Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
Bethanne
0 Kudos

Re: Maeve Binchy, March 30-April 3

sgregg88 wrote:

Bethanne wrote:

sgregg88 wrote:
For those of you in this discussion, what are some of the things that happen in this novel that delighted you? That made you angry? That made you cry?
sgregg88, I'm so glad you asked this to the group. I'll tell everyone one thing that delighted me -- the reappearance of those wonderfully odd twins, Maude and Simon. I hope Maeve Binchy writes an entire novel focusing on them in the future. 

Bethanne,

I had the same thought!

shelby

Shelby,
Great minds and all that...I can't resist the twins' mad, back-and-forth dialogue. I also love Muttie.

Check out this week's Center Stage discussion!

See all upcoming discussions!

0 Kudos

Good Tuesday morning, everyone! I just wanted to let you know that Maeve Binchy has had a bit of technical trouble and that's why she hasn't appeared on Center Stage yet. She'll be here today, and I know we'll all be happy to read her responses to questions already asked. Now is a great opportunity to ask more!

Bethanne 

Check out this week's Center Stage discussion!

See all upcoming discussions!

0 Kudos

I am just now into Chapter 2 of Heart and Soul. I am so glad that Clara is honest. She is honest about her children and 1 daughter who wants to sponge off of her. At last, a woman who is NOT thrilled with the way her children turned out even though she loves them. How often have we been disappointed in our own children and our parents have been disappointed in us!
Karen

"Every burned book enlightens the world."
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Frequent Contributor
KCHaughawout
0 Kudos

Question for Ms. Binchy-

Since working for the Irish Times, how hard was it for you to switch from Journalism Reporting type writing over into fiction? 

Karen

Ralph Waldo Emerson
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Bethanne wrote:

becke_davis wrote:
I've read all but Maeve Binchy's most recent books, and those are in my TBR pile.  It would be very difficult to choose a favorite, but I would have to put The Copper Beech, The Lilac Bus, Tara Road and Circle of Friends near the top.
Becke, I highly recommend Scarlet Feather. And Quentins! But really, Circle of Friends is still near the top of my list. 

I've read both of those, and I agree, they were really good.  I haven't read Nights of Rain and Stars, Heart and Soul or Whitethorn Woods, but two of those three are in my TBR pile.  I've read most of the short stories she's written too.

Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

KCHaughawout wrote:
I am just now into Chapter 2 of Heart and Soul. I am so glad that Clara is honest. She is honest about her children and 1 daughter who wants to sponge off of her. At last, a woman who is NOT thrilled with the way her children turned out even though she loves them. How often have we been disappointed in our own children and our parents have been disappointed in us!

KC, this is so true. Everyone thinks I am being partial to my three daughters but they worked so hard from day one on grades, job after school and great families now and I praise them for it but my son, the youngest is 39 and still a spoiled brat who has gotten no where. But of course to hear him or his dad he is the greatest. Yes, he is the greatest, but I want say what of. So I do not say any praise about his life, I try to be loving to him but if that subject comes up I do not lie. I have never found alot to praise him about. I have faced the fact he is spoiled down to the core and of course he has been in all kinds of trouble also. I know Clara had trouble with her girls but to me boys spoil so much quicker. But I guess it just depends on circumstances.

New User
MargaretD
0 Kudos

Ms Binchy- I enjoyed the Scarlett Feather, Whitethorn Woods, Nights of Rain & Stars. My favorite was Quentins. I look forward to Heart & Soul.

I discovered you after I read all of Rosemunde Pilchers books back in 2003. I have steadily been reading all of your books since.

Thank You!

Margaret

New User
Ann77
0 Kudos

I recognized Maeve Binchy from the Ireland magazine I once read.  I just discovered she writes books.  I want to read the new book Heart and Soul, but since she's using past characters maybe it would be best that I start from the beginning. I wouldn't want to miss anything. 

Could someone please suggest which books and in what order I should read them before I read the Heart and Soul?

Frequent Contributor
KCHaughawout
0 Kudos

Here is the order they were published in.

Light a Penny Candle

Echoes

London Transports

The Lilac Bus

Firefly Summer

Silver Wedding

Circle of Friends

The Copper Beech

The Glass Lake

This Year It Will be Different

Evening Class

The Return Journey

Tara Road

Scarlet Feather

Quentins

Night Of Rain and Stars

Whitehorn Woods

I don't think it's necessary for you to read them in order. Typing this list, there are some I haven't read yet. However, Light a Penny Candle, Firefly Summer, The Copper Beech, Scarlet Feather, and Tara Road seem to be everyone's favorites. I would try to read those I mentioned first before reading Heart and Soul.

Karen

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Author
Maeve_Binchy
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Thank you so much for writing in. Glad you like Clara character so far! You ask was it hard to go from journalism to fiction. Not really when I was in the newspaper I often made a point by writing case histories of people to illustrate problems. The good thing is  that being a journalist helps you to get the work finished in time. You HAVE to in a newspaper. Thank you again for getting in touch.

KCHaughawout wrote:

Message Edited by Maeve_Binchy on 03-31-2009 04:04 PM
Author
Maeve_Binchy
0 Kudos

I was thrilled that you said I was a weaver and that you liked the stitches. I was always hopeless at needlework so this is a real compliment.

I hope you will come to Ireland one day.You will love it!

kiakar wrote:
Oh! yes! she is definitely one of my favorite writers of all times. It seems she weaves instead of writes her novels. Every stitch is placed just right with smooth handiwork that endures for you forever. Light my penny candle was definitely a change in my reading material. She roped me right end and I delved into each one of her following novels with a raveous appetite. Maeve had me wishing so much I could visit Ireland with her vivid descriptions of the people and the fabuous landscape. We are definitely in for a luxious treat.

Author
Maeve_Binchy
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I love this question. I was once a school teacher so I like to try and teach something to everyone! I so want people to know that we make our own happiness.There are no magic rescues and cures. We have to be positive and take control  of our own lives. Being thin doesn’t work magic nor does being rich or married. Look about and note the unhappy, thin, married rich people in the world! These are not the solutions. So my heroines never have makeovers they just look at life differently.  

Darendt44 wrote:

Dear Maeve Binchy,

I first came upon your work via a serialization of Light a Penny Candle in Redbook magazine. It had such an impact on me that I remember reading it to this day. That was many years ago, but I've since followed all your novels and once read that you are a constant observer of people. You have incorporated your ability to observe the human condition so wonderfully in your books, and I was wondering, what, if anything, you would most like your readers to learn from your books?

DA

Message Edited by Maeve_Binchy on 03-31-2009 04:05 PM
Author
Maeve_Binchy
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Thanks for your kind words. No, they are not real people. My father was a lawyer and he always warned me never to put a real person in a book or we would be paying the litigation for ever! So I take little aspects of people like say meanness. I knew a woman thirty years ago who ALWAYS told you how much everything cost. I took that aspect of her and put it into the pharmacist in Heart and Soul, a good person but one who talked incessantly about bargains.

So I stole one little trait not the whole personality.

DONNAJG24 wrote:

I have been a fan of Ms. Binchy's work for many years. She did not disappoint with Heart and Soul. Her characters are so lifelike, making you feel that if you were to go to Ireland you could actually meet them. Reading her books makes me want to go to Ireland!! I guess my question for her would be how does she come up with the characters? Are their characteristics taken from actual people in her life or people that she has come across over her travels?

I look forward to discussing Heart and Soul over the next few days.

Thanks!!

Donna Ruggles

Message Edited by Maeve_Binchy on 03-31-2009 04:06 PM
Author
Maeve_Binchy
0 Kudos

I believe you write best about the kind of places you actually do  know. I DO know Greece well and Australia and Morocco so maybe one day. I’m so pleased  that you like my writing.

sgregg88 wrote:

Ms. Binchy,

Like many others, your novels and short stories have captured my heart and imagination. I eagerly look forward to each new book - the joy of the new characters and often a return to a favourite old character woven in. It makes Dublin seem like such a small place in that way, although those who live there might not think so.

I began reading your books in the mid 90's while at University and you painted such a vivid picture of Ireland that it was one of the reasons I obtained a work visa and moved to Dublin in 1999, spending a year working in a hotel in the city. It's been one of the highlights, and I understand how the country can inspire one to write about the people.

Although many characters in your books have travelled or come from other countries, most of your books take place in Ireland. Have there been other places you have travelled that you hope to be able to set your books in - similar to Greece in Nights of Rain and Stars?

Warmly,

Shelby

Author
Maeve_Binchy
0 Kudos

Very pleased that you enjoyed Copper Beech and Lilac Bus. These are two of my favourites also.

I always think Copper Beech would make a nice television series but we can only wait and hope.

Do you like short stories?  I do. But most people prefer big long novels.

becke_davis wrote:
I've read all but Maeve Binchy's most recent books, and those are in my TBR pile.  It would be very difficult to choose a favorite, but I would have to put The Copper Beech, The Lilac Bus, Tara Road and Circle of Friends near the top.

Author
Maeve_Binchy
0 Kudos

You are kind to say its a gift. Honestly I think that if we all wrote exactly as we talked, which I do, its easy to make people share your story.

When I was much younger I used to try to impress people but not now. I just pretend I am writing a letter to a friend and it seems to work.

momgee wrote:

Well, now if you're talking favorites, I think mine would be Light a Penny Candle and then Tara Rd, Scarlet Feather, Quentins. Okay, actually I've loved every one she has written. Such incredibly enjoyable characters, descriptions of settings and plot lines. It is hard to think these are just fictional characters. What a wonderful gift Ms. Binchy has. Storytelling at it's finest.

becke_davis wrote:

momgee wrote:

Well, now if you're talking favorites, I think mine would be Light a Penny Candle and then Tara Rd, Scarlet Feather, Quentins. Okay, actually I've loved every one she has written. Such incredibly enjoyable characters, descriptions of settings and plot lines. It is hard to think these are just fictional characters. What a wonderful gift Ms. Binchy has. Storytelling at it's finest.

becke_davis wrote:

Author
Maeve_Binchy
0 Kudos

Like most authors Krissy my favourite book is my most recent book. That  is because its the most familiar. My mind is still full of the people in Heart and Soul and I wonder what will happen to them all.

The best novel I NEVER wrote? I would love to write a  thriller, a real nervy anxiety creating thriller. I love reading them but I cant imagine I could write one  

Krissy519 wrote:

Ms. Binchy,

I have loved your writing style since I read my first Binchy book and then I was hooked. You are the only author that pulls me into the story. Anytime I read one of your novels, I feel like all the characters are my friends, and I am living the story myself. Quite an accomplishment.

So, I must thank you for bringing so much joy to so many people, and taking us places around the world we may never see but through your eyes.

My question for you is: What is your favorite book that you have penned, and your favorite that you have not?

Thanks for all you have given us.

Kris

New User
irishgrl5
0 Kudos

I have enjoyed reading Maeve's books over the years and always wondered if she knew about a Dutch film called "Italian for Beginners", which follows her novel "Evening Class" to the letter, but it doesn't give her any reference in the credits.  When I went to see the film with some friends, I couldn't figure out why I knew the story and about 1/2 way through realized it was the same story as Maeve Binchy's novel.  I wish we could see some more of her novels as movies!!
New User
cmh926
0 Kudos

Ms. Binchy,

I just wanted to thank you for writing such wonderful books. I've enjoyed all of your books - my favorites that always comes to mind are "Glass Lake and Whitethorn Woods."  I thoroughly enjoyed "Heart and Soul". I could not put it down and did not want it to end. I always feel so connected to the characters of the book as if I am there with them. When will the book you are currently working on be released? I can't wait!

Christine

Frequent Contributor
Redcatlady
0 Kudos

sgregg88 wrote:

Bethanne wrote:

sgregg88 wrote:
For those of you in this discussion, what are some of the things that happen in this novel that delighted you? That made you angry? That made you cry?
sgregg88, I'm so glad you asked this to the group. I'll tell everyone one thing that delighted me -- the reappearance of those wonderfully odd twins, Maude and Simon. I hope Maeve Binchy writes an entire novel focusing on them in the future. 

Bethanne,

I had the same thought!

shelby

So did I!

Redcatlady