He gets his card and dinner out on me on his birthday. Winters are not very long here in NC and so being depressed doesn't last long. I have plenty of BIG projects already going that I can continue after the holidays die down.


Then there is another side to decorating....I always hate taking the decorations down too, so maybe if I don't put them up this year, I won't get depressed? :-) Or, I've thought about leaving them up all year! Other than dusting the tree and the decorations, every other month, I'm good to go for another holiday! ;-) As far as traveling in January, I'll just stay here in Calif. - eating and drinking all the leftovers....by the pool...with a book! Couldn't get any better than that, right?






You could leave them up all year! I always smile when I pass a house in July that still has Christmas lights up. By then, they may as well just leave them up!

Carol

Learn more about Where
Are You Now?
and Zapped.

Discover all Mary Higgins Clark and
Carol Higgins Clark titles.


Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,898
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Holiday Travel Tales



CHC wrote:


KathyS wrote:


maxcat wrote:
Thanks,CHC... my husband's birthday is Jan. 6th. So I always buy him a gift and give it to him at Christmas with the reference to his birthday. He gets his card and dinner out on me on his birthday. Winters are not very long here in NC and so being depressed doesn't last long. I have plenty of BIG projects already going that I can continue after the holidays die down.


Then there is another side to decorating....I always hate taking the decorations down too, so maybe if I don't put them up this year, I won't get depressed? :-) Or, I've thought about leaving them up all year! Other than dusting the tree and the decorations, every other month, I'm good to go for another holiday! ;-) As far as traveling in January, I'll just stay here in Calif. - eating and drinking all the leftovers....by the pool...with a book! Couldn't get any better than that, right?






You could leave them up all year! I always smile when I pass a house in July that still has Christmas lights up. By then, they may as well just leave them up!

Carol


You may smile, I usually shake my head....you do know I was just kidding about those decorations, don't you? :-)....I hate driving by houses that leave their lights up all year. Just reminds me of my ex-husand's philosophy (yeah, ex)....He used to say, "Why take them down? Now, all you have to do is turn them on in December!"

This is an interesting topic of conversation, but I'm wondering what it has to do with your book!LOL....Do you travel during or after the holidays? I mean, other than for your book signings. Do you take many cruises?

I'm not sure if I'd ever go on a cruise, I hate confined spaces, and I would probably get sea sick! I've taken a boat to Catalina Island a few times. The last time was during a major storm in the Pacific....now that was exciting! I learned what the words "BIG SWELLS" meant. We were heading back to the mainland, and you needed a seat belt for that little jaunt. Of course, you don't have seat belts, so you can picture us holding on for dear life, looking over a non existent railing and into the mouth of the sea! I did take a sea sick pill on that occasion, but by the time it took effect, I was in the car and asleep two minutes after leaving the docks! Needless to say, that's the last time I've set foot on anything floating on open water. A floaty in the pool is as close as I get to being suspended on water!
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,898
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Holiday Tales - Scat Mat



maxcat wrote:
I'm jealous while we shiver in the midatlantic region. Not taking decorations down sounds great except I have a 3 year old cat that is very interested in the ornaments. except she can't really get to them or hasn't figured a way out yey. We bought a scat mat 3 years ago. It's an electrified mat that you can put anywhere you don't want your pet to be which right now is the tree. It gives a mild shock that even our 113-lb lab can feel. She stepped on it the first year and is very leery of it every time I get it out. The only time we turn it off is Christmas Eve when the presents get piled on top of it. She looks for her own gifts and my other cat's too. She is very nosey!


I don't have animals, but that scat mat sounds like something I need for my flower bed!....to keep the neighborhood cats from doing their duty in my dirt! Nothing like the feel of dirt between your fingers......I'm a potter(clay) - but the other assorted "stuff"! Yuck!:-)
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,898
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Decorating 'burn-out'

[ Edited ]

maxcat wrote:
Thanks,CHC... my husband's birthday is Jan. 6th. So I always buy him a gift and give it to him at Christmas with the reference to his birthday. He gets his card and dinner out on me on his birthday. Winters are not very long here in NC and so being depressed doesn't last long. I have plenty of BIG projects already going that I can continue after the holidays die down.


Do I call you Maxcat, or do you have a name! LOL

I used to work in the market business, and the seasons all ran together....always decorating for one "Hallmark Holiday" or another - never a month went by that we weren't putting balloons or some kind of decorations up! Now that I'm away from constant decorating, I've lost my enthusiasm for it. I guess it's called "burn out". It's just that simple! I wish it weren't, but it's what it is, and I haven't figured out how to get it back. Any ideas?

Message Edited by KathyS on 12-08-200608:41 AM

Wordsmith
kiakar
Posts: 3,435
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Decorating 'burn-out'

Sometimes I react to after Christmas the way Maxcat does: The house all decorated and then bla bla bla" the house looks like old St. Nick never would land in such a bla environment. But I also try taking on a project so the blues do not get to me. I love christmas so much I do not want to slump into a depression I would have to relate to Christmas with so I don't go there. Living alone, makes it difficult to recover from the dramatic switch from Jolly to bla but I always pursue a plan. Last year, I went on a trip to Las Vegas after the holidays. THis year, no mon no fun, but I will think of something. I have three children that live all around the place so maybe I will free load on one or all of them for awhile. ha.
Author CHC
Author
CHC
Posts: 48
Registered: ‎12-04-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Holiday Travel Tales

Kathy --

Sorry about your trip to Catalina Island. Being seasick is awful! I do enjoy cruises. I've been asked to speak several times on cruises so I've taken trips that I might not have on my own. In the book, the Commodore plans to bury his mother's ashes at sea. When I spoke on the QE2 I became friendly with a big group that included the priest onboard. He asked me to come to an ash service the next morning. A woman was throwing her husband's ashes into the sea at the closest point we'd be to Italy because that's where he was born. There was a little ceremony early in the morning in a private area in the back of the ship, then we all went up to breakfast. A couple days later the priest asked me to join them the following morning again. The florist onboard was having a ceremony for his mother's ashes. Of course I went. That's why my mother and I used the idea of the Commodore planning to bury his mother's ashes at sea.
As a writer, no experience is lost! Anytime anything happens to me, my mother's response always is "Use it in a book!"

I thought it would be interesting to hear about holiday travel tales because we set this book the week after Christmas, a time when many people like to get away. But not every vacation works out so well!

Learn more about Where
Are You Now?
and Zapped.

Discover all Mary Higgins Clark and
Carol Higgins Clark titles.


New User
mariem
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎12-05-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Holiday Travel Tales

I think the holidays can be stressful but now that I've moved from the East coast to Vegas to be near my grandchildren, it's less stressful. For the past seven years, my husband and I have taken a cruise in mid February and it's always restful. When things get crazy in December, I pause to picture sunny beaches.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.

Mariec
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 258 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: