Thanks to Carol Higgins Clark for joining our discussion. Although the author has concluded her time with us for now, please feel free to continue your conversation about Santa Cruise through the end of the month -- and be sure to check out our discussions coming in January and beyond.
Author CHC
Author
CHC
0 Kudos

It's December 4th! Welcome from Carol Higgins Clark

Hello everyone!

I'm so glad the book club discussion is starting today. I'm looking forward to spending time with you during this holiday season. Let's get started!

Best,

Carol Higgins Clark

Learn more about Where
Are You Now?
and Zapped.

Discover all Mary Higgins Clark and
Carol Higgins Clark titles.

Frequent Contributor
clarepayton
0 Kudos

Author! Author!

Welcome, Carol, to our reading group for SANTA CRUISE. We, too, are very excited to have you join us. I'm sure our readers will begin coming this week to say "hello" and start our discussions. Meanwhile, thanks for joining us, and enjoy your holiday preparations.
Author
CHC
0 Kudos

Re: Author! Author!

Thank you Clare! I'm happy to be here. It's such a busy time of year that it's nice to take some quiet time to sit and chat online with the book club! And I certainly admire those of you out there who have finished your shopping!!

CHC

Learn more about Where
Are You Now?
and Zapped.

Frequent Contributor
clarepayton
0 Kudos

Re: finished shopping? probably not but...

we don't let that stop us. You'll find the members of our book clubs just LOVE reading and talking about books and will drop everything to do it. We have passion in here! Probably the only holiday shopping done so far is in the bookstore. Anyone?
KathyS
0 Kudos

clarepayton wrote:
we don't let that stop us. You'll find the members of our book clubs just LOVE reading and talking about books and will drop everything to do it. We have passion in here! Probably the only holiday shopping done so far is in the bookstore. Anyone?

Finished Christmas shopping? Nope....I hate to admit this, but I've spent more money this month on books....for myself, than I have on my list of people to buy for! But a girl has to do, what a girl has to do, right? My plan is to finish the list this week....I hope. Good luck to anyone fighting the crowds!! The traffic and the lines, drive me nuts! I just thought of something! What if we took a book to the store, so we can read while standing in line? :-)
Contributor
piekid
0 Kudos

Amazingly, my shopping is done, and the gifts include six books! As I said in my intro, I got "Santa Cruise" (and two of Carol's mom's books) for my mom.

I'm curious about what books other people bought as books this holiday season. Anyone care to share?
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Books to read this month!

[ Edited ]

piekid wrote:
Amazingly, my shopping is done, and the gifts include six books! As I said in my intro, I got "Santa Cruise" (and two of Carol's mom's books) for my mom.

I'm curious about what books other people bought as books this holiday season. Anyone care to share?

Wow, this has been a bookfest month for me! Except, all of these books I have bought, were for myself. When I deem it time, I will give either them away, or loan them to friends and family, or donate to the local library. Maybe if I stop reading long enough, I just might get my Christmas shopping done!

Here is the list of authors and number of their novels/books I have bought this month: Elinor Lipman(3). Sue Monk Kidd(3). Diane Setterfield(1). Carl Hiaasen(1). Sophie Kinsella(1). Carol Higgins Clark(1). Janet Evanovich-How I write +(1), and William Strunk Jr. and E.B. White-The Elements of Style. I was given one book by Susan Wittig Albert.

I do have to admit, I'm never on book discussions this time of year, which becomes my time to read - catching up on favorite authors and must-read books. Generally, I stick to light and fun reading right now, except in the case of SMK. These three books of hers are all inspirational and fantastic, but not light in any sense of the word.

Message Edited by KathyS on 12-09-200609:44 AM

New User
BarbaraPilvin
0 Kudos

Re: It's December 4th! Welcome from Carol Higgins Clark

Hi Carol! It's Barbara Pilvin. Yep, the one who graduated from Smith a year or two before you graduated from Mount Holyoke...goes to all those ALA Mysterious Press lunches (when I go to ALA)...keeps trying to finish writing a mystery but gets ideas for spinoffs of mysteries while writing them, with the result that none of them has gotten finished yet...and I'm trying to wait for "Hitched" to come out in paper because if I buy one more hardback, my exploding bookshelves will come apart...although I might not succeed in waiting. I found a copy of "Deck the Halls" in French at a delightful second-hand store in Paris, next door to the Hotel Delambre (near the Boulevard Montparnasse and the Quartier Latin), two charming, welcoming places that I got to know a couple of years ago (maybe I'll write them into a novel!!), and the store's owner and a waitress at a nearby restaurant told me everyone there loved your books and your mother's. I told them they had excellent taste!

Babble, babble...are you working on the next Regan Reilly book yet? Are she and Jack planning a family? I feel like I'm talking about real people. Your books are a lot of fun to read and I bet you have a lot of fun writing them!

Barbara
Author CHC
Author
CHC
0 Kudos

Re: It's December 4th! Welcome from Carol Higgins Clark

BarbaraPilvin wrote:
Hi Carol! It's Barbara Pilvin. Yep, the one who graduated from Smith a year or two before you graduated from Mount Holyoke...goes to all those ALA Mysterious Press lunches (when I go to ALA)...keeps trying to finish writing a mystery but gets ideas for spinoffs of mysteries while writing them, with the result that none of them has gotten finished yet...and I'm trying to wait for "Hitched" to come out in paper because if I buy one more hardback, my exploding bookshelves will come apart...although I might not succeed in waiting. I found a copy of "Deck the Halls" in French at a delightful second-hand store in Paris, next door to the Hotel Delambre (near the Boulevard Montparnasse and the Quartier Latin), two charming, welcoming places that I got to know a couple of years ago (maybe I'll write them into a novel!!), and the store's owner and a waitress at a nearby restaurant told me everyone there loved your books and your mother's. I told them they had excellent taste!

Babble, babble...are you working on the next Regan Reilly book yet? Are she and Jack planning a family? I feel like I'm talking about real people. Your books are a lot of fun to read and I bet you have a lot of fun writing them!

Barbara

Hi Barbara,

It was great to hear from you! Thanks for you kind words! Keep writing your book! Once you get that first one finished, I'm sure it will be easier. How wonderful that you were in Paris. We've been there on book tour several times. I'm now working on LACED, Regan and Jack's honeymoon trip to Ireland, where naturally something happens. Regan can't just have an ordinary honeymoon! I don't think they'll start a family for a few more books, but you never know. Happy Holidays to you!

Carol

Learn more about Where
Are You Now?
and Zapped.

Frequent Contributor
clarepayton
0 Kudos

Re: Laced, about Regan and Jack's honeymoon

Oh, Carol, thanks for giving us a clue about your next chapter in the lives of these characters. I'm sure many of us are glad to hear they will be returning. These characters become like friends, and we wonder what happens to them next.

Best of luck with this and your many other projects!
0 Kudos

Re: Books to read this month!

[ Edited ]

KathyS wrote:Wow, this has been a bookfest month for me! Except, all of these books I have bought, were for myself.>

LOL, you are as bad as me ;-) I had a real Christmas unpacking the post deliveries :-)
Mostly I bought some magnificent cookbooks (please visit the cooking section if you are interested) but I've got also many classics(Hawthorne, Melville,Chopin,Lawrence, W.Scott, Collins,Fielding, Hardy, Woolf etc) and also some of the fiction books featured on the BN clubs right now....

CU there!
happy new year, all!
ziki

PS
Kathy, tell more about SMK!

Message Edited by ziki on 12-30-200606:29 PM

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: Books to read this month!

ziki wrote:

KathyS wrote:Wow, this has been a bookfest month for me! Except, all of these books I have bought, were for myself.>

LOL, you are as bad as me ;-) I had a real Christmas unpacking the post deliveries :-)
Mostly I bought some magnificent cookbooks (please visit the cooking section if you are interested) but I've got also many classics(Hawthorne, Melville,Chopin,Lawrence, W.Scott, Collins,Fielding, Hardy, Woolf etc) and also some of the fiction books featured on the BN clubs right now....

CU there!
happy new year, all!
ziki

PS
Kathy, tell more about SMK!

Message Edited by ziki on 12-30-200606:29 PM

Ziki,
If you want to talk about SMK further...go to Fiction General Discussion. CU!
Users Online
Currently online: 47 members 1,035 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: