Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
Faye_Kellerman
0 Kudos

Re: August 18-22: Faye Kellerman

legalchic-52 wrote:

Dear Ms. Kellerman,

I have enjoyed your books very much.  I especially like how Cindy Decker has evolved as a character.  It is interesting to see her and Peter interact now that they are both cops!  Any plans for a spin off of books starring Cindy?  Also, have any of yours or Jonathan's books been made into movies?  If not, any plans in the works? 

Sincerely,

Debra

Dear Debra:

Thanks for writing. I love Cindy and we may see her again in a starring role. In BURNT HOUSE and MERCEDES COFFIN, she had a very important supporting role. I like her and feel as you do - that the interaction between Cindy and Decker is charged everytime they talk.

No plans for movies but you never know.

Best

FK

Learn more about The Mercedes Coffin.

Discover all Faye Kellerman titles.

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Faye,

Your advice to aspiring writers - write and read - leads me to this question: what do you read in your spare time?  Any particular favorites? 

Stephanie
New User
LittleMissPerfect
0 Kudos

Re: Love your Books

Thanks so much for the advice!
Author
Faye_Kellerman
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:

Faye,

Your advice to aspiring writers - write and read - leads me to this question: what do you read in your spare time?  Any particular favorites? 

I tend to read a lot of non-fiction and a lot of biolgraphies. I do read fiction as well. I recently read the Edgar Sawtelle book as well as Saul Bellow's Ravelstein because I saw it in the bookshelf. Among other recently read books was David Sedaris's newest and I just received a book on how to prepare for disasters - I forgot the exact title. Living in earthquake country, it's a good idea. I've lived through two bad earthquakes here and quite a few smaller ones. During the ,94 quake, my son and I took the battery pack from the computer and used it to plug in a portable TV since all the electricity went out.

Not too bad

FK

Contributor
boolovey
0 Kudos

I am so excited to be able to write to you. I have loved all of your books. I have especially loved "watching" Peter and Rina's children grow up and the times that you have focused in your novels on the disappointments and the challenges that all families face. When I first started reading the series I had no children but now I have 4 and I have reread some of those earlier books and the relationship that Rina has with her children has so much more texture for me now. How do you think your writing has changed or developed as your children have gotten older? Did they ever resent the time that you and your husband spent writing? How do you balance those two facets of your life?

Tina

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live. ~ Mark Twain
Author
Faye_Kellerman
0 Kudos

boolovey wrote:

I am so excited to be able to write to you. I have loved all of your books. I have especially loved "watching" Peter and Rina's children grow up and the times that you have focused in your novels on the disappointments and the challenges that all families face. When I first started reading the series I had no children but now I have 4 and I have reread some of those earlier books and the relationship that Rina has with her children has so much more texture for me now. How do you think your writing has changed or developed as your children have gotten older? Did they ever resent the time that you and your husband spent writing? How do you balance those two facets of your life?

Tina

Good questions. I don't think the kids have resented our writing time. If anything, it's not as scheduled as most jobs and we were always able to be there for them. The few times either one of us went touring, it was an opportunity for the kids to have some fun with the remaining parent.

Writing doesn't change much if the kids are older or younger, BUT I do have a lot more time to think because three out of four children are out of the house. You need more time to think when you get older. You've written a lot a books and have to be careful not to repeat yourself.

Thanks so much for writing and I hope this helps.

FK

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

I love biographies - especially ones that include a good bit of history of the eraI suppose one of the greatest side benefits to reading is learning about other places and timesI might know everything I know about LA from you!

Do you enjoy researching places? How do you go about itAnd how accurate do you feel you have to be?   

Stephanie
Author
Faye_Kellerman
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:

I love biographies - especially ones that include a good bit of history of the eraI suppose one of the greatest side benefits to reading is learning about other places and timesI might know everything I know about LA from you!

Do you enjoy researching places? How do you go about itAnd how accurate do you feel you have to be?   

I love travel and I love researching so the combination of the two is a real winner. Researching is detective work. The first thing I do is check out as much as I can do from my office. It really cuts down on the leg work. It also helps to hook up with as many experts as you can. As far as accuracy, you should be as accurate as you can be without overloading the book with details. You learn so much but you can't use everything. The key is to be able to winnow the material to make it interesting, but not make it read like a history book.

Thanks for this opportunity to communicate with everyone.

Best

FK

New User
Tiffany84
0 Kudos

Re: Movies??

[ Edited ]

The thing i love most about your series is the dichotomy of the personal and professional lives of the charaters.  its very refreshing to be reminded that the characters are not all work, and life isnt all puppies and rainbows at home.  I would love to see how the books translate to the screen though.......

Message Edited by Tiffany84 on 08-22-2008 04:38 PM
Author
Faye_Kellerman
0 Kudos

Re: Movies??

Tiffany84 wrote:

The thing i love most about your series is the dichotomy of the personal and professional lives of the charaters.  its very refreshing to be reminded that the characters are not all work, and life isnt all puppies and rainbows at home.  I would love to see how the books translate to the screen though.......

Message Edited by Tiffany84 on 08-22-2008 04:38 PM

Thanks. While movies are not my main goal, I'd be willing to translate them on to the big screen but only if it were done correctly. There are just too many bad movies out there to take a chance.

Thanks again for writing in

FK

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Faye,

I can't tell you how much I appreciate all the insight you've given us into your work  - it's been such a pleasure getting to know you here. 

Everyone- thanks so much for joining in the conversation.  Hope to see you all again soon!

Stephanie