BN Editor
LitEditor
0 Kudos

Questions for Carol

Welcome to the reading group, everyone. The author will be joining us early next month -- but if you have any questions for Carol -- about writing in collaboration with her mother, about how she plots her mysteries, or about what she likes and dislikes about cruises -- you can post it here.

Enjoy the conversation!

See the latest news about book clubs in the Book Clubs Blog.
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Welcome Carol Higgins Clark - Some questions -

Carol,
I'm having a cup of coffee at the moment, so picture me offering you a 'virtural cup', and inviting you to sit down and rest for a minute! :-) We've never met before, would you like to tell us a little about yourself? Or would you prefer I ask you questions?

I'm always interested in the history of how writers get their first inspiration to write. I am an artist, and I know the feelings of creativity and what motivates me, but I can only imagine offsprings of writers, and what it must have been like for you to grow up within the atmosphere of a mother that is one of the best mystery writers to date. Can you give some reflections on this?

Now, do you take cream and sugar in your coffee? Or do you prefer tea? :-)
Author CHC
Author
CHC
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome Carol Higgins Clark - Some questions -

KathyS wrote:
Carol,
I'm having a cup of coffee at the moment, so picture me offering you a 'virtural cup', and inviting you to sit down and rest for a minute! :-) We've never met before, would you like to tell us a little about yourself? Or would you prefer I ask you questions?

I'm always interested in the history of how writers get their first inspiration to write. I am an artist, and I know the feelings of creativity and what motivates me, but I can only imagine offsprings of writers, and what it must have been like for you to grow up within the atmosphere of a mother that is one of the best mystery writers to date. Can you give some reflections on this?

Now, do you take cream and sugar in your coffee? Or do you prefer tea? :-)

Hi Kathy --

I like coffee in the morning and tea in the afternoon! No sugar! My mother didn't publish her first mystery novel until I was in college, so I didn't grow up with her being known as a writer. It was exciting to watch her career as it grew. I helped her out by retyping her second book for her (this was before computers) I then did this for several of her books, and it's what got me into writing.

Now I live in New York City. It's wonderful to work with my mother on our Christmas novels. _

Learn more about Where
Are You Now?
and Zapped.

Discover all Mary Higgins Clark and
Carol Higgins Clark titles.

Frequent Contributor
Vicky
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for Carol

Both you and your mother are extremely gifted, best-selling mystery authors. In an interview you once commented that your mother goes for the jugular and you go for humor. How do the two of you develop characters, build a plot, add your individual influences, yet create a cohesive novel? Do you write the chapters together or assign separate areas of the book to each other, then rewrite and edit together? In short, how do you collaborate so successfully?
Author CHC
Author
CHC
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for Carol

Vicky wrote:
Both you and your mother are extremely gifted, best-selling mystery authors. In an interview you once commented that your mother goes for the jugular and you go for humor. How do the two of you develop characters, build a plot, add your individual influences, yet create a cohesive novel? Do you write the chapters together or assign separate areas of the book to each other, then rewrite and edit together? In short, how do you collaborate so successfully?

Hi Vicky!

When my mother and I write a book, we write every word together. We sit in the same room and I type what we write into my laptop. When we finish a chapter I print it out and then we go over it. Before we start writing we hash out a plot, and then things start to happen as we write. We just really enjoy working together. The Christmas books give my mother a chance to go for the funnybone...in her solo novels she can't really use humore because it would break the suspense.

CHC

Learn more about Where
Are You Now?
and Zapped.

Discover all Mary Higgins Clark and
Carol Higgins Clark titles.

Users Online
Currently online: 9 members 234 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: