Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
brontyman
0 Kudos

Re: Garth Stein, September 14-18

Hey G!

I have come to see the epilogue as consistent with the story, at first I had a little trouble. I thought this was the happy ending that was added. As time as passed I have come to view it as part of that continuity of the essence of Enzo and it makes sense to me. In tha same manner I know Eve passed on to another existence also, but this was Enzo's story not hers and I can only sense that her story continues too.

B-man

Michael

"I don't need to fight to prove I'm right. I don't need to be forgiven..."
Baba O'Reilly-The Who
New User
radiogal
0 Kudos

Hello Garth,

Thank you so very much for  "The Art of Racing in the Rain".  I'm 65 and an avid reader, but never has a story moved me as much as this one has.  I fell in love with Enzo....what a beautiful soul you created.  My dog Teddy, the best friend I've ever had, is 13 now - slowing up, blind, deaf, but when it's time for Teddy to pass, I'll try to picture him, like Enzo, happy to be running and running, free of his feeble body.  I've been recommending this book to all my friends....so far I've given away 4 copies, and I'll keep buying them and handing them out until everyone I know has read this amazing story!  Thank you again for this wonderful gift you've given us all.

Susan (in New Jersey)

Inspired Correspondent
Bethanne
0 Kudos

I want to take the opportunity to remind everyone that there's still an entire day to ask Garth Stein questions or leave your comments for him about his wonderful novel THE ART OF RACING IN THE RAIN -- and Garth, thank you so much for your time this week and your lovely responses. We've all enjoyed "talking" with you very much.

Cheers,

Bethanne

Check out this week's Center Stage discussion!

See all upcoming discussions!

0 Kudos

Garth,

By now you are aware that Enzo has been and continues to be special to readers. You have created a voice that we hear in our dogs every day and we look at the world a little differently because of you. All of us have our personal reasons why we love the book. A lot of us, maybe more then you could have imagined, have gotten comfort from Enzo's endless fields. For whatever the reason, we readers, we fans, we "crazies" have had the profound experience of having  Enzo's voice  become part of our lives.

The book and Enzo lives on in us. Thank you again.

B-man

Michael

Baba O'Reilly-The Who
New User
radiogal
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Thank you, Michael, for expressing so well what so many of us apparently feel about THE ART OF RACING IN THE RAIN.    It's true - I carry Enzo and his story in my head and heart.

Susan (in New Jersey)

Author
Garth-Stein
0 Kudos

Oh, this is too funny!  I drove to Spokane with my son today for a soccer game tomorrow morning.  We checked into the Davenport Tower Hotel with its animal-themed lobby and in our room?   Three paintings of zebras! 

I'll check back later tonight for a formal sign off.  But if you don't check back again, thanks so much for participating in the chat, and I hope I can come back with my next book!

Garth

Frequent Contributor
brontyman
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hey G,

In your career there will be many other books, great characters, and compelling plots. We will join you on many of those journeys and we will share the magic of your words. However, the characters you created in The Art Of Racing In The Rain, for me at least, will be my first "love" and I will always compare a character's voice to that of a wise, loyal and all to human dog. If I have found my voice I found it with Enzo high in the mountains of Mongolia. Good luck with the next project. Peace to you and yours.

B-man

Michael

Baba O'Reilly-The Who
Author
Garth-Stein
0 Kudos

brontyman wrote:

Hey G,

In your career there will be many other books, great characters, and compelling plots. We will join you on many of those journeys and we will share the magic of your words. However, the characters you created in The Art Of Racing In The Rain, for me at least, will be my first "love" and I will always compare a character's voice to that of a wise, loyal and all to human dog. If I have found my voice I found it with Enzo high in the mountains of Mongolia. Good luck with the next project. Peace to you and yours.

B-man

You've always been my Brontyman.  

Peace, y'all.  And Goodnight....

G