Blogger
LisaSteinke
0 Kudos

Re: Jennifer Weiner, July 20-24

Also, Do you listen to music when you write?  I can't produce one page unless my iPod is blasting.

Lisa

www.chicklitisnotdead.com
New User
msdramatic
0 Kudos

Thanks! My sister and I share your books. It is a tradition for one to send it to the other. Just recently she got married and while we were sitting around talking about old times with the family, she mentioned how she freaked my dad out one day. Good in Bed was sitting on my bed (the original cover with the long legs) and my dad came upon it. "Who's is this?" He asked my sister "It's Darla's. It's an instructional book." Hehehe. I think that is my sister's favorite story of all time.
Inspired Correspondent
Bethanne
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Jennifer-Weiner wrote:
I do swim regularly -- at least twice a week. Right now I'm training for a sprint triathlon (or at least I was training, until this whole book tour kicked in), so I'm doing most of my swimming in open water, which I especially love.
I can't even imagine training for a "sprint triathlon;" I've only ever trained for a 10K run, and that was eons ago...so here's my next question. Do you have any plans to write about this training? Also: How does pushing yourself physically compare to pushing yourself mentally (i.e., writing)? 

Message Edited by Bethanne on 07-21-2009 06:14 PM

Check out this week's Center Stage discussion!

See all upcoming discussions!

0 Kudos

msdramatic wrote:
Thanks! My sister and I share your books. It is a tradition for one to send it to the other. Just recently she got married and while we were sitting around talking about old times with the family, she mentioned how she freaked my dad out one day. Good in Bed was sitting on my bed (the original cover with the long legs) and my dad came upon it. "Who's is this?" He asked my sister "It's Darla's. It's an instructional book." Hehehe. I think that is my sister's favorite story of all time.
HAHA. Jen, no doubt you've heard a version of that story before, but it's still funny -- especially when you consider the bunny slippers on the hardcover jacket! 

0 Kudos

Hi!  Liz again with ANOTHER question...

What are your thoughts on the transition from novel to screenplay?  Were you happy with how IN HER SHOES turned out?  Was that a fun experience?

Liz

Author
Jennifer-Weiner
0 Kudos

I think most novelists will tell you that there's never as much freedom as when you're writing the first book. There's no guarantee that anyone will ever read it, but there's also no pressure -- no agent, no editor, no readers of previous books to worry about disappointing.

And with GOOD IN BED, the name of the game was catharsis. I was writing specifically to make myself feel better. And it worked! Especially when I named the bad boyfriend Bruce Guberman. I think that was the first time I'd smiled in six months, just walking around my apartment muttering "Guberman!"

hee. 

Author
Jennifer-Weiner
0 Kudos

When IN HER SHOES was optioned, I'd just had a baby, so I made a conscious decision that I'd told the story I wanted to tell on the page, and I was going to let the filmmakers tell the story they wanted to tell on the screen. It turned out to be a very good decision -- it let me focus on being a mother, and working on my next book -- and, luckily, I was VERY pleased with how the movie turned out. I think there were great people involved at every step of the way -- great producers, an incredible screenwriter, an amazing director -- and they made good choices.

Author
Jennifer-Weiner
0 Kudos

I tell people all the time that the best day of a writer's life is supposed to be when you go home nad tell Mom that your book is being published. That is less true when you have to go home and tell Mom that your book is being published, and it's called...GOOD IN BED. She kept saying, "Good and BAD?" and I kept saying, "Um, no."
Inspired Correspondent
Bethanne
0 Kudos

I was thinking about MsDramatic sharing your book with her sister; right now, my teenaged daughter reads and loves your books, but my younger daughter (11) is too young for them. Will you ever consider writing YA fiction?

0 Kudos

I would like to write about the whole sprint triathlon experience, except I think my writing would pretty much amount to "Ow ow OW OW OW," and also, there's a book called SLOW FAT TRIATHLETE that pretty much encapsulates my experience with the sport.

The good thing about the sprint distance is that by the time you get bored -- or injured -- doing one thing, it's time to do something else. 

Author
Jennifer-Weiner
0 Kudos

I do think about YA fiction, but there's so much fabulous stuff out there that I'm not sure I'd want to wade in and step on other authors' toes. One thing I won't be doing is writing little-childrens' books. Jamie Lee Curtis could cut a bitch, and that bitch will not be me!
Contributor
LizFenton
0 Kudos

Jennifer,

As a fellow pottymouth, my writing partner and I had to go through and de-F word our manuscript.  We still left some in, but we would literally have conversations about whether this was and F word or S word situation.  Do you go back and de-F your books too so they play to a more general audience?

Liz

Inspired Correspondent
Bethanne
0 Kudos

I can't say that I blame you for not wanting to write "OW!" hundreds of times, but I will say that I loved your descriptions of Addie's growth as a swimmer. 

I was also fascinated by her miniatures work; I kept wishing I could go "see" one of her detailed little paintings. 

0 Kudos

If you could choose one other book to be made into a film, which would you choose?

Any thoughts?

Author
Jennifer-Weiner
0 Kudos

I tend to write in coffee shops -- my sad attempt to replicate the atmosphere of a newsroom -- so I'll listen to whatever they've got on. It's more of background noise than iPod blasting for me...but I can't work out without music. At all.
New User
msdramatic
0 Kudos

Bethanne wrote:
I was thinking about MsDramatic sharing your book with her sister; right now, my teenaged daughter reads and loves your books, but my younger daughter (11) is too young for them. Will you ever consider writing YA fiction?

Or maybe Certain Girls was more autobiographical than you would like to admit and you are already writing YA fiction under an alias. :smileyhappy: Hehehehe. 

Inspired Correspondent
Bethanne
0 Kudos

Hi KristenClaire! Glad you're here, and great question for Jennifer Weiner. 

Bethanne 

0 Kudos

It's weird, but I think I'm more potty-mouthed in person -- or on stage -- than I am in my books. There will be occasional effbomb, but most of them feel organic to the character, and true to the way she'd speak.  So I haven't tried to clean them up too much. Maybe I should?
Contributor
LizFenton
0 Kudos

No!  Don't clean it up.  Make it dirtier!!!

Even after we cleaned ours up, I still felt nervous when my MIL was reading it. She had no idea what kind of pottymouth she was dealing with!

Inspired Correspondent
Bethanne
0 Kudos

Jennifer-Weiner wrote:
I tend to write in coffee shops -- my sad attempt to replicate the atmosphere of a newsroom -- so I'll listen to whatever they've got on. It's more of background noise than iPod blasting for me...but I can't work out without music. At all.
Jen, I'd be very interested to hear what you think is going to happen to newspapers -- and to news in general...