Inspired Correspondent
Bethanne
0 Kudos

Jo Beverley, October 26-30

[ Edited ]

Please join us in welcoming Jo Beverley to Center Stage!

Jo Beverley is one the few authors writing English-set historical romance who is English. She was born and raised in England, and has a degree in English history from Keele University in Staffordshire. She and her husband emigrated to Canada, where they now live. They have two sons.

Though Jo started to write as a young child, it was only in the eighties that she began to think that it was something ordinary people could do, and after a talk at a local library, she settled to seriously writing her first historical romance.

Now, she is the author of over thirty romance novels and many novellas -- see Jo Beverley's booklist which have brought her many awards, including five RITA awards from the Romance Writers of America and awards from Romantic Times including two Career Achievement awards. She is a member of the RWA Honor Roll, and the RWA Hall of Fame.

Check out this week's Center Stage discussion!

See all upcoming discussions!

0 Kudos

Re: Jo Beverley, October 26-30

Hi everyone,

I'm looking forward to taking part in the conversation here.

There may be some lags in my responses, because I'm currently living in Whitby, North Yorkshire, 5 hours ahead of EST! Dracula was written in Whitby, and the coming weekend is Goth weekend here. Goths come from all over England, in costume. Special events at the ruined abbey. Fun, even though I don't write gothic!

I'll try to take pictures and link to them over the week, and look forward to talking about Lord Wraybourne's Bethrothed, the appeal of the classic Regency, and historicals in general.

All the best,

Jo

New User
cassiem4
0 Kudos

Re: Joe Beverley, October 26-30

[ Edited ]

Hello Jo Beverly,  How are you today?  Is it very cold where you are, I am on the central Gulf Coast of Florida so English weather interests me as it is quite different from my norm.  We haven't cooled off very much yet, we are experiencing our second 'cold' front of the season=it may have dipped below 70 degrees this am, not very cold to non-natives.  I really enjoy as much detail/information R/T all aspects of your stories.  I'm excited thinking of real pictures of locations that I have read about.  I recall reading of Whitby more than once,  too bad my memory didn't retain which titles.  I just referred to my AAA map of the UK and was pleased to find I was correct on general location.  I'm excited about the re-release of Lord Wraybourne's Betrothed as I have been watching for it for some time.  I've wondered about character names: do they come from imagination only, or are there historical connections, such as old records?  I also have questions R/T titles:  Is there any "truth" in those.  I mean when you say they are the Earl of ,,,,,? or Baron....? Viscount of....?  are they all fictitious?   I ask as an ignorant American.  It's my understanding that certain lands, estates, properties go with certain titles, so  how are they connected?  Is there a duke/marquis/earl/viscount/baron, etc. per county/province/shire or are they just totally randomly assigned?  And last?  Is the title or the lands "granted" or assigned first?   OOps, one more, how is it that many of the "higher" title-holders often seem to hold multiple titles?  I'm certain there are more curiosities, but I will save them for another time.  I have learned so much history since I became a reader of romances.  I believe Agatha Christie sparked my interest in the UK landscape as well as those country houses many years ago ( I know she wrote mysteries not romance).  Thank you so much for all the entertainment and education that I have enjoyed from reading your books.  An avid fan,      Cassie McCrimmon

New User
cassiem4
0 Kudos

Hello Beverly,  How are you today?  Is it very cold where you are, I am on the central Gulf Coast of Florida so English weather interests me as it is quite different from my norm.  We haven't cooled off very much yet, we are experiencing our 2nd 'cold' front of the season=it may have dipped below 70 degrees this am, not very cold to non-natives.  I really enjoy as much detail/information R/T all aspects of your stories.  I'm excited thinking of real pictures of locations that I have read about.  I recall reading of Whitby more than once,  too bad my memory didn't retain which titles.  I just referred to my AAA map of the UK and was pleased to find I was correct on general location.  I'm excited about the re-release of Lord Wraybourne's Betrothed as I have been watching for it for some time.  I've wondered about character names: do they come from imagination only, or are there historical connections, such as old records?  I also have questions R/T titles:  Is there any "truth" in those.  I mean when you say they are the Earl of ,,,,,? or Baron....? Viscount of....? is it all fiction?   I ask as an ignorant American.  It's my understanding that certain lands, estates, properties go with certain titles, so  how are they connected?  Is there a duke/marquis/earl/viscount/baron, etc. per county/province/shire or are they just totally randomly assigned?  And last?  Is the title or the lands "granted" or assigned first?   OOps, one more, how is it that many of the "higher" title-holders often seem to hold multiple titles?  I'm certain there are more curiosities, but I will save them for another time.  I have learned so much history since I became a reader of romances.  I believe Agatha Christie sparked my interest in the UK landscape as well as those country houses many years ago.  Thank you so much for all the entertainment and education that I have enjoyed from reading your books.  Cassie

Author
Jo-Beverley
0 Kudos

Lot's of questions, Cassie. Thanks! I'm delighted that you're enjoying my books.

It's not really cold here in Whitby today, but there's a brisk wind, which is often the case. Had a nice walk down into the town to do a bit of shopping. Bread from a lovely bakery there -- Bothams. I do love an English bakery!

"I'm excited thinking of real pictures of locations that I have read about."

We'll be taking pictures and making a photo blog of my book tour.

I took loads of pictures of our journey to England from Victoria BC, and lots more of places we've visited. I haven't had time to upload them to the web yet!

"I'm excited about the re-release of Lord Wraybourne's Betrothed as I have been watching for it for some time."

Me, too. It was my very first book, so it has a special place in my heart. And such a lovely cover. Whoa, that came out a bit big! LOL!

Cover of Lord Wraybourne's Betrothed.

"I've wondered about character names: do they come from imagination only, or are there historical connections, such as old records?"

I try to avoid using a real name unless I'm writing about a real person. Same with titles. It wouldn't seem right to create a Duke of Devonshire, for example, when there was a real one!

The matter of land associated with titles is quite complicated. For example, earls were once earls of counties like Lancashire, Kent, Somerset etc. Earl comes from eorl, the old England name for that, but in the crazy way of thing in England, his wife is a countess from "county" which comes from the French!

I have an article about titles here.

"OOps, one more, how is it that many of the "higher" title-holders often seem to hold multiple titles? "

When someone is raised to a new level of title, he doesn't lose the old one, it just becomes his second-best. *G* With some titles, it becomes the courtesy title of his heir.

Thank you so much for all the entertainment and education that I have enjoyed from reading your books.  An avid fan,

Thank you!

Jo :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
Hotpen
0 Kudos

Can you tell us a little bit about your writing process? Do you write every day? How many words, etc.? What inspires you?

Thanks!

Author
Jo-Beverley
0 Kudos

Hi Hotpen,

I usually write every weekday morning. Sometimes more, but that's my basic routine. I need to start more or less first thing because that's my best creative time. If I'm editing or going over copy edits I can do it at other time, but morning is my best time for new words.

I don't do word or page counts, however. It works for others, but it's pointless for me. I can produce words without trouble, but are they the right word, the right scenes? I often write scenes and realize later that they aren't what's really going on and/or are taking the book in the wrong direction. I find if I put in the time working on the book in the end it is complete. Words per day has nothing to do with it. For me. We all have to find the process that works for us.

As for inspiration -- that's the mystery, isn't it?

For example, Lord Wraybourne's Betrothed was initially inspired because I was tired of Regencies that started with peculiar meets -- heroines climbing out of windows or running away in boy's clothing to avoid an unwanted suitor, or forced marriages because a couple were caught together in a room, even if they hadn't been doing anything! So I wanted to start with a conventionally arranced betrothal agreed to by both parties and see what happened.

Not that I haven't done a bunch of peculiar meets since!

Best,

Jo

New User
ChrisSnyder
0 Kudos

Hello Jo Beverley,

Can you touch on your sci-fi books? Will u write another or is it strictly romance for u now?

Chrissy

Author
Jo-Beverley
0 Kudos

Hi Chrissy,

My SF&F is a short story way back when, and then some novellas. The Trouble With Heroes... in Irresistible Forces, The Dragon and the Virgin Princess in Dragon Lovers, and the upcoming Raven and the Rose in Chalice of Roses, a grail anthology.

There's more here. Except I see I haven't added Chalice of Roses there! On the to-do list.

I really like going over to the speculative side so I'm sure I will do more, yes. In fact, I will also have a story in an SF Rom collection called Star Crossed Lovers, out next year.

Best,

Jo

New User
Laura10
0 Kudos

Hi, Jo!

How great to "see" you in another forum.

Are you loving being back home in England?

I'm waiting with bated breath for Lord Wraybourne's Betrothed!

You give your characters such marvelous voices. How do you come up with - and convey - so many different characters and their voices?

All the best,

Laura

New User
jeannejoe
0 Kudos

Hi Jo -

i really don't have a question.  I just wanted to say how much I love your books.  I do like the reprints of your older books.  As you know, those who love your books "collect" them.  I always like to have a backup.  LOL.  The My Lady Notorious tour sounds wonderful - wish I could take part!!  Keep writing as I can't wait for the next book!

Jeanne :manhappy:

Author
Jo-Beverley
0 Kudos

Hi Laura,

I really don't know how I do voices etc. I do see and hear a video as I write, so perhaps that helps? Also, I'm English, so I have an ear for many of the different forms of speech here, and research gives a feel for the past.

I don't have my characters speak exactly as they would in the past, however. I try for time-neutral.

What do you think about speech patterns in historicals?

Jo

Author
Jo-Beverley
0 Kudos

Thanks, Jeanne. I'm delighted you're enjoying the books.

Jo :smileyhappy:

Author
Jo-Beverley
0 Kudos

I've just put some pictures up on line of Whitby, where I now live.

Check them out.

http://photosjo.shutterfly.com/

It's Goth weekend this weekend, so I'll doubtless have other pics to share soon. Shame I don't write Gothics!

Jo

New User
beckkwith49
0 Kudos

HI Jo:

Glad to see you here.  I usually do not post much - I would rather read!  LOL  But I do need to reiterate how much I love your books.  Now if you only could write faster!   LOL  I am glad to see that your older books are being republished but of course I do have them all already and am anxiouxly waiting a new one

:womanvery-happy:!

I do wish I could go on "tour" with you but will have to settle for the pictures I hope will join the ones on Whiby. I would also like to see pictures of Yorkshire.  I have not yet proved it but i believe some of my ancestors came from there.  Some of my Dad's ancestors were from Durham - South Shields area.  

Keep writing PLEASE!  :womanwink:

all the best

Jackie

New User
cassiem4
0 Kudos

Hello Jo, I wanted to let you know that I did receive and much appreciated your response to my many questions earlier in the week.  I enjoyed looking at the pictures of Whitby.  The difference in the shoreline is interesting to see.  So very different to my local beach on the Gulf of Mexico.  We are so flat; you park your car in the lot walk a very short distance and you're on the white sand,  a bit further with barely even a downward slope and you have reached the Gulf.  We don't have a very wide beach of hard packed sand, like Daytona, but we do have fine white sand.  I believe it's among the prettiest in the world.  The water is usually turquoise unless it's stormy.  We don't have big waves either, unless a hurricane is approaching.  Thanks for sharing your info and pictures,           Cassie

New User
Oregonbookworm
0 Kudos

"Not that I haven't done a bunch of peculiar meets since!"

My favorite of you "peculiar meets" is that of Portia and Bryght.  I hadn't read My Lady Notorious yet and this was my introduction to the Mallorans.

It was a great way to meet them and you set their personalities so well right away.

Thanks for all the many great reading hours you have given us all.  I have all your stories except the Samhain one.  Any idea if that will be republished?

New User
Oregonbookworm
0 Kudos

"What do you think about speech patterns in historicals?"

I enjoy reading a story where the different dialects are successfully written out.  It adds to the flavor of the story.  It helps that I have watched Masterpiece Theatre since I was little and can easily "translate" the english words in the dialects, so when I read-hear them in the book it brings back those accents to my ear.

I would imagine that someone who is not familiar with the different sounds might have a problem with it.

I will say that if an author (not you Jo) can't get the sound right in their writing they shouldn't put it in in the first place.  It then just distracts from the story.

New User
Oregonbookworm
0 Kudos

"I don't have my characters speak exactly as they would in the past, however. I try for time-neutral."

I appreciate the fact that you know what "time-neutral" is.  So many of the new authors I try out for one book only fill their period novels with current slang.

I actually think neither they nor their copy editors know or appreciate how jarring that is for a readers ears.

I realize that "way better" is replacing "much better" in many areas of english but it really jars when you hear that supposedly coming from the mouth of an "educated" young lady in the early 1800's.

That author is then crossed off my list for follow up purchases.

New User
Laura10
0 Kudos

Hi, Jo!

Thank you so much for your comments. It makes sense that it would help in conveying accents and speech patterns to have broad exposure to many accents.

I like books - as yours - that convey a sense of another time with the lovely lilt of a slightly different speech pattern ... or several.

Your plots are a vast part of your books' appeal, too.  Your dedication to Dorothy Dunnett provided a clue as to where your love and knack for intricate and fun plots may have partially germinated!

Can't wait for your latest!

Wishing you all the best,

Laura