Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Mimi-126
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to Center Stage/About Center Stage

Kelley,

I'm a long time fan and you've answered many of my questions before on your home site.  I'm almost finished with "Living With The Dead," because I was too cheap to buy it in hardcover, and I just want to say I love your pairing of Karl and Hope.  So far, Lucas and Paige have been my favorite, even though it seems they're considered boring by other readers.  I simply love the way Karl and Hope compliment each other and I love to read more about these two. 

I love the amount of action you put into your books.  You, Kim Harrison and Keri Arthur have the bravest and most exciting female characters.  I love that they are never wimps.

However, I'd like to see Lucas and Jeremy in more action.  It seems like Clay is the male superhero and the other guys kind of lack in stature. 

P.S. I've learned to live with the Jeremy/Jaime pairing.  I don't hate it as much as I use to, but I still think she's not a good fit for him. lol

Mimi

NYC

Author
Kelley-Armstrong
0 Kudos

Re: Kelley Armstrong, September 21-25

Don't worry, I'm still working on questions and all will be answered today!  But I promised more announcements and got a little caught up in replies, so I'd better get to that before I forget.  These ones are all for the young adult series...

Free Online Novella

Last fall, I asked readers of the YA series what they'd like to see for an online novella.  They chose the story of Derek & Simon and how they got to Lyle House.  I've been posting two chapters of that a month, and it's now done!  You can read the complete story here.

2010 Online Novella

When I finished the 2009 online novella last week, I announced that I'll be doing one for the YA series again next year, and invited readers to give me ideas, which I'll put into a poll in January.  If you have an idea, send it (in 20 words or less) to contest@kellearmstrong.com.  I'll pick up to 5 for the poll and give signed books or CafePress gear to those whose ideas I selected.

Reckoning cover

The Reckoning Sample Chapters

The first three chapters for The Reckoning are now available. You'll find the excerpt here.  And, starting January 15, we'll be releasing 2 additional sample chapters a month.  I asked my publisher if this was possible, and they said yes.  So new chapters will go up on the 1st and 15th of each month until the book comes out. We're hoping to give away an ARC (advance reading copy) with each posting, too.

Smart Chicks Tour

I mentioned this earlier in a response, but I'll briefly link to it again, since it's for the YA books.  www.SmartChicksKickIt.com

After The Reckoning...

I just finished (today!) the first draft of book 4.  It's actually the first book in a new trilogy.  It's set in the same world, though, just with new characters who are part of another Edison Group experiment.  The trilogy is scheduled to start spring 2011.

New User
Christina-PC
0 Kudos

Hello Kelley, thank you for taking the time to answer questions. I'm a huge fan and love the way you put so many elements into writing. I have a few questions:

1.       You mentioned that you don’t want Jeremy and Jaime to have children. We are told that Jeremy is the last of his “kind”, are we going to see more into that and perhaps see that it’s not true? (what a mix of powers Jeremy and Jaime could put into a child). Where did Jeremy get his Tattoo?

2.       We learn that the pack had wolves that ran away to Alaska, will we be seeing or hearing from them in Frostbitten?

3.       What happened with the Santos’s estate?(you left Malcolm’s death open makes you wonder:smileywink:)

4.       Will we hear and see more about Bobby and Finn in future books? Seeing how Bobby wanted to help out the council, will she be part of it kind of how Hope is with true news?  Finn also needs help with his powers is Jaime still helping him with that?

5.       Will Karl have a book about his past and his father?

Reader
ohowbad
0 Kudos

Thank you Kelley for your answers!!  Keep up the great books!!  Love them and all your characters!  Thank you!!

New User
wahoowa98
0 Kudos

Thank you for your time and generosity with your readers!  With the risk of sounding like an obsessed fan, please bring back Hope and Karl as soon as your narrator schedule allows!!!!  All the best.

New User
grishace
0 Kudos

Kelly,

I really enjoy your books and am looking forward to Frostbitten.

My question is in the anthology The Eternal Kiss you introduced us to Kat and Marguerite, will these characters be showing up again?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Thanks so much for visiting with us, Kelley!

Author
Kelley-Armstrong
0 Kudos

PoisonIvyPlague wrote:

Elena finds Paige to be annoying, obnoxius, and overconfident when they meet, but when Paige is the narrator we find more depth to her character and don't find those qualities so prevelent. 

1) How do you stay in your character's point of view? 

2) How do you keep your ideals separate from your characters? 

3) Who is the most difficult character to write for? Why?

1) It takes some work to get into their character, and the first few chapters usually need serious rewriting, but once I'm there, I filter the story through their point of view, seeing everything else, including other characters as they'd see them, which isn't necessarily how I'd see them.  :smileyhappy:  I think we all bring our own experiences and preferences into play when we meet people. To a werewolf like Elena--and, to an even greater extent, Clay--Paige's youth means she should be respectful and deferential, and when she isn't, it causes trouble!

2) I make a very clear distinction between my characters and myself.  They very clearly aren't me or an idealized version of me or even, in some cases, people I'd get along with.  That makes it easy to give them preferences, ethics and ideals that I don't share and see things from their point of view, even if I'd personally disagree with it.

3) Hmm, I usually say Eve is the most challenging, because I really have to see the world the way she does, which is very different from how I do in most ways.  That makes her interesting to write. :smileyvery-happy:

Author
Kelley-Armstrong
0 Kudos

Keala_M wrote:

Just one question...   Can you write faster?  Pretty much, you rock.

LOL.  Well, as I'm finding, it's not the writing speed that's an issue.  It's everything that goes along with the writing--editing, promoting, correspondence etc.  I can write more than I do, but it's those follow-up parts that get in the way and slow me down :smileyhappy:

Author
Kelley-Armstrong
0 Kudos

dagori wrote:

Hi, Kelly...What is your advice for would-be writers of your genre? How do you research your stories? What do you think about writing courses? Stephen King doesn't believe in them; he feels they focus too much on construction than creativity. Thanks.

I do research anything I don't already know.  Having grown up reading everything I could about the paranormal, I have a lot to draw on, but I'll research the rest.  That's important to me.  I know there are writers who say we're writing about imaginary creatures, so we don't need to research them, and that works for them, but I want to work within the mythology, taking what works for me from existing sources.

I've done writing courses.  I've been in writing groups (still am)  I'm a strong proponent of both.  However, I've seen the dangers in both, too.  I've taken courses where instructors give bad advice and insist if you don't do x, y & z, you'll never get published, which is bull.  I know of writing groups that are either overly critical or completely uncritical--and neither is helpful.  For courses, I say take them to learn the basics and interact with others who are writing, but be aware of the cancellation policy and be prepared to drop out if you leave a class feeling anxious or discouraged--you should leave feeling energized and ready to go write.

Best advice I can give goes for any genre.  If you want to write, write.  Don't think about writing.  Don't plan to write someday. Like any craft, the only way you can improve is by doing it.

B&N Bookseller
Dana_W
0 Kudos

Hi Kelley.  It's Dana again.  Thanks for the great answers to my questions.  It is helpful to know what works for established authors.  :smileyhappy:

Can't wait to read your next installment in the series, but until then, I will keep working on my own werewolf YA.  I am to the point where I am at a difficult scene and it is hanging over my head like an anvil.  Ugh.  Love the story, but something about this scene is driving me mad. 

Thanks again.  I will get it soon!

Dana W.
Author
Kelley-Armstrong
0 Kudos

Karen_Attaway wrote:

I was wondering if you added anything to the Wedding Bell Hell, because I would love to know how Lucas popped the question and little more about the ceremony.

I didn't add anything to the story for Tales. For new stuff, I was focused on the one original story, so all I did with the existing ones is give them a couple rounds of really good edits, tightening them and smoothing out the rough spots.  Sorry!

Author
Kelley-Armstrong
0 Kudos

em_46 wrote:

1) I was wondering if you have a favorite male and female characters?And who?

2) I was wondering if you thought NYC or even NJ might be in  Smart Chicks Kick Tour? 

Wish me luck! I just entered your Frostbitten promo.

1) No favourites, sorry!  Some, like Elena and Clay, are just easier to write because I've done their points of view so often.

2) It'd be nice.  Oddly, NYC isn't terribly high on the request list, but it's a popular stop for authors, so we might end up there!

Good luck with the promo!  I've had a few trickling in this week as Frostbitten hits the shelves early in some places. 

Author
Kelley-Armstrong
0 Kudos

romancekat wrote:

1. When will Paige and Lucas have a baby? I think they would make great parents.

2. How does werewolf mating work in your world? How does the bond happen? Once they recognize their mate or bond to them is there just one mate in the world for them? 

1) They might, but I suspect that if it happened in the near future, it would be a whoops LOL  They have a lot on their plates, and Savannah is still at home, so they wouldn't be trying for a baby yet

2) It's not a "one mate in the world" thing, but they know that when they commit to someone, it'll be for life, so they'd be very, very careful to find the right person!

romancekat wrote:

Hi Kelley,

I love your books and I've read all of them. I am especially loving the Twitter-it's the first time I've used it. My favorite characters are Elena and Clay and Paige and Lucas. I love the concept of the Cabals-very clever. I like so many parts of your worlds especially the whole conflict for Lucas to help the Cabal but not get assimilated by it. One part of a book that rang true for me with my life was in Industrial Magic where Paige starts off with a plan of a list of things she is going to accomplish (exercise, work, cook, do lots of thoughtful things for her family, ...) and she is lucky if she gets to the first 3 or 4 of them but she keeps trying the next day to do it all. As a Mom, full-time employee, wife, neighbor, friend, ... I know just how she feels). 

I have two questions:

1. When will Paige and Lucas have a baby? I think they would make great parents.

2. How does werewolf mating work in your world? How does the bond happen? Once they recognize their mate or bond to them is there just one mate in the world for them? 

Thanks,

Kat

Author
Kelley-Armstrong
0 Kudos

Velle_est_Posse wrote:

1) What inspired Frostbitten?

2) the promo, or banner at the side of this page says you are on Center Stage from Sept. 28-Oct 2, is that correct? 

3) What kind of professor is Clayton? Is he a professor? Sorry, we had a " what to do after you graduate uni.," lecture/tutorial yesterday, just wondering.  Did you do any research for Clay's anthropologic religion interest?

1) I was at a mystery convention in Anchorage in 2007 and I loved it.  I thought it would make the perfect locale for a werewolf book, so I started thinking of possible plots.

2) Yeah, that's wrong, but it'll be fixed, I'm sure!

3) He's not a full-time professor.  He has a PhD in Anthropology and has done some teaching, but he's primarily a researcher.  And he doesn't do a lot of that LOL  He publishes just enough to keep his reputation.

Author
Kelley-Armstrong
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to Center Stage/About Center Stage

Mimi-126 wrote:

Kelley,

I'm a long time fan and you've answered many of my questions before on your home site.  I'm almost finished with "Living With The Dead," because I was too cheap to buy it in hardcover, and I just want to say I love your pairing of Karl and Hope.  So far, Lucas and Paige have been my favorite, even though it seems they're considered boring by other readers.  I simply love the way Karl and Hope compliment each other and I love to read more about these two. 

I love the amount of action you put into your books.  You, Kim Harrison and Keri Arthur have the bravest and most exciting female characters.  I love that they are never wimps.

However, I'd like to see Lucas and Jeremy in more action.  It seems like Clay is the male superhero and the other guys kind of lack in stature. 

P.S. I've learned to live with the Jeremy/Jaime pairing.  I don't hate it as much as I use to, but I still think she's not a good fit for him. lol

Mimi

NYC

Somehow this one got duplicated today, so I'm just commenting so it won't look as if I missed questions!  They were answered back on the first page (or second...)

Author
Kelley-Armstrong
0 Kudos

Christina-PC wrote:

1.       You mentioned that you don’t want Jeremy and Jaime to have children. We are told that Jeremy is the last of his “kind”, are we going to see more into that and perhaps see that it’s not true? (what a mix of powers Jeremy and Jaime could put into a child). Where did Jeremy get his Tattoo?

2.       We learn that the pack had wolves that ran away to Alaska, will we be seeing or hearing from them in Frostbitten?

3.       What happened with the Santos’s estate?(you left Malcolm’s death open makes you wonder:smileywink:)

4.       Will we hear and see more about Bobby and Finn in future books? Seeing how Bobby wanted to help out the council, will she be part of it kind of how Hope is with true news?  Finn also needs help with his powers is Jaime still helping him with that?

5.       Will Karl have a book about his past and his father?

1) I do plan to revisit that plot.  Not exactly sure when, but it will come up.

2) Yes, we revisit the Stillwells in Frostbitten

3) by them time Daniel died, the estate had been sold, so there was just whatever money he had (and probably not much, since he wasn't exactly a hard-working guy LOL)

4) Yep, they will return.  We'll likely hear about them in one of Savannah's books...still working on that idea.

5) I doubt he'll get a book, but he may get a novella, and more of his past will be explored there

Author
Kelley-Armstrong
0 Kudos

grishace wrote:

My question is in the anthology The Eternal Kiss you introduced us to Kat and Marguerite, will these characters be showing up again?

They will.  I have another story with them in it...just not at the stage where I can discuss it.  Soon though! 

Author
Kelley-Armstrong
0 Kudos

Dana_Wright wrote:

Can't wait to read your next installment in the series, but until then, I will keep working on my own werewolf YA.  I am to the point where I am at a difficult scene and it is hanging over my head like an anvil.  Ugh.  Love the story, but something about this scene is driving me mad. 

Move past it and come back.  Unless you absolutely need to work it out first, just give yourself permission to move on.  I just stick in things like ** scene to come ** or ** description to come ** then, at the end, search on the ** and add in the missing parts.

New User
mavel
0 Kudos

Greetings from Mexico

Just wanted to say I love your books, I started with the summoning, since YA are my favorite type of books, and I loved the world you've created, so I've read the otherworld series too (just ordered Living with the dead).

My favorite characters, other than Chloe and Derek, are Jaime and Jeremy, so the news that you might have Jaime narrating the 13th book is awesome.

You're by far my favorite writer.