Inspired Correspondent
Bethanne
0 Kudos

Lisa Scottoline, May 4-8

[ Edited ]

Let's give a warm Center Stage welcome to Lisa Scottoline, the New York Times-bestselling and Edgar Award-winning author of sixteen novels, including Lady Killer, Daddy's Girl, and Dirty Blonde.

Scottoline writes a weekly column for The Philadelphia Inquirer entitled "Chick Wit." She has 25 million copies of her books in print in the United States, and she has been published in twenty-five countries. She lives in Philadelphia with an array of disobedient pets. 

Her latest novel, Look Again, is as addictively readable as her previous books. While anyone who has already taken a peek at Scottoline's new one is welcome to ask her about it, don't forget that you're welcome to make comments and ask questions on any of her titles here on Center Stage. If you'd like more info on Scottoline first, take a look at our BN.com Lisa Scottoline info page

Message Edited by Bethanne on 05-03-2009 07:26 PM

Check out this week's Center Stage discussion!

See all upcoming discussions!

Hi to Bethanne and everybody!

Just wanted to check in and say good morning!  B&N.com rocks!  Thanks so much for having me, and I'll be looking forward to having fun and answering questions and talking about myself, which is something all authors love to do!  My new book, LOOK AGAIN, is something of a departure for me, and I'm happy to talk about it as well as the creative process, how to get published, and a typical day in the life.  So stop by and ask away - I'll be here all week!  Love and thanks, L

Frequent Contributor
kmensing
0 Kudos

Loved this book!

Welcome Lisa-- 

O.k.--I read this book in two days.  My family had to survive on fast food & cold cereal becasue I wouldn't stop to cook them dinner (hope someone remembered to feed my dogs...).  I let my teenagers do all the driving (who knows how they did, my face was in the book).  No laundry got washed.....I think you all see where this is going.

I have several adopted nieces, nephews, brothers & cousins.  This story really put a chill in my spine.  I was just wondering where your plot inspiration came for this novel. I've read most of you books and really, really enjoyed this one.

Again--I loved it!

M.E.

Frequent Contributor
candeny6
0 Kudos

Re: Hi to Bethanne and everybody!

Hi Lisa!  First of all I have to say that I am pretty sure I am your biggest fan.  I've read all of your books and am half done with Look Again.  It is so different from all the others you have written.  I, also, am curious where you got the idea for this one. 

Are you planning to do any more books with the gals from Rosato & Associates?  I don't know that I could pinpoint a favorite book......

Candi
Inspired Correspondent
Bethanne
0 Kudos

Re: Loved this book!

kmensing wrote:

Welcome Lisa-- 

O.k.--I read this book in two days.  My family had to survive on fast food & cold cereal becasue I wouldn't stop to cook them dinner (hope someone remembered to feed my dogs...).  I let my teenagers do all the driving (who knows how they did, my face was in the book).  No laundry got washed.....I think you all see where this is going.

I have several adopted nieces, nephews, brothers & cousins.  This story really put a chill in my spine.  I was just wondering where your plot inspiration came for this novel. I've read most of you books and really, really enjoyed this one.

Again--I loved it!

M.E.

M.E., you cracked me up. When a book really grabs me as a reader, everything else goes by the wayside...completely understand your allowing the family to fend for themselves!
Bethanne 

0 Kudos

Lisa_Scottoline wrote:

Just wanted to check in and say good morning!  B&N.com rocks!  Thanks so much for having me, and I'll be looking forward to having fun and answering questions and talking about myself, which is something all authors love to do!  My new book, LOOK AGAIN, is something of a departure for me, and I'm happy to talk about it as well as the creative process, how to get published, and a typical day in the life.  So stop by and ask away - I'll be here all week!  Love and thanks, L

Hey Lisa! Glad you're hear. Tell us what made you decide to write a different kind of book...
Bethanne 

0 Kudos

candeny6 wrote:

Hi Lisa!  First of all I have to say that I am pretty sure I am your biggest fan.  I've read all of your books and am half done with Look Again.  It is so different from all the others you have written.  I, also, am curious where you got the idea for this one. 

Are you planning to do any more books with the gals from Rosato & Associates?  I don't know that I could pinpoint a favorite book......

Candeny6, if you can't pinpoint a fave, do tell us what you like about "Look Again" so far...
Bethanne 

0 Kudos

Thanks so much for your kind comments and I'm so honored that you enjoyed the book!  Bottom line, I got the idea when I was driving my daughter home from college and a wacky thing happened.  The car was packed to the gills and on top was a mattress, a box spring, and a cheap red rug.  We set out for home and it starts pouring and by Connecticut, people are pointing and laughing.  The red rug leaked all over my white car and the mattresses - we looked like the bloodmobile!  Of course we laughed all the way home and I had such great time I told myself to hang onto that moment, because soon I'd have to let go of my daughter, and let her grow up and move away (you feed them, it happens).  Then it struck me that I didn't own her, I only loved her, and that is a completely different thing.  So when I got home, I started LOOK AGAIN, which has as its central question - who owns a child?

Wild, huh?

Author
Lisa_Scottoline

Thanks for the love and back at you!  Rosato & Company are back next book - good twin Bennie meets her evil twin Alice for a very uneasy dinner and by the end of the meal, Alice has drugged Bennie's drink and buried her underground!  Good vs. evil, with tomato sauce!  And will Mary find love - and her first house?  Stay tuned.  Same time, next year! Yay!
Contributor
Sidra
0 Kudos

Hi Lisa, I just started reading Look Again last night, and was having a hard time putting it down to go to bed. Of all my favorite writers, you are the only one that when I start to read your books, I can’t put them down.

I have now read all of your books, and now I have to wait until you write the next book. Luckily, I discovered your column Chick Wit in The Philadelphia Inquirer, and find them to be very funny. Thanks for the laughs.

I have done previous Barnes and Nobles book clubs with you, Killer Smile and Devils Corner when it was the Barnes and Nobles University. This is my first book club with the new format, and I am glad it is your book.

Sidra

Frequent Contributor
candeny6
0 Kudos

My prayers have been answered!  I've been hoping for a book centered on Bennie.  Yay!
Candi
Frequent Contributor
candeny6
0 Kudos

Bethanne wrote:

candeny6 wrote:

Candeny6, if you can't pinpoint a fave, do tell us what you like about "Look Again" so far...
Bethanne 

To be honest, I'm getting a little nervous about what's to come in Look Again.  Like I said earlier I'm about half done with it, but I'm a tad worried that she's going to get her heart broken.  I'm also suspicious of the lawyer that committed suicide and had the strange meetings written into her calendar book.

Perhaps Ellen just can't fight the instinct to find out the truth that comes from her being a reporter?

Candi
Frequent Contributor
kmensing
0 Kudos

I figured it was a "life lesson" for them to finally fend for themselves.  After all, they are 14, 18 & 21.....hehehe

M.E.

Bethanne wrote:

M.E., you cracked me up. When a book really grabs me as a reader, everything else goes by the wayside...completely understand your allowing the family to fend for themselves!
Bethanne 

Author
Lisa_Scottoline
0 Kudos

Hi Sidra, I remember you well from other book clubs!  Thanks for the nice words - my greatest hope is that people can't put it down, and that makes my day!  And glad you like the column, too - everyone can read it at my website, www.scottoline.com, under Weekly Column.  The voice is the same as in the books, so if you like one, you'll like the other.  And if you met me, you know it's all from the horse's mouth!  Neigh!!!  Come to a signing someday - I'm a B & N Freehold NJ tonight at 7:00 pm!  My signings are FUN!
Author
Lisa_Scottoline
0 Kudos

Candi, Thanks!  SAnd thanks for reading me, no matter who is the star!  I always write about strong, smart, sexy women - like US!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Author
Lisa_Scottoline
0 Kudos

Candi, What would you do?  Would you want to know the truth?  Could you ignore what you were seeing?  Hard to say, huh?  What do you all think?  The central question in LOOK AGAIN is if your child rightfully belonged to another family, would you keep him or would you give him up?

Contributor
WisdomSeekingWriter
0 Kudos

Hi, Lisa :smileyhappy:

I also have had the pleasure of being an audience to and communicating with you previously through B&N University (I really miss that wonderful tool :smileysad:).  The first book that I read of yours was Killer Smile.  The Italian tone to this interesting story is what hooked me!  My mother is an Italian native who met, fell in love with, and was brought to America by my American father (hailing from the state of Mississippi; imagine the culture shock!) who was an Air Force soldier stationed in her hometown.  They were married in Italy, had me :smileyhappy:, and returned to America when I was less than a month old.  Easy to see why I have a special love of all things Italian!

Now, my question to you:   Does Look Again have an Italian flavor?  I have not begun to read it yet as I will pick up my copy from our local library. 

Any other ideas that may lead to other books (outside of Rossato and Associates) highlighting Italian heritage? 

Mille Grazie!

WisdomSeekingWriter

Frequent Contributor
candeny6
0 Kudos

Lisa_Scottoline wrote:

Candi, What would you do?  Would you want to know the truth?  Could you ignore what you were seeing?  Hard to say, huh?  What do you all think?  The central question in LOOK AGAIN is if your child rightfully belonged to another family, would you keep him or would you give him up?

Holy smokes this book is FULL of suspense! I have never felt such anxiety with a book as I have with this one.  I just reached chapter 72 when Ellen is racing home, and I feel like my heart is going to pound out of my chest.  This one I am listening to via audiobook (so that I may read and crochet at the same time :smileyhappy:), and I'm loving Marcelo's (sp?) accent!

It's so hard to say what I might do in her situation.  Part of me would want to know, the other half wouldn't.  If I knew for sure I had someone else's child I think I would want to keep him, but at the same time I would think as the birth mother thinks. 

This is awesome chatting with you about this.  Are you not still doing the contests on your site anymore?  I used to enter all of them, and actually won one once.......At least I think so!  A package showed up on my doorstep one day a couple of years ago with a copy of Devil's Corner and a tote bag.  Obviously, you can see I've been following you for a few years and will continue to do so.  I had planned to attend a book signing a year or so ago near Pittsburgh, but the weather got bad and I didn't make it.  Any plans for coming to the area again?

Candi
Frequent Contributor
candeny6
0 Kudos

Nevermind my last comment.  I just looked and see you are coming back to Mystery Lover's on Allegheny Boulevard.  I just might have to come to that one.....
Candi
Frequent Contributor
kmensing
0 Kudos

I love the red carpet story. 

This book really grabbed me due to the fact that I have a family full of step kids, half siblings, foster children, adopted children, adopted foster children & of course the "I would rather live at your house" children (there isn't enough duck tape in the world to try to fix our family tree...hehe).  DNA is nothing in our family.  So the question "who owns a child"?  I guess our hearts own them forever, even though we have days where we won't claim them in public....hehehe!

Can't wait for the next book.

m.e.

Lisa_Scottoline wrote:

Thanks so much for your kind comments and I'm so honored that you enjoyed the book!  Bottom line, I got the idea when I was driving my daughter home from college and a wacky thing happened.  The car was packed to the gills and on top was a mattress, a box spring, and a cheap red rug.  We set out for home and it starts pouring and by Connecticut, people are pointing and laughing.  The red rug leaked all over my white car and the mattresses - we looked like the bloodmobile!  Of course we laughed all the way home and I had such great time I told myself to hang onto that moment, because soon I'd have to let go of my daughter, and let her grow up and move away (you feed them, it happens).  Then it struck me that I didn't own her, I only loved her, and that is a completely different thing.  So when I got home, I started LOOK AGAIN, which has as its central question - who owns a child?

Wild, huh?