Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Inspired Correspondent
Bethanne
Posts: 495
Registered: ‎10-24-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Lisa See, June 8-12 - SPOILER FOR SHANGHAI GIRLS


Lisa_See wrote:

Laura,

 

I like what you wrote about Pearl not having much sympathy or understanding for May's suffering as a mother. One of the criticisms I had from some early readers was that your didn't see enough about how May felt about being present in Joy's life.  But to me it was very clear: Pearl ignored how May felt. She chose not to see it.  And May, for her part, did what she could by throwing herself into work and exploration.

 

I have a question on a whole other point.  How do I get a piece of a post into my reply? 


Lisa, did Pearl ignore how May felt -- or was she punishing her?
Bethanne 

 

_______________________________________________________

Check out this week's Center Stage discussion!

See all upcoming discussions!

_______________________________________________________
Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady
Posts: 529
Registered: ‎11-05-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Lisa See, June 8-12 -

Hi Lisa, It is a pleasure to "meet" you!  I'm so sorry that I did not attend the other B&N boards which you were on - I don't know how I missed them.  I want to tell you how much I enjoyed Snowflower and was extremely excited to have gotten an ARC of Shanghai Girls.  What a tremendous novel.  My favorite this year.  I saw a sequel coming when I came to its conclusion and I look forward to continue Pearl's journey, perhaps finding Joy, both figuratively and literally.  I learn so much from your historical novels and will search out your mysteries as well.  Best of luck and continued success.
Lynda

"I think of literature.....as a vast country to the far borders of which I am journeying but will never reach."
The Uncommon Reader


"You've been running around naked in the stacks again, haven't you?"
"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

It is with books as with men; a very small number play a great part.
Voltaire
Frequent Contributor
seagate
Posts: 44
Registered: ‎10-19-2006

Re: Lisa See, June 8-12

Fate was a major theme running through this book  It is
interesting to note how fate played a role in the lives of the sisters.
I wonder if fate has to be accepted.  Each sister dealt with it in her 
own way.  Can you change your fate? Did they?
Seagate  
.






Wordsmith
Fozzie
Posts: 2,404
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Lisa See, June 8-12

Lisa, On page 47 of Shanghai Girls, at the end of the chapter titled A Cicada in a Tree, Pearl thinks about a story her mother used to tell. It ends: Three creatures --- the cicada, the mantis, and the oriole --- all coveted gains without being aware of the greater and inescapable danger that was coming. What is the origin of this story?
Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Wordsmith
kiakar
Posts: 3,435
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Lisa See, June 8-12

Lisa,

I am so happy there will be a sequel to Shanghai girls. That definitely thrills  me and I will anxiously await another wonderful book from you.   Linda W.

Frequent Contributor
CinderSueCB
Posts: 31
Registered: ‎03-02-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Lisa See, June 8-12

Helllloooooo Lisa!  And hello to Linda, Viv ... and is Debbie on?  I haven't been in the B&N site for so long, I couldn't remember my password!  yikes! 

 

Lisa ... it's so good to see you again.  I finished Shanghai Girls a few days ago.  I must say, I was really disappointed ... disappointed that it was the end!  What a great book!  I enjoyed Peony, but this was even better.  I can hardly wait for the next book ... will it be a continuation of Shanghai Girls?

 

I also didn't know you have written thrillers.  I will have to read all your books.  Does it matter what order one should read your books in?  I haven't read Snow Flower yet and was thinking maybe I should read that one next.

 

I was thrilled to see my name acknowledged, along with my pals, in this book.  We certainly had great discussions, didn't we?  That month we discussed Peony was the best time I've ever had in these book clubs.  I wish we could all attend your upcoming book signing/appearance in Lake Forest.  Debbie, Viv and Linda live to far away.  But I'll be there, Lisa.  I signed up and am really excited to see you in person.  :smileyhappy: This will be the first book signing I will have attended. 

 

I grew up with a sister and two older brothers, me being the oldest sister.  I actually was closest to my brother in high school.  My sister and I are completely opposite.  But as my family members started to get sick and die, we did become closer.  And, always, we knew we'd be there for eachother.  One thing is certain, no one can understand growing up together, the fun, the obstacles we may encounter, as a sister can.  I may laugh with my brother, but he doesn't giggle like my sister can.  Shanghai Girls is a great story of two sisters.  I can only imagine how challenging their journey in life was.  I'm glad they had eachother.

 

Looking forward to seeing you in Lake Forest!  :smileywink:

 

Cindy

Frequent Contributor
CinderSueCB
Posts: 31
Registered: ‎03-02-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Lisa See, June 8-12

I must ditto what Pen21 said.  I, personally, didn't know much about Chinese history.  Oh yes, I love to go to Chinatown.  Been to Washington's, and to Chicago's.  But I never knew the history.  Lisa, I love how you blend the history into your story. 

 

So, your g-grandfather had 4 wives?  How many children did he have?  I had a relative who was married twice.  Had 12 kids by the first, and 12 by his second.  My mom referred to the cousins as the "first dozen" and the "second dozen."  I was from the "second dozen."  I can't imagine 24 kids!  I have 4, and that's confusing enough.  Gets really noisy here!  LOL

 

Cindy

Frequent Contributor
CinderSueCB
Posts: 31
Registered: ‎03-02-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Lisa See, June 8-12

I wonder, Lisa, if you looked more Chinese would they have called you "lo fan?"  My brother is married to a black woman and they a son together.  He's 6, but he definately favors her side.  She has a white g-g-grandmother, but you wouldn't know it by looking at her. 
Author
Lisa_See
Posts: 35
Registered: ‎05-19-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Lisa See, June 8-12

Hi, Mary,

 

It was so fun to meet you in Philadelphia. That was my very first event for Shanghai Girls. I was very nervous. Now that I've been giving the talk one or two times a day I've gotten much better at it.

 

And thanks to everyone who explained who to do the quote post feature.

 

Lisa


seagate wrote:
Nice to see you here.. We share the page in the Shanghai Girls
acknowledgements.  That was such a wonderful experience , to
be able to share our ideas with Lisa for her book "in the making".
Two weeks ago I had the pleasure of meeting Lisa in Philadelphia
on her Book Tour. She is as exceptional a speaker as she is a writer
Lisa has a special gift and we are so fortunate she shares it with us.
Isn't her new book great !!!!  Good luck on the rest of your tour, 
Lisa.  

saegate (Mary)
.   


 

Author
Lisa_See
Posts: 35
Registered: ‎05-19-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Lisa See, June 8-12

Vivian,

 

I'm going to be doing a series of events in Oklahoma City on Sept. 16 & 17.  Larry, who you may know from the Google Group, has organized my visit.  Hope that's close to you.

 


vivico1 wrote:

Lisa,

Cindy from the Peony club asked me to tell you she is going to try to get in here tomorrow (Thursday) and say hi. She is camping right now and just finished Shanghai Girls and loved it. She is going to try hard to get to see you when you get to Chicago, well Lake Forest I think, the luncheon. We were saying how fun it would be to go to that together, but alas, I can't get to Chicago. If your Kansas City one was later in the year, I might try to get up there from here. That is the closest about any author gets to Oklahoma lol. Maybe I will get a chance on your next tour. Anyway, she would kill me if I didn't pass on her message lol.


 

Author
Lisa_See
Posts: 35
Registered: ‎05-19-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Lisa See, June 8-12 - SPOILER FOR SHANGHAI GIRLS

I think it was a little of both.  But what does everyone else think?

 

And while we're at it, what did people think about the difference between fu yen and yen fu?

 

Lisa, did Pearl ignore how May felt -- or was she punishing her?

Author
Lisa_See
Posts: 35
Registered: ‎05-19-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Lisa See, June 8-12 -

How fun that you got an ARC.  Some poeple -- lucky ones -- seem to be on the right list for those. I think they're a great way to get an early peek at new novels.

 

I like what you said about finding Joy -- both literally and figuratively.  hat do you think will happen to her? What should her path be?  I have my ideas, of course, but I'm curious what others think.


Carmenere_lady wrote:
Hi Lisa, It is a pleasure to "meet" you!  I'm so sorry that I did not attend the other B&N boards which you were on - I don't know how I missed them.  I want to tell you how much I enjoyed Snowflower and was extremely excited to have gotten an ARC of Shanghai Girls.  What a tremendous novel.  My favorite this year.  I saw a sequel coming when I came to its conclusion and I look forward to continue Pearl's journey, perhaps finding Joy, both figuratively and literally.  I learn so much from your historical novels and will search out your mysteries as well.  Best of luck and continued success.


 

Frequent Contributor
CinderSueCB
Posts: 31
Registered: ‎03-02-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Lisa See, June 8-12

Going on the journey with May and Pearl, I thought of my relationship with my sister.  It was interesting, too, how they each perceived situations they experienced.  It would be interesting to see what my sister would say about us growing up.  I can tell you my sister was the baby, cuddled on my mom's lap frequently, got out of doing chores because she was the youngest (even tho I did them at her age).  If we argued, she'd bite me, I'd tackle her to the ground (learned that from my brother), and even tho I had teeth marks on my arm, I'd get in trouble because she was the baby.  She took advantage of her "youth."  LOL

 

I am more outgoing than my sister.  She was more defiant than me after high school, I never wanted to disappoint my parents.  She was much more dependent on my mother.  I much more independent.  But we can each say that we were "close" to our mom.  I had a great relationship with my mom.

 

We each got married had children and got closer.  At different times, we each experienced the pain of a miscarriage.  I lost my baby at 12 weeks, and I called my mom a week or two after and was crying for the first time to my mom.  My mom said, "Cindy, get over it, it's time to get on with your life."  I felt like I got slapped in the face.  When my sister lost her baby, my mom moved in with her for a week. 

 

Within 10 years we lost my oldest brother, father and mother.  After my mother died, her husband asked her for a divorce.  I then became my mother to her.  After nearly 10 years of numerous phone calls a day, asking for money to pay bills and "advising," I finally said, I don't want to be your mother, I want to be your sister.  I didn't hear from her for almost a year, and it was the first time she missed a "family" holiday.  That tore at my heart.

 

As my brother and I grew up (I couldn't wear his pants anymore because I got hips!), I wish I was closer to my sister.  But we are too different.  My real "sister" is my best friend who lives in another state.  She knows all my "secrets," and I feel I can tell her anything.  I never had this kind of relationship with my own.  She's not envious of me.  The only thing we don't share is the past years growing up.  That, my real sister and I share.  And the laughter from family stores we share at the dinner table.  I do share the the love of genealogy with my friend.

 

I have my own relationship with each child.  And they have their own unique relationships with eachother.  I don't think I have a favorite amongst my four kids (3 girls and 1 boy).  But they do.  LOL   Sentimental, conscientious, driven, outgoing, sensitive, bullheaded, short, tall ... and the list goes on. 

 

Sorry if I've rambled ... Cindy

 

P.S..  and what about similar mannerisms you share, but you're "different" people?  LOL

Author
Lisa_See
Posts: 35
Registered: ‎05-19-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Lisa See, June 8-12

It's a traditional Chinese story. When I read it, I thought it perfectly fit May and Pearl's situation.  So often they were unaware of the dangers that awaited them. 
Fozzie wrote:
Lisa, On page 47 of Shanghai Girls, at the end of the chapter titled A Cicada in a Tree, Pearl thinks about a story her mother used to tell. It ends: Three creatures --- the cicada, the mantis, and the oriole --- all coveted gains without being aware of the greater and inescapable danger that was coming. What is the origin of this story?

 

Wordsmith
kiakar
Posts: 3,435
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Lisa See, June 8-12


CinderSueCB wrote:

Helllloooooo Lisa!  And hello to Linda, Viv ... and is Debbie on?  I haven't been in the B&N site for so long, I couldn't remember my password!  yikes! 

 

Lisa ... it's so good to see you again.  I finished Shanghai Girls a few days ago.  I must say, I was really disappointed ... disappointed that it was the end!  What a great book!  I enjoyed Peony, but this was even better.  I can hardly wait for the next book ... will it be a continuation of Shanghai Girls?

 

I also didn't know you have written thrillers.  I will have to read all your books.  Does it matter what order one should read your books in?  I haven't read Snow Flower yet and was thinking maybe I should read that one next.

 

I was thrilled to see my name acknowledged, along with my pals, in this book.  We certainly had great discussions, didn't we?  That month we discussed Peony was the best time I've ever had in these book clubs.  I wish we could all attend your upcoming book signing/appearance in Lake Forest.  Debbie, Viv and Linda live to far away.  But I'll be there, Lisa.  I signed up and am really excited to see you in person.  :smileyhappy: This will be the first book signing I will have attended. 

 

I grew up with a sister and two older brothers, me being the oldest sister.  I actually was closest to my brother in high school.  My sister and I are completely opposite.  But as my family members started to get sick and die, we did become closer.  And, always, we knew we'd be there for eachother.  One thing is certain, no one can understand growing up together, the fun, the obstacles we may encounter, as a sister can.  I may laugh with my brother, but he doesn't giggle like my sister can.  Shanghai Girls is a great story of two sisters.  I can only imagine how challenging their journey in life was.  I'm glad they had eachother.

 

Looking forward to seeing you in Lake Forest!  :smileywink:

 

Cindy


Hi! Cindy!  Long Time No See!  So its bowling, some other kind of ball, can't remember. Been doing that alot!  Not remembering , that is!  Yes, I remember the bowling but wasn't it another kind of ball also. Anyway I have stayed busy just shuffling around from room to room, getting out some. Been busy in my scrapbook club but it just doesn't seem to haveput a dent in my pictures and stuff to make the albums. :smileyhappy:

 

Isn't this book delicious! I can't wait for the second one.   Send me a note sometimes.

Wordsmith
kiakar
Posts: 3,435
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Lisa See, June 8-12


Lisa_See wrote:

Vivian,

 

I'm going to be doing a series of events in Oklahoma City on Sept. 16 & 17.  Larry, who you may know from the Google Group, has organized my visit.  Hope that's close to you.

 


vivico1 wrote:

Lisa,

Cindy from the Peony club asked me to tell you she is going to try to get in here tomorrow (Thursday) and say hi. She is camping right now and just finished Shanghai Girls and loved it. She is going to try hard to get to see you when you get to Chicago, well Lake Forest I think, the luncheon. We were saying how fun it would be to go to that together, but alas, I can't get to Chicago. If your Kansas City one was later in the year, I might try to get up there from here. That is the closest about any author gets to Oklahoma lol. Maybe I will get a chance on your next tour. Anyway, she would kill me if I didn't pass on her message lol.


 


Lisa; 

 

Can't you come to Virginia or some where close. I would drive miles to let you sign my book that you wrote. :smileysad:

Frequent Contributor
CinderSueCB
Posts: 31
Registered: ‎03-02-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Lisa See, June 8-12

Ah ha!  That's why you put this in your book about May and Pearl sitting at the table: 

 

 In my family, my son Chris always sits next to me in restaurants. Alexander always sits next to his dad.  There's a perception by them that this is because my husband and I always want to sit next to our most favorite child.  In fact, Chris and I sit next to each other because he's the youngest. 

 

I love it!

 

 

Author
Lisa_See
Posts: 35
Registered: ‎05-19-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Lisa See, June 8-12

I'm excited that we'll get to meet in person. I heard just yesterday that the Lake Forest event is almost sold out.  It should be a nice event.  I can't beleive that you haven't been to a book signing before. They're great fun and very informative.  I like going to them.  What I mean is, I like going to book events for my mom, who's a I feel like I learn a alot. I hope people that way about my book events.

 

The order for the mysteries is Flower Net, The Interior, and Dragon Bones.  They should be read in order, but most people don't for some reason.

 

I like what you wrote about sisters.  I wrote something similar here the other day.


CinderSueCB wrote:

Helllloooooo Lisa!  And hello to Linda, Viv ... and is Debbie on?  I haven't been in the B&N site for so long, I couldn't remember my password!  yikes! 

 

Lisa ... it's so good to see you again.  I finished Shanghai Girls a few days ago.  I must say, I was really disappointed ... disappointed that it was the end!  What a great book!  I enjoyed Peony, but this was even better.  I can hardly wait for the next book ... will it be a continuation of Shanghai Girls?

 

I also didn't know you have written thrillers.  I will have to read all your books.  Does it matter what order one should read your books in?  I haven't read Snow Flower yet and was thinking maybe I should read that one next.

 

I was thrilled to see my name acknowledged, along with my pals, in this book.  We certainly had great discussions, didn't we?  That month we discussed Peony was the best time I've ever had in these book clubs.  I wish we could all attend your upcoming book signing/appearance in Lake Forest.  Debbie, Viv and Linda live to far away.  But I'll be there, Lisa.  I signed up and am really excited to see you in person.  :smileyhappy: This will be the first book signing I will have attended. 

 

I grew up with a sister and two older brothers, me being the oldest sister.  I actually was closest to my brother in high school.  My sister and I are completely opposite.  But as my family members started to get sick and die, we did become closer.  And, always, we knew we'd be there for eachother.  One thing is certain, no one can understand growing up together, the fun, the obstacles we may encounter, as a sister can.  I may laugh with my brother, but he doesn't giggle like my sister can.  Shanghai Girls is a great story of two sisters.  I can only imagine how challenging their journey in life was.  I'm glad they had eachother.

 

Looking forward to seeing you in Lake Forest!  :smileywink:

 

Cindy


 

Author
Lisa_See
Posts: 35
Registered: ‎05-19-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Lisa See, June 8-12

He had twelve children.  Five with the first family; 7 with the second.  The last was born when he was in his nineties!  That wife, his third, was only 16 when they were married.  He was in his sixties.
CinderSueCB wrote:

So, your g-grandfather had 4 wives?  How many children did he have?  I had a relative who was married twice.  Had 12 kids by the first, and 12 by his second.  My mom referred to the cousins as the "first dozen" and the "second dozen."  I was from the "second dozen."  I can't imagine 24 kids!  I have 4, and that's confusing enough.  Gets really noisy here!  LOL

 

Cindy


 

Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Lisa See, June 8-12

OH MY GOSH! Are you serious??? Man, I need to get back in the google group and read what you got going on! I just never saw it on your events list! YES I am close to OKC and YES I will be there! too cool. I am excited. Ok, I will check it out and put it on my schedule now! It will be great to meet you in person Lisa. I may bring a friend of mine with me who I have told about your books. We do something together once a month, so this could be our September get together. She lives in OKC. Thanks for letting me know that!

 


Lisa_See wrote:

Vivian,

 

I'm going to be doing a series of events in Oklahoma City on Sept. 16 & 17. Larry, who you may know from the Google Group, has organized my visit. Hope that's close to you.

 


vivico1 wrote:

Lisa,

Cindy from the Peony club asked me to tell you she is going to try to get in here tomorrow (Thursday) and say hi. She is camping right now and just finished Shanghai Girls and loved it. She is going to try hard to get to see you when you get to Chicago, well Lake Forest I think, the luncheon. We were saying how fun it would be to go to that together, but alas, I can't get to Chicago. If your Kansas City one was later in the year, I might try to get up there from here. That is the closest about any author gets to Oklahoma lol. Maybe I will get a chance on your next tour. Anyway, she would kill me if I didn't pass on her message lol.


 


 

 

Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb