Inspired Correspondent
Bethanne
0 Kudos

Re: Dorothea Benton Frank, July 6-10

dotfrank wrote:
Bethanne, What do you want to know about the mirror?  Windex or vinegar and warm water?  Honey, you don't want that mirror - that's what you need to know - unless you want a house fullaghostss!  Glad to be here, BTW, thanks for having me!
Dot, so glad you're here! I know you're traveling, so we'll all be patient while you find places with Internet access.
I want to know more about that mirror's history. Which book should I turn to for that? Also: Are "haunted mirrors" a Gullah tradition?
Thanks again,
Bethanne 

Check out this week's Center Stage discussion!

See all upcoming discussions!

0 Kudos

As i read on RTSI,I thought there was a referance to a house on the marshland,I will find it,It reminded me me of Isle of Palms.I have a Question  Have you ever thought ofwriting a non fiction,or some book that you are think about,that is not about SI? After reading your resume,it seems that you lead a full and fulling life,surely  you have one that would really surprise us..Never ever stop writing about Lowcountry..sorry,but you have s0 many fans that would miss all the other stories..Beth becomes a Mother,Susan A Grandmother,oh no!!! Hope you ar enjoying us as much as we are rhrilled to have you here..Vtc

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Inspired Correspondent
Bethanne
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Good morning, Center Stage visitors! I have a treat today; a mini-interview with Dot Frank that may make you ask some new questions:

Center Stage: How is your new book different from your other books?

Dorothea Benton Frank: RETURN TO SULLIVANS ISLAND is different in many ways from all my books for several reasons. It is written in third person, somethingI have never done before. The protagonist is 23 years old - the youngest one to date. And I think the writing is better than my other books, but I might be wrong about that.

CS: What's the most interesting thing a reader has ever asked you?

DBF: Did I want to come over to their house and drink wine and eat brie on crackers? Um, the answer was gee, thanks, but I gotta work tomorrow.

CS: What's the one thing that no one has ever asked you that you are dying to make known?

DBF: That if I had my life to live over again would I change anything and the answer is I would have had my parents live longer.

CS: Whose books would you have written if not your own?

DBF: Are you kidding?  How much time do we have?  Austen, Wilde, Shakespeare, Anne Rivers Siddons...This could be a very long list!

CS: If you weren't a writer, you'd be...

DBF: A chef.

Hmmmm, Dot would be a chef...now that's a restaurant where I'd like to dine. I'm sure there would be some terrific seafood specialties! 

Message Edited by PaulH on 07-09-2009 02:43 PM

0 Kudos

Lmfwhite wrote:

I'm excited that you are again coming to North Carolina this weekYou are a favorite with our book club and each year when you come to Charlotte (whether it be Barnes & Noble; Park Road Books; or Borders) we come to see you and get our books signedThis year we are coming to Concord, North Carolina to get you to sign our books on Tuesday, July 7Can't waitI, too, read Sullivan's Island about 5 years ago and I just finished rereading it this weekI liked it even more the second time aroundBecause of your books, I packed up the family and we finally went to the Charleston area for a vacation 5 years agoNow it is one of my favorite places in the world to visit and we go there all the timeThank-you for making this NY girl a southern girl at heartAlso, there are so many things I love about your books but one of my favorites is how characters/places from previous novels make "cameo" appearances in subsequent booksThank you so much for making a sequel to Sullivan's Island.  I have it in my grubby little hands and cannot wait to start it.  

The questions I have is how many of your characters/storylines are based on actual people/eventsAlso, how do you decide what a novel will be aboutDo the characters "come" to you or do you start with a storyline and go on from thereAnd of course, the question you are always asked.....What is your next novel going to be about?????

Lmfwhite wrote:

I'm excited that you are again coming to North Carolina this weekYou are a favorite with our book club and each year when you come to Charlotte (whether it be Barnes & Noble; Park Road Books; or Borders) we come to see you and get our books signedThis year we are coming to Concord, North Carolina to get you to sign our books on Tuesday, July 7Can't waitI, too, read Sullivan's Island about 5 years ago and I just finished rereading it this weekI liked it even more the second time aroundBecause of your books, I packed up the family and we finally went to the Charleston area for a vacation 5 years agoNow it is one of my favorite places in the world to visit and we go there all the timeThank-you for making this NY girl a southern girl at heartAlso, there are so many things I love about your books but one of my favorites is how characters/places from previous novels make "cameo" appearances in subsequent booksThank you so much for making a sequel to Sullivan's Island.  I have it in my grubby little hands and cannot wait to start it.  

The questions I have is how many of your characters/storylines are based on actual people/eventsAlso, how do you decide what a novel will be aboutDo the characters "come" to you or do you start with a storyline and go on from thereAnd of course, the question you are always asked.....What is your next novel going to be about?????

By the way, I had the MOST wonderful time in Concord NC and in Charlotte - three fabulous events where i met some of the nicest women in the worldDon't know if i andwered this fully because today is the FIRST day this week I have had internet accessCan you imagine how frustrating that has beenANyway, I am writing a sequel to PLANTATION as soon as I get home.

Learn more about Bulls Island.

Discover all Dorothea Benton Frank titles.

Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

Redcatlady wrote:

I was wondering; will there be a sequel to Isle of Palms?  I really liked it.

Redcatlady

Redcatlady wrote:

I was wondering; will there be a sequel to Isle of Palms?  I really liked it.

Redcatlady

If you think you'd like it and other chime in saying so then why not?  I loved that story too.

Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

BreezyDay wrote:
I just read your resume and you seem to be involved in so many things.  I was wondering what made you start your very first novel?

I wrote my first novel because I wanted to buy my mother's house.  It was a very emotional time for me and I was determined to reclaim my place on the planet - namely Sullivans Island.

Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

Bethanne and all,

Forgive me because I have just arrived in Columbia SC and have internet for the first time this week.  I don't know how we ever lived without it - like paper towels!  Anyway, here I am and if your visitors/readers want to bombard me with questions about anything in the world, bomb away and let's make the best of the time we have left together!  So glad to be back !  Thanks for your patience!

Dot

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

.. I really enjoyed reading and responding ,,I must say this is my first Center Stage .RTSI was on pre-order ,not a real hard decision what to do..Getting deeper into the book,and will read slowly..thats how I think your books should be read ,for me that is...Have a Wonderful Summer,And to Bethanne,Thanks   for bringing one of my favorite Writers To BN
Inspired Correspondent
Bethanne
0 Kudos

dotfrank wrote:

Bethanne and all,

Forgive me because I have just arrived in Columbia SC and have internet for the first time this week.  I don't know how we ever lived without it - like paper towels!  Anyway, here I am and if your visitors/readers want to bombard me with questions about anything in the world, bomb away and let's make the best of the time we have left together!  So glad to be back !  Thanks for your patience!

Dot

Dot, we are glad to have you back online and able to "talk" with us.
Here's my "bombs away" question: Is Beth going to "return" in another book?
Bethanne 

0 Kudos

Just popped in to say hello and goodbye,Will be reading Plantation soon.2010, will be Looking forward to your return,Vtc 
Inspired Correspondent
Bethanne
0 Kudos

Happy Friday, Center Stage visitors! First, I want to be sure you all know that Dot Frank is still "here" and taking your questions etc. 

Second, I want to thank Dot for her time and patience -- especially during a week when she didn't have a lot of Internet access! Thanks, Dot; we all appreciated hearing more about you, your books, and, of course, Sullivan's Island.

Bethanne 

0 Kudos

Beth will most definitely be back.  As I finished Return to Sullivans Island I realized a few things about her character.  She has not been through enough to atone for what she did, she still doesn't understand what a healthly relationship with the opposite sex should feel like and I'm just not done with her.  So yes, Be

Bethanne wrote:

dotfrank wrote:

Bethanne and all,

Dot

Dot, we are glad to have you back online and able to "talk" with us.
Here's my "bombs away" question: Is Beth going to "return" in another book?
Bethanne 

th will be back with Susan and Maggie and the whole crew.

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Another generation,another evolution of the families..Thats great news..Beth is so complex,and I am ready for her life to unfold before us.Thats exciting for us,and you seem to think so as wellThis has been a great experience for me,I probably said that before,but its true..Regards,Vtc

Frequent Contributor
Lmfwhite
0 Kudos

I was sitting on my screened in porch, reading my Coastal Living Magazine and what greets me in the middle of the magazine but a wonderful article on Dorothea Benton Frank, Sullivan's Island and your book!!  Why didn't you tell us you were in the July/August 2009 issue?  I will brag for you since you won't.  Congratulations!!!  It's a keeper!