Inspired Correspondent
Bethanne
0 Kudos

February 2-6: Suzanne Brockmann

[ Edited ]

We’re kicking off February here at Center Stage with Suzanne Brockmann, whose new novel Dark of Night will be released on January 27. 

Brockmann is prolific; you can see links to all forty-plus of her books here. The leading voice in romantic suspense,Brockmann won the Romance Writers of America #1 Favorite Book of the Year three years in a row (2000-2002), and she’s garnered two RITA awards and many Romantic Times Reviewer’s Choice Awards, too. Her titles include Into the FireAll Through the Night, Breaking Point, Out of Control, The Defiant Hero, and Bodyguard.

A New York Times-bestselling author, Brockmann is also well known for her novels about Navy SEALS in the "Troubleshooter" series. She's one of the most Internet-savvy writers out there, too. Not only does she participate in online events like this one; she holds virtual signings for each of her titles, too. 

Since Dark of Night comes out on January 27, if you don't have your copy yet, you can read an excerpt here. Here's a little info about the new book:

"Badly shaken after the loss of one of their own, the men and women of Troubleshooters Inc. go up against their most deadly opponents yet -- the clandestine organization called The Agency. Blackmail, extortion, murder: The Agency's black-ops sector will apparently stop at nothing to achieve their objective. But this time they've gone too far and hit too close to home.

Led by former Navy SEAL Lawrence Decker, a team of investigators -- from FBI agent Jules Cassidy and former CIA operative Dave Malkoff, to Troubleshooters Sophia Ghaffari, Tess Bailey, and even receptionist Tracy Shapiro -- band together to uncover the truth, and bring the killers to justice.

But the stakes are raised even higher when Decker barely escapes an attempt on his life. It soon becomes clear that the hunters have become the hunted -- and the Troubleshooters are no longer just solving a crime -- they're fighting for survival."

Suzanne lives west of Boston with her husband Ed Gaffney (he is a Dell author; you can learn more about him here) and, as of early 2007, two Schnauzers named Sugar and Spice. Take a look at her bio page to learn more about her activities (which include a cappella singing, philanthropy for Appalachia, and more -- when does this woman sleep?), and you can learn more about her schedule here

Let's all give Suzanne Brockmann a big Center Stage welcome -- post your questions, your comments, your compliments. Remember, you can ask about any of Brockmann's books, not just the new one, and you can post as often as you like.  

Message Edited by Bethanne on 01-22-2009 06:39 PM
Message Edited by Bethanne on 01-22-2009 07:01 PM
Message Edited by Bethanne on 01-22-2009 07:09 PM

Check out this week's Center Stage discussion!

See all upcoming discussions!

0 Kudos

Re: February 2-6: Suzanne Brockmann

I'd like to know if you have any plans to write again about Max & Gina. I feel their story is unfinished.
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Hi Suzanne, Wow I'm really talking to one of my favorite authors. I have read all of your books and am especially loving your Troubleshooters series (gosh I bet you don't hear that much do you). I also wanted to tell you how much I really enjoyed Robin and Jule's story, I was crying by the end it was so touching and I wanted to let you know that this fan salutes you for it. 
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I've been reading Suzanne Brockmann's books since before she was famous.  I found Max and Gina's story so painful (the book before their story, actually) that it was a few years before I got my nerve up to try again.  At that point, I started reading the whole series all over again.  Maybe I was more mature or something, but this time around I LOVE this whole series and read each new book the day it comes out.

This new book, Dark of Night (Troubleshooters Series #14)  may be the best one yet.  I've been counting the days until its release -- wanted this book a year ago, for Pete's sake -- but at the same time I dreaded it.  I suspected a couple books back that things weren't going to go the way it appeared that they would, and I was afraid I wouldn't like it when (if) that happened.  This is one author I've learned to trust, though -- she never lets me down.

Suzanne Brockmann may not give me what I expect, or even what I think I want, but at the end of each book I'm always cheering and adding another Brockmann book to my "keeper" pile.  I loved Izzy's story, loved Sam and Alyssa, loved Jules and Robin, loved Max and Gina's book (not the hijacking, the next one, although the second time around I was more prepared for the hijacking book, too).  Up until now, those were my favorites. 

This one, though.  This one was a real killer.  I can't praise her writing enough:  wow. 

New User
Aubrey22
0 Kudos

Wow! I couldn't believe my good fortune when I was browsing your website and ran across the post for the Center Stage chat, I just finished reading "Dark of Night," got it Tuesday morning and finished it Wednesday afternoon, and it was fabulous!  I am addicted to your Troubleshooters Series, my two favorite characters are Sam and Alyssa!

However, I do have a favorite reoccuring character Jay Lopez, so my question refers to him and is he ever going to get his own book?  I sure hope so!!!

By the way, just have to let you know I loved "All Through the Night".

New User
DN22
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

My question is about the friendships.   

Nash and Decker’s friendship was one of the best parts of Flashpoint and the subsequent books.  Yet in DON they have few scenes together and it is as if they do not know each other (when Tracy says what she says at the end – trying not to give away the book for those who have not read it).  Was this your intent?

Also, why make it like Dave is now their good friend when that has not been shown in the previous books?   

I enjoy the Troubleshooters series.  I just want to understand why many of the characters seemed like different people in Dark of Night.  It is not as if we had not had these characters' POV before in other books. 

Message Edited by DN22 on 01-31-2009 05:05 AM
New User
kurama83
0 Kudos

Why did you market Decker & Sophia as a couple?

Sophia and Decker are listed not once, but twice on the poll you created: as “favorite secondary (subplot) couple” where every other couple listed IS a romantic HEA couple and as “This series includes many multi-book story arcs … Which story arc was your favorite?” where every couple listed is a HEA couple except the ‘Jules and Robin/Adam/???’ entry, and Jules & Robin did get their HEA. You could have easily done something similar with Decker and Sophia/Dave or simply not included Sophia & Decker as a couple on the poll at all.

Can I ask, what was that made it impossible for Decker to be with Sophia? I see he says that he doesn't love her in DON, he had of felt something her, if not love or affection then what?

I understand that from you, you had stated that the K Stan event was not a sure way to give them an HEA, but why after all this time, all the scenes between them, the looks, the hug, the thoughts was in the end all that meaning nothing to them? It meant something otherwise there wouldn't of been a possible HEA for them.

I don't understand the purpose of making one of the main issues between Dave and Sophia about Decker and how Dave was becoming like him, if there was nothing between them why make it an issue between Dave and her?

I didn't like Dave in this book, he is an interesting guy but the way he was portrayed in book made him, excuse me, pathetic and desparate for Sophia's love, he was willing to do anyting for her even quit his job. I found Sophia to be a bit selfish, the way her thougts were going, how she chose Dave, she decided to be with Dave. Why make them like that, Sophia was a strong-willed person and Dave was a man who was like a brother to her, in DON he became somewhat dark and to himself not talking to Sophia, his jealousy towards the SEALs was unnessecary with what he was doing in DON.

Why suddenly was there an 'attraction' between Tracy and Decker? Decker and Sophia was together more than Decker and Tracy and there was some attraction between them, even the co-workers saw it, why the change? It was possible there was something them but why make it a surprise if you was never going to have Decker with Sophia?

Why did you have Sophia settle for Dave? Why allow Dave to a It accept that from her? It not fair to either of them IMO.

Inspired Correspondent
Bonnie824
0 Kudos

Just wanted to say hello and I am a huge fan of your troubleshooter series. In fact, it is what has brought me over from the paranormal side (I have been reading non stop for over a year.) I started backwards with one of your later books, but am now going back and reading the series from the start.

I love that your characters are real and flawed and don't do exactly what I want them to in each book. I also love that you have background characters and storylines, so that even if this book isn't the couple of my choice, I find other characters I can relate to more and still enjoy the plot.

From reading forward now, I'd also like to say, I think your writing is better with each book. I am very impressed with the detail and depth of them, despite being part of a huge series. And, love that they can actually stand alone and be really enjoyable.

Contributor
LyssaMT
0 Kudos

Hello there Suzanne,

First off, I adore the TS series. The characters are fully formed complete with heroism and character flaws that make them realistic. That said I have a question about the book prior to DON, Into the Fire and one about Dark of Night. In the book there is a character who is "six month pregnant" at the end of the July, but the baby is due, Sept. 2nd.  So my question is how pregnant was Eden?

My DON  question is simple. Is PJ okay?

Reader 2
lexp
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
As a person who was impatiently waiting for Decker and Sophia's story, all I have to say is...  I absolutely loved Decker and Tracy. I thought their dialogue was witty and sharp. I found myself laughing out loud so many times. They are my new Sam and Alyssa. I would love to see their story continue in later books. Maybe, Decker could propose to Tracy in a better manner than her cheating ex Lyle did.
Message Edited by lexp on 02-01-2009 05:45 PM
Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

Hi, Bethanne and everyone at Center Stage!

It's a pleasure to join you here this week.

I'm posting a little early (on Sunday night) -- because I won't be dropping in to this board until Monday evening.  Daytime is my writing time, and I guard it pretty fiercely, so you'll see me here after dinner, okay?  (I'm also a child when it comes to the internet.  My office doesn't have internet access or my day would be all surfing, no writing...)

It's particularly fun for me to be here, since I'm something of a BN.com book-buying junkie.  (Love that shop-in-my-pjs, delivered-to-my-front-door service!) 

You know, a new book release is always an exciting time.  I'm a reader as well as a writer, and I can tell you that, for me, there're few thrills that match that of holding a newly printed copy of my latest book in my hands.  (And DARK OF NIGHT is particularly shiny and pretty!)

It hasn't yet been a week since this book first hit the stores, but I've already heard from many readers who've already read it.  (And are asking about the next one -- HOT PURSUIT, which comes out in July.)  (Oh, if only I could write as fast as you read...)

Although I do want to mention that some of you may have had problems finding DON -- there was a misprinting incident, which resulted in no small amount of chaos.  Just a quick heads up -- if you go to your local store intending to pick up a copy of DARK OF NIGHT, just give a quick peek and double-check that page 121 follows 120.  If it does, you're solid, the book is printed correctly.  If not, please bring it to the attention of the store's manager! I'm pretty sure, though, that by now most of the misprinted books have been discovered.  (She said hopefully.)  Life sure can be interesting....

So okay.  DARK OF NIGHT.  The 14th installment in my ongoing Troubleshooters series.  I know there's been a lot of yowling about this book on various romance review websites, and I'm honored that people care so passionately about these characters that I created!  That's a truly wonderful thing.  I love passionate responses to my books!  I'll take a yowl anyday over a "ho-hum!" 

I also love character-driven stories.  One of my favorite writers is Joss Whedon (Buffy/Angel/Firefly) because of his amazing characters -- and because of his unwillingness to be pigeon-holed into a single genre.  (I always refer to BUFFY as a comedy, but it's also drama and horror and...) (I don't know about you, but I'm so ready for Joss's upcoming show, DOLLHOUSE.  Whoo-hoo!  Can't wait!!!)

(As an aside, my other favorite writers are Aaron Sorkin (The West Wing/Sports Night/Studio 60...), Robert B. Parker, Dean Koontz (particularly his Odd Thomas books), JR Ward, Virginia Kantra (love her new Children of the Sea series), Virginia Ellis, William Goldman, Jo Beverly, Susan Elizabeth Phillips, and Carla Kelly, whose latest book is on my bedside table as we speak.  It's the first thing I'll read after I finish writing HOT PURSUIT.)

Thanks for dropping by -- I'll try to answer as many of your questions as I can.  See you on Monday evening!

Cheers,

Suz

Learn more about Hot Pursuit.

Discover all Suzanne Brockmann titles.
Sej
Contributor
Sej
0 Kudos

Hi Suz!  I'm so gad you are here to answer questions and I have a lot! lol I hope you can answer some of them!  Love ya books, love the deep POV, love the surprises and boy was DON a doozy!  I was pleasantly surprised at how much I laughed during Tracy and Deck interactions.  They have become my favorite couple.  Here are my questions:

As a former Decker/Sophia fan, I loved that you put Decker with Tracy.  Will you give us short stories of those two?  Similar to what you did with Sam and Alyssa?  Or will we be seeing them in future books from their POV or just see them in Hot Pursuit?  I absolutely adore these two and I'm not alone!  Many of us want more of Decker and Tracy!  I'm not kidding, I took a stand on your BB and at least 13 more are behind me, with a million more MIA! 

Do you perhaps have those deleted scenes b/w Deck and Tracy, cause I would sure love to read them.

How come you didn't go into details about Deck and Tracy's life together when they were pretending to have broken up?

When Deck mentioned that it would suck to pay Tracy's rent, why did he say that?  He did lend Sophia 50K right?

When you started the story in Flashpoint, did you ever intend for Deck and Sophia to end up together?  And if you did, what made you decide otherwise?

What made you decide that Tracy was a better fit for Deck? When?

Were you perhaps intending to have Tracy and Izzy end up together?

Will we be seeing a confrontation b/w Deck and Izzy in the future?  *wiggling eyebrows*  Or even Izzy and Tracy?

How old are Decker, Tracy, Dave, and Sophia?

Why does Dave not like to take on leadership roles?  Does it have anything to do with Anise/Kathy?  Or was it his lack of confidence?

Who is Ash really named after?  Did Robin get it right?

So a lot of people are on the fence about Dr Jo.  Is she gonna get an HEA?  Cause that would be weird...*scratching head*

After hearing about the baby boom in the SpecWar community, how many babies have been born since ATTN?  And whose?

I find it interesting that you mentioned Walt from Lost in DON.  And also interesting that you used "flashbacks" to tell the story.  Coincidence?  *ggg*

Will you be able to tell us whose POV will be in Hot Pursuit, besides Sam and Alyssa?  Will there be an HEA story?

And finally, whose story is coming out after HP?  I'm dying for Jazz and Jay and Lew.  Oh let's not forget George Faulkner either!  lol

Thanks Suz!  I know these are lots of questions.  I'm so excited about Deck and Tracy ending up together.  I really would love to read more on them.  Heck maybe even a whole book.  They crack me up.

Sej (once a Suz fan, always a Suz fan)

New User
wavybrains
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Spoilers--Spoilers--Spoilers (not sure if this is neccessary here, but better safe)

I loved DON. I wasn't sure if I would, and I'm so happy that I went spoiler-free on this one. It made me more open to the not-what-I expected. I loved the way you let Decker unleash his true self, and after this, I agree that Sophia wouldn't have allowed him to do that.

Sej already asked most of my questions (Thanks!). 

But, I am curious about Hot Pursuit. It's being marketed as a Sam and Alyssa Book, but I'm really, really, hoping that it will have a NEW HEA romance as well. I'm sure you're keeping the hero/heroine close to your vest, but can you at least reassure me that there will be a new romance. 

Will Hot Pursuit be the last troubleshooters book? I really, really, really hope so. 

Sej's question about when you knew that Decker/Sophia wasn't going to happen is really burning a hole in my head right now. 

What made you pick Kenny for the injury? 

Also, if you're taking votes, Jay Lopez needs a story. Now. Now. Now. Also, pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaase don't feed him to the doctor. However, I'm betting I'd love whatever you come up with. 

Also, I would totally love to see more of Decker/Tracy. I didn't feel like they were resolved by any means (and bonus points if George makes another appearance). They have a ways to go before true HEA, IMHO. 

Thank you so much for your amazing, innovative books. 

Message Edited by wavybrains on 02-01-2009 11:14 PM
New User
Alyssa21
0 Kudos

Alright Suz I have some tough questions for you, I would like to address the SoDeck controversery :-)

First, I want to make it clear this is not about what as a reader I want you to write, it's about the trust relationship that the reader and author has.   I will echo Kurma above and ask why the misleading polls?  There are a lot of upset readers, not just 1 or 2 of us, and we all feel that those polls were extremely misleading on your part and a violation of the trust relationship.

I would also like to comment on what you said in your e-mail to SarahF that was publized on All About Romance and other blogs.  I don't want to repeat your words here but how could we expect anything else BUT a Sophia Decker HEA? In Flashpoint and Hot Target there was never a hint of a Dave Sophia HEA.  Although I know you did not intend for your comments to be publized, they were, and I feel very hurt by what you said.  You wanted fans to root for Decker and Sophia otherwise you would not have written Flashpoint and Hot Target and other books the way you did.   And then to dismiss a large portion of your fans with your words....I just don't get it.  You could not have had your surprise ending if so many of us hadn't bought into the Sophia Decker romance, you wanted us to believe and we did.  I don't think we deserve to be belittled the way we have been (and to be fair, aside from your e-mail, that is coming from your message board not from you)

Izzy and Eden also had a rather sorid hook-up in my opinion - should we expect her to end up with Lopez? This really gets to the heart of the matter for so many of us....we will follow these VERY, VERY, VERY long story arcs if in the end the couple gets together.  But I don't want to invest in Izzy and Eden only to have them break up and end up with different people the way you had with Decker, Sophia, Dave and Tracey.

I also think i could have enjoyed DON a lot more if you hadn't tried to have it as a surprise.  If you had just come out (like you did with Robin and Jules) and said here's what's happening folks....and explained your reasoning.  I think ending a 5 year long story arc was not the time to introduce surprise endings without explanation from the author, especially when there was such a large fan base for Decker and Sophia.

As one of your very first readers I would really appreciate you addressing my questions above.  Thanks!

Contributor
cjreader
0 Kudos

I agree.  Sam and Alyssa are the best couple.  I said this directly to Ms. Brockmann some time ago, but I want to acknowledge her here too.  Few popular authors take the time to treat Americans of African descent with sensitivity and respect, but Ms Brockmann does on each and every occasion (especially Harvard's Education).  Her writing, even when it was not pc to do so, says volumns about her as a person and gives hope for the future in literature.

Now for my question, when will we see more romance for the other AfroAms on the teams?

Inspired Correspondent
Bethanne
0 Kudos

Aubrey22 wrote:

Wow! I couldn't believe my good fortune when I was browsing your website and ran across the post for the Center Stage chat, I just finished reading "Dark of Night," got it Tuesday morning and finished it Wednesday afternoon, and it was fabulous!  I am addicted to your Troubleshooters Series, my two favorite characters are Sam and Alyssa!

However, I do have a favorite reoccuring character Jay Lopez, so my question refers to him and is he ever going to get his own book?  I sure hope so!!!

By the way, just have to let you know I loved "All Through the Night".

Welcome, Aubrey22! Glad you found Center Stage. Our schedules are posted a month ahead of time here, just in case you'd like to find out when other favorite authors are stopping by. 
Bethanne 

0 Kudos

It's not letting me edit my above post a second time. I meant to say that I really, really, really hope Hot Pursuit is NOT NOT NOT the last troubleshooters book. I'd love to see you make it to 20 and beyond.

I blame baby brain for the foul up :smileyhappy: 

Inspired Correspondent
Bethanne
0 Kudos

Suzanne_Brockmann wrote:

Hi, Bethanne and everyone at Center Stage!

It's a pleasure to join you here this week.

I'm posting a little early (on Sunday night) -- because I won't be dropping in to this board until Monday evening.  Daytime is my writing time, and I guard it pretty fiercely, so you'll see me here after dinner, okay?  (I'm also a child when it comes to the internet.  My office doesn't have internet access or my day would be all surfing, no writing...)

It's particularly fun for me to be here, since I'm something of a BN.com book-buying junkie.  (Love that shop-in-my-pjs, delivered-to-my-front-door service!) 

You know, a new book release is always an exciting time.  I'm a reader as well as a writer, and I can tell you that, for me, there're few thrills that match that of holding a newly printed copy of my latest book in my hands.  (And DARK OF NIGHT is particularly shiny and pretty!)

It hasn't yet been a week since this book first hit the stores, but I've already heard from many readers who've already read it.  (And are asking about the next one -- HOT PURSUIT, which comes out in July.)  (Oh, if only I could write as fast as you read...)

Although I do want to mention that some of you may have had problems finding DON -- there was a misprinting incident, which resulted in no small amount of chaos.  Just a quick heads up -- if you go to your local store intending to pick up a copy of DARK OF NIGHT, just give a quick peek and double-check that page 121 follows 120.  If it does, you're solid, the book is printed correctly.  If not, please bring it to the attention of the store's manager! I'm pretty sure, though, that by now most of the misprinted books have been discovered.  (She said hopefully.)  Life sure can be interesting....

So okay.  DARK OF NIGHT.  The 14th installment in my ongoing Troubleshooters series.  I know there's been a lot of yowling about this book on various romance review websites, and I'm honored that people care so passionately about these characters that I created!  That's a truly wonderful thing.  I love passionate responses to my books!  I'll take a yowl anyday over a "ho-hum!" 

I also love character-driven stories.  One of my favorite writers is Joss Whedon (Buffy/Angel/Firefly) because of his amazing characters -- and because of his unwillingness to be pigeon-holed into a single genre.  (I always refer to BUFFY as a comedy, but it's also drama and horror and...) (I don't know about you, but I'm so ready for Joss's upcoming show, DOLLHOUSE.  Whoo-hoo!  Can't wait!!!)

(As an aside, my other favorite writers are Aaron Sorkin (The West Wing/Sports Night/Studio 60...), Robert B. Parker, Dean Koontz (particularly his Odd Thomas books), JR Ward, Virginia Kantra (love her new Children of the Sea series), Virginia Ellis, William Goldman, Jo Beverly, Susan Elizabeth Phillips, and Carla Kelly, whose latest book is on my bedside table as we speak.  It's the first thing I'll read after I finish writing HOT PURSUIT.)

Thanks for dropping by -- I'll try to answer as many of your questions as I can.  See you on Monday evening!

Cheers,

Suz

Welcome, Suz! We all completely understand about your posting schedule, and look forward to seeing your comments and responses later tonight and/or tomorrow. No fan wants to see you give up precious writing time!!
Bethanne 

0 Kudos

Wavybrain says:  "Will Hot Pursuit be the last troubleshooters book? I really, really, really hope so."

NO, NO, NO!  There are still too many troubleshooter characters to talk about and more coming up in the ranks.  Imagine the missions to Iran, Afganistan, Gaza and Iraq (especially when Blackwater gets kicked out) that Ms. Brockmann can take us to.  Please, please, please, Ms. Brockmann, until there is peace in the Middle East, the troubleshooters are vital!  Not to mention other hot spots in the world.  Only Ms. Brockmann takes us there to the midst of the fighting with our hearts in our throats, white knuckles clinging to the book jacket, eyes wide with fear!  She delivers equal parts mystery and (you need oven mitts to hold her books) romance with every book.

Contributor
cjreader
0 Kudos

Whew!  Thank goodness, Wavybrains!  I wanted to cry when I read your post!  We have to keep Ms. Brockmann writing Troubleshooters forever!  Except for her and a very few others, we're living in a literary wasteland out here!