Thanks to Carol Higgins Clark for joining our discussion. Although the author has concluded her time with us for now, please feel free to continue your conversation about Santa Cruise through the end of the month -- and be sure to check out our discussions coming in January and beyond.
Frequent Contributor
clarepayton
0 Kudos

humor in the novel

There's no question that even as we are to feel the suspense in this novel, we are also meant to laugh and have fun. What are some memorable points of humor in the book?
Author
CHC
0 Kudos

Re: humor in the novel

clarepayton wrote:
There's no question that even as we are to feel the suspense in this novel, we are also meant to laugh and have fun. What are some memorable points of humor in the book?

My mother and I enjoyed writing about the cruise director running into trouble on the rock climbing wall! We also had fun with the two little girls who wanted to be helpful to Harry Crater but really drove him crazy!

CHC

Learn more about Where
Are You Now?
and Zapped.

Discover all Mary Higgins Clark and
Carol Higgins Clark titles.

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

I thought the two bumbling crooks were funny being shuffled around and I did like the two little girls. The authors left them in with just the right amount of writing, otherwise they would be obnoxious. The cruise director on the rock wall was humorous and that could happen to anyone. But this cruise was doomed from the start and things just happened one after another. Oh, and Willy with the chocolate on his shirt; reminds me of my husband and his chocolate syrup.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Oh! yes, I loved the part the little girls played in the story. I loved the part where Crater fell in the floor and also the cell phone mess up. To me, that was hilarious.And the thing Crater did with the grey face paint and Gwendolyn spotting it and commenting on it. And the scene when the story first opens where the man is swimming away from the cruise ship. I guess on lookers would say, he got on the wrong ship huh. Until they saw the police chasing him. I love the light way in which this is written. I love romantic comedies so this was just plain adorable. Also when Eric came in where the Commodore and Dudley was sitting in the office and he is all wet! I can see Dudley eyeing him like he hasn't got a grain of sense to be out in the storm looking for wandering passengers.
Author CHC
Author
CHC
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:
Oh! yes, I loved the part the little girls played in the story. I loved the part where Crater fell in the floor and also the cell phone mess up. To me, that was hilarious.And the thing Crater did with the grey face paint and Gwendolyn spotting it and commenting on it. And the scene when the story first opens where the man is swimming away from the cruise ship. I guess on lookers would say, he got on the wrong ship huh. Until they saw the police chasing him. I love the light way in which this is written. I love romantic comedies so this was just plain adorable. Also when Eric came in where the Commodore and Dudley was sitting in the office and he is all wet! I can see Dudley eyeing him like he hasn't got a grain of sense to be out in the storm looking for wandering passengers.

My mother says that she loves to write the Christmas books because it gives her a chance to write humor. Because her books have psychological suspense, using humor would break the mood. Our Christmas books are intended to be fun! So glad you enjoyed it.

CHC

Learn more about Where
Are You Now?
and Zapped.

Contributor
piekid
0 Kudos

My favorite bit of humor... (possible spoiler)

[ Edited ]
The part that made me howl with laughter was right near the end when everything was happening at once. I loved that in the midst of the chaos of everyone fighting over the silver box, just after the little girl threw it over, Regan seemingly randomly yelled "Watch out, Alvirah!" at the water, then grabbed a life preserver and jumped overboard. The randomness of Regan's actions was amusing, I guess.

I laughed regularly through the book, but that made me laugh the hardest.

Message Edited by piekid on 12-16-200602:15 PM

Author CHC
Author
CHC
0 Kudos

Re: My favorite bit of humor... (possible spoiler)

piekid wrote:
The part that made me howl with laughter was right near the end when everything was happening at once. I loved that in the midst of the chaos of everyone fighting over the silver box, just after the little girl threw it over, Regan seemingly randomly yelled "Watch out, Alvirah!" at the water, then grabbed a life preserver and jumped overboard. The randomness of Regan's actions was amusing, I guess.

I laughed regularly through the book, but that made me laugh the hardest.

Message Edited by piekid on 12-16-200602:15 PM

I'm glad that made you laugh but Regan yelled like that because she saw Alvirah in the water and was afraid she was going to get hit in the head with the box. Then she wanted to save her...but knew that just jumping in wasn't a good idea. So she looked around for a life preserver she could bring with her!

CHC

Learn more about Where
Are You Now?
and Zapped.

Users Online
Currently online: 21 members 504 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: