Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
Alice_Hoffman
0 Kudos

Re: Alice Hoffman, June 22-26

Thanks Maddy -- what I liked most about the film version of Practical Magic were the great women -- Sandra Bullock, Nicole Kidman, Stockard Channing, Diane Weist, Evan Rachel Wood -- they were fabulous and it was great to see a movie with so many women and such complicated relationships

I think the film is fun, but for me it's not the book. It veers off in the middle, and I wish, as most novelists probably do, the film makers had stayed closer to the novel.

Inspired Correspondent
Bethanne
0 Kudos

Alice_Hoffman wrote:

Thanks Maddy -- what I liked most about the film version of Practical Magic were the great women -- Sandra Bullock, Nicole Kidman, Stockard Channing, Diane Weist, Evan Rachel Wood -- they were fabulous and it was great to see a movie with so many women and such complicated relationships

I think the film is fun, but for me it's not the book. It veers off in the middle, and I wish, as most novelists probably do, the film makers had stayed closer to the novel.

Alice, I'm really glad that someone asked about this movie (which is great fun, and as you said, has a wonderful cast), just so I could hear you say what I hear from many other novelists: Adaptations rarely meet the writer's expectations.
To me, this has always shown that novels are NOT simply movies in printed form, as some contemporary Americans seem to believe. A novel is a separate art form (emphasis on the "art"), and reading is a different experience than viewing is.
In other words, enjoy "Practical Magic" on screen -- but read the book! So much richer.
Bethanne 

Check out this week's Center Stage discussion!

See all upcoming discussions!

0 Kudos

Thanks Bethanne -- I agree, I almost always prefer the book. Of course novelists always hope for that one perfect film that will translate the novel into cinema.

Still waiting....

Alice 

Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

Bethanne wrote:

Alice_Hoffman wrote:

Alice, I'm really glad that someone asked about this movie (which is great fun, and as you said, has a wonderful cast), just so I could hear you say what I hear from many other novelists: Adaptations rarely meet the writer's expectations.
To me, this has always shown that novels are NOT simply movies in printed form, as some contemporary Americans seem to believe. A novel is a separate art form (emphasis on the "art"), and reading is a different experience than viewing is.
In other words, enjoy "Practical Magic" on screen -- but read the book! So much richer.
Bethanne 

The book was so much deeper. I thought parts of the movie were a little silly and the book was not meant to be that way at all! I was disappointed even though I knew better.
A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

Bethanne wrote:

Alice_Hoffman wrote:

I was involved with the design of the book -- and I love the result, but the edgy papers were a lovely surprise.

I started off following everyone who tweeted me -- but I became too confused, and so follow as many as I can follow at the moment. Twitter is still something that I'm learning how to use.  

Alice, Twitter is something we're ALL still learning how to use. You're tweeting quite well! :smileyhappy: I know that I and my fellow readers are truly glad that novelists like you are on it. 
I'm delighted to hear you were involved with the design of THE STORY SISTERS, because it really is well done, including those edgy papers. Yours and a couple of other recent novels I've purchased have been beautifully put together and remind me of why I love traditional, bound books.
Bethanne 

I love my kindle but I can't read one of my beloved writers on it. I will have to get The Story Sisters in paperbook to sit on the shelf with the rest of her novels. Though with budgets, I may have to wait until it comes out in paperback to own it.

A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Author
Alice_Hoffman
0 Kudos

I want to thank all my readers for coming out for The Story Sisters, and for supporting the book. I think writers always feel closest to the book they have most recently finished, and that's true for me. It's difficult to say good bye to characters you've lived with, spent every day with, know better than you know anyone else.

Thanks Bethanne for leading the conversation and putting up with my arguments about literature. 

For me, writing The Story Sisters was a way to thread my love of fairy tales and of story telling into a modern novel and have it feel "real" and timeless both.

Can stories save your life? I don't know. They saved mine. 

Now I'm going to Paris, to sit on a bench and think about what comes next. If I see Claire walking there with her old dog, I'll let you know. Have a great summer. 

Alice 

Inspired Correspondent
Bethanne
0 Kudos

Alice_Hoffman wrote:

I want to thank all my readers for coming out for The Story Sisters, and for supporting the book. I think writers always feel closest to the book they have most recently finished, and that's true for me. It's difficult to say good bye to characters you've lived with, spent every day with, know better than you know anyone else.

Thanks Bethanne for leading the conversation and putting up with my arguments about literature. 

For me, writing The Story Sisters was a way to thread my love of fairy tales and of story telling into a modern novel and have it feel "real" and timeless both.

Can stories save your life? I don't know. They saved mine. 

Now I'm going to Paris, to sit on a bench and think about what comes next. If I see Claire walking there with her old dog, I'll let you know. Have a great summer. 

Alice 

Thank you, Alice, so much -- for your thoughts and your patience and yes, your arguments. It's wonderful to know that a novelist cares enough about literature and her literary output to put forth her thoughts.
I know that our participants have greatly appreciated your participation, too. Have a wonderful time in Paris, and all the best with what comes next.
Bethanne 

Check out this week's Center Stage discussion!

See all upcoming discussions!