Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
Kelley-Armstrong
0 Kudos

Re: Kelley Armstrong, September 21-25

Mimi-126 wrote:

However, I'd like to see Lucas and Jeremy in more action.  It seems like Clay is the male superhero and the other guys kind of lack in stature. 

That's one problem with both those guys--they can fight, but it's not their natural way of dealing with problems.  I expect you'll see a more action-oriented story for one of them soon!  Just working on ideas now.

Author
Kelley-Armstrong
0 Kudos

Tiggeruth wrote:

I have read all of your books and really like the Nadia books.  Is there any chance you'll be writing a third book anytime soon?

I plan to.  As you could tell by the ending of Made to be Broken, Nadia's story wasn't meant to end there.  The problem was that, after that was written, the young adult series started--and took off better than anyone dared hope.  I suddenly got a whole lot busier managing the success of that and contracting for three more YA...meaning Nadia has to wait.  But I will return to her!  Soon, I hope.

Author
Kelley-Armstrong
0 Kudos

mpendrell wrote:

1) Was it hard for you to switch gears and write in a YA voice instead of an adult one?

2) What is anything was the biggest challenge in writing for YA?

1) It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.  I'd had the story idea for years, but what kept me from attempting it was that fear of switching to a much (much!) younger voice.  Once I got into that mindset, though, I quickly remember what it was like to be fifteen

2) The biggest challenge would be dealing with the more limited "toolbox" a teen has.  By that I mean what they can do to solve their problems.  If I have them escape a bad situation, they can't just hop on a plane or hole up at a hotel.  If they need to fight back, they can't just plot an attack the way my adult characters would.  They just haven't developed the level of skills needed to deal with extreme situations...and in my books, they need them!

Reader
PoisonIvyPlague
0 Kudos

Elena finds Paige to be annoying, obnoxius, and overconfident when they meet, but when Paige is the narrator we find more depth to her character and don't find those qualities so prevelent. 

How do you stay in your character's point of view? 

How do you keep your ideals separate from your characters? 

Who is the most difficult character to write for? Why?

New User
Tiggeruth
0 Kudos

Thanks for replying to my question!

I'll be patient, its nice to know that the story wont end there.  I really enjoy reading all of your books.

New User
Keala_M
0 Kudos

I just wanted to tell you that you broke my 'cherry' as far as the paranormal romance genre goes and there's no turning back. 

I enjoy the Otherworld series.  I like the way you make a fictional world plausible.  I enjoy the sense of humor and wittiness mixed in with a sense of danger and urgency.  I really liked Elena. 

Just one question...   Can you write faster?  Pretty much, you rock.

New User
dagori
0 Kudos

Hi, Kelly...What is your advice for would-be writers of your genre? How do you research your stories? What do you think about writing courses? Stephen King doesn't believe in them; he feels they focus too much on construction than creativity. Thanks.

New User
Karen_Attaway
0 Kudos

I love me some Kelley Armstrong!  :smileyhappy: I have read all of your books and most of the short stories. I greatly appreciate how generous you are with you writing (i.e. Dangerous and other fee online stories). It is a rare treat to have when an author does that.

I am a huge Paige and Lucas fan and loved Wedding Bell Hell, so I am anxiously awaiting Tales from the Otherworld. I was wondering if you added anything to the Wedding Bell Hell, because I would love to know how Lucas popped the question and little more about the ceremony.

Crossing fingers and hoping the Smart Chicks Kick Tour comes to Atlanta.

New User
em_46
0 Kudos

I was wondering if you have a favorite male and female characters?And who? And I wanna say that I love your books and think that your books are the perfect balance between romance and action. I was wondering if you thought NYC or even NJ might be in  Smart Chicks Kick Tour?  Wish me luck! I just entered your Frostbitten promo.

Author
Kelley-Armstrong
0 Kudos

Shelle30 wrote:

1)  Who is your favorite character in The Darkest Powers series?  Who is your least?

2)  If you could have a supernatural power, what would it be?

3)  How did you come up with the basic idea of the story?

4)  What are your top three writers' block busters?

5)  Who are your three favorite writers?

1) I can never pick favourites.  It feels like picking a favourite out of my kids :smileyhappy: Even the ones that I wouldn't like personally, I like writing about, sometimes even more than the ones I would like.

2) Shape-shifting.  Unless I was being practical, then it's spell-casting because there aren't any real side effects--either you use your powers or you don't.

3) I get ideas from everywhere ( experiences, news articles, a scene in a movie that sparks an idea...)  They go into a file and when I need to start a story, I choose one from there.  Boring, I know.

4) Again, boring answers.  I don't have any magical ritual for breaking a block.  I'm not even sure I get blocked--at least not as other authors describe it.  I get stuck.  The solutions are 1) outline better 2) just sit and write anything 3) read for inspiration

5) I'll go with all time favourites rather than current ones.  Stephen King, Judy Blume, Jane Austen

Author
Kelley-Armstrong
0 Kudos

Biku wrote:

1) So what I'm getting around to asking is, would you be planning any stops in New York state any time soon on a tour?

2)  Also, as they get older, would you be considering writing any books, or even short stories, featuring Kate and Logan? I'm sure as they grow, they must have many adventures to tell.

1) I'd like to!  I'm in the state at least once a year...just not on events. I'd love to do a Buffalo signing for The Reckoning, since most of the trilogy was set there (hint to any Buffalo bookstores :smileywink: )

2) When they're older,  yes.  I'm being careful not to "soap opera" age them.  I can see why shows do that, though.  Right now, as preschoolers, they add a little flavour to the series, but really can't contribute very much!

New User
romancekat
0 Kudos

Hi Kelley,

I love your books and I've read all of them. I am especially loving the Twitter-it's the first time I've used it. My favorite characters are Elena and Clay and Paige and Lucas. I love the concept of the Cabals-very clever. I like so many parts of your worlds especially the whole conflict for Lucas to help the Cabal but not get assimilated by it. One part of a book that rang true for me with my life was in Industrial Magic where Paige starts off with a plan of a list of things she is going to accomplish (exercise, work, cook, do lots of thoughtful things for her family, ...) and she is lucky if she gets to the first 3 or 4 of them but she keeps trying the next day to do it all. As a Mom, full-time employee, wife, neighbor, friend, ... I know just how she feels). 

I have two questions:

1. When will Paige and Lucas have a baby? I think they would make great parents.

2. How does werewolf mating work in your world? How does the bond happen? Once they recognize their mate or bond to them is there just one mate in the world for them? 

Thanks,

Kat

Author
Kelley-Armstrong
0 Kudos

wahoowa98 wrote:
I am dying to know what will happen with Rhys and Hope--what is this group of supernatural mercenaries all about? Will Hope and Karl join together? I know Hope just got two novels, but any chance we will get a story about Rhys and his world and how Hope fits into it? Will she become a kickbutt warrior for this group? I can't wait to find out!

Yep, a lot of questions raised in that one, and a lot of places for me to take it.  I have ideas for a plot involving Rhys's group.  Just working out details of how I'd do it--with Hope as part of it or more established characters butting up against it :smileyhappy:

Author
Kelley-Armstrong
0 Kudos

Velle_est_Posse wrote:
1)  I know you said that Stolen inspired the Darkest Powers Series, but what inspired Stolen?
2)How did you come up with the puberty ceremony? What research did you do?
3) What inspired the Cabels and the mercenaries? Are there more governing bodies in the supernatural world?
4) Also, a few of your characters are involved in the crime world will we ever get to see it? No dates or time span required, just wondering if you are closed to the idea.  Are there ideas and/or plots that you are closed to you as a writer?
5)You started a contest on the Chloe Saunders Live Journal, the one with a suggestion for the next e-serial how many entires are we limited to?

1) Oh boy, you're going back a ways for me.  Stolen was written in 2000, so I'm fuzzy on the details :smileyhappy:  I know I wanted a plot that would bring the werewolves back into the supernatural world so it had to be a threat that involved them and other races.  That's all I remember about the genesis of that idea!

2) Same problem <grin>  When it's that many books back, I remember only the really striking decisions.  I did a lot of research for the witchcraft in Dime Store Magic, but I messed around with everything in it.  I know that the menses ceremony was partly based on a Wiccan one, but changed.

3) Same problem.  Sorry!  I know for readers just getting into the series, it's all new.  For me, something like the Cabals have been an integral part of the main plot for so long that I really don't remember what inspired them.  I do know that I'd originally emphasized the lawyer aspect more (many are trained as lawyers)  Then as I was writing Dime Store Magic, I started watching Angel, which had the "evil law firm" and quickly de-emphasized those aspects.

4) I'm not averse to the idea.  The only ideas I'm averse to are those that would be interesting plot-wise, but would either be out of character or wouldn't benefit the series long-term.  For example, I've had readers say they'd like to see Clay have an affair, because it would be an interesting twist to his relationship with Elena.  Sure it'd be interesting, but it would also be so out of character that most readers would suspect I'd died and someone else was writing the books. LOL  Likewise, readers have suggested I kill Jeremy because it would throw the Pack into conflict.  Sure, it would...for one novel.  Then they'd regroup and I'd have lost a major series character for the sake a plot twist.  Those are the only kind of ideas I dismiss completely.

5) Suggest as many as you want.  :smileyhappy:

Author
Kelley-Armstrong
0 Kudos

hturney wrote:

1) Which one of your characters is the most like yourself?

2) Will there be a more in depth story about the death of Malcolm?

1) Well, I've taken a couple of those "which Otherworld character are you most like" quizzes and both times I got "Clay."  LOL  Honestly, most of my characters have some of my traits, but none have very many.  The one I'm least like is Eve, which makes her a lot of fun to write.

2) Maybe...  It really depends on whether it works into a story or not.  If it's important, I'll write it.  Otherwise, I'll just leave it as a mystery until I have a use for it.

Author
Kelley-Armstrong
0 Kudos

PrincessMegs wrote:

1) Since a lot of your characters seem to be pairing off, will Nick ever find a steady girlfriend or get married? Or will he ever have a kid? (I know he thinks of it in Broken.) Or is he doomed to be a bachelor forever?

2) Are there other werewolf packs around the world (like in Europe, Australia, etc.), or is it just the one in North America? (I'm assuming that there are mutts who live outside of North America.)

3) Will there be any more insight into Jeremy's childhood in future books or short stories?

4) On average, how long would you say it takes you to write one of the Otherworld books?

5) Do you have any favourite supernatural authors and/or books?

1) I haven't found a mate for him, but there's a potential solution to the child issue in Frostbitten

2) Yep, there are, and you'll get more on that in Frostbitten

3) I do hope to narrate more from his point of view and when that happens, more of his backstory would be revealed

4) I do a first draft in about 4 months.  Then lots and lots of edits!  It's a little over a year from the start of the first draft until the final step (proofreading the typeset pages)

5) I'm always careful with that one because I'd hate to leave someone out!  I'll cheat and go back to the favourites of my youth, which would be Shirley Jackson, Stephen King, Anne Rice, Peter Straub...

Reader 2
Velle_est_Posse
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Thank you answering my questions. :smileyhappy: Your response brought a smile to face this morning. 

I was hoping not to ask you another question and just say thank you but I ended up thinking of four, my brain never stops working. :smileyvery-happy:

What inspired Frostbitten?

The promo, or banner at the side of this page says you are on Center Stage from Sept. 28-Oct 2, is that correct? I just wanted to let you know. 

What kind of professor is Clayton? Is he a professor? Sorry, we had a " what to do after you graduate uni.," lecture/tutorial yesterday, just wondering.  Did you do any research for Clay's anthropologic religion interest?

Thank you, again, for everything you have done for us readers, we really appreciate it. Have a great day. :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

Whoops! That's a mistake on our end. Unfortunately, after today, Kelley will be leaving us:smileysad: Thanks so much for your time, Kelley!

Velle_est_Posse wrote:

Thank you answering my questions. :smileyhappy: Your response brought a smile to face this morning. 

I was hoping not to ask you another question and just say thank you but I ended up thinking of two, my brain never stops working. :smileyvery-happy:

What inspired Frostbitten?

The promo, or banner at the side of this page says you are on Center Stage from Sept. 28-Oct 2, is that correct? I just wanted to let you know. 

Thank you, again, for everything you have done for us readers, we really appreciate it. Have a great day. :smileyhappy:

Author
Kelley-Armstrong
0 Kudos

ohowbad wrote:

1) How do you develop your characters?  Are they based on people you know?

2) Do you have a favorite character? Least favorite

3) Do you find that some are a challange to write their stories or do you come up with a story that would fit the character? 

1) They're comprised of bits of people I know, bits of myself, bits of people I've met briefly....all mixed up until no character bears any noticeable resemblance to any one person!

2) I don't play favourites with my characters :smileytongue: There are some that are easier to write than others, namely because I've done so much with them, like Elena or--recently, Chloe

3) I've learned that it's better to come up with a story that has a natural character choice, rather than taking a story and shoe-horning in a character because he/she has been absent for a while.  I did the latter with Broken.  The plot was originally meant for Jaime, but readers really wanted Elena back, so I reworked the idea and I never was pleased with the result.  I was much happier with Frostbitten, which was a werewolf plot and therefore best suited to Elena

Author
Kelley-Armstrong
0 Kudos

SpadinaSt wrote:

What books inspired you when you were a kid? Any hero or heroine that stands out in your mind all these years later? Or story that made you cry or inspire you as a child? Did you read fantasies and mythologies as a kid or when you were older (i.e., in your later teens)? Or, were you more into the classics first and fantasy/sci-fi later? Or, were you a comic book kid? Or, did you try to read whatever your mom or older sister read? It's always so interesting knowing what is memorable to writers decades later and the answers are always so different! 

So many books inspired me that I think of it as a general love of reading rather than a specific book or author.  I was an early reader and very quickly wanted to tell my own stories.  I'd enjoy a book and I'd think "That was great, but what if it happened this way instead..." and come up with my own version.  Picture book fan fiction. LOL

I was reading fantasy from the start.  Especially anything with supernatural elements.  Also anything with animals, particularly dogs.  Any wonder that my first published novel was werewolves? :smileyhappy:

I'd read any format really--books, short stories, comics, magazines, newspapers, the back of cereal boxes at the breakfast table...  I just read whatever was around.  I suspect that's why I love working in different formats today!