Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
MegCabot
0 Kudos

Re: Meg Cabot: The Books

Leeny wrote:

Hi Meg! I am an avid reader of yours and am on the message boards on your site! You also sent me a UK version of How to Be Popular last year for which I thank you a lot! I adored all of your books, but Airhead has to be my favorite! I love it! Keep on writing! We all love you! 

Leeny 

Well, thanks Leeny!  See you on the boards!

Meg 

Author
MegCabot
0 Kudos

Since a lot of people are asking for writing tips, I thought I'd post these from the Writing Forum of my website.  They're the answer I wrote to the many questions I receive about writing/publishing.  Maybe they'll help!

Frequently Asked Writing Questions: 

Q: I have written reams and reams of novels and short stories. How do I get them published? 

A: Go to your local library or bookstore and get a book on the writer’s market. The one that I used was called Jeff Herman’s Guide to Agents, Editors, and Publishers. You want to find the most updated version of whatever book you get, because you are going to be writing to the people whose addresses are listed inside, and you want to make sure they are still working at these places. 

The book you get will tell you that to get a publisher to look at your book, you must first write them what’s called a query letter. This is a one page letter describing you, your book, and why a publisher would want to buy this book from you. Just to let you know, I sent out several hundred of these letters before a single person ever asked to see the book I was trying to sell. 

Some people say if you get anyone to look at your book at all, you are lucky. I believe that luck is 95% preparation and 5% opportunity. So basically…you have to make your own luck. 

Q: What is an agent and how do I get one? 

A: You can get a publisher’s attention a lot more quickly—and some people believe you can get a much better deal--if you have a literary agent. A literary agent is someone whose job it is to take people’s manuscripts and try to place them with the appropriate publisher. A good agent will never charge a fee for her work on your behalf. 

However, if an agent agrees to take on your work, when she places it, she will earn a 10-15% cut of whatever money you make from the sale. So if a publisher offers you $10,000 for your book, your agent will get $1,500 of that money. You will get the rest. 

You can get an agent the same way you get a publisher: by finding a book on how to get them (such as the one by Jeff Herman) and sending them query letters. 

Q: I have started lots of stories, but I can’t seem to finish them. What’s wrong with me? 

A: It is always more fun to start a new story than it is to work on the one you’ve been working on for months. This is why publishers don’t pay writers their whole advance until they turn in the completed manuscript. Every writer feels this way. Just power through it, and remember that if you write a page a day—just ONE page—in three months you’ll have a hundred page story. And in six months you’ll have a two hundred page story. That’s almost a whole book. So don’t think about it like: “Oh my gosh, I have to write two hundred pages.” Think of it like, “Today, I have to write a page.” Trust me. It works. 

Q: I don’t know how to get started on a story. Please help. 

A: The solution to this problem is very simple: Sit down. Start a story. Finish it. Put it aside. Start another story. 

There. Now you’re a writer. 

Q: I can’t think of anything to write about. 

A: How about this: Who do you hate and why? Who do you love and why? What’s happened to you that you wish hadn’t happened? What hasn’t happened to you that you wish WOULD happen? 

Write these things down. There’s your story. 

Obviously you’ve got to create a plot and change your characters names so your friends and family won’t sue you. But that’s the fun part. 

Q: How many pages should my novel be? 

A: Publishers go by words, not pages. Most adult books are about 90,000 words, and no longer than 100,000 words (unless you’re JK Rowling). Teen books are about 55,000 words. 

How many words are there to a page? It depends on the font you are using, of course, but in general, 250-300 words per page. Therefore, a 55,000 word book should be about 200 manuscript pages. A 100,000 word book would be about 400. Editors like 12 point font. 

Q: What writing program should I use? 

A: Whichever one you like. I like Word, but Wordperfect is very nice, as well. Some people use something called Scrivener.

Q: What about chapters? 

A: I like chapters to be no longer than 10 pages each, with one scene per chapter. But you can have as long or as short a chapter as you want, with as many scenes in each that you want. You can have no chapters, if you want. But remember, readers have busy lives, and at some point they will have to put your book down to go the grocery store. It would be nice if you have chapter breaks so they could do this easily. 

Q: Should I plot my story first with an outline? 

A: Some authors make an outline plotting out what will happen in each chapter, before they sit down to write the book. While I do think it’s important when you’re writing a book to know where you are going (what the end will be) and how to get there, that kind of detailed plotting pretty kills the fun of writing for me, so I don’t do it. See what works best for you. 

Q: I want to be a writer, but I can’t seem to sit down and write. 

A: That is the difference between someone who WANTS to write, and someone who DOES write. The person who FINDS the time is the one who is going to become a writer. The person who doesn’t, won’t. You have to decide what’s important to you. I didn’t write very much while I was in school because I had too much homework/social life. There is no shame in waiting on the writing thing until you have more time. I did. 

Q: Do you have any other tips for me? 

A: Yes. Write the kinds of stories you like to read. If you don’t love what you’re writing, no one else will, either. 

Don’t tell people you want to be a writer. Everyone will try to talk of you out of choosing a job with so little security. Just keep it to yourself, and be sure to get a job to fall back on if your writing career doesn’t work out right away. 

You are not a hundred dollar bill. Not everyone is going to like you...or your story. Do not take rejection personally. 

If you are blocked on a story, there is probably something wrong with it. Take a few days off and put the story on a back burner for a while. Eventually, it will come to you. 

Don’t push too much pressure on yourself to get published by a certain age. I didn’t get published until I was 30, and I turned out all right, in my opinion. 

Write all the time, even if it's just grocery lists!

Never stop sending out your stuff. Don’t wait for a response after sending a story out...start a new story right away, then send that one out! If you are constantly writing and sending stuff out (don’t forget to live your life, too, while you are doing this) eventually somebody will bite! 

It is nearly impossible to get published these days without an agent. The guide I used to get mine was called the Jeff Herman Guide to Agents, Editors, and Publishers. The book was well worth the money I spent on it, since it lists every agent in the business and what he or she is looking for. It also tells you how to write a query letter, what to expect from your publisher, and all sorts of good stuff...a must buy for any aspiring author! 

And above all, become a good listener. In order to write believable dialogue, you need to listen to the conversations of the people around you--then try to imitate them! 

Good luck, and keep writing! If I can do it, so can you!  

Love,

Meg 

New User
CrazyClavie
0 Kudos

Hi Meg!

I've been fan of your books for a long time and now that I'm 24 I still love them, it doesn't matter if they are YA or Chick Lit, I still like them.

I think my favorite are the 1-800 books and Mediator, along with She Went All The Way and Airhead. 

Airhead really impressed me, it was funny and different and I can't wait for Being Nikki.

Also, I'm very excited about Princess Forever.

Anyway, I love your books

Clavie

New User
JackieA
0 Kudos

Hi Meg - Kia Ora!

I'm a fan of yours from New Zealand and I really enjoy your "Boy" adult books, as well as reading your YA titles. I particularly enjoyed the two All-American Girl books - Sam is a very classy heroine and I enjoyed the glimpses into American history. I am trying to get hold of some of your earlier adult romance titles too - I haven't read them yet, something to look forward to.

I see from your Diary that you love Mary Stewart, especially "Thornyhold" and "Nine Coaches Waiting". I read these too, along with Georgette Heyer's novels, who wrote some excellent romantic historic suspense like "The Reluctant Widow" and "The Toll-Gate".

How about writing some adult romantic paranormal set in US Colonial times, maybe around the War of Independence - but no vampires, please?

You've also got me reading Michele Jaffe - what a unique style, she is hilarious.[1]

Regards and kia kaha during the Big Storm.

Jackie A

[1] I nearly wet myself laughing while reading all the footnotes in 'Bad Kitty'.

Contributor
Junes
0 Kudos

Meg,

I'm asking this question for my daughter (she's nine).

1) Will there be another Allie Finkle book?

2) Will there be other middle grade books?

Thanks

June (& Casey)

Ordinary Me--March 2008
www.junesproat.com
New User
danica452
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hey, Meg!

I'm Charmaine Cavan. (Once you -- hopefully -- reply; Nice to meet you!) My friend recommended The Mediator series to me last year, and I believe I read them all in a little over a week - maybe a week and a half. I love The Mediator! Your writing is really unique and got me interested, right from the first page. The way you present your characters is intriguing, and I never got bored, reading about them.

I also read Prom Nights from Hell. I have to say that The Exterminator's Daughter is my favorite short story in the book, followed closely by Michele Jaffe's Kiss and Tell and Stephenie Meyer's Hell on Earth. I truly love your work and thank you for sharing it with all of us mere fans!!

I just bought Pants on Fire and American Girl. I'm sure they'll be just as amazing! (But I must admit that I've got a VERY soft spot for Jesse, especially when he says querida.)

Some things I'd like to know are:

How was Prom Nights from Hell made? How did it come about? How were you authors chosen to write the stories? Did you enjoy writing a short story, rather than a whole book? When writing it, did you talk to the other authors of the stories in the book?

How and when (in relation to the time you wrote "Every Girl's Dream" ) did you decide to make The Mediator a series?

Have you read Stephenie Meyer's The Host?

and

I know people have often asked you this question, but I'm somewhat new to the world of Meg Cabot, so, I'm sorry for the redundancy, but is The Mediator really being made into a movie?

I've tried looking it up, but I'm not sure what to believe on the internet anymore. Haha.

Thanks so much for all your time! I hope I didn't ask too many questions! And I'm sorry if I sounded a bit formal... I have no idea how to talk, when talking/typing to an amazing famous author!

- Charmaine

Message Edited by danica452 on 09-11-2008 12:56 AM
Author
MegCabot
0 Kudos

CrazyClavie wrote:

Hi Meg!

I've been fan of your books for a long time and now that I'm 24 I still love them, it doesn't matter if they are YA or Chick Lit, I still like them.

I think my favorite are the 1-800 books and Mediator, along with She Went All The Way and Airhead. 

Airhead really impressed me, it was funny and different and I can't wait for Being Nikki.

Also, I'm very excited about Princess Forever.

Anyway, I love your books

Clavie

Hi, Clavie!  Thanks so much for writing!  Do you visit the Meg Cabot message boards, too?  Because I thought recognized your screen name.  Thanks a lot for reading!  I'm glad you like my books (there's no age limit on them--I have readers in a "retirement oasis" in their 90s who frequently have book club meetings about them--they say they keep them young and "in tough"!)

Love,
Meg 

Author
MegCabot
0 Kudos

JackieA wrote:

Hi Meg - Kia Ora!

I'm a fan of yours from New Zealand and I really enjoy your "Boy" adult books, as well as reading your YA titles. I particularly enjoyed the two All-American Girl books - Sam is a very classy heroine and I enjoyed the glimpses into American history. I am trying to get hold of some of your earlier adult romance titles too - I haven't read them yet, something to look forward to.

I see from your Diary that you love Mary Stewart, especially "Thornyhold" and "Nine Coaches Waiting". I read these too, along with Georgette Heyer's novels, who wrote some excellent romantic historic suspense like "The Reluctant Widow" and "The Toll-Gate".

How about writing some adult romantic paranormal set in US Colonial times, maybe around the War of Independence - but no vampires, please?

You've also got me reading Michele Jaffe - what a unique style, she is hilarious.[1]

Regards and kia kaha during the Big Storm.

Jackie A

[1] I nearly wet myself laughing while reading all the footnotes in 'Bad Kitty'.

Hi, Jackie!  Your mastery of footnotes in this medium astounds and impresses me.  Any fan of Michele Jaffe's is a friend of mine.  I wish I could Kia Ora you back but I don't know what it means and I don't want to use it improperly so I'll just say hello and thanks!  I don't have any plans to write any historicals right now, but I may be doing some kind of adult paranormal--although I can assure you I have no immediate plans to write anything with vampires in it.

I too love Georgette Heyer, and of course Mary Stewart is one of my heroes!   

Thanks for writing!  I hope to visit New Zealand someday!

Love,

Meg 

Author
MegCabot
0 Kudos

Junes wrote:

Meg,

I'm asking this question for my daughter (she's nine).

1) Will there be another Allie Finkle book?

2) Will there be other middle grade books?

Thanks

June (& Casey)

Hi June and Casey!  Yes, after The New Girl (out now) there will be Best Friends and Drama Queens (out in March) and three more Allie Finkles (titles to be determined)!   I don't know if there'll be any more middle grade books.  I haven't thought of any, but you never know!

Thanks for writing!
Love,
Meg 

Author
MegCabot
0 Kudos

danica452 wrote:

Hey, Meg!

I'm Charmaine Cavan. (Once you -- hopefully -- reply; Nice to meet you!) My friend recommended The Mediator series to me last year, and I believe I read them all in a little over a week - maybe a week and a half. I love The Mediator! Your writing is really unique and got me interested, right from the first page. The way you present your characters is intriguing, and I never got bored, reading about them.

I also read Prom Nights from Hell. I have to say that The Exterminator's Daughter is my favorite short story in the book, followed closely by Michele Jaffe's Kiss and Tell and Stephenie Meyer's Hell on Earth. I truly love your work and thank you for sharing it with all of us mere fans!!

I just bought Pants on Fire and American Girl. I'm sure they'll be just as amazing! (But I must admit that I've got a VERY soft spot for Jesse, especially when he says querida.)

Some things I'd like to know are:

How was Prom Nights from Hell made? How did it come about? How were you authors chosen to write the stories? Did you enjoy writing a short story, rather than a whole book? When writing it, did you talk to the other authors of the stories in the book?

How and when (in relation to the time you wrote "Every Girl's Dream" ) did you decide to make The Mediator a series?

Have you read Stephenie Meyer's The Host?

and

I know people have often asked you this question, but I'm somewhat new to the world of Meg Cabot, so, I'm sorry for the redundancy, but is The Mediator really being made into a movie?

I've tried looking it up, but I'm not sure what to believe on the internet anymore. Haha.

Thanks so much for all your time! I hope I didn't ask too many questions! And I'm sorry if I sounded a bit formal... I have no idea how to talk, when talking/typing to an amazing famous author!

- Charmaine

Message Edited by danica452 on 09-11-2008 12:56 AM

Hi, Charmaine!  What a pretty name!   Thanks so much for the nice compliments about my books!   In answer to your questions--hopefully I can remember them all--

Yes, there is definitely a film project underway for The Mediator, but whether it will be a feature film, television, or what, we don't know yet.  It is with the producer of The Spiderwick Chronicles.

About Prom Night from Hell, that was a project fully organized by an editor at Harper Collins Children's books.  I didn't meet or speak to any of the other authors involved (except Michele Jaffe of course, but we were friends before).   I guess an adult book along the same theme (date from hell)  had been very successful so the editor (not my normal editor, I don't really know her) wanted to do a YA version.  The only guidelines we were given was--write about a prom night from hell and turn it in by X date.  I don't know how she chose the other authors or even who they were until the book came out.  Anthologies like that usually work that way.  
And no, I don't really like writing short stories.  It's really hard for me to come up with something that short--or in that case, that long (it was more of a novella than a short story, an awkward length).
I think your questions about how I came up with the Mediator could best be answered by going here:  http://www.megcabot.com/mediator/about.php where there's a nice long explanation!
I haven't read The Host yet, my to-be-read pile is huge!   
I hope I answered everything you wanted to know--but if not, come back--I'm here all week, ba-dum-bump.
Love,
Meg 

New User
megcarr13
0 Kudos

Hi Meg! I've read most of your books (including two Patricia Cabot ones) and I regularly read your blog. (Might sound a little stalkerish, but, oh well.) I have to say, I absolutely love them. I'm a sophomore in college and I started reading your books right after "The Princess Diaries" (movie) came out. The only way my mom would take me to see the movie was if I read the book too. I was not looking forward to reading the book, it just didn't seem that interesting to me (which, coming from me, is kind of absurd). After reading "The Princess Diaries," I just couldn't get enough and pretty much devoured everything you had written. While I've been writing this, I've been trying to think of my favorite book by you. Usually, I say that "Avalon High" is my favorite YA book and "The Boy Next Door" is my favorite adult book, but that doesn't really hold anymore. I've been re-reading a couple of them and all of them are just so good! I can't wait for the next installments of the Heather Wells series and "Being Nikki!" I'm also super excited about "Queen of Babble" being made into a movie. Especially if Kristen Bell is playing Lizzie. While she's not how I pictured Lizzie, I love Kristen Bell (and "Veronica Mars") and I think she'll do a great job with it. --Megan
New User
megcarr13
0 Kudos

Hi again! 

I forgot a question I wanted to ask you: why don't you write about college students? I know high school is really intense and drama-ridden, but it would be nice to see a book or story about some college kids. And if you ever wanted to write about college folk, you are more than welcome to come over to Barnard College and do some researching :-)

--Megan 

Contributor
HelenKiaya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

So, this time I have a question from a friend of mine, Ammanda, who's too lazy to actually sign up for the website here and get on to ask. But she's a huge Bowie fan and found out the other day that him and his wife, Iman, have matching tattoos (with each other's names) that they got soon after their marriage. She would like to know if that's where you got the idea for the wedding ceremony tattoos in Teen Idol, or if it was just your awesome imagination that came up with that.

Thanks,

Helen

(again. Wonder how many more questions I'll ask before you're gone. haha...)

Message Edited by HelenKiaya on 09-11-2008 06:06 PM
New User
mollyraesly
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

hi, meg!

i'm the aforementioned friend that charmaine told you about.  she was the girl with all the questions. 

i have been a huge fan of yours for a few years now.  i started with princess diaries, and i am a fairly certain i have every book you've ever written.  my favorite is the mediator.  the fan girl inside of me tends to squeal when i think of jesse being on film saying querida (i only let her out at rare moments---like season one of buffy when you see angel for the first time.) 

besides the mediator, i love the princess diaries, all-american girl, the heather wells series.......basically everything you've written.  they are all on this shelf in my room.  a little meg shrine.  (i'm not crazy, i only seem it.)

my question for you concerns mia.  i'm very worried about her.  i mean, i love j.p. post-corn in the chili, but michael!  i miss michael so much!  and i now you can't actually tell me anything concerning the plot, but could i at least have some reassurance that mia will end the series happy?  that would be wonderful!

thank you so much for writing so many amazing novels!  and teaching me how to say quahog!

love,

addison

p.s. didn't you just love dr. horrible's sing-along-blog?

Message Edited by mollyraesly on 09-11-2008 10:16 PM
Author
MegCabot
0 Kudos

megcarr13 wrote:

Hi again! 

I forgot a question I wanted to ask you: why don't you write about college students? I know high school is really intense and drama-ridden, but it would be nice to see a book or story about some college kids. And if you ever wanted to write about college folk, you are more than welcome to come over to Barnard College and do some researching :-)

--Megan 

Hi, Meg--yay, another Meg!  Thanks for all the enthusiastic words about my books!  I'm glad you enjoy them!  I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Kristin Bell in the Queen of Babble movie too!  Jeff Sharp, the producer (he did Boys Don't Cry and Nicholas Nickleby) is getting the script together and there's a lot of studio interest--I won't name the studio yet though, I don't want to jinx it!
 I actually do write about college students in my Heather Wells books, since Heather works in a college dorm, and she's surrounded by them!  Too bad they're always getting murdered. But I do have some plans to write more directly about college students later, I hope.  That's all I can say for now!    

Thanks for writing!

Meg 

Author
MegCabot
0 Kudos

HelenKiaya wrote:

So, this time I have a question from a friend of mine, Ammanda, who's too lazy to actually sign up for the website here and get on to ask. But she's a huge Bowie fan and found out the other day that him and his wife, Iman, have matching tattoos (with each other's names) that they got soon after their marriage. She would like to know if that's where you got the idea for the wedding ceremony tattoos in Teen Idol, or if it was just your awesome imagination that came up with that.

Thanks,

Helen

(again. Wonder how many more questions I'll ask before you're gone. haha...)

Message Edited by HelenKiaya on 09-11-2008 06:06 PM

Hi, Helen!  I actually didn't know that about David Bowie and Iman!  I think it's sort of a common practice, or a lot of people are copying than and I didn't know it, because people seem to be doing it here in Key West all the time.  I myself am way too chicken to get a tattoo (although I get accupuncture all the time, and anyone who says it doesn't hurt is lying).  But my brother has tons!  And his wife has one too!  I LOVE David Bowie by the way, and am a big fan of Iman!

Love,

Meg 

Author
MegCabot
0 Kudos

mollyraesly wrote:

hi, meg!

i'm the aforementioned friend that charmaine told you about.  she was the girl with all the questions. 

i have been a huge fan of yours for a few years now.  i started with princess diaries, and i am a fairly certain i have every book you've ever written.  my favorite is the mediator.  the fan girl inside of me tends to squeal when i think of jesse being on film saying querida (i only let her out at rare moments---like season one of buffy when you see angel for the first time.) 

besides the mediator, i love the princess diaries, all-american girl, the heather wells series.......basically everything you've written.  they are all on this shelf in my room.  a little meg shrine.  (i'm not crazy, i only seem it.)

my question for you concerns mia.  i'm very worried about her.  i mean, i love j.p. post-corn in the chili, but michael!  i miss michael so much!  and i now you can't actually tell me anything concerning the plot, but could i at least have some reassurance that mia will end the series happy?  that would be wonderful!

thank you so much for writing so many amazing novels!  and teaching me how to say quahog!

love,

addison

p.s. didn't you just love dr. horrible's sing-along-blog?

Message Edited by mollyraesly on 09-11-2008 10:16 PM

Hi, Addison!  First, yes, I loved Dr. Horrible, but I wasn't so fond of the end, if that gives you any indication of the kind of endings I like (I liked everything except the death.  I wouldn't have minded if he didn't get the girl but why did she have to--you know).

Anyway, about Princess Diaries--Michael definitely comes back in PD10, and he and Mia do have a talk about the past.  What comes of that talk, I can't tell you.  You have to read the book!  I think I can guarantee you'll like it though.  In my opinion, everyone gets what they deserve.  Except maybe Grandmere.

Love,

Meg 

New User
CrazyClavie
0 Kudos

Yeah, that's me.

I've been there since day one. I'm member 30 something.

Actually, those forums are great, I had just stwiched colleges when I found them and since I didn't have many friends I spent a lot of time there at the computer center posting away. I still talk to most of the people who I met there and are still active. 

Distinguished Correspondent
BLUEICEGAL
0 Kudos

hiya meg! ive only read the mediator series so far but there fantastic, just wanted to say your a great writer and keep up the great work , and i like literally fell in love with jesse!
Wanna know the awesomeness that is moi??? movies, artists, gossip and the latest reviews of your fav books not to mention my upcoming twilight parody that i am currently working on is all here folks!! @ My Blog Fantasy4eva spread the word girls :smileyhappy:
Fantasy4eva
New User
ami_rox16
0 Kudos

Hey Meg!

I live in the UK, and I recently purchased PD10. I won't post any spoilers, because that just ruins the book, in my opinion, but I thought I ought to commend you on writing such an entertaining book. I absolutely loved it. 

On numerous occassions in the book, you surprised me greatly, which is one of the reasons I love reading your books. So, congratulations!

My favourite book of yours is probably either, "Tommy Sullivan is a Freak" or "Big Boned." 

Oh, and recently, you had a World Tour? You came to Waterstones in London, but I missed it. How often do you go on tour to the UK? 

-- Ami. xx