Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Author
MegCabot
Posts: 89
Registered: ‎08-06-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Meg Cabot: The Books


BellaCullen44 wrote:

Hi meg I hope your doing well.First I want to tell you that I love your YA books.Your an amazing writer.

I wanted to ask you which one of your books was the most fun to write and why?


Well, thanks!  I can't really say I liked writing any of my books more than all the others, but I do have a great time writing my new series, Allie Finkle's Rules For Girls.  Going back to 4th grade is really fun!  I never thought I'd say that, because there aren't any proms or kissing when you're 9 (or there shouldn't be, anyway)--but I love it!  Writing the latest installment, THE NEW GIRL, was great, but the new book, BEST FRIENDS AND DRAMA QUEENS, which comes out in March, was maybe the most fun I ever had writing a book!  I think because I writing about something that really happened to me in the 4th grade--about a super mean girl--and it was very cathartic!
 
Thanks for writing! 
 
Hope that helps!
 
Love,
 
Meg 

 

Contributor
Boothy
Posts: 7
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Meg Cabot: The Books


Regarding Robin McKinley, are you talking about her book Chalice? I've got an ARC of that in my TBR pile- it looks REALLY good! I'd never heard of Robin before, so this'll be my introduction to her. I'm sure I'll love it.
Contributor
Junes
Posts: 8
Registered: ‎02-20-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Meg Cabot: The Books

Hi Again, Meg.

 

I posted this on the other subject and realized it might have been the wrong place so I'm putting it here. 

Can you tell us a little about "Ransom My Heart"? I know it's historical, can you tell us what time period or location?

 

Hope all is well in Key West--

 

Best,

June S

Ordinary Me--March 2008
www.junesproat.com
Author
MegCabot
Posts: 89
Registered: ‎08-06-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Meg Cabot: The Books


Boothy wrote:

Regarding Robin McKinley, are you talking about her book Chalice? I've got an ARC of that in my TBR pile- it looks REALLY good! I'd never heard of Robin before, so this'll be my introduction to her. I'm sure I'll love it.
Yes, Chalice!  That looks good!

 

Author
MegCabot
Posts: 89
Registered: ‎08-06-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Meg Cabot: The Books


Junes wrote:

Hi Again, Meg.

 

I posted this on the other subject and realized it might have been the wrong place so I'm putting it here. 

Can you tell us a little about "Ransom My Heart"? I know it's historical, can you tell us what time period or location?

 

Hope all is well in Key West--

 

Best,

June S


Things here are great, June!  Well, the power went out for like twenty minutes  and I nearly lost my mind but it's all good now.
 
Anyway, thanks for asking, but I can't tell you anything about Ransom My Heart!  There's going to be a press release soon, and I can't say anything about it until that goes out.  Sorry!
 
Love,
Meg 

 

Author
MegCabot
Posts: 89
Registered: ‎08-06-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Meg Cabot: The Books


Boothy wrote:

Regarding Robin McKinley, are you talking about her book Chalice? I've got an ARC of that in my TBR pile- it looks REALLY good! I'd never heard of Robin before, so this'll be my introduction to her. I'm sure I'll love it.
Oh, and I meant to say, if you haven't read her book BEAUTY, you are really missing out.  It's the best re-telling of the Beauty and the Beast story EVER!
 
Meg 

 

New User
Ballerina222
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎09-09-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Meg Cabot: The Books

Hey Meg!

I am a huge fan of your books, and also with your blog. I totally agree with you about the Britney bashing, she was just too indulged as a child, her parents are total stage parents.

 

Anyway I was wondering if you could give me some advice, I messed up my knee and had to have surgery a little while ago. I'm on crutches so I obviously can't dance for a good couple of months, as you can probably guess I am seriously going out of my mind with nothing to do (parent's don't believe in cable television...) Do you have any new books that you have read that are amazing? Or any good music? Pretty much the time I'm not doing homework I have nothing to do, I've read a lot of the books out there and am looking for something new...Or any other ideas that you have just to pass time...

 

Good luck on your tour, you're so lucky to be able to go to all those amazing places!!!! 

New User
lizziejames
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎09-08-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Meg Cabot: The Books

Hi Meg,

 

I just wanted to take this opportunity to tell you how much I enjoy all of your books.  You have made a thirty something girl a YA reader again!

 

There are two questions I wanted to ask you about your writing habits...

How many words or pages do you write a day?

Do you edit chapter by chapter or wait until the end?

 

The shoes you are waiting for are so cute.  I hope you get them in time for your tour.

 

Thank you for your wonderful stories!!

 

Lizzie

New User
Lili
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎09-08-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Meg Cabot: The Books

[ Edited ]

I've wrote accidentally 2 messages, the right one it's the other..

Message Edited by Lili on 09-09-2008 07:22 PM
New User
Lili
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎09-08-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Meg Cabot: The Books

Hi there!

 

It's really great to know that you're really going to come to Rio next year!

 

Just to say thanks one more time for all your books!

And to give you a little note in portuguese:

 

Eba! Você realmente vai vir! Mal posso esperar! Te vejo em pouco tempo então! Beijão de uma grande fan!!

 

Até,

 

Kisses,

Lili

New User
PippiForPresident
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎09-09-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Meg Cabot: The Books

Fantastic recommendation. That book was one of my favorites when I was younger, particularly the description of "Beauty's Room." I mean who DOESN'T want a magical room filled with books that does whatever you tell it to?

 

Hi Meg. Big fan, older reader who follows your YA stuff out of great love for the genre. Also, a winner of a fabulous Airhead t-shirt that I wear when I bartend and constantly get asked about. Often, girls appear confused when I tell them it's a book and not a life motto.

 

But anyway.

 

Your stuff is fantastic and I love that you're great at taking stuff little girls fantasize about and turning it into well-written and funny stuff to read. Come to New Orleans on a book tour sometime, eh? Even J.K. Rowling put us on her schedule. Plus, I will personally buy you a few martinis and some food that's both awesome and gluten-free.

 

 Looking forward to the next Airhead and to the release of the last Princess Diaries book.

New User
Leeny
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎09-09-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Meg Cabot: The Books

Hi Meg! I am an avid reader of yours and am on the message boards on your site! You also sent me a UK version of How to Be Popular last year for which I thank you a lot! I adored all of your books, but Airhead has to be my favorite! I love it! Keep on writing! We all love you! 

 

Leeny 

Frequent Contributor
BellaCullen44
Posts: 163
Registered: ‎09-02-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Meg Cabot: The Books

Hi Meg,I'm wondering if you have any advice for young writers.What do you think of the twilight series by.Stephenie Meyer?Thanks.

I Love Edward Cullen! Sparkle Sparkle.

Dear Jacob.I Win.Sincerly,Edward
New User
lve2write
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎09-09-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Meg Cabot: The Books

Hi!

First, I love your books - I tend to read them all in one sitting.

Second, I have a question about your particular initial process. Once you get an idea (and does that idea spontaneously pop into your mind when you see or hear something) do you think it over for awhile and let it grow into its own book idea, or do you cultivate it your own way - immediately write down the idea and then start planning characters, places, etc? For how long and how do you plan a book and its characters before you actually start physically writing on the computer? Also, in terms of characters and plots, which do you usually start with? A character or the plot/story? Does it depend on the book? I hope these questions make sense.

 

I love to write and have been doing so for the past seven years or so. I don't really want to publish yet, since I'm only in college and would like to be a student for awhile longer before I embark on anything else. Does that make sense? A lot of people ask why I haven't tried to publish anything. I've been writing about the same characters for those past seven years, just trying to get the setting and story right - it tends to change and complicate itself the longer I work on it. I think for perhaps that reason, I'm not ready for other people to see it - I just want to enjoy it myself for a bit longer. Did you ever feel like that when you first started out writing?

 

Hope you're not too disappointed about Hurricane Ike skirting around Florida.

 

- Rebecca

Contributor
Boothy
Posts: 7
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Meg Cabot: The Books



MegCabot wrote:

Boothy wrote:

Regarding Robin McKinley, are you talking about her book Chalice? I've got an ARC of that in my TBR pile- it looks REALLY good! I'd never heard of Robin before, so this'll be my introduction to her. I'm sure I'll love it.
Oh, and I meant to say, if you haven't read her book BEAUTY, you are really missing out.  It's the best re-telling of the Beauty and the Beast story EVER!
 
Meg 

 


I haven't yet read anything by her (or heard of her before getting Chalice), but if I like Chalice, I'll definitely look out for Beauty. :smileyhappy: Thanks for the recommendation!!

Contributor
HelenKiaya
Posts: 6
Registered: ‎09-08-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Meg Cabot: The Books


MegCabot wrote:


Hi, Helen!  I'm so glad you like my books!  
Query letters are tough.  I recommend following the advice in Jeff Herman's book Guide to Publishers, Editors and Agents (or something like that, not sure of the exact title) which is the book I used to model my query letters on and also the guide I used for finding my agent.  I can't imagine query letter standards have changed much since I sent mine out, but being friendly and not pretentious in them worked for me.  I know how hard it is--it took me years to get an agent and I must have sent out hundreds of query letters.  Literally one a day for three years I think.  Don't get discouraged though, you never know!  Good luck!
Love,
Meg 

 


Thanks! I actually just barely bought that Jeff Herman book last week...perfect timing, I suppose. I'll have to take it off my bookshelf and get reading. I'm trying not to get discouraged, but rejection can be tough. Expected, but tough.

Friendly and not pretentious ...I think I can pull that off. :smileyhappy:

Thanks again.

- Helen

New User
starberry
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎09-10-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Meg Cabot: The Books

Hi Meg,
I love the books, I've been reading them ever since I was like twelve (so that would be about eight years now, God that makes me feel old).  I hope you're enjoying Key West (Glad, Ike bypassed you, however it looks like he's coming over in my parts of the woods according to the very neurotic weather man at home).  I wanted to say that  your books have been a big comfort to me throughout many crisises (both gigantic and tiny).  Funny fact, a few years ago I went to one of your signings and got my picture made with you (which has been on my desktop ever since, since I can't figure out how to print it out) and often people ask me if you're my mom, which I so totally don't get since you're like way too young/look to young to be my mom ,but whatever since most people think I'm thriteen instead of twenty when they first meet me.  Anyway, I wanted to know if you could share any tidbits about Princess Diaries X and if you've seen that Genovia website by any chance?  Oh, and another question because that's all I do ask questions, what Margins etc. do you use in writing, to make sure I'm doing this right (my first book is currently 240 pages 12 pt Times New Roman font, double spaced on Word with normal Margins and about 60,000 words (give or take since I'm still in the editing process, I've been in the editing process for like what seems forever) is this about the right length for a YA book?).  Sorry for digressing so much, but that's what I do, I can't wait for your future books (Is Abandon still coming out next year or has that changed, because I'm really looking forward to that series?).


Okay enough questions and thanks for doing this,

Molly

Author
MegCabot
Posts: 89
Registered: ‎08-06-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Meg Cabot: The Books


Ballerina222 wrote:

Hey Meg!

I am a huge fan of your books, and also with your blog. I totally agree with you about the Britney bashing, she was just too indulged as a child, her parents are total stage parents.

 

Anyway I was wondering if you could give me some advice, I messed up my knee and had to have surgery a little while ago. I'm on crutches so I obviously can't dance for a good couple of months, as you can probably guess I am seriously going out of my mind with nothing to do (parent's don't believe in cable television...) Do you have any new books that you have read that are amazing? Or any good music? Pretty much the time I'm not doing homework I have nothing to do, I've read a lot of the books out there and am looking for something new...Or any other ideas that you have just to pass time...

 

Good luck on your tour, you're so lucky to be able to go to all those amazing places!!!! 


Hi, Ballerina!  That stinks about your knee!  I hope you feel better soon!  You didn't say what kind of books you like (fantasy, chick lit, etc).  I just posted a list of authors whose books I can't recommend enough, but here it is again in case you missed it--it's not complete by any means, which means that there are tons more great authors out there whose names are just escaping me at the moment, and if you scroll through my blog you'll find tons more -- but these are some good ones to start with -- you can't wrong with books by any of these ladies:
Tamora Pierce
Robin McKinley (she has a new book coming out this Fall that looks great),
Justine Larbalestier (she also has a great new fairy book coming out next week)
Sarah Dessen
Susan Juby (she has a fantastically funny book coming out at the end of the month, GETTING THE GIRL)
Maureen Johnson
Michele Jaffe
E. Lockhart
Louise Rennison (for laughs) 
Holly Black
Laurie Halse Anderson 
Libba Bray
I loved the Anne McCaffrey Harper Hall series if you haven't read those yet, Menolly was my heroine when I was 14.  Start with Dragonsong.  
And if you like Chick Lit, of course there's Liza Palmer, Megan Crane, Sophie Kinsella, and if memoirs are more your thing, I loved Happy Birthday or Whatever by Annie Choi and A Girl Called Zippy by Haven Kimmel.  Very funny.
As for music, well, the new Katy Perry album is stuck in my head, alas, as is the new Alanis Morisette.  I plan on going to see Hamlet 2 this weekend.  How's that?
 
Meg 
 

 

Author
MegCabot
Posts: 89
Registered: ‎08-06-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Meg Cabot: The Books


lizziejames wrote:

Hi Meg,

 

I just wanted to take this opportunity to tell you how much I enjoy all of your books.  You have made a thirty something girl a YA reader again!

 

There are two questions I wanted to ask you about your writing habits...

How many words or pages do you write a day?

Do you edit chapter by chapter or wait until the end?

 

The shoes you are waiting for are so cute.  I hope you get them in time for your tour.

 

Thank you for your wonderful stories!!

 

Lizzie


Hi, Lizzie! Thanks!  And I don't write any set amount per day, just whatever comes out.  As for editing, I usually edit over what I wrote the day before.  So before I get started each day, I read what I wrote earlier.  Then, at the end, I read over the whole thing.  Does that make sense?
 
Thanks for writing!

Meg 

 

Author
MegCabot
Posts: 89
Registered: ‎08-06-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Meg Cabot: The Books


PippiForPresident wrote:

Fantastic recommendation. That book was one of my favorites when I was younger, particularly the description of "Beauty's Room." I mean who DOESN'T want a magical room filled with books that does whatever you tell it to?

 

Hi Meg. Big fan, older reader who follows your YA stuff out of great love for the genre. Also, a winner of a fabulous Airhead t-shirt that I wear when I bartend and constantly get asked about. Often, girls appear confused when I tell them it's a book and not a life motto.

 

But anyway.

 

Your stuff is fantastic and I love that you're great at taking stuff little girls fantasize about and turning it into well-written and funny stuff to read. Come to New Orleans on a book tour sometime, eh? Even J.K. Rowling put us on her schedule. Plus, I will personally buy you a few martinis and some food that's both awesome and gluten-free.

 

 Looking forward to the next Airhead and to the release of the last Princess Diaries book.


I'd love to come to New Orleans!  But New Orleans hasn't invited me.  I can only go where a bookstore or library formally invites me.  It's not enough to have one or even two readers say "Please come!" (I wish it were!)  A venue big enough to actually host a signing has to offer.  And none in the Big Easy has.
 
In the meantime...thanks for writing!
 
Love,
 
Meg