Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
Bethanne
0 Kudos

Kim Harrison, March 2-6

March arrives with a wonderful roar as we welcome author Kim Harrison to Center Stage! Harrison's new book is White Witch, Black Curse, and she'll be fielding questions about it and all of her other novels as well. 

New York Times bestselling author Kim Harrison was born andraised in the upper Midwest, but has since fled south. When not at work in theHollows series, she spends her time tending orchids, cooking with some guy inleather, and training her new dog. Her current vices include good chocolate,and exquisite sushi. Her bestselling novels include Dead Witch Walking; The Good,The Bad, and The Undead; Every WhichWay But Dead; A Fistful of Charms;For a Few Demons More and The Outlaw Demon Wails.

Check out this week's Center Stage discussion!

See all upcoming discussions!

Re: Kim Harrison, March 2-6

Whoo-hoo!!  I can't believe I finally made it.  Though the technology conspired to keep me out, (and I lost all my posts from last year) I finally got here, and I can't wait to talk to some of you this week.

If I can ask one favor of posters, is that we don't have any spoilers for WHITE WITCH, BLACK CURSE until Bethanne sets up a special SPOILER thread.

But I'm glad to be here, and I hope I can answer some questions, be they about the books or the writing process.

--Kim

Wordsmith
Chomp
0 Kudos

Welcome, Kim. It is great to have you here. Thanks for the request for a spoiler thread, as I have not read the new book yet.

Carol

So many books, so little time...
Contributor
--Bookworm--
0 Kudos

I haven't gotten the new book yet, but I can't wait to start reading it.  I do have a question though.  Is there a way of having you possibly to sign any of your books.  Thank you for your time.  Keep up the good work.

Bryan a.k.a. Bookworm

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Wow.

You were sold out of two different book chain stores locally today. I'm going to have to order it.

Message Edited by TiggerBear on 03-02-2009 01:12 AM
New User
Witchreader
0 Kudos

Kim, At the end of OLDW Trent gave Rachel a pandora charm.  He also asked her for the name of his "friend" because he couldn't remeber it.  Does that mean that his dad did something genetic to him too?  And why doesn't he use the charm himself?  He either know how to make it or he knows who does?  Thanks Delane
Inspired Correspondent
Bethanne
0 Kudos

_KimHarrison_ wrote:

Whoo-hoo!!  I can't believe I finally made it.  Though the technology conspired to keep me out, (and I lost all my posts from last year) I finally got here, and I can't wait to talk to some of you this week.

If I can ask one favor of posters, is that we don't have any spoilers for WHITE WITCH, BLACK CURSE until Bethanne sets up a special SPOILER thread.

But I'm glad to be here, and I hope I can answer some questions, be they about the books or the writing process.

--Kim

Welcome, Kim! So happy to welcome you to Center Stage this year. I'll set up that "Spoilers" thread this morning so that all the "spoilersports" out there can chat freely. There are a LOT of things to talk about once you've finished White Witch, Black Curse so I'm sure we'll find plenty of readers over there. 
Bethanne 

0 Kudos

--Bookworm-- wrote:

[...] Is there a way of having you possibly to sign any of your books.  Thank you for your time.  Keep up the good work.

Bryan a.k.a. Bookworm

Hi, Bryan.  There sure is.  At my website, www.kimharrison.net, I've got it all detailed out at the maildrop page.  I love signing books and mailing them back.  I'm glad you're enjoying my work.  Thank you! --Kim
Author
_KimHarrison_
0 Kudos

Witchreader wrote:
Kim, At the end of OLDW Trent gave Rachel a pandora charm.  He also asked her for the name of his "friend" because he couldn't remeber it.  Does that mean that his dad did something genetic to him too?  And why doesn't he use the charm himself?  He either know how to make it or he knows who does?  Thanks Delane

Hi, Delane.  It's quite possible that Trent's dad modified Trent, in fact, I'd be surprised if he hadn't.  But the reason Trent doesn't remember is because there were memory blockers in the water.  I'd be willing to bet that Trent does remember more than Rachel, but memory is a funny thing, and the same spell might trigger different memories in two people.  Hope this helps!  By the way, I finally get Rachel to unknot that charm in a future book.  Interesting . . .  ;-) --Kim
Author
_KimHarrison_
0 Kudos

Bethanne wrote:

Welcome, Kim! So happy to welcome you to Center Stage this year. I'll set up that "Spoilers" thread this morning so that all the "spoilersports" out there can chat freely. There are a LOT of things to talk about once you've finished White Witch, Black Curse so I'm sure we'll find plenty of readers over there. 
Bethanne 

Thank you, Bethanne!  It looks like someone left a message over there already.  ;-)

--Kim

New User
destructo_girl
0 Kudos

Heyde Hey Kim!  Looks like this book is a winner but now I find myself wanting more, as usual! :smileyhappy:  We're an impatient bunch of fans aren't we?

I have to say I love Rachel's mom more and more.  Will we still be hearing from her, regardless of the recent events in her and Rachel's lives?  She's a "covert" smart cookie and I really appreciated the way she sat Rachel on her way while making her think a little too.

Oh, by the way.... the new puppy is great!  He is such a little charmer and already sleeps through the night.

-mendi

New User
tabbyTX
0 Kudos

Kim - The book was amazing. I stayed up all night reading it last Tuesday. I know it just came out, but I can't wait for more!  I was just thinking earlier today that I would re-read WWBC tonight.  You're wonderful!
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Hi Kim,

I'm about Halfway through the book and am loving it.  I am loving all of the characters and the way Rachel has developed.  So glad that You have got such a great world of characters.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Author
_KimHarrison_
0 Kudos

destructo_girl wrote:

Heyde Hey Kim!  [...]I have to say I love Rachel's mom more and more.  Will we still be hearing from her, regardless of the recent events in her and Rachel's lives?  She's a "covert" smart cookie and I really appreciated the way she sat Rachel on her way while making her think a little too.

Oh, by the way.... the new puppy is great!  He is such a little charmer and already sleeps through the night.

-mendi

Hi, Mendi.  Yes!  I plan on bringing Alice in more, not as a main character, but here and there as I can.  She is a big part of who Rachel is, and she makes it easier to understand Rachel.  Congrats on the new puppy!  --Kim

Author
_KimHarrison_
0 Kudos

tabbyTX wrote:
Kim - The book was amazing. I stayed up all night reading it last Tuesday. I know it just came out, but I can't wait for more!  I was just thinking earlier today that I would re-read WWBC tonight.  You're wonderful!

Thank you, Tabby!  I'm glad you enjoyed it.  A year looks like a long time, eh?  Fortunatly I have a Hollows novella coming out in the summer.  --Kim
New User
jillcod
0 Kudos

Hi Kim,

Thanks so much for another great Hollows book.  I especially thank you for solving the mystery of what Ivy did with her wish. That's been bugging me for a while. I also love Big Al.  The dialogue you gave him in this book was priceless! 

Here's my questions: Will we ever see what exactly Rachel does with Big Al when she visits him in the Ever-After? Will Trent ever give Rachel some gratitude for saving his butt in TODW? (His holier than thou attitude is ripe for a smackdown). Most importantly, would you consider coming to Anchorage, AK for a book signing?  We'd love to have you here!

Thanks again for another enjoyable book.  It was the highlight of a dreary cold February!

Sincerely,

Jill

Inspired Correspondent
Bethanne
0 Kudos

destructo_girl wrote:

Heyde Hey Kim!  Looks like this book is a winner but now I find myself wanting more, as usual! :smileyhappy:  We're an impatient bunch of fans aren't we?

I have to say I love Rachel's mom more and more.  Will we still be hearing from her, regardless of the recent events in her and Rachel's lives?  She's a "covert" smart cookie and I really appreciated the way she sat Rachel on her way while making her think a little too.

-mendi

Destructo_girl, welcome to Center Stage. I appreciated your comments about Rachel's mom, although (without spoilers!) I kept wondering: Is mom right? Or is she projecting a bit? Even after finishing the book, I'm still pondering that one.
Bethanne 

0 Kudos

jillcod wrote:

Hi Kim,

Thanks so much for another great Hollows book.  I especially thank you for solving the mystery of what Ivy did with her wish. That's been bugging me for a while. I also love Big Al.  The dialogue you gave him in this book was priceless! 

Here's my questions: Will we ever see what exactly Rachel does with Big Al when she visits him in the Ever-After? Will Trent ever give Rachel some gratitude for saving his butt in TODW? (His holier than thou attitude is ripe for a smackdown). Most importantly, would you consider coming to Anchorage, AK for a book signing?  We'd love to have you here!

Thanks again for another enjoyable book.  It was the highlight of a dreary cold February!

Sincerely,

Jill

Jill, THANK YOU for asking about what exactly it is that Rachel does with Al when she's in the ever-after! I knew there was something I wanted to ask Kim, and couldn't remember...that was it!
Yes, Kim, when will we learn more about these "lessons?" :smileywink:
Bethanne 

0 Kudos

Sounds like material for another short story! :smileywink:
Contributor
NickinColoma
0 Kudos

Just thought I would stop by and wish a happy rest of tour to you---NickinColoma
Nick in Coloma