Reply
Inspired Correspondent
Bethanne
Posts: 495
Registered: ‎10-24-2008
0 Kudos

Elmore Leonard, May 18-22

Elmore Leonard has written more than forty books during hishighly successful writing career, including the bestsellers Up in Honey’sRoom, The Hot Kid, Mr. Paradise, Tishomingo Blues and the criticallyacclaimed collection of short stories, When the Women Come Out to Dance.Many of his books have been made into movies, including Get Shorty, Out ofSight, and Be Cool. He is the recipient of the Grand Master Award ofthe Mystery Writers of America. He lives with his wife, Christine, inBloomfield Village, Michigan.

_______________________________________________________

Check out this week's Center Stage discussion!

See all upcoming discussions!

_______________________________________________________
Author
Elmore_Leonard_1
Posts: 17
Registered: ‎05-18-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Elmore Leonard, May 18-22

Thank you, Bethanne.  Where is everybody?
Inspired Correspondent
Bethanne
Posts: 495
Registered: ‎10-24-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Elmore Leonard, May 18-22


Elmore_Leonard_1 wrote:
Thank you, Bethanne.  Where is everybody?
Well, I'm here -- for all that's worth! Good morning, Elmore. Congrats on today's lovely Washington Post review of ROAD DOGS!
Bethanne 

 

_______________________________________________________

Check out this week's Center Stage discussion!

See all upcoming discussions!

_______________________________________________________
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,679
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Elmore Leonard, May 18-22

I'm so excited to see you here!  

 

You are an amazingly prolific author, and I'm curious -- do you aim to write a certain number of books a year, or is your head just bursting with so many stories that as soon as one story is finished, you're ready to begin another?  I'm awed that you are able to maintain such a high quality of work and still write so many books!

 

Also, do you have a personal favorite of your books? 

Author
Elmore_Leonard_1
Posts: 17
Registered: ‎05-18-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Elmore Leonard, May 18-22

My resaercher, Gregg and I are getting ready to go to The Metro-Detroit Book and Author Society Luncheon.
Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
Posts: 2,801
Registered: ‎03-23-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Elmore Leonard, May 18-22

Hi there, Mr. Leonard.

 

Road Dogs was a rip of a read! I imagine it'll be snatched up soon for the big screen. Like all your books, it's incredibly cinematic. Speaking of which; do you generally like the film adaptations of your novels?

 

Thanks!

 

Paul

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,679
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Elmore Leonard, May 18-22

On that same subject, what do you think makes your books so cinematic?  So many authors would love to have their books brought to the screen, but either it doesn't happen at all, or it doesn't happen successfully.  Your books have not only been made into movies, but they were successful movies.  What do you think you're doing right that others are missing?
B&N Bookseller
Virginia_H
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎01-02-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Elmore Leonard, May 18-22

I'm a new fan.  I read Road Dogs first and couldn't put it down.  While I was reading Out of Sight, my brother picked up Road Dogs and wasn't rooting for the Foley character at the beginning.  At the end of both books, though, as a reader, I was breathing a sigh of relief that he was still alive.  I am such a fan of the writing style, and how human each character is.  I look forward to reading much more!

 

What authors have made you want to read everything they've written?

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
Posts: 5,276
Registered: ‎10-20-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Elmore Leonard, May 18-22

Welcome Mr.Leonard, While living in Florida and reading your books gave me an insiders view of all the "Happenings" that went on there .We lived in "Eastpoint' St.George Island"(the best seafood) Apalachiacola Area (no Publix(,just Piggly Wiggly) area,so Tallahassee was near and dear to my heart(it had a Publix,)..Have not read "Road Dogs" yet but will be read during the summer..I live in Vt now and some similarities do exist here ,pertaining to the characters in your books.(without the corruption,of course!!!).surely everyone here knows what I mean.I am trying to think of your book that I absolutely loved,I believe it took place in the Tallahassee Area..The Name escapes me..Great to see you looking Good..with a twinkle....Vtcozy
Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Inspired Correspondent
Bethanne
Posts: 495
Registered: ‎10-24-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Elmore Leonard, May 18-22


virginiaanne wrote:

I'm a new fan.  I read Road Dogs first and couldn't put it down.  While I was reading Out of Sight, my brother picked up Road Dogs and wasn't rooting for the Foley character at the beginning.  At the end of both books, though, as a reader, I was breathing a sigh of relief that he was still alive.  I am such a fan of the writing style, and how human each character is.  I look forward to reading much more!

 

What authors have made you want to read everything they've written?


Virginia Anne, why do you think you became a "fan" of Foley's by the end? Elmore, what is your favorite thing about Foley?
Bethanne 

 

_______________________________________________________

Check out this week's Center Stage discussion!

See all upcoming discussions!

_______________________________________________________
Inspired Correspondent
Bethanne
Posts: 495
Registered: ‎10-24-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Elmore Leonard, May 18-22


becke_davis wrote:
On that same subject, what do you think makes your books so cinematic?  So many authors would love to have their books brought to the screen, but either it doesn't happen at all, or it doesn't happen successfully.  Your books have not only been made into movies, but they were successful movies.  What do you think you're doing right that others are missing?
I think that's a great question -- whether or not you do anything consciously to make your books cinema-ready! Do you see any particular things you do/ways you write that make this happen?
Bethanne 

 

 

_______________________________________________________

Check out this week's Center Stage discussion!

See all upcoming discussions!

_______________________________________________________
Author
Elmore_Leonard_1
Posts: 17
Registered: ‎05-18-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Elmore Leonard, May 18-22

Also, do you have a personal favorite of your books? 

becke_davis wrote:

I'm so excited to see you here!  

 

You are an amazingly prolific author, and I'm curious -- do you aim to write a certain number of books a year, or is your head just bursting with so many stories that as soon as one story is finished, you're ready to begin another?  I'm awed that you are able to maintain such a high quality of work and still write so many books!

 

 

--I don't write more than one book a year and most of the time, less than that. 

 

Also, do you have a personal favorite of your books? 

 

--It's always the latest one. 

 

 

 

Author
Elmore_Leonard_1
Posts: 17
Registered: ‎05-18-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Elmore Leonard, May 18-22


PaulH wrote:

Hi there, Mr. Leonard.

 

Road Dogs was a rip of a read! I imagine it'll be snatched up soon for the big screen. Like all your books, it's incredibly cinematic. Speaking of which; do you generally like the film adaptations of your novels?

 

Thanks!

 

Paul


i like Get Shorty, Out of Sight and Jackie Brown a lot.  The others are passable but not as good as these three. 


 

Author
Elmore_Leonard_1
Posts: 17
Registered: ‎05-18-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Elmore Leonard, May 18-22


becke_davis wrote:
On that same subject, what do you think makes your books so cinematic?  So many authors would love to have their books brought to the screen, but either it doesn't happen at all, or it doesn't happen successfully.  Your books have not only been made into movies, but they were successful movies.  What do you think you're doing right that others are missing?
--I write in scenes, but what makes a movie successful is the director, screenwriter and cast.  They have to come together.  It doesn't matter who good your work is, if you don't have this combination, your work will be mediocre at best.
 

 

Author
Elmore_Leonard_1
Posts: 17
Registered: ‎05-18-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Elmore Leonard, May 18-22


virginiaanne wrote:

I'm a new fan.  I read Road Dogs first and couldn't put it down.  While I was reading Out of Sight, my brother picked up Road Dogs and wasn't rooting for the Foley character at the beginning.  At the end of both books, though, as a reader, I was breathing a sigh of relief that he was still alive.  I am such a fan of the writing style, and how human each character is.  I look forward to reading much more!

 

What authors have made you want to read everything they've written?

  --You get what I'm trying to do.
--Heingway certainly, then Richard Bissell and maybe Steinbeck.  Today I consider Cormac McCarthy a must-read. 
 

 

Author
Elmore_Leonard_1
Posts: 17
Registered: ‎05-18-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Elmore Leonard, May 18-22


Vermontcozy wrote:
Welcome Mr.Leonard, While living in Florida and reading your books gave me an insiders view of all the "Happenings" that went on there .We lived in "Eastpoint' St.George Island"(the best seafood) Apalachiacola Area (no Publix(,just Piggly Wiggly) area,so Tallahassee was near and dear to my heart(it had a Publix,)..Have not read "Road Dogs" yet but will be read during the summer..I live in Vt now and some similarities do exist here ,pertaining to the characters in your books.(without the corruption,of course!!!).surely everyone here knows what I mean.I am trying to think of your book that I absolutely loved,I believe it took place in the Tallahassee Area..The Name escapes me..Great to see you looking Good..with a twinkle....Vtcozy
 
I believe you're referring to Tishomingo Blues.

 

New User
RobbDutch
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎05-18-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Elmore Leonard, May 18-22

Will we see Father Terry from PAGAN BABIES in your next novel? 

 

Who would be ideal for a PAGAN BABIES cast? 

Author
Elmore_Leonard_1
Posts: 17
Registered: ‎05-18-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Elmore Leonard, May 18-22


RobbDutch wrote:

Will we see Father Terry from PAGAN BABIES in your next novel? 

 

--I doubt it.

 

 

Who would be ideal for a PAGAN BABIES cast? 

 

--I write the books, I don't cast the movies.  That said, I think Sarah Silverman would make a good Debbie Dewey.




 

Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
Posts: 2,801
Registered: ‎03-23-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Elmore Leonard, May 18-22

Elmore Leonard wrote:

 

"Today I consider Cormac McCarthy a must-read. "


I couldn't agree with you more, Mr. Leonard. Do you have a favorite? As a Western writer yourself, do you favor his Border Trilogy, as opposed to say, Suttree?

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Elmore Leonard, May 18-22

I wanted to thank you. I came across your books from the oposite end. Oh that movie was a book, which one. I've read 3 so far. All excellent.