Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
Bethanne
0 Kudos

Re: Linda Fairstein, March 9-13

Happy Friday, Center Stage visitors! I hope all of you have had a good week and are looking forward to relaxing weekends. 

I wanted to remind everyone that today is the last day of Linda Fairstein's visit. Get your comments and questions in for her now! We've been a little slow this week, which I attribute to a) my absence; apologies, as I've been traveling and having a lot of connection problems and b) all of you reading Lethal Legacy and turning pages too quickly to have time to post! 

I'm sure if we get a few comments going today that Linda will answer them. I want to thank everyone for stopping by, but mostly thank Linda for her time and generosity in being here on Center Stage.

Bethanne 

Check out this week's Center Stage discussion!

See all upcoming discussions!

0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:
Hi Linda, it's me again. Speaking of Alex and Mike I feel the same way as I'm sure most of your readers do, in fact I even mentioned it on my review of the book on B&N. So now that the cat's out of the bag I really can't wait for the next one!!
Message Edited by dhaupt on 03-12-2009 12:21 PM

The 'next one' is still untitled....but I'll get to that soon....thanks for letting the cat the rest of the way out of the bag, Debbie.  Gives me an incentive to get back to the keyboard.

Linda

Learn more about Lethal Legacy.

Discover all Linda Fairstein titles.
Author
Linda_Fairstein
0 Kudos

Donald wrote:

Hello Linda,

It is so nice to get the chance to just say You Are Fantastic!!  There are few writers that I collect and get excited over when I learn they have a new book coming out, and you are definately one of them.  Your books are so unique and filled with wonderful locales and landmarks and strange histories that surround NYC - it just gives the the city a different feel than many other books and shows that are set in NY.  The first one I read was The Dead-House and you hooked me like no other writer; the creepy hospital is the perfect backdrop for a murder.  WONDERFUL.   I had two questions, one of which someone else probably already asked.  Do you have a title and plot location for your next book??  Are you going to try to do more than one book a year, like other crime writers?  And finally, do you have any desire to tackle a True Crime book??

The only other thing I wonder is, are you a fan of old radio shows; like THE SHADOW or SUSPENSE??  Just curious, i love them and find it fascinating when modern crime writers enjoy the old dramatic radio programs.

Keep writing the Alex Cooper thrillers, they are the best!!

Donald Kendall

Hi, Donald - I love your enthusiasm, and thanks for being so generous.  My first book - SEXUAL VIOLENCE, was non-fiction.  And I've done a lot of legal commentary on true crime cases.  I have every intention of getting back to true crime before too long.

So Coop's next caper is focused on all the political scandal and intrigue that dominated NYC headlines during the last two years - irrestistible.  The historic locales in the city include City Hall- built in 1802 - quite magnificent, and the only city hall built at that time and still used for its original purpose.  But the real mystery involves the only three Federal-periold wooden mansions still standing in Manhattan - they all have a political history, and some scandal.  Each one is beautifully restored - and empty- so imagine the uses I can put them too.  They are Gracie Mansion - the official mayor's residence (although our last few mayors haven't lived there....so bad things could happen at night) - built on one of the most historic military sites on the island (of course Chapman knows all about that)....by Archibald Gracie, a merchant who was very involved in politics.  The other two are Hamilton Grange - the home of Alexander Hamilton; and the Jumel Mansion -(exquisite) - in Harlem Heights, and the widow Jumel was married to Aaron Burr.  Gracie, Hamilton and Burr were all actually involved in a murder case in 1799...so stay tuned, political intrigue past and present.

And at the moment, with a wonderfully extended family life and loads of loyal friends, my one book a year schedule is quite sufficient.  Thanks for asking.

I love some of the old radio shows - like THE SHADOW....especially love to listen to them late at night, in the dark.  Kind of spooky and fun.  Best to you.

Author
Linda_Fairstein
0 Kudos

fjrob wrote:

Linda,

I am honored that you took the time to reply to my post.  I was actually a school librarian so pushing books on students was a great time.  Especially when things finally clicked with them and you couldn't keep them supplied in the books that they wanted.  I was able to get several of my students hooked on your books.  This means everytime the students knew you had one coming out I would have to make a trip to the bookstore to purchase a few copies so they wouldn't have to wait for me to order through the appropriate channels.  It was fun just to see them excited about reading.

fjrob

My most beloved librarian was the elementary school librarian - Miss Shorey.  She was so able to instill her love for books in those of us young readers with whom she connected.  I think of her all the time, especially because she took me from childhood reads to the adolescent classics.  The library itself was especially attractive - long reading tables and leaded windown and her desk in the center with our reading lists - and a wonderfully comfy green leather wing chair that they best reader of the week was allowed to sit in on Friday afternoons.  How my best friend and I fought for that honor!  I am so grateful to librarians - a very special place in my heart.

Reader 2
Driea
0 Kudos

Hi Linda:

I have ordered your new book, due to the fact that the feedback has been

so positive. Also I have read about your past accomplishments, education and

community involvement to impress me enough to see what I have been missing!

My question: I work in the Superior Court, 15 years now, I have always wanted

to write a book about my experiences surrounding this area. My friends have even

suggested it over the years. Where & how do I begin?