Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
Bethanne
0 Kudos

Kelley Armstrong, September 21-25

Welcome to Center Stage, Kelley Armstrong! Kelley's latest novel is Frostbitten, but she'll be discussing and answering questions about all of the books in her series

Kelley Armstrong is the New York Times bestselling author of the Women of the Otherworld series. She has been telling stories since before she could write. Her earliest written efforts were disastrous. If asked for a story about girls and dolls, hers would invariably feature undead girls and evil dolls, much to her teachers' dismay.

All efforts to make her produce "normal" stories failed. Today she continues to spin tales of ghosts and demons and werewolves while safely locked in her basement writing-dungeon. Kelley lives in Ontario with her family. Visit her website at www.kelleyarmstrong.com.    

Check out this week's Center Stage discussion!

See all upcoming discussions!

0 Kudos

Re: Kelley Armstrong, September 21-25

A couple years ago i came acrosss this website with writer's caves and it had photographs of everybody's caves- some were little cramped corners, others were very spacious offices with custom built shelves and desks ---

you had this little bitty rickety desk frightningly overfull of papers in what looked like a corner of your kitchen.

It's been a couple years now with you on best sellers lists so, what is the state of your current writers cave and is it just perfect how you have it or how much cooler do you want it to be?

Inspired Correspondent
Bonnie824
0 Kudos

I didn't even know another Werewolf focused book was coming out. I found and loved the excerpts. You are always generous with your excerpts and I thank you for that and look forward to the new book.

Author
Kelley-Armstrong
0 Kudos

Happy Monday morning!  I'm thrilled to be here this week and hoping I'll have lots of questions to answer, so stop by and ask me something or start a discussion and I'll join in.

I'll start quietly for now (it's very early here) but I will be announcing new projects and current ones you might not have heard about.  I'll also give some stuff away.  Love giving away stuff...and if you could see my office, you'd know why--it's the only way I get the boxes cleared out!

What am I doing right now?  Besides being here?  I'm working on copyedits for Tales of the Otherworld (my second Otherworld charity anthology) while waiting for the proofreading for The Reckoning to land, and finishing the first book in my 2nd YA trilogy--I'm on the final chapters!  Busy, but for a writer, busy is good :smileyhappy:

Author
Kelley-Armstrong
0 Kudos

jeni-jeni wrote:

A couple years ago i came acrosss this website with writer's caves and it had photographs of everybody's caves- 

you had this little bitty rickety desk frightningly overfull of papers in what looked like a corner of your kitchen.

It's been a couple years now with you on best sellers lists so, what is the state of your current writers cave 

Hmm, I know the page you mean.  It's here, for anyone who wants to see it: http://www.paigecuccaro.com/html/the_cave.html  Mine's not in the kitchen, though, or overflowing with paper--certainly not neat and tidy, but relatively clear, for me anyway :smileywink:

That was taken a few years ago and it looks pretty much exactly the same.  That's where I do 90% of my writing.  I do, however, now have other places to do other kinds of work because, as much as I love the writing part, there's more to the job than that.  Even with an assistant, I spend a couple of hours a day on work that is neither writing nor editing.

I now have a main floor office that allows me to do the business stuff while my family is nearby, rather than retreating to that basement writing room.  Last year, I had a cabin built out at the back of our property, for when I need distraction-free time to write, edit, catch up on correspondence etc--as my deadlines increase and my kids get older, those distraction-free chunks of time became necessary!

Author
Kelley-Armstrong
0 Kudos

Bonnie824 wrote:

I didn't even know another Werewolf focused book was coming out. I found and loved the excerpts. You are always generous with your excerpts and I thank you for that and look forward to the new book.

Yep, another Elena & Clay book coming out very soon (just over a week now!)  It's always great to return to them.

New User
Safesound
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

When doing signings for fans do you ever get embarrassed by how enthusiastic they are?

New User
mistymistletoe
0 Kudos

Hi Kelley!  It's Misty!  I know everything has been asked on the boards, but I just wanted to pop over to support you!

Here is sort of a question...

I just put up a new Lucas wallpaper on the boards, since he is my favorite.  I have been asked why he is my favorite because some people think he is boring.  I think he is intelligent and "real".

Does it bother you when people love your books, but have problems with certain character?  Not bad guys, but your main characters that you aren't suppossed to hate?  I think it would drive me crazy :smileyhappy:

Thanks Kelley!

Misty

New User
jacsmom
0 Kudos

I haven't seen an update for the book tour you're planning for next year. Have you confirmed any more cities for it recently?

Reader
PoisonIvyPlague
0 Kudos

I enjoy reading all your stories; adult books, short stories, young adult books, novellas. They have all the aspects of life that anyone can relate to.  I also enjoy reading Elena's twitters.  That is the first place I go every time I get on the web. She is a great character to follow.  She has many hats and it is entertaining to follow her daily life.  Would you use Twitter for another character in the future?

I know that you have your hand in multiple tangents to your stories; you do LiveJournal for your Chloe Saunders character, you are writing another young adult trilogy, writing future adult series, interacting with your fans on your website, twitter, and facebook.  Thank you for being such a great at multitasker. 

Reader
smoochys
0 Kudos

Hi Kelley

Your books are always really interesting. Was was amazed to find that I even liked the young adult ones too.

1. I know that you like to focus on the women as the protagonists in your novels, but have you considered a full-length one for Jeremy?  Your Men of the Otherworld's look into Jeremy's past was very interesting.
  2. When are you going to write a Savannah all grown up and away from Paige book?  I like her fire and I think that she would be really entertaining away from Paige's watchful eye.
New User
SpadinaSt
0 Kudos

Hi, Kelley!

My niece got me hooked on the Twilight books this January and I got my first intro into the preternatural. When I was done with those I found Charlaine Harris and Laurell K. Hamilton. Then last month, I think the Costco magazine mentioned your books and I'm loving it!  So far, I've read Bitten, Stolen and the Men of the Otherworld. I'm hoping to head out this afternoon to pick up another Elena book.

My question is this: Have you considered a book from Clayton's point-of-view? Only because Elena describes Clay so well with all his flaws that I was wondering how Clay saw Elena and all her flaws (if she has any)?

Also, kudos to you for your generosity to the World Literacy of Canada through your Men of the Otherworld!

Keep on writing!

New User
Eternusnex6
0 Kudos

HI Kelly

I am so thrilled that i finally get to talk to you. I have read all your books and am a huge fan!.

You have inspired me to write and so i have only now i have a problem, i have been looking for publishing companies and i am not sure how to get started. How were you able to get started ?

Take care kelly !

Author
Kelley-Armstrong
0 Kudos

Safesound wrote:

When doing signings for fans do you ever get embarrassed by how enthusiastic they are?

I'm more likely to get readers who are very shy, walk up and get their book signed without a word--then email to say they had all these things they wanted to say and didn't.  I always feel bad about that. I try to prod questions from some of the quieter ones, but I don't want to be pushy.  So if anyone ever sees me at a signing, please talk!  Tell me who your favourite character is or what your favourite book is or ask a question, even if there's a line behind you.  Other will want to talk to me when they get up there, so they'll be willing to wait while you do.

Author
Kelley-Armstrong
0 Kudos

mistymistletoe wrote:

Does it bother you when people love your books, but have problems with certain character?  Not bad guys, but your main characters that you aren't suppossed to hate?  I think it would drive me crazy :smileyhappy:

I'd be lying if I said that I enjoyed hearing that a reader hates a certain main character. :smileywink:  I'd much rather hear which ones they like...and just figure out their least favourites from there. For every one that someone says they really dislike, though, someone else says that's their favourite.  It's like people--some you'd like to be friends with and some just really rub you the wrong way!

Author
Kelley-Armstrong
0 Kudos

jacsmom wrote:

I haven't seen an update for the book tour you're planning for next year. Have you confirmed any more cities for it recently?

was going to post an announcement about that tour here this week, so you're giving me the perfect segue.  I'll take advantage of that before I actually answer your question :smileyhappy:

I've done a couple of joint/group tours in the last year and they're great.  Having more than one author really makes it an event and gives readers a chance to meet favourites while meeting ones they might not have tried yet.  Group tours, though, are organized by the publisher, meaning all the authors come from the same house.  This summer. some YA authors were thinking of ways around that--how do we tour with authors that we really want to introduce to our readers, regardless of their publisher.  The answer is: create our own tour.

In Sept 2010, I'll be part of the "Smart Chicks Kick It" tour for YA authors of the paranormal.  There will be 3 authors who'll appear at every city.  That's me, Melissa Marr & Alyson Noel.  Then there's a rotating cast of authors who'll fill the remaining 3 slots.  Those authors are: Holly Black, Cassandra Clare, Jennifer Lynn Barnes, Sarah Rees Brennan, Rachel Caine  Kimberly Dertlng, Becca Fitzpatrick, Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl, Jackson Pearce, Mary Pearson, Carrie Ryan, Jeri Smith-Ready, Jessica Verday, and Rachel Vincent.

We'll be hitting at least 8 cities.  So far, we've lined up Toronto, Austin, San Diego & Phoenix.   And now to answer your question...  We'll be arranging the rest of the cities in the new year.  All the ones so far are indie bookstores.  We want chain stories too (including B&N) but it's too early to book events with them.  We'll be finishing the list in Feb/March of 2010.  Until then, readers can suggest their cites on the Facebook group, which is here.

New User
Dannigrrl
0 Kudos

I am so excited about Frostbitten!  I've read all of the Otherworld and Darkest Powers books.  Even my daughter is hooked on Chloe & Derek.  I just want to say a special thanks to you for your interaction with your fans.  I frequent your discussion boards and love your's and Elena's twitters.  I'm actually gearing up for my first NaNoWriMo and have read your outlining info.  I'm a little scared, but also very excited.  Thanks for sharing your work and wisdom with us.

Author
Kelley-Armstrong
0 Kudos

PoisonIvyPlague wrote:

I enjoy reading all your stories; adult books, short stories, young adult books, novellas. They have all the aspects of life that anyone can relate to.  I also enjoy reading Elena's twitters.  That is the first place I go every time I get on the web. She is a great character to follow.  She has many hats and it is entertaining to follow her daily life.  Would you use Twitter for another character in the future?

I know that you have your hand in multiple tangents to your stories; you do LiveJournal for your Chloe Saunders character, you are writing another young adult trilogy, writing future adult series, interacting with your fans on your website, twitter, and facebook.  Thank you for being such a great at multitasker. 

I love having the opportunity to do so many things. My biggest problem these days is not having enough time to do all the different things I'd like to!

As for the Twitter, I think it would work out for Savannah, who gets the next novel.  It has to be the right character.  One of my publishers had initially suggested doing it for Clay for Men of the Otherworld.  The concept of Clay Twittering?  Good for a laugh, but...no.  It worked for Elena, though, and I suspect it would for Savannah, so I'll be keeping that in mind for next year.

Contributor
ArtemisEstelle
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I don't know how long I just sat, poised and ready, at my keyboard waiting to type this. There are so many questions I want to ask, but I don't know what to say. 

What made you want to be an author?

What inspired Bitten and by extension, The Otherworld?

When you go on a tour, how do you feel about all those people lined up there to see you?

When you brought together Men of the Otherworld and now Tales of the Otherworld, what made you want your profit to go to charity?

But this is the one question that I think I have been itching to ask.

How long do you think The Otherworld will last? Ten books in with an eleventh book planned, I don't see an end in sight. While I am not complaining about that in the least, I still wonder. I know that in your FAQ, it says you are contracted for thirteen. But would you be able to wrap this world up in thirteen? And if you do go beyond, how far do you plan to go?

As for The Darkest Powers, I have a couple questions regarding them as well.

What made you decide to write four different trilogy's?

You said that one day when they are older, we would revisit Chloe and the others. Where would we revisit them?

How long can you imagine we would have to wait to see them again?

Where did the overall title come from? I noticed that in No Humans Involved, which was starred by a Necromancer, there was a chapter titled The Darkest Power. Was that intentional when starting off the first trilogy with another Necromancer?

I apologize for pelting all off the questions at once, but I did not know which ones to ask.

Reader
PoisonIvyPlague
0 Kudos

Do you incorporate parts of your day into your stories?  For example, the dog gets into the peanut butter jar and keeps licking his tongue or your kid is upside down rubbing his head into the carpet.  :-)