Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

August 18-22: Faye Kellerman

This week, we're thrilled to welcome Faye Kellerman to the Book Clubs!

Do you have a question for Faye? Reply to this message to start the conversation.

About Faye Kellerman

Author: Faye KellermanFaye Kellerman was born in St. Louis, Missouri and grew up in Sherman Oaks, California. She earned a BA in mathematics and a doctorate in dentistry at UCLA., and conducted research in oral biology. Kellerman's groundbreaking first novel, The Ritual Bath, was published in 1986 to wide critical and commercial acclaim. The winner of the Macavity Award for the Best First Novel from the Mystery Readers of America, The Ritual Bath introduced readers to Peter Decker and Rina Lazarus, termed by People magazine "Hands down, the most refreshing mystery couple around." The New York Times enthused, "This couple's domestic affairs have the haimish warmth of reality, unlike the formulaic lives of so many other genre detectives."

There are well over twenty million copies of Faye Kellerman's novels in print internationally. The Decker/Lazarus thrillers include Sacred and Profane; Milk and Honey; Day of Atonement; False Prophet; Grievous Sin; Sanctuary; Prayers for the Dead - listed by the LA Times as one of the best crime novel of 2001; Serpent's Tooth; Jupiter's Bones, The Forgotten and Stone Kiss. The novels, Stalker and Street Dreams, introduced Kellerman's newest protagonist, Police Officer Cindy Decker. In addition to her crime series, Kellerman is also the author of New York Times bestseller Moon Music, a suspense horror novel set in Las Vegas featuring Detective Romulus Poe, as well as an historical novel of intrigue set in Elizabethan England, The Quality of Mercy. She has also co-authored the New York Times bestseller Double Homicide, with her husband and partner in crime, Jonathan Kellerman.

Active in community affairs, Kellerman has served on the board of the Southern California Chapter of the Mystery Writers of America and has been a judge for The Scriptor Awards. She plays mandolin and guitar and is often heard making music with her husband. Her other hobbies include gardening, sewing and fencing if her back doesn't give out. She is the proud mother of four children, and her eldest son, Jesse, has just published his second novel, The Genius from Putnam. She lives in Los Angeles and Santa Fe with her husband, Jonathan, their youngest child, Aliza.

Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!

Frequent Contributor
readerkuna1
0 Kudos

Love your Books

Hi Mrs. Kellerman, I just love your books. I love the characters Peter & Rina. It has been really great reading about them and their life.

I can't wait until the new book comes out.

I was wondering how you come up with such great story lines for them.

Also I was wondering if you and Jonathan ever thought about write a book together that has Peter, Rina, Alex Delaware and Milo. I think it would be really great book.

Keep up the great work. Pat(readerkuna1@yahoo.com)

Patti Kuna
New User
Bspivack
0 Kudos

Re: August 18-22: Faye Kellerman

Ms. Kellerman.  Thank you so much spending time with your readership.  While I do not think I have missed any of you books, even those you have written collaboratively, I am very interested in the uniqueness of your family structure.  I am fascinated by not one, not two, but 3 exceptional writers in one family.  I've read your son Jesse's two novels; I think in a short time his name recognition will equal or exceed yours and Jonathon's.  Is this a good thing?  a bad thing?  both?  neither?  Do people still speak to each other in the Kellerman household or are they going tap-tap-tap on the computer much of the time?

And if you don't wish to speak about the personal life of your family, I fully understand

Contributor
Kris11
0 Kudos

I, too, am a huge fan, Mrs. Kellerman, I look forward to every new book with anticipation. I love how you bring the characters to life. Thanks for sharing your talent with the rest of the world. Kris

Frequent Contributor
reddoglady
0 Kudos

Ms. Kellerman -- I have read one of your books several years ago and enjoyed it, but I was wondering if you should start the series from the beginning or just pick up from your latest and read the others later on -- will I understand the characters -- thanks -- 
Contributor
the_archivist
0 Kudos

Dear Dr. Kellerman,

I have been reading your Rina Lazarus, Peter Decker series since 1989.  I am a huge fan or your work.   I have loved every book you wrote.  I particularly like the Jewish theme to the stories.  In your early books it seemed to be a more central part of the story, but in your more recent books it is just a small part of the story; could you explain that shift in your more recent work?

I have just started The Mercedes Coffin while I haven't gotten far, due to my granddaughter's baby naming, I can tell that this will be a page turner, and I am looking forward to a great read this week.

Best Regards,

the_archivist

the_archivist
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Dear Ms. Kellerman,

I absolutely love your Lazarus and Decker series. I'm a big believer in love conquers all and it shines through in each of your novels starring the husband and wife team. I also love a great mystery and don't like to know "who done it" too soon and you never disappoint me, I also find the religious aspect of your novels very interesting and I've learned a great deal about the Jewish faith just by reading your books. I haven't read The Mercedes Coffin yet but I know I won't be disappointed.

I also read Jesse's book Sunstroke which I enjoyed very much.

I really don't have a question but just wanted to stop by tell you I'm a fan and welcome you to our little neighborhood here at B&N. 

Author
Faye_Kellerman
0 Kudos

Re: Love your Books

Dear Patti:

Thank you so much for writing and for your lovely message. Jonathan and I have collaborated on two books - DOUBLE HOMICIDE and CAPITAL CRIMES. Those titles contain two short novels apiece. In CAPITAL CRIMES we've include brief cameos by our series characters.

We have no plans to write with our series characters together in a full length novel but you never know.

Thanks again for writing and have a good summer.

Faye Kellerman

Learn more about The Mercedes Coffin.

Discover all Faye Kellerman titles.

Author
Faye_Kellerman
0 Kudos

We try to act as much as a family as possible. This has always been the case. We do discuss may topics but we try to keep our writing out of it because it's such a personal thing. That being said, we're each other's biggest fans. 

I will pass on your good words to Jesse. He lives with his wife about 120 miles away but we just saw each other yesterday. I'm so delighted with his success. It's what every parent wants.

Best

FK

Author
Faye_Kellerman
0 Kudos

Thank you for your lovely words. I really appreciate all the support. Writers can't do it without readers.

Best

FK

Author
Faye_Kellerman
0 Kudos

It's always fun to start at the beginning, but hopefully you can pick up any book in the series and be entertained.

Thanks again for writing.

FK

Author
Faye_Kellerman
0 Kudos

Thanks so much. It's hard to get Jewish themes in every book but I try to get a touch of it in all books.

Aren't grandchildren the best?

FK

Author
Faye_Kellerman
0 Kudos

THANKS SO MUCH FOR WRITING. I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR KIND WORDS AND I'M ALSO A SUCKER FOR ROMANCE.

BEST

FK

dhaupt wrote:

Dear Ms. Kellerman,

I absolutely love your Lazarus and Decker series. I'm a big believer in love conquers all and it shines through in each of your novels starring the husband and wife team. I also love a great mystery and don't like to know "who done it" too soon and you never disappoint me, I also find the religious aspect of your novels very interesting and I've learned a great deal about the Jewish faith just by reading your books. I haven't read The Mercedes Coffin yet but I know I won't be disappointed.

I also read Jesse's book Sunstroke which I enjoyed very much.

I really don't have a question but just wanted to stop by tell you I'm a fan and welcome you to our little neighborhood here at B&N. 

Contributor
the_archivist
0 Kudos

Yes, grandchildren are the best!  I have a question, could you please tell your fans, how and why you created Pete and Rina?  The Ritual Bath was so steeped in Jewish life I, as I am sure many other readers, would like to know your thoughts about this series and Pete and Rina.

Thank you,

Deborah

the_archivist
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Hi Faye, and welcome to B&N Book Clubs! I'm Stephanie, the moderator for Center Stage, and I am very excited to have you hereI got my copy of Mercedes Coffin, leapt right in, and I am embarrassed to say how many chapters it took me to figure out the title. Since I know that authors often have much different working titles than what we get at publication, I don't really pay much attention to themAnd so my question for you is, did you have a different working title and would you share it with us

Stephanie
New User
LittleMissPerfect
0 Kudos

Hi! Wow! I am so pumped to be talking to you! I was wondering a couple things... 1: What is your favorite thing about writing? And 2: What advice do you have for an aspiring writer? Thanks so much!
Contributor
legalchic-52
0 Kudos

Dear Ms. Kellerman,

I have enjoyed your books very much.  I especially like how Cindy Decker has evolved as a character.  It is interesting to see her and Peter interact now that they are both cops!  Any plans for a spin off of books starring Cindy?  Also, have any of yours or Jonathan's books been made into movies?  If not, any plans in the works? 

Sincerely,

Debra

Author
Faye_Kellerman
0 Kudos

the_archivist wrote:

Yes, grandchildren are the best!  I have a question, could you please tell your fans, how and why you created Pete and Rina?  The Ritual Bath was so steeped in Jewish life I, as I am sure many other readers, would like to know your thoughts about this series and Pete and Rina.

Thank you,

Deborah

They developed as part of me of course. I created them as compliments as well as contrasts. The sacred and profane so to speak. The extreme oppposites, from spirituality to baseness, are what make good reading.

Thanks so much for writing

Author
Faye_Kellerman
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:

Hi Faye, and welcome to B&N Book Clubs! I'm Stephanie, the moderator for Center Stage, and I am very excited to have you hereI got my copy of Mercedes Coffin, leapt right in, and I am embarrassed to say how many chapters it took me to figure out the title. Since I know that authors often have much different working titles than what we get at publication, I don't really pay much attention to themAnd so my question for you is, did you have a different working title and would you share it with us

Dear Stephanie:

Titles are a tricky thing. I try to find titles that work with the book and are evocative. In England, THE MERCEDES COFFIN became COLD CASE. They liked that better even though I think the first title forms a clearer picture of what I'm talking about. It is also much for fitting for the theme which deals with greed. How ironic that a symbol of wealth can be a death trap.

Best and thanks for writing

Faye

Author
Faye_Kellerman
0 Kudos

LittleMissPerfect wrote:
Hi! Wow! I am so pumped to be talking to you! I was wondering a couple things... 1: What is your favorite thing about writing? And 2: What advice do you have for an aspiring writer?

Thanks so much!

Thanks for writing. Writing is fun because you get to make up stories and manipulate the environment - something that's impossible to do in real life. But it's also hard work especially after all the books I've written. You have to be original each time and that gets harder and harder.

My advice to any writer is the same: WRITE AND READ. There is no substitute for just getting behind the computer and start putting words on paper.

Hope this helps

FK