Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Melcryer
0 Kudos

Juggling it all

[ Edited ]

(((WARDen)))

Morning!  (Me likey this format, btw - I don't feel like I have to compete for attention like in a chat!  :smileyvery-happy: )

You've written about your process.  I'm wondering - with full-length BDB books and now the Angels - how to you balance the writing time for each project?  Do you just put your head down and drive on to get one book finished, before you can even consider another?  Or can you work simultaneously on different projects?

With all us greedy fans wanting novellas and slices of life, PLUS the books, I just wonder how you handle all the stuff you'd like to write, with how you know your process works best for you.

Thanks so much!  Muahh!!!

Contributor
clong
0 Kudos

Re: J.R. Ward, October 19-23

Clong *waving*  Hey Warden its another day so I have another question:

1) Do you see John, Qhuinn and Blay still living at the Brotherhood mansion in the future or will they ever go their own way?

2).  Does everyone outside of the Brotherhood and Rehv's family think he is dead still.

Thanks Warden, see you tonight at the Chat!!!

Contributor
RReichert
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I just thought I'd share a couple of my favorite BDB scenes.  I love the scene where Wrath is bangin' Beth on the study floor after he loses his sight.  When the drapes brush over his head, and he snaps and growls at them-that was hysterical!!  I also loved the scene where Vishous hesitantly tells Wrath that he "fed" Butch his blood.  Wrath's reaction was priceless...(or some sh*t)  heh heh.  I really do have a thing for V...  When Jane was giving him the sponge bath, and she pulled down the sheets- I thought i was gonna lose it when V says "No Big Deal..."

These guys are just too much.  I am constantly on the verge of cracking up.  They are totally hilarious!

Rebecca

New User
NikkiQuin
0 Kudos

Hi WARDen,

Do you think you will ever release a hardcover of each of the BDB books? I LOVE the cover of Lover Avenged--SO HOT. I woulnd't mind having an entire collection of similar covers on my shelf :smileyhappy: Will Lover Mine have a cover like the last one? Can't wait to read it!

New User
bdbfan1
0 Kudos

Hello Warden!! I recently met you at the book signing for Covet in Radcliff. I really wanted to ask this question,but my friends would have flogged me all the way home. The ever so hot Rehvenge has a barb. I have read and reread how this works, I was just wondering is all symphath men have this barb or if is just Rehv. I was told that cats have the same type of barb, does it work the same way?

I hope you go back to Radcliff for the LM book! That little bookstore is stocked on paranormal everything! I love your writing, the BDB is a world, I would live in with pleasure!  Are there any places that make/sale BDB clothing?? I would love a "we still ain't dating" T-shirt! Thank you for your AMAZING books!!

Author
JR-Ward
0 Kudos

Bean3000 wrote:

Hey JRW

Bean from the Cell here.  I loved Covet.  Am totally, hopelessly, relentlessy devoted to Eddie and Dog. 

BUT -- A BDB question...

Saxton.  What's up with him?  Should I get attached? 

Thanks.  :smileyvery-happy:

Hey Bean!  Am so glad you're an Eddie and Dog fan (me  too!)

Hmmm get attached?  Well... I find him pretty attachable :smileywink:

Author
JR-Ward
0 Kudos

tekla wrote:

I can't resist the temptation, I've to ask again! >__<

I was wondering, will Blay ever fall in love with someone else but Qhuinn? You said he was done with the females, does that mean we won't read Blay involved with a female in the future, either? :smileywink:

I wonder if you can really answer any of this... LMAO. Sorry. lol.

Hey Tekla!  Hmmm welll... leme think.  KEEEEEEEEEEEEp READDDDDDDDDDDDDING!!  I think that's the safest answer!

Author
JR-Ward
0 Kudos

kazzy wrote:

hi again,

do we get to see more of  the lady's of the brotherhood in JM'S book as they boy's get all the glory but as us women know they all have strong women behind them and it would be nice to see more of what they  do with here time and also what does beth think of her little brother's love interest.

THANK YOU

kaz

Hi!  The shellans are always part of the books!  And I believe Beth likes and approves of Xhex- once she gets to know her :smileyvery-happy:

Author
JR-Ward
0 Kudos

nydiaf wrote:

Good Afternoon! :smileywink:

Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed Covet and look forward to learning more about the relationship between each Fallen Angel and the role that Dog will play.   I have a feeling that Jim is going to consistently need that scruffy little guy! LOL.

Additionally, I am wondering if Beth is going to be asking Wrath why he is visiting the other side since he comes back to the Mansion all spent after fighting with Payne.  I mean,  I kind of questioned at the end of Lover Avenged (Rehvenge is awesome, btw) how come Beth didn't ask what was going on?  Or that Wrath didn't mention it to her.  Especially considering how upset she had gotten when he was out in the field fighting for over a month without telling her.  She has to be wondering...no?

And btw, I have all the patience in the world for Lover Mine because I know it's going to be soo well worth the wait!  Each of your creations are captivating and a lot of fun. 

Thanks so much! 

~ N

Hi!  I'm so glad you liked COVET!  And Beth absolutely knows that he goes over to spar with a member of the Chosen, but she like Wrath, doesn't know "who" the Chosen is if you know what I mean...

That comes at the end of LOVER MINE *wince*

Author
JR-Ward
0 Kudos

Jonnet wrote:

Hi ya...Ms. Ward.

Question: How do you keep the plots all in order?? With all of your writing of the Brothers and Angels I would think you would something more than just coffee to drink!!! hehehe jk.  What's the deal with Lassiter? Fallen Angel right? 

I forgot to thank you for a signed copy that I got in the mail with Rehv's book. I cried so hard with joy. IT was GREAT. I'm counting until John's book.

IS there going to be a black dagger sisterhood?? maybe a branch with Payne or Xhex?? More one question...is there going to be a love inters for Jim?? I know he is dead but it's just sad that all he has to love him is his mother....:smileysad:

*smiles so wide I look like the joker* Luv the brother's please find more to write! I don't care if it is about them going leather shopping...anything! hehehe

Jonnet *hugs* 

Hi!  Well, it's pretty clear to me.  The books are the books, you know?  They just exist in my head and I don't get the confused (not yet anyway!) because it's like two different movies on seperate screens and I switch between them.  Lassiter is a fallen angel but I don't think he has anything to do with Jim and his boys- at least he hasn't as of now.

And there will be no branches of the Brotherhood- BUT there will be some female Brothers!  :smileywink:

Author
JR-Ward
0 Kudos

1lovealways wrote:

Hi J.R!:smileyvery-happy:

How wonderful to talk with you and let you know how much I, as one of your fans appreciate the great books you've given us!  Simply fabulous reads from a great author!  What a creative and great imagination you have.  Thanks so very much!

I haven't read Covet yet, but have it in my TBR pile.  Also, I haven't read Lover Avenged as I've had to wait for it to come out in paper.  Hardcovers are so expensive!  I'll have these two books to savor until John's story comes out.  BTW do you have anything coming out before John Matthew's story?

My questions are about the BDB.  Is Lassister the Fallen Angel in Lover Enshrined, going to get his own book or is he going to be in a crossover book?

Will there be any more kids for the Brotherhood and their shellans?

Are the SV and the Omega brother and sister (I thought they were)? 

I know Payne will get her own book.  Any idea who her HEA will be?  (I hope it's not Tohr)

Will Tohr get his own book? (Hope so)!  I think it would be great to give Tohr a human as his HEA, since he seemed so upset with Rhage bringing Mary, a human to the compound?

Will Butch's dad ever be revealed?  If so, is he still living? 

Have you saw the unofficial Black Dagger Brotherhood Poster?  I saw it on Fanart.  Really nice with actors made up in the roles of the characters.  The only one I couldn't figure out was Brad Pitt as Phury and Channing Tatum as Zsadist.  Aren't Zsadist and Phury identical twins?  If so, that can't be.

Once, again thanks so much for the great series!  I look forward to many more great books.  Please don't ever end the Black Dagger Brotherhood!  I love it!!! :smileyhappy:

Hi! I hope you like Rehv's story and COVET!  And thank you for being so kind!

Payne does not end up with Tohr, there are children coming, the SV and the Omega are "brother and sister" and we'll just have to see about Butch's dad :smileywink:  Tohr definitely gets his own book though!  Just not sure of the order yet!

Author
JR-Ward
0 Kudos

Moonsanity wrote:

Hey J.R.:womanvery-happy:   

Since everyone is pumping you for info. on the brothers and angels I thought I'd ask something I've been wondering for awhile.   I love the dialog in your books, especially the slang.  How did you go about writing that?  Were you up on the whole urban slang thing to begin with or did you have to work at it? 

Hi!  *waves*  The urban slang thing comes from the music I listen to (rap and hip hop) and the pop culture I see on TV and movies- urban vernacular rocks IMO!  It's just so visceral- and it certainly fits the Brothers!

Author
JR-Ward
0 Kudos

1lovealways wrote:

Oh, J.R.  I forgot one of my questions!  Will Doc Jane ever be more substance other than ghostly?  The SV's father could help her.  Have you thought about that scenario?  Please think about it!  Thanks! :smileyvery-happy:

She's a ghost but she can take solid form- and she's better at it now that she's used to her new "body!"  You're going to see a lot of her in LOVER MINE :smileyvery-happy:

Author
JR-Ward
0 Kudos

HairGoddess wrote:

Hello WARDen! Just wanted to let you know that I really loved Covet! I loved the set up and how it kept me guessing how the story was going to play out. The Gents-good guys or bad? Okay -good- check! Devina- good or bad? Okay- super bad-check! Ad and Eddie-on the side of good or not? Okay-on the side of good-check! It was AWESOME. *and* being such a fangrrl, I really loved the cross over elements...I geeked out everytime! So, now, my writer of all things sultry yummy and steamy...my question:

I know writing wasn't your first career. How did you transistion from one to another? Did you always know you would write? How did you know it was time to quit the day job?

And finally, what is the hardest thing about being a proffessional writer that you didn't realize before you started actually *doing it*?

Thanks, Your cellie, HairGoddess!

Hey girl!  And thankies for all the kindness!

As for the changing careers- I did the two together for about five years.  This was before I got published, when I got my first agent, and when I got my first two contracts.  And then I just transitioned over to full time author-hood.  I always wrote, it was something I did since... jeez, since I can remember.  As for the timing?  It just kind of happened, to be honest?  I  just kind of took the leap- I had some savings so the financial cushion was there and I just kind of now-or-never'd it.  I kept up my professional statuses, however, just in case it didn't work out.

Hardest thing about professional writing?  Hmm... *winces*  well the truth is the hardest thing about the writing has always just been the writing- making sure it is good enough.  And that was true before I was published and it's even more true now that I am.  I'm driven by nature, a perfectionist, a pain in the a$$ and neurotic- but that was the way I came so none of those struggles were a surprise or anything different than what was doing before I took the leap :smileyvery-happy:

Author
JR-Ward
0 Kudos

Shanda33 wrote:

Hey, I am a HUGE fan! Are you coming to Jacksonville Florida anytime? I would probably pass out if I ever saw you, yet I would love to get your autograph! Your books are amazing! Thank you for taking me out of my daily routine and into world of vampires, lessers, angels, demons and hot romance! I love Zsadist! I can't wait for Lover Mine! When will the second book of the fallen angel series be out? Loved the Covet! Anyway, I guess I made to much of a fool of myself so I will go now. LOVE YOUR WORK!!!!:smileyhappy:

Aww!  You no made a fool out of yourself!  And thank you! I would love to come to Florida sometime!

Author
JR-Ward
0 Kudos

maddyme wrote:

Hi Warden!

Just wanted to let you know that I love your writing. Your characters are so human, real and imperfect in their own way. A majority of authors make their leads this physically perfect beings with maybe some emotional baggage. But you write about real people with such depth. I still remember the first book of yours I read - was Z - I was simply blown away.

Onto Covet - loved it. My question is - how did Adrian restrain Devina? And what is the backstory to their encounter? Will we get to know more about that in Crave?

By the way, I abso love Dog. I hope we see him in the future books.

BDB - You mentioned that the BDB books are open ended. Does it mean that we will have new brothers introduced? Or, are we looking at stories about the current secondary characters like Trez, iAm?

With respect to Tohr, have we met the person he will end up with? Any clue in that regard? I just love this male. He has been through so much, my heart just breaks for him. Next to Z and Rehv, he has really been dealt a horrible hand by fate.

Finally, who do you read? I know, for me, its you. I pretty much love everything you write (obsessively actually). Which author stands out to you?

Aww thankies!!  You are so kind- and that's the way I see the Brothers- flawed but still very worthy of love!

The Brothers are open ended as a series so you will defo be meeting more of them!  And Adrian and Devina have a loooooooooooong history you will see more about as the Angels series keeps unfolding!  Dog will always be in the books!

You have seen the person Tohr ends u with- and I agree with you, he breaks my heart too :smileysad:

I don't read very much anymore- I don't have the time.  But the great Suzanne Brockmann is a must read and so is Jessica Andersen and Lisa Gardner!

New User
EMariotti
0 Kudos

Shanda33 wrote:

Hey, I am a HUGE fan! Are you coming to Jacksonville Florida anytime? I would probably pass out if I ever saw you, yet I would love to get your autograph! Your books are amazing! Thank you for taking me out of my daily routine and into world of vampires, lessers, angels, demons and hot romance! I love Zsadist! I can't wait for Lover Mine! When will the second book of the fallen angel series be out? Loved the Covet! Anyway, I guess I made to much of a fool of myself so I will go now. LOVE YOUR WORK!!!!:smileyhappy:

i sure hope she goes to Jacksonville! i'm in St Augustine and i would glady make the trip to get books signed!

BTW. Loved Covet! and patiently waiting for LM! with 3 kids and 2 in school and the youngest being only 7 months i finally have time to read uninterupted! i'm on my 1st reread of Covet and just now noticed that one of our fav boys showed up in church wearing a  sox hat! gotta love Cop. and I almost fainted when i seen Phury make an apperance! Keep up the good writing Warden! i Love your books. My friend loaned me Dark Lover and after that i had to get all the books and i even got my gradmother to read them!

Elissa

P.S i hope to be at the chat tonight! Just have to get the kids in bed on time!

New User
Linny_p
0 Kudos

Hi WARDen,

Zsadist is my all time favourite hero - top of the list (and I have many!). And of course that would make Lover Awakened my all time favourite novel.  And what you've being doing with JM and Xhex has been fabulous.  Your books are amazing and for me, just pulses with the energy of the brothers...Love and adore the world and personalities you have brought to life so I hope you keep writing for a long long time for the BDB series.

I also love how you revisit your characters, and your short stories with Zsadist/Bella & Wrath/Beth were amazing (emotional and steamy!!!).  I would kill for more revisits via short stories, novellas and sometimes I wonder why Authors don't do it more often. 

Which brings me to my first question, I was wondering if you plan to write additional stories on the brothers (I'll take ANY format you care to produce!).  Also, I know I would pay good money to get a new release that contains stories about each of the BDB couples...is this even a possibility?  I just can't get enough of Zsadist and I adored Wrath and Vishous. 

Finally, I hope you will be posting more snippets of Lover Mine to keep us sane while we wait... 

Anyway, love love love your writing.

Cheers,

Linny

New User
maddyme
0 Kudos

Warden, thanks so much for responding :smileyhappy:.

I know you don't do planes, but how about a cross-country trip to SF? I would love to drive you back and forth :smileyvery-happy:. You know, spend some time talking about the brothers.. What do ya think?

Author
JR-Ward
0 Kudos

Linnnniee wrote:

**Waven at the WardEN!! I have to say that I LOVED Covet. I am a diehad Cellie.

My question for you is since there will be 7 books one for each sin. I am wonderng 

Jim cant win all the battles. Because with the battle is who ever gets to 4 wins... Right???

So Evil has to win a few.. ???  YES?? 

I soo love that Jim got a dog that has way more going on than just being a dog.

I cant wait for Lover Mine and for Crave.

It was a pleasure to meet you again at RWA in DC. I hope you liked the Mo's bacon bar, FN mints and

Book-thong we gave you.  And thanks again for being such a sweetie.

Hi!  *waves!*  Am so glad you liked COVET!  As for Jim and the sins I'm not sure what's going to happen there- but I have an idea... you'll have to see!

It was lovely meeting you in D.C.!