Contributor
Sidra
0 Kudos

Re: Loved this book!

I am looking at this story from a different perspective. I was adopted, and the only family I know of is my adopted family. This story makes me think of "what if I could have been a child on a milk carton?" Yes, I know the fact I mentioned a milk carton kind of dates me :smileyhappy:

I really love this book :smileyvery-happy:

Sidra

kmensing wrote:

I love the red carpet story. 

This book really grabbed me due to the fact that I have a family full of step kids, half siblings, foster children, adopted children, adopted foster children & of course the "I would rather live at your house" children (there isn't enough duck tape in the world to try to fix our family tree...hehe).  DNA is nothing in our family.  So the question "who owns a child"?  I guess our hearts own them forever, even though we have days where we won't claim them in public....hehehe!

Can't wait for the next book.

m.e.

Lisa_Scottoline wrote:

Thanks so much for your kind comments and I'm so honored that you enjoyed the book!  Bottom line, I got the idea when I was driving my daughter home from college and a wacky thing happened.  The car was packed to the gills and on top was a mattress, a box spring, and a cheap red rug.  We set out for home and it starts pouring and by Connecticut, people are pointing and laughing.  The red rug leaked all over my white car and the mattresses - we looked like the bloodmobile!  Of course we laughed all the way home and I had such great time I told myself to hang onto that moment, because soon I'd have to let go of my daughter, and let her grow up and move away (you feed them, it happens).  Then it struck me that I didn't own her, I only loved her, and that is a completely different thing.  So when I got home, I started LOOK AGAIN, which has as its central question - who owns a child?

Wild, huh?

Frequent Contributor
candeny6
0 Kudos

Forgive me for continuing to post as I am finishing up the book.  I've made it to where Ellen is writing the article about losing Will.  This is absolutely heart-wrenching.  I have a 3-year-old son myself, and cannot imagine losing him like that.  I bawled like a baby!

I'm hoping she gets him back somehow.......

Candi
gl
Distinguished Correspondent
gl
0 Kudos

Thank you, Lisa!

[ Edited ]

Hi Lisa,

I don't have a question just yet but I wanted to write in and tell you that I love your books. 

My mother first introduced me to your books while I was living in Center City, just finishing up at UPenn Law and preparing for the NY Bar.   When things would get to be too much, I'd take a brief break and read a few chapters of one of your novels about those kick ass tough, amazing women lawyers in Philadelphia and think of how I so much wanted to be like them.   :smileyhappy:  It was really hard to stick to a few chapters - more often than not, I couldn't stop!

You are terrific!! A wonderful writer and a role model! :smileyhappy:

Gaby

Message Edited by gl on 05-05-2009 11:51 PM
Message Edited by gl on 05-05-2009 11:51 PM
Frequent Contributor
kmensing
0 Kudos

That's what I loved about this book---totally made me think "what if...."

m.e.

Sidra wrote:

I am looking at this story from a different perspective. I was adopted, and the only family I know of is my adopted family. This story makes me think of "what if I could have been a child on a milk carton?" Yes, I know the fact I mentioned a milk carton kind of dates me :smileyhappy:

I really love this book :smileyvery-happy:

Sidra

kmensing wrote:

I love the red carpet story. 

This book really grabbed me due to the fact that I have a family full of step kids, half siblings, foster children, adopted children, adopted foster children & of course the "I would rather live at your house" children (there isn't enough duck tape in the world to try to fix our family tree...hehe).  DNA is nothing in our family.  So the question "who owns a child"?  I guess our hearts own them forever, even though we have days where we won't claim them in public....hehehe!

Can't wait for the next book.

m.e.

Lisa_Scottoline wrote:

Thanks so much for your kind comments and I'm so honored that you enjoyed the book!  Bottom line, I got the idea when I was driving my daughter home from college and a wacky thing happened.  The car was packed to the gills and on top was a mattress, a box spring, and a cheap red rug.  We set out for home and it starts pouring and by Connecticut, people are pointing and laughing.  The red rug leaked all over my white car and the mattresses - we looked like the bloodmobile!  Of course we laughed all the way home and I had such great time I told myself to hang onto that moment, because soon I'd have to let go of my daughter, and let her grow up and move away (you feed them, it happens).  Then it struck me that I didn't own her, I only loved her, and that is a completely different thing.  So when I got home, I started LOOK AGAIN, which has as its central question - who owns a child?

Wild, huh?

Inspired Correspondent
Bethanne
0 Kudos

candeny6 wrote:

Forgive me for continuing to post as I am finishing up the book.  I've made it to where Ellen is writing the article about losing Will.  This is absolutely heart-wrenching.  I have a 3-year-old son myself, and cannot imagine losing him like that.  I bawled like a baby!

Candeny6, it's very hard to read, isn't it? Ellen Gleeson is so real -- is a mom like real moms I know (and am!), is a woman who loves her career, who dresses up for the cute guy in her life, etc., etc.
Lisa, I rarely see fictional protagonists who are both REAL *and* interesting, so kudos!
Bethanne 

Check out this week's Center Stage discussion!

See all upcoming discussions!

0 Kudos

Now you see why I finished it in 2 days. Absolutely had me on the edge of my seat & I could not put it down.

m.e.

candeny6 wrote:

Inspired Correspondent
Bethanne
0 Kudos

Sidra, so glad to see you here, and very interesting to hear how Lisa's book resonates with you personally. Don't worry about dating yourself, many of us here remember the milk cartons...

Bethanne 

Check out this week's Center Stage discussion!

See all upcoming discussions!

0 Kudos

I am in the process of reading the book right now. I will get back tomorrow how Lisa's book resonates with me personally. I know it will. Lisa, your books always brings some kind of feeling that affects me personally. That is why I love your writing.

Sidra

Bethanne wrote:

Sidra, so glad to see you here, and very interesting to hear how Lisa's book resonates with you personally. Don't worry about dating yourself, many of us here remember the milk cartons...

Bethanne 

Contributor
Sidra
0 Kudos

Writing Process

Lisa, thank you for your videos on your writing processes, etc on your web site. It is the best advise I have had on writing. I love your dog Little Tony!

Sidra

Author
Lisa_Scottoline
0 Kudos

Re: Hi to Bethanne and everybody!

Please do come Candi!!!!
Author
Lisa_Scottoline
0 Kudos

Your family sounds as unconventional as mine!! Ozzire and harriet is no more, if it ever existed!  (an old reference, sorry)
Contributor
Sidra
0 Kudos

Well, I am still reading the book, but I have enough to say what I feel about the subject of “What if….”

First of all, as a child, I know that you become attached to the person or situation that you are familiar with. The child would be affected by suddenly being put into another family, and taken away from the family they feel attached to. When I was in second grade, for some reason I was taken out of one class and put into another in the middle of the school year. I was so disoriented because the class was doing different work than the class I was in. I eventually was put back into the original class, and was much happier. I believe that it would be even harder for a child to be taken away from the person(s) they believe to be their parent(s).

As a parent, I think it would haunt me to have my child taken from me for the rest of my life. I really relate to the feelings of Ellen and the other mothers in the book so far. I think that this type of situation would be traumatic to anyone who had a child taken away, or the child who was taken from someone. I will write more later after I read some more……

Frequent Contributor
candeny6
0 Kudos

Re: Hi to Bethanne and everybody!

Lisa......I just finished and am sooooo glad it had a happy ending!  As I think I have already mentioned, I listed to the audiobook of Look Again.  I have found that listening to the audio version puts a lot more emotion and depth into the characters compared to reading it on paper.  I absolutely tore my heart out to hear Will crying for Ellen when he was being taken away.  I also loved the interview at the end.  I wanted to tell you, too, that Barbara Rosenblat that narrates your other books is phenominal!  Her voice is perfect, and adds to the setting in the Italian Philadelphia neighborhoods.

Back to Look Again.....I loved that you described the snow on the tops of the cars as being like mattresses, and I actually laughed out loud picturing you driving around with the red-soaked mattress on your car!

Is there a reason that Ellen's dad reacted the way he did upon discovering Will was gone?  I expected the sadness and grief, but the anger really shocked me.  I just didn't see it coming.  Ellen is such a strong woman for enduring all that she has been through.

Again, I think you did an excellent job writing this book.  I think you should write a little faster for the next book about Ms. Rosato because now you've got the impatient side of me in suspense.

See you next Saturday at Mystery Lover's!!!!!

Candi
Frequent Contributor
candeny6
0 Kudos

Sidra wrote:

As a parent, I think it would haunt me to have my child taken from me for the rest of my life. I really relate to the feelings of Ellen and the other mothers in the book so far. I think that this type of situation would be traumatic to anyone who had a child taken away, or the child who was taken from someone. I will write more later after I read some more……

Sidra, haunting would be the exact way to describe it.  I think it would be harder to go on with life knowing the child was out there than if some tragedy happened and I lost a child through death.  Not knowing if the child is happy or sad or missing you would break a heart right in half. 

Candi