Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
jillcod
0 Kudos

Re: Kelley Armstrong, September 21-25

Hi Kelley,

Thanks so much for agreeing to do Center Stage!  I eagerly look forward to your posts over the next few days. I love reading your Otherworld, Darkest Powers, and Nadia Stafford series. I can't want for Frostbitten to be released next week!

I know you'll probably have thousands of questions, so I'll make mine brief:

1.) From the synposis, Frostbitten takes place partly in Alaska.  Since I presently live in Anchorage is there any chance you'll stop by for a book signing?

2.) I know you probably can't comment on this, but judging from Elena's last few tweets it sounds like she didn't handle the Alpha news very well (if I interpreted the tweet correctly). :smileyvery-happy:  Will Frostbitten explore that discussion in-depth?

3. ) One of my FAVORITE characters in the Otherworld series is Jamie. Do you have any future books planned with her as your main character? (By the way, thanks for making her a minor character in so many of the other books. I love reading about her various adventures.)

4.) I just finished reading the first two Nadia Stafford books.  Is there any plans for a 3rd book in the series?

5.) What's Paige been up to during the last few books?  We hear about her in the book backgrounds, but not much about her involvement in the council and the new coven.

Thanks in advance for responding to my questions and for providing me with hours of reading enjoyment. Congratulations on the new book.

Sincerely,

Jill

Inspired Correspondent
Bethanne
0 Kudos

Welcome, Kelley -- and welcome, readers! What a fun week this will be on Center Stage. Kelley, if there's anything you need today please let me know. I look forward to jumping in to the discussion.

Bethanne

Check out this week's Center Stage discussion!

See all upcoming discussions!

0 Kudos

Kelley, what's the most interesting encounter you've ever had with a reader (good OR bad, whichever you like -- or both!)?

Bethanne

Check out this week's Center Stage discussion!

See all upcoming discussions!

0 Kudos

smoochys wrote:
  1. I know that you like to focus on the women as the protagonists in your novels, but have you considered a full-length one for Jeremy?  Your Men of the Otherworld's look into Jeremy's past was very interesting.
  2. When are you going to write a Savannah all grown up and away from Paige book?  I like her fire and I think that she would be really entertaining away from Paige's watchful eye.

1) I've considered it.  I have some ideas.  I just need to slot him in--the narrator schedule is a little crowded!

2) Actually, Savannah gets books 11 & 12 (Waking the Witch & Spellbound)  Waking the Witch is done and due out next August.

Author
Kelley-Armstrong
0 Kudos

SpadinaSt wrote:

My question is this: Have you considered a book from Clayton's point-of-view? Only because Elena describes Clay so well with all his flaws that I was wondering how Clay saw Elena and all her flaws (if she has any)?

I think Elena is the best person to point out her own flaws.  She's well aware of them <grin>  There is a short story from Clay's POV in My Big Fat Supernatural Honeymoon.  Also, in the next charity anthology, Tales of the Otherworld, there's the story of their initial romance, told from both points of view.  Clay doesn't spend a lot of time describing her flaws, though--he's too busy dealing with the problems caused by his own.

Author
Kelley-Armstrong
0 Kudos

Eternusnex6 wrote:

You have inspired me to write and so i have only now i have a problem, i have been looking for publishing companies and i am not sure how to get started. How were you able to get started ?

There are tons of great resources out there for finding publishers.  The Writer's Digest has guides to query letters, agents, publishers etc.  That said, there are many ways that authors get published.  It's not a set of steps that everyone follows.  I went the query letter route, and couldn't get a nibble.  My break was having a writing instructor introduce me to an agent.  That makes it sound very quick and easy, and it wasn't.  It's a rare author who gets her first book published.  For most, it happens after a couple of failed projects and years of rejection.  But we hang in there knowing all we need is one "yes."  Good luck with it!

Author
Kelley-Armstrong
0 Kudos

Dannigrrl wrote:

I'm actually gearing up for my first NaNoWriMo and have read your outlining info.  I'm a little scared, but also very excited. 

NaNoWriMo is great!  This is the first year since 2005 that I won't be participating--it's just falling at a really bad time, when I need to be editing instead.  But I'll still be joining in on my discussion board.  In October, I'll reopen the NaNoWriMo forum where writers can chat, support each other, share tips, track their progress etc.

New User
Claudia_91
0 Kudos

Hey Kelley >_<Huge fan!!! (giggles)

I just wanted to know if at any point do you think that the Drakest Powers series characters and the Otherworld series characters wil meet up,pass by, mention each other?????

Also is Savannah's story going to be YA or in the Otherworld series???

Will the characters in Darkest Powers eventually become part of the Otherworld series?Or will we always see them in YA books?

New User
Shystar0502
0 Kudos

Hi Kelley,

Long time reader, first time responder. LOL.

I just wanted to tell you how much I love your books. My favorite couples are Hope and Karl... Jaime and Jeremy... And of course Elena and Clay.(Plus Savannah and her future man)

Are Hope and Karl going to get an HEA? Is Jaime and Jeremy happy childless?

XOXO,

Shystar

Author
Kelley-Armstrong
0 Kudos

I promised some announcements of current and new stuff, and I'll start here with the ones for

Frostbitten (Women of the Otherworld Series #10) , which comes out in exactly one week!

I've been running a Twitter story for Elena on the events leading up to the book.  It's been going for a couple of months now and will end on release day.  At that time, I'll post the whole thing on my website.  For now, you can find her Twitter here.

I also released a free short story that tied in with Elena's Twitters.  You'll find that here and there will be a second one coming on the 29th.

I'm running a promotion to celebrate the release of the book, similar to the one I did for No Humans Involved (Women of the Otherworld Series #7)  You'll find details on that here

And, finally, I have gym bags and T-shirts for Frostbitten piling up in my stock room, so I'm going to give a couple of those away.  I won't make you ask a question to enter.  Just answer one, from one of my previous responses in this thread.  The question is: What's the name of the tour I'm doing in Sept 2010.  To enter, email your answer to contest@kelleyarmstrong.com.  I'll draw two winners from the correct responses at end of day tomorrow (midnight Eastern time). Winners can choose a bag or shirt.

Reader
ohowbad
0 Kudos

I just want to say I have become a very big fan of yours.  I LOVE your characters and look forward to "Tales of the Otherworld".  I just started the Nadia Stafford series and I am loving it already.  LOVE Elena on Twitter!!  She is one of my favorites and it has been a blast following her!  Which series is easier for you to write?  The paranormal stuff or the Nadia stuff?  Which is more fun for you to write?  

New User
mpendrell
0 Kudos

My friends and I were debating about your Nadia books. We were divided on if Jack loves Nadia or is really only interested in being a father figure/mentor. Want to settle the debate {grin}? We also argued that even if he did like her he'd never tell her or do anything about it. Seeing how Nadia doesn't think he feels anything like that all she would never take the first step either. * If* they were to get together who do you think would have to make the first move? What would it take for one of them to make the first move? Jack is such a  big question mark (his past, his feelings, what made him take Nadia as his protegee). If Jack made a play for her it would be harder for her now though because she has started things  with Quinn and she seems like the loyal type. Maybe Jack and Nadia could have one guilt free make-out session. Not sure how that would happen though. After Exit Strategy I was team Jack but after Made to be Broken I switched to team Quinn. My friends and I divided down the middle about which guy we liked better for Nadia. Will we ever find out what Dee told Evelyn?We all also agreed there are a lot of story left to tell. Any plans to further the story line?

Let's see my questions were hidden in with all my theorizing. They are

1. Is Jack interested in Nadia romantically?

2. *If* they (Jack and Nadia) were to get together who would have to make the first move?

3.  What would it take (aside from a natural disaster) for one of them to make the first move?

4. Would the fact Nadia is now dating Quinn create another hurdle if Jack decided to make a play for her?

5. Will we ever find out what Dee told Evelyn?

6. Will we ever learn more about Jack's past?

7. Any plans to further the story line either on line or in book form?

Author
Kelley-Armstrong
0 Kudos

What made you want to be an author?

What inspired Bitten and by extension, The Otherworld?

I will answer all your questions.  I'm just going to break them up and keep popping back to answer more.

I've been writing stories all my life, but never thought of it as a potential career.  In my family, writing was a hobby, so my goal was just to maybe get a book or two on the shelf someday.  When I started trying for publication, I bumped that goal up to "maybe be able to write part-time someday."  It wasn't until I had a couple of books out that I started thinking I might be able to become a full-time author.

As I was immersing myself in improving my writing, I joined writers groups.  I promised one that I would bring a new story to the next meeting but couldn't think of anything interesting to write about.  Finally, I gave up and sat down to watch the X-Files television show.  The episode was about a werewolf, and it was the typical Hollywood werewolf--a big hairy man who runs around killing people.  I've always hated that kind of werewolf, so I decided that's what I'd write my short story about--the kind of werewolves I'd like to see.  I wrote a short story about a female werewolf named Elena Michaels, and eventually gave her a novel, which was Bitten.

Author
Kelley-Armstrong
0 Kudos

PoisonIvyPlague wrote:

Do you incorporate parts of your day into your stories?  For example, the dog gets into the peanut butter jar and keeps licking his tongue or your kid is upside down rubbing his head into the carpet.  :-) 

Real-life events will sometimes become "in jokes" in the books.  For example, both Elena and Derek (my werewolf from the YA series) have been bitten by Chihuahuas.  I've done a lot of work with dogs, but the only time I've even been bitten was by...you guessed it, a Chihuahua.  I was cleaning out its cage at a vet's and it bit me in the nose.  Left a scar for years.  So in my books what's the one breed of dog brave (or foolish) enough to attack werewolves?  Yep.  Chihuahuas.

Author
Kelley-Armstrong
0 Kudos

jillcod wrote:

1.) From the synopsis, Frostbitten takes place partly in Alaska.  Since I presently live in Anchorage is there any chance you'll stop by for a book signing?

2.) I know you probably can't comment on this, but judging from Elena's last few tweets it sounds like she didn't handle the Alpha news very well (if I interpreted the tweet correctly). :smileyvery-happy:  Will Frostbitten explore that discussion in-depth?

3. ) One of my FAVORITE characters in the Otherworld series is Jamie. Do you have any future books planned with her as your main character? (By the way, thanks for making her a minor character in so many of the other books. I love reading about her various adventures.)

4.) I just finished reading the first two Nadia Stafford books.  Is there any plans for a 3rd book in the series?

5.) What's Paige been up to during the last few books?  We hear about her in the book backgrounds, but not much about her involvement in the council and the new coven.

1) I wish!  I was there in 2007 for a convention and loved it so much I decided to let the werewolves visit :smileyhappy:  But no plans to send me there anytime soon.  I'll have to be on the lookout for more conventions!

2) Yes, you guessed right.  She has a couple of issues to work through in Frostbitten, and that's one of them.  It's not that she doesn't want the job, just that she isn't sure it's a good idea...or that she's up to it

3) Jaime is very high on my list of characters to bring back.  I'm working on a plot for her now and if it pans out, she'll get #13

4) I do plan a couple more Nadia books.  The problem right now is time!  Rather than lock myself into a contract and deadline and have to pound out something I'm not happy with, my plan is to write her next one as I get time, then work on the contract part <grin>

5) I think Paige gets short shrift because she's very easy to come up with plots for now that she has the investigative agency with Lucas.  That means that I keep her as my "backup" narrator, if I don't have a plot for someone else.  That doesn't seem to be happening, though, so I'm working on a novella idea for her now.

B&N Bookseller
Dana_W
0 Kudos

Hi Kelley! Greetings from an avid bookseller fan!  I have loved your books since the beginning and am so excited to hear about the new werewolf installment!:smileyvery-happy:  I have shown countless customers your books and have gotten them hooked on Elena and the boys.  :smileyhappy:  Love Paige and the witches too. 

Very happy to hear you are working on a teen series.  I also read a lot of teen and am currently working on a YA myself.  :smileytongue: It is paranormal of course.  Wish me luck.  Is there anything you would tell someone who is trying to finish their first book?  How is your writing day structured?  Do you write one scene at a time in order or as the scene strikes you. 

Thanks! 

Dana W.
Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi All,

Here are some questions we asked Kelley prior to her Center Stage appearance. My apology for not posting them sooner. Enjoy!

Tell us about how your new novel fits in with OR stands out from your body of work/previous work.

With Frostbitten, I return to my first (and most popular) Otherworld narrator, werewolf Elena Michaels.  In my last two novels, I'd moved away from my first-person single-narrator style.  Frostbitten returns to that, reassuring readers that I may play with narrative style to suit new plotlines, but it's not a permanent change.

What's the most interesting thing a reader has ever asked you?

Every now and then a reader will ask whether I base my werewolves on any kind of "insider knowledge."  I take it as a sign that I've made them realistic--as if such things could exist in our world--which I consider a very high compliment.

What's the one thing no one has ever asked you that you are dying to make known?

There are always aspects of a book-usually research aspects-that I hope readers will ask about...and they rarely do.  With research, I have to be careful not to dump everything interesting into the book, so I have lots of little tidbits I'd love to impart.  Now that I'm trying to think of an example, though, all I can come up with are aspects of upcoming novels.  Those are the ones where the research is still clearest in my mind.  In the last week, though, someone did ask about a legend I used in Haunted (book 5) and probably got a much more detailed answer than she wanted!  That was the first time anyone asked about that legend, so I was thrilled at the chance to relate it in more detail.

Whose books would you like to have written if not your own? 

I'm particularly envious of anyone who can write beautifully.  My own prose is very simple and straightforward.  Guy Gavriel Kay is one author whose work I'd love to be able to emulate.

If you weren't a writer, you'd be?

Miserable!  I love telling stories, and I've been doing it from childhood.  Even if I hadn't ever gotten published, I would have continued to write.  If I wasn't an author, I'd probably still be in my former career, which was a computer programmer.  I'd picked that because I enjoyed it enough that if the writing never panned out as a career, I'd still have a job that I liked.

Author
Kelley-Armstrong
0 Kudos

Bethanne wrote:

Kelley, what's the most interesting encounter you've ever had with a reader (good OR bad, whichever you like -- or both!)?

I've had lots of interesting encounters :smileyhappy:  One of the most memorable though was the first time I was ever recognized.  It was years ago at my first big US convention--Romantic Times.  I was on the elevator checking in and a young woman on it said "You're Kelley Armstrong."  I stood there, looking stupid (and probably looking around to see if maybe she meant another Kelley Armstrong) before I recovered enough to respond.  She was an unpublished writer, but she didn't stay unpublished for long after that.  It was Rachel Vincent, who went on to write the Stray series and has a new YA series (the first book My Soul to Take  is great BTW)

Author
Kelley-Armstrong
0 Kudos

ArtemisEstelle wrote:

1) When you go on a tour, how do you feel about all those people lined up there to see you?

2) When you brought together Men of the Otherworld and now Tales of the Otherworld, what made you want your profit to go to charity?

1) Well, if there ARE a lot of people lined up, I'm very happy LOL.  Signings are strange things.  I can go to one and have a lineup of over a hundred people...and I can go to another a week later and have a dozen.  Big ones are good for my ego.  Smaller ones are nice, though, because they let me just sit and chat with readers, which is wonderful.

2) Most of the stories in those two anthologies were originally available free online.  Every year I'd done a novella or a collection of short stories.  They were meant to be a gift to readers.  After a while, though, readers wanted them in book form instead.  My publisher offered to do that, and I decided it was only right to "re-gift" them by making them charity endeavours.

Contributor
Mimi-126
0 Kudos

Kelley,

I'm a long time fan and you've answered many of my questions before on your home site.  I'm almost finished with "Living With The Dead," because I was too cheap to buy it in hardcover, and I just want to say I love your pairing of Karl and Hope.  So far, Lucas and Paige have been my favorite, even though it seems they're considered boring by other readers.  I simply love the way Karl and Hope compliment each other and I love to read more about these two. 

I love the amount of action you put into your books.  You, Kim Harrison and Keri Arthur have the bravest and most exciting female characters.  I love that they are never wimps.

However, I'd like to see Lucas and Jeremy in more action.  It seems like Clay is the male superhero and the other guys kind of lack in stature. 

P.S. I've learned to live with the Jeremy/Jaime pairing.  I don't hate it as much as I use to, but I still think she's not a good fit for him. lol

Mimi

NYC