Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

Iris and Roy Johansen: The Books

While Iris Johansen's style has evolved over the years, the same skill that made her "one of the leading authors of romance fiction" (Barbara Kemp) has helped establish her reputation in a broader field. As Catherine Coulter noted, "Iris Johansen is a bestselling author for the best reason -- she's a wonderful storyteller."

As an Edgar Award winning author, Roy is following in a proud tradition.

Below is just a sampling of their books. Which of them have you read? Reply to this message to talk about your favorites, and to ask the authors for their insights.

Roy Johansen

Beyond Belief
They call Joe Bailey the Spirit Basher. Formerly a professional magician, he’s become an ace police detective in Atlanta, debunking phony psychics and spiritualists who prey on the gullible. And he’s just caught his first sensational murder case. The victim is the head of a university parapsychology program, impaled in his own home by a massive sculpture no one could possibly have lifted. The prime suspect: an eight-year-old boy with violent telekinetic activity that erupts in his dreams. Could the boy possibly be the murderer? Joe doesn’t think so. And he’s determined to prove it. But first he must separate reality from illusion. To catch this killer, he can’t even trust his own senses. Because the truth is far more terrifying than anyone imagines. And if he doesn’t get someone to believe it soon, Joe and his child will be next.

Deadly Visions
Ace magician turned ace police detective Joe Bailey, a.k.a. the Spirit Basher, needs all his expertise when he’s teamed up with psychic investigator Monica Gaines to crack a string of serial murders--each involving strange voices and stranger circumstances. Monica senses supernatural forces at work, but whoever--or whatever--is doing the killing, the victims are real. When eerie happenings hit closer to home--to Joe’s daughter, Nikki--and then Monica herself is the victim of a grisly, near-fatal attack, Joe is more determined than ever to unmask the truth behind the phenomena. As he searches for answers to inexplicable questions, he discovers that politics and the paranormal make deadly bedfellows, that his escape-artist skills still come in handy--and that even a psychic can know too much.

Iris Johansen

Quicksand
Returning from Johansen's New York Times bestselling thriller, Stalemate, forensic sculptor Eve Duncan is still reeling from the disappearance of her daughter, Bonnie. Deciding to take matters into her own hands, she enlists the clairvoyant skills of Dr. Megan Blair to help find her. No strangers to looking for clues where there seem to be none, the two women use their highly specialized talents to hunt down Bonnie's elusive kidnapper and return her to her mother's arms. But is Bonnie still alive? Will the two women find her in time? Iris Johansen strikes again with this non-stop, action packed thriller, keeping readers turning pages well into the night.

Pandora's Daughter
For as long as she can remember, successful young physician Megan Blair has tried to silence the voices in her head—voices that bring her to the edge of madness and terror. Megan possesses psychic powers that have been dormant for years, hidden deep in the past she's tried so desperately to forget. But now everything has come to a boiling point—someone is trying to kill her, and others are trying to use her, including the deadly and seductive Neal Grady. Shocking secrets about her life and her mother's death bombard her as she fights to take control of her heritage and save herself and everything she believes in. Grady holds the key to understanding her future, a future in which Megan's life will never be the same. If she survives to have a future.

Killer Dreams
If you close your eyes, he’ll get you. Sophie Dunston knows all too well how dreams can kill. As one of the nation’s top sleep therapists, she specializes in the life-threatening night terrors that her ten-year-old son, Michael, suffers from. But she is also an expert in another kind of terror–the kind that can turn a dream life into a living nightmare in the blink of an eye. Someone is watching. He’s a shadowy figure from out of her darkest fears and he hasn’t forgotten her. In one shocking moment of violence, he’d shattered Sophie’s world forever and left her with only one thing to live for: her son. But the nightmare isn’t over for Sophie Dunston. It’s just begun. He’s been waiting. Sophie was supposed to die the first time around, but fate intervened. This time he’ll make sure that not even a miracle will save her. It wasn’t a miracle that saved Jock Gavin, but it was pretty close. A semiretired hit man, commando, and jack-of-all-deadly-trades, he knows what Sophie is up against–and that she’ll need help. But the man he’s chosen for the job is as unpredictable as he is dangerous. Matt Royd is a wild card–hard, cool, merciless–and putting him into play changes the game completely. But to whose advantage? Sophie will soon find out. She will have to trust Royd because she has no choices left. Because the bogeyman haunting her dreams is all too real and he’s on the huntagain. Because the nightmare he’s got planned for Sophie won’t end when she wakes up screaming. It won’t end. Ever.

On the Run
For eight years, single mother Grace Archer has been living a picture-perfect life raising her daughter on a horse farm in the small town of Tallanville, Alabama. Watching Frankie grow into a talented and confident young girl has made Grace as happy as any mother could hope to be. Happy enough, even, to forget the past. But the past never quite goes away. Which is why a certain charismatic man also moved to Tallanville eight years ago to watch over her. But when violence threatens to shatter Grace and Frankie's idyllic home, the waiting is over. The ghosts of the past have returned. And they're hungry for blood. Now Grace must resume an identity she thought she had cast off forever, and match wits with an opponent as deadly as he is cunning. The prize: an extraordinary secret that only she can unfold. The forfeit: losing the thing more precious to her than life itself.

Countdown
“Don’t kill her. She’s no good to us dead.” These words haunt Jane MacGuire after a shocking attack shatters her world in an instant. Was it a random kidnapping attempt–or the countdown to something far more sinister? Who is after her–and what do they want so badly they’ll kill anyone in their way? That’s what Jane is determined to find out, without the help of the police, the FBI, or her adoptive parents, forensic sculptor Eve Duncan and her husband, Joe Quinn, of the Atlanta PD–because whoever is after her won’t hesitate to hurt those she loves the most. Now Jane will go on the run with the only man who may be more dangerous than those who are pursuing her. A smuggler, a con man, and who knew what else, Mark Trevor had his own mysterious reasons for wanting to keep Jane safe and out of the hands of a killer obsessed with a two-thousand-year-old mystery that could rock the modern-day world. Orphaned at an early age, Jane grew up the hard way, but she was given a new life, a loving family, and a chance to pursue her interest in one of the greatest archaeological finds ever unearthed. Now someone was trying to destroy that new life before it could even get started. The past is returning withthe kind of vengeance that knows no mercy. The countdown has already begun, and it’s approaching zero faster than anyone thinks.

Firestorm
For Kerry Murphy, the inferno is never far away. The flames of that long-ago night still burn in her nightmares: the heat, the choking smoke, the helplessness. She can never run fast enough... Now Kerry works as an arson investigator with her evidence-sniffing dog, Sam. Together they're a great team, but her life is about to change in the time it takes to strike a match. The deadly flames of her past are back, and from out of the ashes a stranger appears. Who is Silver? And why has he chosen her in the desparate race to find a killer determined to ignite hell on earth? Kerry and Silver may not have a chance against a psychopath as coldhearted as his method is red-hot. To save themselves and the innocent lives at stake, Kerry will have to do what she hoped she'd never have to do: fight fire with fire.

Fatal Tide
Melis Nemid is treading in dangerous waters—and she’s about to be dragged under. As a marine researcher, Melis knows all too well the dangers that can lurk under even the calmest surfaces. But not even she can guess how deep the darkness runs. Only one oceanographer ever came close to discovering the deadly mystery that lies beneath the sea—and he seems to have disappeared from the face of the earth. Now Melis is the last one who knows the truth. And someone is determined that the truth will die with her. For what Melis knows about the deep-sea mystery is only part of a nightmarish past torn by violence. She thought she had put that past behind her when she arrived at her Caribbean island home to research dolphin behavior. But her peace—and her life—is about to be shattered by the arrival of a savage killer. Someone—for reasons unknown even to Melis—is cutting a path of destruction and death that leads directly to her.Only one man can save her—a man who claims to be a fellow oceanographer. He will seek to gain Melis’s trust, getting close to her secret and her life. But what this enigmatic man really wants, Melis may not discover until it’s toolate. Because whoever is after her knows her nightmares intimately, and soon she will be forced to relive them all over again. Except for the final nightmare. The one she can’t possibly survive.

Dead Aim
She witnesses death through the eye of her camera. Now a relentless killer is focused on her. A celebrated photojournalist, Alex Graham has seen it all—but her latest assignment has forced her across a dangerous line. What happens when a reporter does more than just report? She has recorded some of the most tragic and heartbreaking of catastrophes, everything from natural disasters to infamous acts of terror. Her experiences have left her forever marked with the human side of tragedy. So when a dam breaks in Arapahoe Junction, Colorado, Alex is once more at the site doing more than just snapping pictures—she is in the mud with a shovel digging for survivors. What happens when the reporter becomes the story? Alex finds more than she bargained for. In one terrible instant, she is witness to a conspiracy that will stun a nation. The official story is just a cover-up for a truth so frightening, so unthinkable, anyone who threatens to reveal it must be silenced. Forever. And now that someone is Alex Graham. The first attempt on her life is swift and brutal. Only barely escaping, she finds an ally in an improbable source. Billionaire financier John Logan has his own reasons for protecting Alex, and these reasons alone are likely to gether killed. Using his vast connections and influences, Logan assigns a bodyguard to protect her. Judd Morgan is the best covert commando in the business, and if anyone can keep Alex safe, it’s this quietly dangerous man. The problem is, Alex doesn’t want to be kept safe by Judd, whose checkered past has made him the target of an unseen assassin who dogs his every step.

No One To Trust
He is the most terrifying of killers: ruthless, cunning, charismatic. And he has the means to get whatever he wants. And what Rico Chavez wants most is Elena Kyler—and he wants her dead. Trained as an assassin, Elena didn’t need anyone to survive. But now she finds herself on the run from one dangerous man and turning for help to another. Sean Galen was a man without illusions. He knew it was only desperation that caused Elena to accept his help—a mother’s desperation to save her young son from a psychopath father who would raise their son in his own chilling image. And yet he was determined to get this woman who had never been able to trust anyone or anything in her whole life to accept him as her ally. But both Galen and Elena know that Chavez’s power and wealth mean there is no place they can be safe and no one they can trust—not even each other. Already Chavez’s assassins and connections to those in the highest positions of power have turned this into a war with no rules. With two shocking acts of brutal violence, Chavez shows he will stop at nothing and that nothing will stop him. Soon a trail of horrifying murders will follow Galen and Elena across country to a last stand and a shattering showdown. For Chavez is a master of control and he wants more than just to take Elena’s life. He wants her alive long enough to see him destroy everyreason she has for living. He wants her to turn against everything and everyone she ever believed in. He wants her to commit the ultimate act of betrayal. And by the time he is through, he wants her to beg him to take the only thing she’ll have left to give: her life.

The Ugly Duckling
If fate suddenly made you more beautiful that you ever dreamed possible, would it be the beginning of a fairy tale, or your worst nightmare? The brutal attack should have killed anybody, but Nell Calder did more than survive. She emerged a woman transformed, with an exquisite beauty found only in fairy tales. Nell Calder deserved a happy ending. Instead, her descent into terror has just begun. Her attacker is still on the hunt, determined to finish what he's started. And Nell, protected by a new face, is just as determined to fight back and take her revenge. But to catch her prey, she will have to expose herself—even if it makes her a killer's prime target.

See all Iris Johansen and Roy Johansen titles and editions.

Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!

New User
jkharper
0 Kudos

Re: Iris and Roy Johansen: The Books

Iris,

I have enjoyed...and in fact have reread...nearly all of the "Eve Duncan" series. They are wonderful books with very rich characters The characters that remain with me always, and which have caused me to recommend particular books to many people I did not even know all that well are Sarah Patrick and Monty. Will they ever appear in another book?

J Harper
New User
Brenna66
0 Kudos

Dear Iris,
I love Quicksand but can you tell me when you will write the next one in the Eve series, or when it will be published I should say?  I can't wait to find out what happens next!  I love that you will hopefully be bringing Joe and Eve closer by having Joe talk to Bonnie also now.  Keep writing, love all your books!
Reader 2
marinajw
0 Kudos

I absolutely LOVE Iris Johansen I have Quicksand right now getting ready to read it. Her books are so very good my first was Ugly duckling and I was hooked for good, they have such outstanding characters and I have waited so long for Eve to have some resolution as you can tell I havent even cracked the cover of Quicksand yet(LOL) anyway I hope she keeps on doing whats she is doing and Im looking forward to Silent Thunder...Marina
Frequent Contributor
angelgirl
0 Kudos

I just love Iris Johansen books. I have read every one so far. I really like the Eve Duncan series best. I just got Quick Sand and can't wait to read it. Its too bad they can't write a book a month . or really a week. The books just  don't last very long, Hers are so good, I read them in a day or two. I usually keep my books that I really like and go back and reread them, some I have read 6 or7 times .
Author
Iris_Johansen
0 Kudos

Thanks for all of the nice comments and questions!  Eve Duncan will most definitely return, probably in fall '09.  I love Eve and the characters in her world, but I never want to write a story for her unless it feels special and "right." 

As for Sarah and Monty, I've also missed them!  It's been years since they've appeared in one of my books, but that's about to change.  You may want to check out 'Dark Summer," which will be out October 21st!

--Iris

Learn more about Silent Thunder.

Discover all Iris Johansen titles.

New User
ney_fer
0 Kudos

Hi  Iris

I have read almost all the your books..Love them... Love the Eve duncan series but my favorites are 'And then you Die' and 'No one to trust'. I love the characters  Galen and Elena and was wondering if you ever thought of doing another book with them in it again?

Thanks
 Ney
Author
Iris_Johansen
0 Kudos

Ney, there's a very good chance Galen and Elena will return!  But it won't be this year or next, I'm afraid.  I do have an idea in mind for them, so it may happen in the not-too-distant future.  They're big favorites of mine, and I'm glad to hear your interest in them!

--Iris

Discover all Iris Johansen titles.

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Iris and Roy,

I wonder if you might share a little about the next book you're collaborating on - I know you won't want to give anything away, but what about a teaser?  :smileyhappy:  
Stephanie
Author
Roy_Johansen
0 Kudos

Ah, the next book...  We're halfway through it now, and our editor has described it as a combination of "Indiana Jones" and "Hackers," with two brilliant main characters using cutting-edge technology to unravel a four thousand year-old mystery.  Of course, there's plenty of action and danger, plus a pair of truly despicable villains standing in their way.  We're both very pleased with how the book is progressing!

--Roy Johansen 

Discover all Roy Johansen titles.