Reply
Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
Posts: 272
Registered: ‎01-22-2009
0 Kudos

Re: February 2-6: Suzanne Brockmann


hopefloats wrote:

Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions this week.

 

You responded earlier that you don’t visit boards/blogs.  Are you surprised to learn of the stir DON has caused online and that many long time invested readers are a bit bewildered by it's conclusion and handling?  How do you keep a pulse on what your readers are thinking?  Are you concerned that relying on your own BB, which by nature has more fans than critics, your opportunity to hear/learn/understand valid criticism from your readers is limited?      

 

IMO, the biggest criticism of DON and this story arc is many readers feel they were shown one thing and then told something very different.  The Deck/Sophia storyline has Deck comforting/touching/running to her across 4 books but the reader is told in DON that he doesn’t like it when she gets close?  Dave, lovable and smart as all get out, is never shown to be SEAL material but in DON we’re told by Wildcard that he is.  How much weight should your readers give to what is shown vs. what is told when reading your books? 

 

You responded in a previous post that it’s not a “healthy concept that sexual intimacy demands a forever, happy ending” and that romance shouldn’t “teach women to expect a fairytale HEA.”  Later you say that you never mess with an HEA, an HEA is “set in stone.”  You do a fantastic job of creating characters that readers love and invest in.   You’re also aces when comes to bringing real life issues into this fictional world.  Why won’t we see an HEA couple break up, rebuild their lives, behave with affection/respect for one another and go on to find happiness again?  Is divorce or a break-up the final taboo in romantic fiction? 

 

And finally, as a maverick (love the word) that likes to push the conventions of a genre, where do you think you ultimately fit in?  You responded that you don’t really write romance that instead your write adventures or “dramedies.”  Though your upcoming workshop at RWA sounds interesting, do you feel that the romance world is still the place for you?  Do you think that since your books might be better suited on the “B” shelf above that handsome Grisham guy?

 

Thanks for your time.


Sorry, I don't accept the premise of your question.

 

I know that there's been noise about DARK OF NIGHT, but from what I understand -- without soiling myself too completely in the ugliness -- that noise has been from just a relatively small group of disgruntled people -- who seem to have more of a beef with me than with the book. 

 

And I know that much about it because friends have contacted me -- worried for my safety because there seems to be a few people who have devoted waaay too many hours each day to personally attacking me, visiting a long list of websites to do it. 

 

Apparently I'm a liar and I disrespect my readers.

 

(And COME ON, PEOPLE!  Where's that youtube video -- this is the perfect place for me to insert the URL of the crying reader saying "Leave Suz Alone!!!!")

 

But most of all I'm guilty of....  (GASP!) Working with my publisher to sell books!

 

And okay, yeah, I'll admit it -- I do totally disrespect those readers who have become my own personal cyberstalkers -- for the love of God, look at the effort you spend on dissing me!  Use your powers for something good, why don't you?

 

And learn to voice your criticism in terms that acknowledge that there are other readers in the world who might love the very books that you hate.  "It doesn't work FOR ME."  This acknowledges that other people exist in the world, with their own subjective likes and dislikes.

 

You know what I really have trouble with?  Those romance novels from the 1980s where the hero rapes the heroine.  Dang, skippy, those books completely don't work -- for me.  And yet I've met many, many nice, smart, funny, thoughtful readers (whom I do respect completely) who adore the very books that make me throw up a little in my mouth.   I'm not going to try to talk them out of reading them.  I will however gently say, "That story doesn't work for me.  Let's talk about Buffy instead..."  

 

But enough of my rant -- back to your "question." 

 

I think the internet gives us this really distorted sense of what appears to be going on in the romance community.  The book buying public is a HUGE group, and readers who post on romance blogs and websites are really just a small fraction of the romance reading audience.  (And for the record, I happen to believe that most of the readers in the online community are nice, smart and respectful of others.) 

 

And I know that the people who disapprove of me and DARK OF NIGHT (and probably Jules Cassidy, too.  Let's be honest about what this is about, at least for some of these disproportionately angry folks) are a small portion of the online romance reading population.  (Talk about limited!)

 

I remember the hoopla when GONE TOO FAR came out in hardcover -- there was all this internet talk about boycotts and backlash -- over something, I might add, that I-the-author had no control over.  Yet that book was on the Times list for weeks and weeks.  Because hundreds of thousands of readers are busy -- actually reading books, instead of posting on blogs about reading books!

 

And here again, is DARK OF NIGHT, after MONTHS of criticism and pre-judgement by people who hadn't read the book because they couldn't -- it wasn't yet released -- it's #6 on the Times list -- despite a hideous misprinting snafu. 

 

(Here's where, if I were Keith Olbermann, delivering a Special Comment, I would pause and turn to camera two.)

 

You ask how I keep a pulse on what my readers are thinking?  

 

I gotta be honest, I write long, loooong story arcs -- with endings planned out so far in advance that by the time I get reader feedback, it's moot, because the story's finished. The book may not be written, but the story is complete.

 

And again, the premise of your question assumes that a writer would WANT reader feedback.  Feedback on something that is completely subjective...  that's a weird thing to want.

 

It's similiar, in some ways, to giving awards for books or movies.  Unless there's only one judge, how can you get a panel of people (or even a collection of voters) to agree on what's "The Best?"

 

Your idea of best may not be mine, and vice versa.

 

So if I have five hundred readers who react to my books one way, and five hundred who react another way...  Are half of them wrong?  

 

I say no.  But for me to attempt to write a book that all 1000 readers love in the exact same way.... That's madness.

 

Instead, I write the stories that I NEED to write.  And I accept the fact that some readers may not like them.

 

And I'm not saying that I've never been influenced by readers, because that's not the case.  Readers email me all the time with their opinions, and ocassionally something that's said will resonate -- but it always only affects that which isn't set in stone, some part of the book that I don't see absolutely clearly.  

 

I'll give you an example.  When I was preparing to write Bobby Taylor's story in my TDD series, I got an email from a reader/fellow writer who said, "Hey, Just in case you haven't thought this out yet, do me a favor and don't pair giant Bobby up with a petite little heroine.  Let his heroine be tall, and strapping.  Give us bigger women a heroine to relate to."  

 

And I knew a lot about my heroine at that point -- including the fact that she was Wes Skelly's sister, but her physical characteristics hadn't yet gelled for me, and I thought yeah.  Okay.  It'll work if I make her statuesque.

 

But "Don't let Sam marry Mary Lou" ??? 

 

Sorry, the next book was already written by the time readers read the end of OVER THE EDGE.  And THAT was feedback that I got pretty solidly from a LARGE percentage of my readers.   But even if that next book hadn't been written, the story I needed to write was the one where Sam did marry Mary Lou. 

 

Some readers weren't (and still aren't) happy about that, but many came along on the ride with me and ended up satisfied.

 

But the day I start changing what I write based on what a (small) group of readers think that I should be writing, well...  That's the day I stop writing.

 

Your comments about DARK OF NIGHT above are just that -- your comments.  If I didn't make you believe that a Decker/Sophia relationship would've been disasterous -- probably more so for Decker, well, that's too bad.  Because I did try, and apparently what I did didn't work for you.  But it did work for many, many other readers, who completely connected with these characters and this story in the very way that I intended.

 

I've read some analyses of the book that are precisely, exactly spot on.

 

Are they wrong?  Am I wrong?  Does my writing need "improvement" because you didn't see something in my story that others had no problem finding?  

 

I stand by my book -- a book that I feel is among my very best, a book that quite a few readers have written to tell me is among their favorites in this series.  I believe that I showed the growth of all my characters quite accurately in the years between FLASHPOINT and DARK OF NIGHT.  

 

And I'm okay with it not working for you.  

 

And for the record, the word maverick doesn't appeal to me.  But I think you already knew that.  :smileywink:

 

-- Suzanne Brockmann

(my real name)


Learn more about Hot Pursuit.

Discover all Suzanne Brockmann titles.
Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
Posts: 272
Registered: ‎01-22-2009
0 Kudos

Re: February 2-6: Suzanne Brockmann


Amirah18 wrote:

My favorite characters hands down are Sam and Alyssa, and I am so happy that they one finally got together and two had a baby.  I always wondered what inspired you to right thoes to characters in and make both Sam and Alyssa so hard headed.  I loved DON. I never could imagine the whole Deck and Tracy thing that came out of no where tushay that was brilliant.  I was also wondering is the story with Zanella and Eden going to continue. Im so excited for the next book cant wait.

Thanks (Norwalk, CT)


Hey, Amiriah from Norwalk!

 

I grew up in Guilford, CT!

 

I can tell you absolutely that you will be seeing more of both Izzy and Eden.  (And Dan Gillman, too!)

 

I created Sam and Alyssa, because i wanted to write a series of books where a typical romance backstory played out in real time, over the course of a number of books.

 

So often in a romance novel, there's a hero and heroine who've had a steamy encounter in the past.  It didn't work out and they parted, but now they're forced to work together and...  this time real romance ensues.

 

SO that's what I did to Sam and Alyssa, starting in The Defiant Hero -- culminating in their own book, Gone Too Far!

 

Thanks so much for posting!  I'm so glad you enjoy my books!

 

-- Suz


Learn more about Hot Pursuit.

Discover all Suzanne Brockmann titles.
Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
Posts: 272
Registered: ‎01-22-2009
0 Kudos

Re: February 2-6: Suzanne Brockmann


bookit wrote:

Hi Suz, I too am a Idol fan.  I think I traumatized my kids when I yelled so loudly at the TV when Chris Daughtry got booted off a few seasons ago.  My son asked me last season, “Mom, if David cook doesn’t win are you going to take a baby girl fit again?” –LOLSo you can imagine the howls heard in my house when I read my first spoiler to find out Deck and Sophia were not going to get a HEA.  However, just like Chris Daughtry, Deck seems to have done very well for himself.  Thanks for spinning your special magic for Deck and Tracy! 

 

 You're welcome!

 

If you have any free time (LOL-yeah, like you have a lot of spare time!) I created a game called Wheels Up.  Wanna play?  It’s only 22 little questions…….

 You are going Wheels Up- away by yourself to a nice secluded vacation home to TRY to write in peace and have some fun……You can only choose one from each category.  Strict Rule:  No Substitutions (kinda like Chinese food combination plates) 

Due to these hard economic times, you are only allowed to pack one: ( in each category)

 1. pink, fuzzy slippers or sexy, black stiletto heels?  Totally slippers

2.(one book) L. Howard or J. Garwood?  Garwood (I read historicals to relax!)

3. one CD) Beatles or Aerosmith?  Beatles

4. Surfboard/bathing suit or Snowboard/winter coat?  Surfboard/bathingsuit

You arrive at your Wheels Up home away from home.  You look out the window, what do you see 

5. A lake or the Ocean?   (Does that work if I just highlight my choice?  Yes, I think it will...)

 

You start typing your new novel, the door bell rings, it’s Kenny’s wife Van.  She confides in you that she feels envious about the other SEALS’ wives having children and since Kenny was shot realizes more than ever that she wants to start a family.  She uncovers her dessert dish to reveal her delicious concoction she baked to share with you called the Chocolate Orgasm.  What do you serve with it-

6. Coffee or Tea? 

Thanks to President Obama, the economy is picking up-your DON sales are sky high-you now can afford to hire help. 

7. Pool Boy-Mike Muldoon or Jay Lopez?

8. Cable Guy-Lucky or Blue?

9. Personal bodyguard-Nash or Grady/Jones?

10.Chauffer-Tom P. or Joe Cat?

11. Personal Masseur-Sam or Max?   (Oh, crap.  Some of those have been hard but this one...  Errrr...  Sam.  Okay.  It's Sam!  (Sorry Max)

 

The SEALS’ wives decided to use your Wheels Up home for their next “Girls night out” since their hubbys have all gone Wheels Up.  As Kelly pops the corn over the stove, you stick in a DVD.  Is it

12.  The Notebook or 40 year Old virgin? (I have to admit I've never seen The Notebook.   I will close my eyes and go la la la over the waxing scene, though.)

Jenks and Lindsay “stop by” to watch the finale of Idol (rewind)  which David are you rooting for-

13.   Cookie or Archie?  (And again, my son is angry with me. <g>)

 

Your publisher calls and tells you that AI judges are now critiquing books.  Who do you want to critique your work:

14. Paula or Simon?  (Love him.)

 

The next night, just as you are settling in to catch up on LOST,  Izzy “drops in” unannounced and unexpectedly (Hey, he brought pizza) to bit*h about Gilman.  He TRIED hard to remember your favorite topping-(or the lesser of two evils)  You peek in the box and noticed he got it right.  What is the topping-

15. Pepperoni or mushroom? Izzy helps himself to a beer out of your refrigerator and yells, Yo, Suz want a

16.   beer, wine, or soda?   

 

Speaking of LOST….congratulations the judge loves your books.  You have won the grand prize of a fantasy date with your choice of….

17.   Sawyer or Syaid?  (this is pre Ed so Go For It) (Crap!  Again with the impossible choice.  Sorry James...)

 

Okay, you’re finally getting into the nitty gritty with The Dentist and the door bell rings AGAIN….it’s Tracy…..she is like so bored because Decker is like wheels up again and she really, really needs your help…she is trying to decide on a wedding song for her and Deck and she so doesn’t want the traditional too sappy love songs-like that is totally old school…..and every time she asks Deck, he is just like, Tracy, honey, whatever makes you happy……she starts to tell you her final two selections..but..wait…she whips out Deck’s bug sweeper and begins to sweep your rooms.  You’re thinking WTH? and you ask her what she is doing.  She responds: “Suz, I know you’re like BFF with Dave and there is like nooo way I am taking a chance that So-ph-ia is going to steal my wedding song.  She announces that your rooms are clean (as you roll your eyes.)  However, Tracy insists that she can sense(as she is sniffing the air) that jerk-face Izzy Zannella has been in your house recently.  As she paints your fingernails, she begs you to make her song choice for her:

18.  "You Shook Me All Night Long” by AC/DC or “Every Breath You Take” by the Police?  (Oh, I'm counseling her now to go without music if those are her only two choices.  And I'm more convinced than ever that it absolutely NEVER would've worked with her and Izzy. <g>)

 

As Tracy is leaving, she offers you her green friend because "like the sex with Deck is like so amazing that she is retiring George".  You think of your pool boy and respond, “all set”  (this is still pre Ed) 

 

Okay fast forward into the future (like a LOST episode) Now you have kids (Hello Ed)  Who will you have babysit?

19. Gina or Molly? 

As a Manny for your kids-

20. Robin or Abriham? 

 

Back to present:The next night, you are alone…your Wheels Up house is completely silent…all the doors and windows are locked…but wait..Suz’s spidey senses tell her someone is in the room with her.  Heart pounding frantically, you whirl around to find that he entered your house a silent as a ghost…is it

21.   Crash or Cosmo?

PHEW, he only came to check on you (your bodyguard has gone wheels up)  Your thinking: How does he do that? 

 

The next day as you are typing, the phone rings again, it’s Tracy…(she has offered to be your assistant while the guys are Wheels up)  she tells you that Letterman and Leno both want to book you to chat about DON (and that “Leave Suz alone” U-tube video) on the same night…(yes, you are THAT famous) (Thank you -- that's very funny -- I love this, BTW.) You choose:

22.   Letterman or Leno?   (Not Stephen Colbert???)

 

 Tracy goes on to tell you- in super fast speed- that Oprah wants you on her show as a guest the following week as she has chosen DON as her book club pick of the month.  But wait…you got bumped to second status guest….President Obama will be there as a guest for the first half hour and you graciously accept the second half hour.  (Flash forward again)  as you are in the green room, President Obama is so impressed with you that he hires you to write his book and furthermore, let’s you decide what kind of dog they will get for the White House……   (Two schnauzers, of course.)

Back to present….the phone rings again….you answer frustrated and say, “Tracy, I love you but you really need to let me get some work d…….”   You hear a male voice say, “Ahem Suz?”….your heart begins to flutter as you recognize the voice to belong to this hot author named Ed who you meet at an Obama rally…you dropped your Obama signs….as you both went to pick them up, your eyes met and you knew…(no more pool boy)    Ed says on the phone, “I know you’re busy but I would love to whisk you away for a few hours for a quiet dinner”    Not only is Ed dreamy but you know that he is the only man that can out smart even those SEALs to provide you some peace and quiet……You say, “PERFECT”

As you hang up, you go into a mini panic and think: shoot, did I pack my fuzzy slippers or sexy stilettos?  Then you take a deep breath and remember this is Ed….doesn’t matter which ones I wear…he will like me in either because Love is love is love…..HEA 

 

Okay, my game turned into a mini novel-sorry-those characters DO take on a life of their own!  Hopefully, my game was more fun than annoyance!! Write On…………..     


Okay here we go.  This one is going to be fun.  I'm going to put my answers right in the quoted text, in bold, okay?

 

Bravo -- very nice and very much fun!  Thank you so much!

 

-- Suz


Learn more about Hot Pursuit.

Discover all Suzanne Brockmann titles.
New User
Mollymazz
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎02-03-2009
0 Kudos

Re: February 2-6: Suzanne Brockmann

For Suz:

 

Concerning your previous to hopefloats. You go girl!

 

I honestly can't see the reason people are attacking your writing. Seriously?

 

Has every book/movie/tv show been exactly what you imagined that it was going to be? How can people criticize that which they have never done.

 

I know that every person is due their opinion. However, to go to such lengths to do so...is ridiculous to me.

 

You write the characters how you know them. They are your friends. You know what they want. We don't. Well, at least I don't. All I know is I want to hear about your friends and my friends. Who they fall in love or don't. If they get their happily ever after...which you always make sure to happen. I just had to get that out because I am annoyed for you Suz...and I am looking to find a webcam to make you a video. Because damn it, you deserve a video of me crying. lol ;-)

 

P.S. I also am not a fan of the word Maverick. You Betcha. That one isn't at the top of my list either.

Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
Posts: 272
Registered: ‎01-22-2009
0 Kudos

Re: February 2-6: Suzanne Brockmann

Okay, gang. 

 

It's after 11 -- my husband is wondering what's become of me!

 

I'll be back tomorrow for my last day here -- I'll try to answer as many of the remaining questions that I can!  

 

My ongoing thanks to the wonderful moderators -- thank you so much Bethanne and Becke for giving me this opportunity to connect with readers!  

 

See you tomorrow!

 

-- Suz


Learn more about Hot Pursuit.

Discover all Suzanne Brockmann titles.
New User
belljacy
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎02-05-2009
0 Kudos

Re: February 2-6: Suzanne Brockmann

I first started reading your TDD books, starting with the 4th book. I wasn't able to order the first 3 and spent several years looking for them at used book stores. I found the 2nd and 3rd books and finally Joe's story was re-released and I was able to read it. I think it's still my favorite. I've read and reread the series dozens of times. So naturally when Tom's story was released I grabbed it and with each new release I'm anxiously waiting for it to hit store shelves. I love the Troubleshooters but long for Mike and Thomas' stories from TDD. I loved DON and couldn't put it down until I finished it. I'm so glad Dave and Sophia got together, Deck never seemed right for her to me. I can't wait for your next release and look forward to more on Jules and Robin, Jules is wonderful. I know that Yashi has to have a story waiting just for him. I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of dog Tracy and Deck get, he needs a Great Dane, a gentle giant would fit in their lives just perfectly. Keep up the fantastic books.

 

Contributor
bookit
Posts: 6
Registered: ‎02-02-2009
0 Kudos

Re: February 2-6: Suzanne Brockmann


Suzanne_Brockmann wrote:

 

And for the record, the word maverick doesn't appeal to me.  But I think you already knew that.  :smileywink:

 

-- Suzanne Brockmann

(my real name)


  Suz,  LMAO-I'm glad you caught that one (maverick)-I sure did! :smileywink:  The word makes me cringe.  :smileymad:

 

Thanks for playing my "game" -you rock!  Not only do I admire you for your writing talent but also for not backing down from your beliefs...especailly Gay rights (you double rock!)

 

P.S. one more quick game: repeat over and over: Izzy and Eden, Izzy and Eden, Izzy and Eden........LOL


 

 

Contributor
bookit
Posts: 6
Registered: ‎02-02-2009
0 Kudos

Re: February 2-6: Suzanne Brockmann

[ Edited ]

Mollymazz wrote:

For Suz:

 

Concerning your previous to hopefloats. You go girl!

 

I honestly can't see the reason people are attacking your writing. Seriously?

 

Has every book/movie/tv show been exactly what you imagined that it was going to be? How can people criticize that which they have never done.

 

I know that every person is due their opinion. However, to go to such lengths to do so...is ridiculous to me.

 

You write the characters how you know them. They are your friends. You know what they want. We don't. Well, at least I don't. All I know is I want to hear about your friends and my friends. Who they fall in love or don't. If they get their happily ever after...which you always make sure to happen. I just had to get that out because I am annoyed for you Suz...and I am looking to find a webcam to make you a video. Because damn it, you deserve a video of me crying. lol ;-)

 

P.S. I also am not a fan of the word Maverick. You Betcha. That one isn't at the top of my list either.


 

OMG-is this mollymouse?  My long lost BB friend-my little mighty mouse?????

If so, I need to check for a PM option here!

 

I'm confident it is you-who else but Mighty Mouse to kick butt (in your nice, gentle way) and come to Suz's rescue???

 

I miss you!!!

 

p.s. I can't reveal my name because I posted about-aahh,hem, some "fun recreational activities" that my hubby and I experimented with from DON and yeah, probably don't want my MIL to stumble across that......(ggg)

 

 

Message Edited by bookit on 02-06-2009 12:11 AM
New User
msasl
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎02-02-2009
0 Kudos

Re: February 2-6: Suzanne Brockmann

Hey Suz,

 

You didn't ever actually say whether we would be seeing more of Martell, which kills me!  lol.

 

And because I'm sure you've said it somewhere, but I just haven't read it anywhere or searched enough,

 

are you in the Buffy/Angel corner or in the Buffy/Spike corner?  I have an on-going argument with my sister about this.

 

Thanks again for spending time here, particularly for everything you've stood up for about Jules/Robin and writing the stories that you needed to write.  I adore you.  

New User
Mollymazz
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎02-03-2009
0 Kudos

Re: February 2-6: Suzanne Brockmann

 

OMG-is this mollymouse?  My long lost BB friend-my little mighty mouse?????

If so, I need to check for a PM option here!

 

I'm confident it is you-who else but Mighty Mouse to kick butt (in your nice, gentle way) and come to Suz's rescue???

 

I miss you!!!

 

p.s. I can't reveal my name because I posted about-aahh,hem, some "fun recreational activities" that my hubby and I experimented with from DON and yeah, probably don't want my MIL to stumble across that......(ggg)

 

-------------------

 

Hey bookit!

 

I don't think I am your mollymouse. LOL I wish I was because you sound like a blast. However, I don't think I have been called that except once in college. :-) Unless I am forgetting something.....

 

You take care and ummmm keep enjoying yourself with those DON recreational activities. <g> ;-)

 

Molly

Contributor
bookit
Posts: 6
Registered: ‎02-02-2009
0 Kudos

Re: February 2-6: Suzanne Brockmann


Mollymazz wrote:

 

-------------------

 

Hey bookit!

 

I don't think I am your mollymouse. LOL I wish I was because you sound like a blast. However, I don't think I have been called that except once in college. :-) Unless I am forgetting something.....

 

You take care and ummmm keep enjoying yourself with those DON recreational activities. <g> ;-)

 

Molly


Oh, crap!!!!  I was so sure......I guess all Mollys are great butt kickers :smileywink: ( I love Molly in the T.S. series too)

 

 

Oh, where oh where is my Molly mouse?............

New User
Molliemouse
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎02-06-2009
0 Kudos

Re: February 2-6: Suzanne Brockmann

Hi Bookit!

 

Is this the Princess of the Trolls (though you're not a troll!) that I'm speaking to?

 

Mighty Molliemouse at your service! 

 

Are you all ready for baseball season? I am!

 

Hope all is well with you.

 

mm

Contributor
LyssaMT
Posts: 7
Registered: ‎02-01-2009
0 Kudos

Re: February 2-6: Suzanne Brockmann

Hello Suz.

 

First thank you for answering my other group of questions. I have one other...and this one involves DON and something that was said that legitimately has two possible interpretations. And either one could be acurate but I want to know which is.

 

Tracy is mentioned painting the women's locker area at TS INC, and providing a comfortable space for Alyssa and Ash when he needs to be fed.

 

When I read this I assumed that from her work at TS Alyssa needed to "relax" so her body could provide Ash with his meal. (How's that for trying to be subtle?)

 

Another reader read this as Ash's distress at wanting feeding, changing, or just sleep (He is a baby and they do get cranky) being a distress to the other co-workers?

 

Which did you intend? Or is it a mixture of both? I know silly question but it actually had me wondering.

 

Thanks you for the wonderful hours of enjoyment from your stories, even if you don't answer!

 

Lyssa

New User
orangehands
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎02-02-2009
0 Kudos

Re: February 2-6: Suzanne Brockmann

One of the things I'm thinking of doing is publishing a collection of Troubleshooters short stories -- including all of the stories that have gone out there as "extras" in the past, plus a handful more.  (I say a handful, because I have the tendency to write really long short stories!)  I've had requests from readers to publish a collection of all of the various stories, and this would do the trick.  Maybe in a Christmas or Valentine's Day collection.

 

So... a new story featuring Tracy and Decker... Check.  <g>

 

-- Suz

 

___

 

Um, just in case requests work: Molly and Jones. And Stan and Teri. And Mallory and David. (Cause those are three couples I'm not expecting to show up anytime soon.) But at the end of the day, Molly and Jones.   

 

I love a lot of characters and couples, but Molly and Jones...*sigh*

 

New User
dreamweaverTF
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎02-06-2009
0 Kudos

Re: February 2-6: Suzanne Brockmann

Bravo, Suz!!!  Thank you for being honest and true, both in how you've responded to the questions here at B & N and in your writing.  You know what they say - you can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time.  Trying to please everyone just results in one having to sacrifice something, whether it be their principles, their personal beliefs or even their integrity. 

 

I really enjoyed DON and thought you did a great job in making the readers see that the Troubleshooters' universe had unfolded just as it should have.  You have an amazing ability to bring your characters to life - they jump off the page and into the hearts of the readers - and I think it is a testament to your writing that your readers come to love and care about these characters as much as they do.  We become immersed in their world and their lives - we feel their sorrow and pain and revel in their finding their HEA, no matter how fraught the journey to that HEA may be in some cases.  We speculate about their motivations and analyze their actions and reactions.  Above all, though, we want the best for them because, over the years, in spite of being fictional characters, they have come to mean something to us   

 

Reading is such an individual experience - what I "read" in one book may be completely different than what a friend reads in the same book.  Like you said, that doesn't mean that I'm right and she's wrong or vice versa, it just means that we see and interpret things differently and that's perfectly fine.  I didn't see Sophia and Decker heading for a HEA.  That being said, when someone I knew who was following the series like me made their Sophia/Decker case, I would take the time to go back and re-read to see what, if anything I had missed.    

 

I look forward to reading the next book about the Troubleshooters world.  Wouldn't mind seeing a bit more of Jones and Molly (hint, hint) and I could really use a George (not green Tracy's George LOL) fix. 

 

Anyway, thanks for your books.  Keep writing and I'll keep reading!

Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,829
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: February 2-6: Suzanne Brockmann


becke_davis wrote:
Sej, my mind is boggling at the image of, say, Butch or Zsadist bellying up to the bar with Sam and Jules or Decker and Nash.  Or Izzy and Phury??? Talk about a parallel universe!
Oh but what a bunch of hotties that would be, I for one would be bellied up to that bar!!!!

 

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,678
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: February 2-6: Suzanne Brockmann

I enjoyed Suzanne's heartfelt post very much.  I think one thing many fans don't consider is that writing fiction is work.  It's hard -- really hard -- to write a single title book worthy of publication, but to write a series with this many characters and stretching over this many years?  Believe me, not many authors can pull it off.  And to do this successfully?  You could probably count the authors on, well, two hands at most.

 

When an author plans and plots and writes, if the author is popular enough to have a fanbase, it's possible it might cross the author's mind to wonder if their fans will approve of what he or she is writing.  But mostly, I doubt that it comes up.  Because an author writes what is in (let's go with "her") her head and in her heart, and what is right for the story arc and what is true to the characters.  We don't know her vision for future books -- if we did, how boring would that be?

 

Sure, a lot of people hated what Sam had to go through before he and Alyssa finally got together.  But how much more did we care because of what he went through?  When an author raises the stakes, it intensifies our connection to the characters.

 

Will we always like what the author gives us?  For me, Suzanne Brockmann has never let me down.  But she wasn't writing these for me:  she was writing the book of her heart, every single time.  Because if she didn't do that, none of us would care about the books because she wouldn't be writing what was true to her.  Authors don't write books for their fans, but if they write from their hearts -- and if they have talent -- the fans will come.

 

Speaking generally, if you don't like one of the books, that's your privilege.  No one can force you to buy, or to read a book.  And no one disputes your right to disagree with what is written.   But I can't think of a single case where an author has changed her story to please her fans, because the fans aren't sitting at the computer plotting, planning, writing for hours and days and even years, sweating blood over every word and every scene until it's right.  Just because some authors make it look easy, don't let that fool you.  Writing a book is work.  Writing a series is huge work.  And writing a series that has been so popular with so many people for so many years?  Rare doesn't begin to cover it.

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,678
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: February 2-6: Suzanne Brockmann

Contributor
bookit
Posts: 6
Registered: ‎02-02-2009
0 Kudos

Re: February 2-6: Suzanne Brockmann

[ Edited ]

Molliemouse wrote:

Hi Bookit!

 

Is this the Princess of the Trolls (though you're not a troll!) that I'm speaking to?

 

Mighty Molliemouse at your service! 

 

Are you all ready for baseball season? I am!

 

Hope all is well with you.

 

mm


 

Good Golly, Miss Molly!!!

 

I guess you really can find anyone on this internet thing!  (See people I'm not crazy... the mouse really does exist!)  LOL

 

Yep, that's me- one of the princess trolls from our game on the Brockmann Board-the one who crowned you Mighty Mouse for our kingdom (okay, now we do sound crazy-but those were good times!)

 

And how cool is it that Suz played my game here-she is so down to earth and funny-I'm thankful for the opportuntiy to chat with her a bit and for her sharing a piece of her life with us........I'm guessing not all celebrities take the time to do that-rare indeed, Becke!

 

I will try to PM you here........and oh yeah, looking forward to my Baseball guys.........right now I have my hands full nursing poor Sawyer's ego-thanks for passing on him, Suz...:smileyhappy:

Message Edited by bookit on 02-06-2009 12:57 PM
Message Edited by bookit on 02-06-2009 01:18 PM
Contributor
Mari_D
Posts: 7
Registered: ‎02-02-2009
0 Kudos

Re: February 2-6: Suzanne Brockmann

****jumping up and down and waving****

Be still my heart, a collection of all or most of your TS shorts, I'm there! Can I put it on my Christmas list now?  ****getting off my desktop before my co-workers say WTF?***

Mari D