Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

November 10 to 14: Nelson DeMille

We're thrilled to welcome Nelson DeMille to Center Stage!

It's been over ten years since we last saw John and Susan Sutter in The Gold Coast. They now return in Nelson's eagerly awaited follow-up, The Gate House.

Are you one of the many who have already devoured this book?  Do you have a question for Nelson about his many other novels? Reply to this message to start the conversation!

Nelson DeMille joins us the week of November 10th.

About Nelson DeMille
Nelson Richard DeMille was born in New York City on August 23, 1943 to Huron and Antonia (Panzera) DeMille. He moved as a child with his family to Long Island. In high school, he played football and ran track.

DeMille spent three years at Hofstra University, then joined the Army and attended Officer Candidate School. He was a First Lieutenant in the United States Army (1966-69) and saw action as an infantry platoon leader with the First Cavalry Division in Vietnam. He was decorated with the Air Medal, Bronze Star, and the Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry.

DeMille returned to the States and went back to Hofstra University where he received his degree in Political Science and History. He has three children, Lauren, Alexander, and James, and still lives on Long Island.

DeMille's earlier books were NYPD detective novels. His first major novel was By the Rivers of Babylon, published in 1978 and still in print, as are all his succeeding novels. He is a member of The Authors Guild, the Mystery Writers of America, and American Mensa. He holds three honorary doctorates: Doctor of Humane Letters from Hofstra University, Doctor of Literature from Long Island University, and Doctor of Humane Letters from Dowling College.

Nelson DeMille is the author of: By the Rivers of Babylon, Cathedral, The Talbot Odyssey, Word of Honor, The Charm School, The Gold Coast, The General's Daughter, Spencerville, Plum Island, The Lion's Game, Up Country, Night Fall, and Wild Fire. He also co-authored Mayday with Thomas Block and has contributed short stories, book reviews, and articles to magazines and newspapers.

Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!

New User
barbiedee
0 Kudos

Re: November 10 to 14: Nelson DeMille

It wasn't clear how to go about asking a question.  I'm assuming I have stumbled on the correct spot.

I think I have read all of Nelson DeMille's novels, my favorite being "Night Fall".  I was wondering if he will be continuing the John Corey series anytime soon?  Even though I have enjoyed all of his books, except "Up Country", the John Corey series have all been among my favorites.

New User
Serezcita
0 Kudos

Hello!  I am new to this forum and delighted to respond regarding my favorite author, Nelson DeMille.  I have long awaited this latest novel, can't wait to read it, and have read and thoroughly enjoyed every one of his preceding books.  My favorite so far has been Lion's Gate - but they have all been so good.  I just wanted to tell Mr. DeMille thanks for sharing his gift!

Inspired Correspondent
Bethanne
0 Kudos

Hi everyone! I’m really excited that Nelson DeMille will be the Center Stage author for my second week as moderator. I met Nelson nearly three years ago when I was assigned to write a profile of him for Publishers Weekly. He was so generous with his time, not only showing me his office and his home, but also taking me on a tour of Garden City, Long Island, and pointing out landmarks there that are meaningful to him personally and to his novels. He’s an oldfashioned “guy’s guy” who is also a meticulous professional and, like all of us here, a voracious reader.

While I’m sure you all have questions about Nelson’s new novel, “The Gate House,” I want to encourage you to ask him about its predecessor, “The Gold Coast,” because he has a passion for learning about and connecting the dots in the history of Long Island. His office study is lined with bookshelves that are arranged by topic – a writer’s heaven.

The question I’d like to start off with is: Nelson, what is it about the characters of John and Susan Sutter that made you want to write about them again?

Check out this week's Center Stage discussion!

See all upcoming discussions!

0 Kudos

Happy Sunday, everyone. Yesterday I finished The Gate House, so I'm eager to see your questions to Nelson DeMille and to ask a few of my own. Remember, Center Stage is a place where we can respond to each other as well as to the author, so feel free to "talk" or to follow up on an author's response to someone else with a comment or question it brings up for you.

I'd love to hear from those of you out there who have also read The Gate House -- anyone else finished?

0 Kudos

Mr. DeMille,

Thank you so much for visiting with us here at Center Stage.

I just finished The Gate House over the weekend and I loved it. John Sutter was such an endearing character, I loved his sense of humor and his love of his family. I often wondered if Susan deserved that love. But it was a great book with very memorable characters and a story to die for literally.

I have enjoyed all of your novels and the character that is especially dear to me is John Corey and I was just wondering if he would be making another appearance? 

Thank you again for taking the time to speak to us. 

New User
mrssherrieb
0 Kudos

I love all your books!  Thank you so much for all your hard work.  John Sutter and John Cory are both such smart-alecs but I love them dearly.  I was in love with those 2 men long before I met my husband.  How much of your personality is like their's?  I hope there will be many more Nelson DeMille books, but I especially hope we'll see more of the two Johns.

Sherrie Bouldin

Indianapolis, IN

Author
Nelson_DeMille
0 Kudos

Bethanne wrote:

Hi everyone! I’m really excited that Nelson DeMille will be the Center Stage author for my second week as moderator. I met Nelson nearly three years ago when I was assigned to write a profile of him for Publishers Weekly. He was so generous with his time, not only showing me his office and his home, but also taking me on a tour of Garden City, Long Island, and pointing out landmarks there that are meaningful to him personally and to his novels. He’s an oldfashioned “guy’s guy” who is also a meticulous professional and, like all of us here, a voracious reader.

While I’m sure you all have questions about Nelson’s new novel, “The Gate House,” I want to encourage you to ask him about its predecessor, “The Gold Coast,” because he has a passion for learning about and connecting the dots in the history of Long Island. His office study is lined with bookshelves that are arranged by topic – a writer’s heaven.

The question I’d like to start off with is: Nelson, what is it about the characters of John and Susan Sutter that made you want to write about them again?

Hi everyone,

I'm here and looking forward to talking with all of you.

Hello Bethanne, and many thanks for your kind and flattering introduction.  I'm glad we have the chance to speak again.  As for your question: I enjoyed creating the characters of John and Susan Sutter in The Gold Coast, and though I never thought I'd revisit them, I've gotten hundreds of letters over the years asking me what happened to them after we last saw them in The Gold Coast.  So, in response to reader interest and questions, I decided to bring back John and Susan in The Gate House.

Learn more about The Gate House.

Discover all Nelson DeMille titles.
Author
Nelson_DeMille
0 Kudos

barbiedee wrote:

It wasn't clear how to go about asking a question.  I'm assuming I have stumbled on the correct spot.

I think I have read all of Nelson DeMille's novels, my favorite being "Night Fall".  I was wondering if he will be continuing the John Corey series anytime soon?  Even though I have enjoyed all of his books, except "Up Country", the John Corey series have all been among my favorites.

Hi barbiedee, and thanks for your question.  The book I am working on now is a sequel to The Lion's Game, featuring John Corey, and his wife and partner, Kate Mayfield, who is an FBI agent.  Look for this book (as yet untitled) in the spring of 2010, and check my website www.nelsondemille.net for updates.

Author
Nelson_DeMille
0 Kudos

Serezcita wrote:

Hello!  I am new to this forum and delighted to respond regarding my favorite author, Nelson DeMille.  I have long awaited this latest novel, can't wait to read it, and have read and thoroughly enjoyed every one of his preceding books.  My favorite so far has been Lion's Gate - but they have all been so good.  I just wanted to tell Mr. DeMille thanks for sharing his gift!

Hi Serezcita, glad you enjoyed The Lion's Game because I'm now working on the sequel.  And thanks for letting me know you enjoyed all my books.  Hope you like The Gate House.

Author
Nelson_DeMille
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

Mr. DeMille,

Thank you so much for visiting with us here at Center Stage.

I just finished The Gate House over the weekend and I loved it. John Sutter was such an endearing character, I loved his sense of humor and his love of his family. I often wondered if Susan deserved that love. But it was a great book with very memorable characters and a story to die for literally.

I have enjoyed all of your novels and the character that is especially dear to me is John Corey and I was just wondering if he would be making another appearance? 

Thank you again for taking the time to speak to us. 

Hi Debbie, and thanks for reading The Gate House.  Glad you enjoyed it.  A lot of my readers wonder about John Sutter's wife, Susan, and all I can say is that love is blind.  As for John Corey, I don't know how his wife Kate Mayfield puts up with him.  But find out a little more about this couple in my sequel to The Lion's Game, which I'm hard at work on now.

Author
Nelson_DeMille
0 Kudos

mrssherrieb wrote:

I love all your books!  Thank you so much for all your hard work.  John Sutter and John Cory are both such smart-alecs but I love them dearly.  I was in love with those 2 men long before I met my husband.  How much of your personality is like their's?  I hope there will be many more Nelson DeMille books, but I especially hope we'll see more of the two Johns.

Sherrie Bouldin

Indianapolis, IN

Hi Sherrie,

Glad you enjoyed my books, and glad you like my two Johns.  Both characters, I think, are men's men, but they also appeal to women, from what I see from my website e-mail.  I guess some of my personality comes out through these characters, especially the smart-alec part of me.  I don't think we'll see John Sutter again, but I know we'll see more of John Corey, starting with my next book, a sequel to The Lion's Game.

New User
MikeMS
0 Kudos

Mr. DeMille,

I recently discovered your exciting books and have read "Up Country" and "Wild Fire".  I'm currently in the last 100 pages of "The Charm School" and I'm hoping Seth Alevy can rescue Col. Hollis and Lisa Rhodes.  I'm glad to hear there are more John Corey stories and one you're working on right now.

What about Paul Brenner from "Up Country" and "The General's Daughter"?  Is he a main character in any of your other books or in any future plans?

How much of "Up Country" was based on your own feelings toward Vietnam?

Since John McCain's loss in Tuesday's election, some commentators have made the point that Gore, Kerry, and McCain were all Vietnam veterans and they all lost in a Presidential election, so we are not likely to ever have a Vietnam veteran as a President.  Do you think this is just a coincidence or does it tell us something about Americans' feelings toward that war?

Thank you so much for your work.  I plan to read both "The Gold Coast" and "The Gate House" next.

Inspired Correspondent
Bethanne
0 Kudos

Greetings, all -- we're off to a great start on this week's Center Stage! MikeB, I'm so glad you mentioned Paul Brenner. The General's Daughter was the first DeMille novel I read, and I was completely hooked. It's Veteran's Day, so my new question for Nelson is to tell us all a bit about how your own experiences in the Army and as a proud veteran influence your writing about military characters.

0 Kudos

Nelson, it's great to have the opportunity to speak with you again, too. Now that I've finished The Gate House, I'm thinking there has to be another Sutter book coming someday -- perhaps set at sea?

0 Kudos

Dear Mr. DeMille,

This is a rare treat to be able to communicate with you.  I am never able to visit you during a book signing to ask you if any of your older novels under your pen name Jack Cannon will ever be in print again?  Plus, you are truly the best writer of intrigue and adventure.  My wife even reads your books and loves them.  The Gate House was such a rare treat by you.  It had a bittersweet, coming home feel to it, as well as your signature wit and sarcasm sprinked on every page.  My favorite book is Plum Island, but mostly because that is the first book of yours I read.  Can you give all of us a clue as to whether you are going to continue with Corey as your main character or if you have a brand new character in mind for a later book?  Thanks again for being such a gifted writer and wonderful storyteller.  I also admire you for holding out until you are completely finished with a book or have a really good idea, instead of cranking out a book every 6 months.  It really shows!!

Donald Kendall
Author
Nelson_DeMille
0 Kudos

Bethanne wrote:
Greetings, all -- we're off to a great start on this week's Center Stage! MikeB, I'm so glad you mentioned Paul Brenner. The General's Daughter was the first DeMille novel I read, and I was completely hooked. It's Veteran's Day, so my new question for Nelson is to tell us all a bit about how your own experiences in the Army and as a proud veteran influence your writing about military characters.

Hi Bethanne,

Glad to be back today.  It's Veterans Day, as you said, so I'm going out tonight with a few friends who are also Vietnam vets.

My first book that dealt with the Vietnam War was Word of Honor, which was actually my fourth book - so I didn't deal with the war early in my writing career.  My second, and probably my last, Vietnam-themed book was Up Country, published in 2002.  I feel that I've said what I wanted to say about that war, but it's always possible that I will return to the subject.

Author
Nelson_DeMille
0 Kudos

MikeMS wrote:

Mr. DeMille,

I recently discovered your exciting books and have read "Up Country" and "Wild Fire".  I'm currently in the last 100 pages of "The Charm School" and I'm hoping Seth Alevy can rescue Col. Hollis and Lisa Rhodes.  I'm glad to hear there are more John Corey stories and one you're working on right now.

What about Paul Brenner from "Up Country" and "The General's Daughter"?  Is he a main character in any of your other books or in any future plans?

How much of "Up Country" was based on your own feelings toward Vietnam?

Since John McCain's loss in Tuesday's election, some commentators have made the point that Gore, Kerry, and McCain were all Vietnam veterans and they all lost in a Presidential election, so we are not likely to ever have a Vietnam veteran as a President.  Do you think this is just a coincidence or does it tell us something about Americans' feelings toward that war?

Thank you so much for your work.  I plan to read both "The Gold Coast" and "The Gate House" next.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for joining us, and thanks for your questions.  First, I don't have any plans to bring back Paul Brenner, but so many people have asked me about it that I'll give it some thought.

Regarding Up Country, the settings in the story match my own tour of duty in Vietnam in 1967-68 and/or my revisit to Vietnam in 1997.  As for how I felt about the war, during and afterward, I think that Paul Brenner's statements and reflections pretty much match mine, with a few exceptions that I added for dramatic effect.

As for your question about Vietnam vets Gore, Kerry, and McCain all losing a presidential election, I really think this was coincidence.  It is interesting that three Vietnam vets lost, but I don't think their service played much of a role, either positive or negative.

Author
Nelson_DeMille
0 Kudos

Donald wrote:

Dear Mr. DeMille,

This is a rare treat to be able to communicate with you.  I am never able to visit you during a book signing to ask you if any of your older novels under your pen name Jack Cannon will ever be in print again?  Plus, you are truly the best writer of intrigue and adventure.  My wife even reads your books and loves them.  The Gate House was such a rare treat by you.  It had a bittersweet, coming home feel to it, as well as your signature wit and sarcasm sprinked on every page.  My favorite book is Plum Island, but mostly because that is the first book of yours I read.  Can you give all of us a clue as to whether you are going to continue with Corey as your main character or if you have a brand new character in mind for a later book?  Thanks again for being such a gifted writer and wonderful storyteller.  I also admire you for holding out until you are completely finished with a book or have a really good idea, instead of cranking out a book every 6 months.  It really shows!!

Hi Donald,

And thanks for your kind words.  No, the Jack Cannon novels will never again be in print.  I did them 30 or 35 years ago under my name, and they were reissued under the name Jack Cannon about 15-20 years ago.  The quality is good, but not up to my standards today.  Glad you enjoyed The Gate House, Plum Island, and the others, and yes, I do take my time with them.  As for John Corey, I'm currently working on the sequel to The Lion's Game, featuring Corey and his wife, Kate Mayfield.  After that, I'm not sure what to do with the character.  Thanks for joining us.

Contributor
marymaca
0 Kudos

Dear Mr. DeMille,

I have read many of your books, and I have enjoyed them all. The Charm School, Word of Honor and Spencerville are particular favorites. The John Corey books are my absolute favorite. I have just started the Gate House and I'm sure I will love it. The men in these books all seam to have the same strong personality, any resemblance to the author?  Thank you for your writings and your time.

Mary