Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
Bethanne
0 Kudos

Dorothea Benton Frank, July 6-10

Welcome, Dorothea Benton Frank, to Center Stage! We're all eager to discuss your new novel, RETURN TO SULLIVAN'S ISLAND

Dorothea Benton Frank is the New York Times best selling author of BULLS ISLAND (William Morrow 2008), THE LAND OF MANGO SUNSETS (William Morrow 2007), THE CHRISTMAS PEARL (William Morrow 2007), FULL OF GRACE (William Morrow 2006), PAWLEYS ISLAND (Berkley 2005), SHEM CREEK (Berkley 2004), ISLE OF PALMS (Berkley 2003), PLANTATION (Jove 2001) and SULLIVAN'S ISLAND (Jove 2000).

Ms Frank has appeared on NBC's Today Show, Parker Ladd's Book Talk and many local network affiliated television stations. She is a frequent speaker on creative writing and the creative process for students of all ages and in private venues as the National Arts Club, the Junior League of New York, Friends of the Library organizations and the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation. She has also been a guest speaker at the South Carolina Book Festival, Novello, North Carolina's festival of books and the Book and Author annual event in Charleston, SC, sponsored by the Post & Courier.

Before she began her writing career, Ms. Frank was involved extensively in the arts and education, and in raising awareness and funding for various non profits in New Jersey and New York. At the present time she serves on the Boards of the South Carolina Coastal Conservation League and The South Carolina Historical Society.

She has served as a trustee of the Bill T. Jones/Arnie Zane Dance Company, NY, Music Theater Group NY, The Mental Health Association of Essex County, New Jersey and The Community Foundation of New Jersey. In addition, she served on the Board of Trustees of the Drumthwacket Foundation, the official residence of the Governor of New Jersey, for seven years. In 1991, she was appointed to the New Jersey State Council on the Arts. She has been a public speaker on fundraising and ADA compliance locally and nationally for the National Endowment for the Arts. Her work on ADA compliance and the Arts Access Task Force was filmed by NJ Network, a PBS affiliate and nominated for a regional Emmy in 1995.

Past board service includes The New Jersey Chamber Music Society, Whole Theater, Dance NJ, American Stage Company, and Senior Care of Montclair. As a volunteer fund raiser, she has planned events for Bloomfield College, The Montclair Kimberley Academy, Unity Concerts, Papermill Playhouse, Overseas Neighbors, Young President's Organization and The National Governor's Association. She is a 1991 graduate of the Leadership America Program.

The author, who was born and raised on Sullivan's Island in South Carolina and has been married for 25 years to Peter Frank, currently divides her time between New Jersey and South Carolina where their children attend college.

Check out this week's Center Stage discussion!

See all upcoming discussions!

0 Kudos

Re: Dorothea Benton Frank, July 6-10

A video of Dorothea for your viewing pleasure!

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Welcome..I have read some of your books,'Sullivans Island" was my first,then'Pawleys Island "on Cd,which was wonderful,and your voice just fit the book so perfectly.'Isle of Palms",I have read twice,and now a friend has it..I wanted their lives to go on and on..Then after reading that your new book, "Return to Sullivans Island" was available for pre-order and you would be on "Board" to answer our questions and discuss, weell,here I am..I just received your book this Am at my Post Office in Manchester Center,Vt,and will try my best to finish some chapters.When I looked at the publication date of "Sullivans Island",I had no Idea it was 9yrs ago.I believe I read it in 2004,...My one lonely question...When did you think it was time  to bring back the next generation?One more,has it been on the back burner,because of the richness of the story?,that it now has another life?,which I am sure we are all happy about..I hope I made some sense..,Until 7/6  Vtc
Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Frequent Contributor
Lmfwhite
0 Kudos

I'm excited that you are again coming to North Carolina this week.  You are a favorite with our book club and each year when you come to Charlotte (whether it be Barnes & Noble; Park Road Books; or Borders) we come to see you and get our books signed.  This year we are coming to Concord, North Carolina to get you to sign our books on Tuesday, July 7.  Can't wait! I, too, read Sullivan's Island about 5 years ago and I just finished rereading it this week.  I liked it even more the second time around.  Because of your books, I packed up the family and we finally went to the Charleston area for a vacation 5 years ago.  Now it is one of my favorite places in the world to visit and we go there all the time.  Thank-you for making this NY girl a southern girl at heart.  Also, there are so many things I love about your books but one of my favorites is how characters/places from previous novels make "cameo" appearances in subsequent books.  Thank you so much for making a sequel to Sullivan's Island.  I have it in my grubby little hands and cannot wait to start it.  

The questions I have is how many of your characters/storylines are based on actual people/events? Also, how do you decide what a novel will be about?  Do the characters "come" to you or do you start with a storyline and go on from there?  And of course, the question you are always asked.....What is your next novel going to be about?????

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

On to Chapter 3..Its been a little busy around here,so I am looking forward to reading later on,'Beth is Back" glad she has been away,like all of us...Vtc  Will also take a look at your website to see what your tour agenda looks like..Hopefully somewhere in New England,that would be quite a treat....V

Correspondent
scnole
0 Kudos

I live in Columbia, SC and love your books.   I read Sullivan's Island awhile back and passed it on to my sister to read.  I plan on reading it again - and then your new book.

How do do you come up with topics for your books?  I'm really excited that you have written another book about Sullivan's Island - can't wait to read it.

Do you plan on coming to a Barnes and Noble in Columbia for a book signing in the near future?  

Please continue to write books about SC - love them!!!!

Inspired Correspondent
Bethanne
0 Kudos

Welcome, VermontCozy, LMFWhite, and SNole -- glad to see you all here. I can't wait to talk to Dottie Frank about RETURN TO SULLIVAN'S ISLAND. I have a few questions for her, particularly about that mirror! 

What is your favorite part of the "Sullivan's Island"/Dorothea Benton Frank world?

Bethanne 

0 Kudos

Thanks!  I have to tell you that I was in MAnchester VT for a wedding last year and thought it was completely charming!  Many thanks for your kind words. I wrote RETURN TO SI for many reasons, none the least of which was that readers kept asking for a sequel.  And then the seed was planted.  The more I thought about it the more I realized I missed those characters and the next step was obviously to see what they were up to. 

Learn more about Bulls Island.

Discover all Dorothea Benton Frank titles.

Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

Sometimes events in my books are related to actual events in life but usually not.  More often they relate to what's happening in the world at large.  Like land developers.  This whole business of developers trying to build on every square inch of coastal property makes me crazy!  And I think that if it's driving me crazy it might be bothering you too.  Sometimes characters come to me but mostly I have to develop them so that it will be plausible that they do the things they do.  If all goes well with RETURN TO SULLIVANS ISLAND I have a sequel to PLANTATION in outline and I'm ready to go!  I am so happy that you like the Lowcountry - it is pretty magical to me! 

Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

Not sure about the date but I will be in Columbia this week.  Check my tour schedule at www.dotfrank.com and it's all there!

My topics for books usually come from things - events, changing opinions in ethics and morals, stuff that bugs me . . .  I hope you'll enjoy RSI! 

Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

Bethanne, What do you want to know about the mirror?  Windex or vinegar and warm water?  Honey, you don't want that mirror - that's what you need to know - unless you want a house fullaghostss!  Glad to be here, BTW, thanks for having me!

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

You were in Manchester and never called : ).Its so great to read what has happened to evryone,its like a Family Reunion for all of us..Beth is Back and she reminds me of my daughter,we want our children to be independent,but GRRR..Still on chapter 3,kind of obsessed with the mirror,Beth will probably look into iit more than she wants to..I must say that as worldly I think I am(ha),until I started reading your books,Gullah was not a term I had ever heard,Thanks..I did read a bit more about the culture and was fascinated...I plan to read Plantation this summer,so when the sequel comes out I will be ready..Really enjoying having you here ..a real treat..Vtc  Any plans for Huey? or did I miss one your books ?

Frequent Contributor
Lmfwhite
0 Kudos

That's great news about a sequel to Plantation as well...something great to look forward to next summer!!  4 of us from our book club are heading out this afternoon from Charlotte to come see you in Concord, NC at the library (we are about an hour away)...we are all looking forward to our annual trek to say hello and get our books signed.  All of us are in the process of re-reading Sullivan's Island so we can start Return to Sullivan's Island.  (And we look forward to doing the same for Plantation next summer!)  I think I've dropped enough hints that I hope you do the sequel!
Frequent Contributor
Redcatlady
0 Kudos

I was wondering; will there be a sequel to Isle of Palms?  I really liked it.

Redcatlady

New User
BreezyDay
0 Kudos

I just read your resume and you seem to be involved in so many things.  I was wondering what made you start your very first novel?
Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

I'm thinking a sequel to PAWLEYS ISLAND might just be a heckuva lot of fun.  What do you think?  The whole Gullah thing is just amazing - great fun to research.  You should read Roger Pinckney's BLUE ROOTS if you really want the skinny. 

Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

I would love to write a sequel to IOP - that was a very funny book, I think.

Frequent Contributor
CAT72
0 Kudos

I would love to see a sequel to Pawleys Island.  That is my absolute favorite...even though I love all of your books.

Can't wait to see you Sat. at Towne Center.

UPCOUTRY GIRL...LOWCOUNTRY HEART!!!
Inspired Correspondent
Bethanne
0 Kudos

CAT72 wrote:

I would love to see a sequel to Pawleys Island.  That is my absolute favorite...even though I love all of your books.

Can't wait to see you Sat. at Towne Center.

CAT72, I love your "Upcountry Girl, Lowcountry Heart" tag.
Dot, I haven't read all of your books, so forgive me if one of them answers this: Are any of Beth's mother's "Geechee Girl Remembers" columns written down? I think that they'd be great fun to read. (In fact, I'd read an entire book of them...)
Bethanne