Inspired Correspondent
Bethanne
0 Kudos

Lora Leigh, September 7-11

[ Edited ]

September starts off here at Center Stage even hotter than August finished! Please welcome erotic romance author Lora Leigh to our forum. Her latest novel is Bengal's Heart, but she'll be here to chat about her many other books, too.

Lora Leigh lives in the rolling hills of Kentucky, often found absorbing the ambience of this peaceful setting. She dreams in bright, vivid images of the characters intent on taking over her writing life, and fights a constant battle to put them on the hard drive of her computer before they can disappear as fast as they appeared.

Lora's family, and her writing life co-exist, if not in harmony, in relative peace with each other. Surrounded by a menagerie of pets, friends, and a teenage son who keeps her quick wit engaged, Lora's life is filled with joys, aided by her fans whose hearts remind her daily why she writes.

Check out this week's Center Stage discussion!

See all upcoming discussions!

0 Kudos

Re: Lora Leigh, September 7-11

[ Edited ]

Center Stage: Tell us about how your new novel fits in with OR stands out from your body of work/previous work.

Lora Leigh: Bengal's Heart stands out in a way that gives insight to the series as a whole, as well as the Bengal breeds in particular. You begin to see more of the unique qualities that the different species of breeds possess, starting with the Bengals. Bengal's Heart also brings you closer to the mystery that is Jonas Wyatt as well as deeper into secrecy surrounding many of the breeds that had escaped years before.

Bengal's Heart, I hope, is a good stand alone read, one that readers can enjoy without having read the rest of the series. It's also one that I believe pulls you further into the breed world and the mysteries that surround it. 

CS: What's the most interesting thing a reader has ever asked you?

LL: The most interesting I believe is the reader that asked me where I get the ideas for my male heroes, because she had never met a man like the ones she had read in my books. I lot of the ideas come from an intense love of reading human interest articles and my need to come to terms with reality I think. There's a whole lot of ugly in the world, and sometimes I need to find a reason, or a way to fix reality within my own mind. Writers write for a lot of different reasons. I write quickly because I love reader satisfaction and how excited they get. I write for the readers, but I also write to find an explanation or a happy ending to the 'ugly'. I don't see resolutions in real life often enough to suit me. 

CS: What's the one thing no one has ever asked you that you are dying to make known?

LL: I don't think anyone has ever asked me why I write, and write so quickly. It's for the love. The love the readers have for the books, the characters, and the plots that they read. Not just my own books, but all the books they read. Sometimes I wonder if readers really know the influence they have a writer with such emails? That when they write and tell me what they saw, what they felt, the questions that came up and the insights that they have, if they know they burst of energy that gives to my imagination. I love it, and I always look forward to it.

I've always written with one thing in mind. To make the reader feel what I  feel as I see it in my head. That's always my objective. Because if they do, then  they enjoy the story, some will even love it. And that love of the book and those characters fills me with a joy that I don't anywhere else.

CS: Which book do you wish you had written?

LL: Anything by Linda Howard. She's my favorite author, and she has been since I first started reading romances. There's no one particular character that I want to see a book written on. I have several favorite writers, but I think my favorite will always be a Linda Howard novel. Her books always, even to this day, draw me completely into the world she creates. She made me realize I wanted to write, because I wanted to make others feel what she made me feel as I read her books. I wanted to provide for others the escape she gave me at a time when I really needed to escape.

CS: What would you be if you weren't a writer?

LL: Very very bored. Being a writer is the greatest adventure of my life. I couldn't imagine having never taken this journey. My books, my characters and the lives they lead give me balance, and a center within my own life and struggles. It gives me purpose, pleasure, and satisfaction. I don't what I would be without it. 

0 Kudos

Lora --

I have enjoyed The Breeds series and eagerly await each new one.  Thanks for giving me so much reading pleasure.

New User
SashaC
0 Kudos

I would like to start off by saying that I love your books and can not wait to read your newest.

I have been reading romance novels since before I knew that most of the things in them were possible and I was wondering if you ever thought about the unrealistic image of the sexual relationship between a man and a woman that is depicted in all romances?  In most romance novels/erotic fiction the main couple’s sexual experiences are mindblowing from the very beginning even if the woman was a virgin. Do you ever worry that you may be reinforcing this false image with your books?

Sasha C.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I am so excited to see you here! And how cool that you are a fan of Linda Howard's books, too -- I've read all of hers, and all of yours, too. Well, except HEAT SEEKER, which just arrived the other day and I haven't had a chance to read it yet. I love the Breeds books, but I think my overall favorite is WILD CARD. Something about that book just got me -- plus I thought it was extremely well written. 

Wild Card

I looked for you at Lori Foster's event but didn't manage to meet you. Hopefully, next year!

I'm glad you seem to enjoy your work, because I hope to read a lot more of your books!

Blogger
Michelle_Buonfiglio
0 Kudos

Hi, Lora!  I'm with Becke; I think we all were scoping you out at the Lori Foster Readers/Writers Get Together. Hope we'll see you there next June!

One of my best girlfriends turned me onto your e-books a few years ago -- introduced me to Ellora's Cave at the same time. Early into my romance reading, I was amazed by your combining eroticism with couples finding relational intimacy and commitment.

Now, we're all crazed for your Breeds!  And the whole "mating heat" thing is ridiculously hot.

What do your readers tell you is the reason they find the "mating heat" and partners' 'animal need' for one another so sexy in books about two folks ultimately committing to one another?

-- Michelle Buonfiglio  (BN.com's H2H)

Correspondent
JalMor77
0 Kudos

Hi Lora,

I absolutely LOVED Loving Lies and was wondering if you plan on writing stories for Jazz and Zack?

Jalana

Loving Lies

We cannot really love anybody with whom we never laugh. - Agnes Repplier
0 Kudos

Lora, you've got a great lineup of readers here already. We're looking forward to hearing from you!

My question: What kind of input do you have on your covers? I think the cover of Bengal's Heart is not just slick, but also adds to the book's atmosphere (if that makes any sense!).

Thanks!

Bethanne, your fearless moderator

0 Kudos

Re: Lora Leigh, September 7-11/ More Lora Leigh at BN.com

After you hang here at Center Stage, get more Lora Leigh @ BN.com's Unabashedly Bookish where we're chatting about why Lora's  deliciously alpha heroes turn us on.  Please check out  "Sexy Beasts" and let us know why you love Lora -- and why chicks dig those beastly Breeds, Nauti Boys, Elite Operatives and others...

-- Michelle (BN.com's Heart to Heart romance blog)

Author
Lora-Leigh
0 Kudos

Hi Sasha, wow, thats a hard question. I remember when I first started reading romances at age 14. Even then, the emotions

and so forth were more than what I found in real life for a long time. I don't remember stressing over that. I remember when

I finally felt the emotions and feelings that I read about though, that I had an ah ha moment. So that's what its all about type thing.

As women, I think romance readers know that its not always like that, but the fantasy is what we're here for. When I read and

when I write, for me, its the fantasy, the adventure, and the reality of it isn't what I always want to think about. But you've definitely

given me something to think about with your question.

Author
Lora-Leigh
0 Kudos

Hi Holly, thank you so much for enjoying my books and for letting me know it. For me, the pleasure the readers find in reading my books keeps me going. I'm especially fond of the Breeds as well, and I'm glad they've found a place in your heart and on your bookshelf.

Lora

Author
Lora-Leigh
0 Kudos

<I think my overall favorite is WILD CARD.>

Hi Becke, Wild Card I have to admit, is one of my favorites as well. I'm so glad you enjoyed it. That book saw a lot of my tears as I

went through it. The characters broke my heart more than once.

Author
Lora-Leigh
0 Kudos

Michelle, I think there are a lot of different reasons why readers find that so sexy. I think a lot of it centers around the idea that there

truly is just one mate and no other will do. That feeling that in all the world, that one man or that one woman, is going to be happy

with no one but their own mate. I know in the center of it all, that's one of the reasons I so enjoy writing it.

I'm glad you enjoy the breeds, and very glad that you find the books ridiculously hot.  I hope you continue to enjoy them.

Author
Lora-Leigh
0 Kudos

JalMor, Yes, Jazz and Zach are definitely getting their stories told. St. Martins has accepted the next two books in this series and I'm really looking forward to writing them. Jazz's book I know is going to be a laugh a minute for me. He's so playful, and yet there's this dark core inside him that no one ever suspects. And he's the ultimate playful liar when it comes to teasing and seducing his heroine.

I hope you enjoy him when he finally arrives.

Author
Lora-Leigh
0 Kudos

Bethanne, actually, I do have some input on my covers. My publishers are always willing to listen to my ideas. I remember one cover we went through three different tries based on my and my readers feelings on the cover we began with. I have several friends that always willingly give me their opinions and their advice is always appreciated. But for the most part, the covers always seem to match my own imagination. So I've never had a problem with it.
Inspired Correspondent
Bethanne
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Lora, thank you for your answers. So glad to hear that you do have input on your covers. 

Bethanne

0 Kudos

Hi Lora!  LOVE ur books!! Have read the Breeds & our Phoenix team guys as well as the Nauti Boys & the Bound Hearts series!!!!I look forward to Jonas' book, also.  Can  u say when Cassie's book will  be coming out? I want to thank u for giving us such rich characters whom u want to know as well as care about.  Lisa.