Inspired Correspondent
Bethanne
0 Kudos

Phillip Margolin, June 15-19

[ Edited ]

Welcome to Center Stage, Phillip Margolin -- We hope you'll enjoy this week of questions on and comments about your work, including your new novel Fugitive.

Phillip Margolin grew up in New York City and Levittown, New York. In 1965, he graduated from The American University in Washington, D.C. with a Bachelor's Degree in Government. From 1965 to 1967, he was a Peace Corps volunteer in Liberia, West Africa. In 1970, he graduated from New York University School of Law. During his last two years in law school he went at night and worked his way through by teaching junior high school in the South Bronx in New York City.

His first job after law school was a clerkship with Herbert M. Schwab, the Chief Judge of the Oregon Court of Appeals. From 1972 until 1996, he was in private practice in Portland, Oregon, specializing in criminal defense at the trial and appellate levels. As an appellate attorney he has appeared before the United States Supreme Court, the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, the Oregon Supreme Court and the Oregon Court of Appeals. As a trial attorney, he handled all sorts of criminal cases in state and federal court and he has represented approximately 30 people charged with homicide, including several who have faced the death penalty. He was the first Oregon attorney to use the Battered Women's Syndrome to defend a battered woman accused of murdering her spouse.

Since 1996, Margolin has been writing full-time. All of his novels have been New York Times bestsellers. Heartstone, his first novel, was nominated for an Edgar for best original paperback mystery of 1978 by the Mystery Writers of America. His second novel, The Last Innocent Man, was made into an HBO movie. Gone, But Not Forgotten  has been sold to more than 25 foreign publishers and debuted as a miniseries in 2004. After DarkThe Burning ManThe Undertaker's WidowWild JusticeThe AssociateTies That Bind and Sleeping Beauty were also New York Times bestsellers and selections or main selections of the major book clubs.

Since 1996, he's been the President and Chairman of the Board of Chess for Success, a non-profit charity that uses chess to teach study skills to elementary and middle school children in Title I schools.

Message Edited by Bethanne on 06-15-2009 08:08 AM
Message Edited by PaulH on 06-15-2009 12:20 PM

Check out this week's Center Stage discussion!

See all upcoming discussions!

0 Kudos

Re: Phillip Margolin, June 15-19

[ Edited ]

First off, I'm quite a new fan of yours , since last week when I picked up Executive Privelege and enjoyed it tremendously.I'm cuurently starting  to read thru your backlist and will pick up Fugitive very soon.What is your favorite book of all the books you've written?Where do you get your ideas for your book?Is there any chance we will soon be seen any of your books as a movie ?

Thanks,

Alex

Message Edited by PaulH on 06-15-2009 12:22 PM
Inspired Correspondent
Bethanne
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Alex99 wrote:

First off, I'm quite a new fan of yours , since last week when I picked up Executive Privelege and enjoyed it tremendously.I'm cuurently starting  to read thru your backlist and will pick up Fugitive very soon.What is your favorite book of all the books you've written?Where do you get your ideas for your book?Is there any chance we will soon be seen any of your books as a movie ?

Thanks,

Alex

Good morning, Alex -- I know Phillip Margolin will be joining us soon. I hope you pick up Fugitive asap and tell us what you think of it, since you're one of his new fans! Thanks for joining us at Center Stage.
Anyone else finished with Fugitive yet? I've got 20 pages to go... 
Bethanne 

Message Edited by PaulH on 06-15-2009 12:21 PM

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Alex: I'm glad you wrote. You might notice that my first name was misspelled with only one L and the dates for my appearance on the Book Club page is wrong. I'm really on from Monday, June 15 to Friday, June 19. This info is being corrected and hopefully other readers will see this post to you. Noe to your questions. First, I'm glad you enjoyed "Executive Privilege." It is second favorite behind "Gone But Not Forgotten," my first bestseller. "Gone" was made into a four hour movie starring Brooke Shields. It debuted on the Lifetime channel a few years ago and is on DVD. My second novel, "The Last Innocent Man" was an HBO film with Ed Harris in 1987. I was very happy with both movies. My ideas come from all over the place. Sometimes they pop into my head, sometimes they are inspired by a moral or ethical dilemma criminal defense attorneys face and a few have been inspired by real murder cases. Thanks for writing. If you have any more questions, please ask. After this week, you can ask me questions on my website, www.phillipmargolin.com. Phil
Message Edited by PaulH on 06-15-2009 12:44 PM
Frequent Contributor
Hotpen
0 Kudos

I'm a big, big fan of yours, Mr. Margolin. I really love the character of Amanda and can't wait to read Fugitive. My question then is Amanda based on actual person?
Author
Phillip-Margolin
0 Kudos

Hotpen: I'm glad you're enjoying my books. To answer your question, no, Amanda is not based on a real person. I made her up when I was working on the outline for "Wild Justice." I really like her and her relationship with her father, so I enjoy bringing back the Jaffes whenever they fit into a story idea. Phil
Inspired Correspondent
Bethanne
0 Kudos

Phillip_Margolin wrote:
Alex: I'm glad you wrote. You might notice that my first name was misspelled with only one L and the dates for my appearance on the Book Club page is wrong. I'm really on from Monday, June 15 to Friday, June 19. This info is being corrected and hopefully other readers will see this post to you. Noe to your questions. First, I'm glad you enjoyed "Executive Privilege." It is second favorite behind "Gone But Not Forgotten," my first bestseller. "Gone" was made into a four hour movie starring Brooke Shields. It debuted on the Lifetime channel a few years ago and is on DVD. My second novel, "The Last Innocent Man" was an HBO film with Ed Harris in 1987. I was very happy with both movies. My ideas come from all over the place. Sometimes they pop into my head, sometimes they are inspired by a moral or ethical dilemma criminal defense attorneys face and a few have been inspired by real murder cases. Thanks for writing. If you have any more questions, please ask. After this week, you can ask me questions on my website, www.phillipmargolin.com. Phil
Message Edited by PaulH on 06-15-2009 12:44 PM

Hello, Phillip -- Thanks for joining despite the typos and for answering Alex's questions.
I've really enjoyed Fugitive and am particularly interested in the Jaffes. Did you have any real-life inspiration for this father-daughter team?
Thanks!
Bethanne 

0 Kudos

Phillip-Margolin wrote:
Hotpen: I'm glad you're enjoying my books. To answer your question, no, Amanda is not based on a real person. I made her up when I was working on the outline for "Wild Justice." I really like her and her relationship with her father, so I enjoy bringing back the Jaffes whenever they fit into a story idea. Phil
Well, there's my question answered! Again, I loved the Jaffes.
I also have to admit to a real soft spot for Charlie Marsh. He's not the ideal man, but his tenderness towards Bernadette Baptiste really got to me -- I kept thinking that that might have been the best part of her life.
Bethanne 

0 Kudos

Hi, Mr. Margolin: 1st, thank you so much for the pleasure of listening to the audio of Dog On It. I drive a lot, so I listen to quite a few audios as well as voraciously read print.:smileyhappy: And I'm a dog lover as well.

I honestly never enjoyed listening to any book as much as the one Chet narrated!! It was action & laughter & reliving times w/ my darling pup, r.i.p., as I drove.  I had to forceably bring myself back to the driving, so lost in Chet's & Bernie's adventure as I was every time.  Your story was brilliant!  I hated coming to the end, & am looking so forward to the next in the series.

I have 1 "?", more a request -- in the next book, is Chet going to maneuver Bernie back to that awful animal shelter to release that Iggy- look-alike puppy & all the rest of Chet's "family"?  I kept hoping that when they did go back to that vicinity that they'd manage that rescue, too. :smileyhappy:

I'm now also looking fwd to reading "The Fugitive", et al.!

Sincerely,

Eileen

Contributor
bibliophil
0 Kudos

PS. Forgot to ask: how can we get to "Chet's blog" that you mentioned in the Spencer Quinn "Center Stage"? Thanks again!

Author
Phillip-Margolin
0 Kudos

Dear bibliophil: Since you enjoyed "Dog On It" so much I regret that I didn't write it. I hope you figure out who the author is so you can tell them you liked it. I did write "Fugitive" and I hope you have as much fun with it as you had with the book I didn't write. Phil Margolin
Contributor
bibliophil
0 Kudos

PPS. I found it -- chetthedog.com :smileyhappy:
Contributor
bibliophil
0 Kudos

Oh, I feel soo stoopid! I just now checked at the chetthedog.com site, & found Spencer Quinn (pen name) is Peter Abrahams. So sorry!!

But I am definitely going to read Phillip Margolin's books as well!

:smileywink:

Author
Phillip-Margolin
0 Kudos

bibliophil: Don't feel bad. If I had a nickel for every silly thing I've done I'd own an island in the Caribbean. Phil
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Whew, I'm glad I checked the Center Stage schedule -- I've been out of town and almost missed your visit. I'm a big fan of yours. These are a few of my favorites:

Sleeping Beauty   Ties That Bind   Gone, but Not Forgotten  

Author
Phillip-Margolin
0 Kudos

Becke: "Gone" is my favorite of my books. Did you know that it was made into a four hour movie with Brooke Shields? It was originally shown on the Lifetime channel but I've seen it elsewhere recently and its on DVD. I thought they did a pretty good job. Thanks for writing. Phil
Inspired Correspondent
Bethanne
0 Kudos

Phillip-Margolin wrote:
Becke: "Gone" is my favorite of my books. Did you know that it was made into a four hour movie with Brooke Shields? It was originally shown on the Lifetime channel but I've seen it elsewhere recently and its on DVD. I thought they did a pretty good job. Thanks for writing. Phil
Phil, very fun to hear about your favorite! Speaking of movies, I could definitely see Fugitive as one.  Do you have a dream cast in mind? I am mulling over several different choices for Amanda...
Bethanne 

0 Kudos

Becke, glad you didn't miss the discussion. What's your favorite thing about Phil's work?

Bethanne 

0 Kudos

Phillip-Margolin wrote:
I had no idea! I definitely want to see that, especially if you thought they did a good job. I'll look for it. Thanks for mentioning it!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Bethanne wrote:

Becke, glad you didn't miss the discussion. What's your favorite thing about Phil's work?

Bethanne 

Boy, that's a tough one. It's kind of like the old saw, "I don't know much about art, but I know what I like." As I recall, I found Sleeping Beauty first -- I've been an avid mystery fan since age 9 and I'm always looking for new authors. I read this one and went back the next day to buy more. I like books that suck me right in and leave me gasping when I come up for air several hours later.  I read fast but that can be a drawback, because once I start a book I don't want to put it down until I've finished it.
 I'm terrible at remembering titles, partly because I do read fast, but these books (and even the titles!) stayed with me. One glance at the book blurbs and the whole story came back in a rush. In fact, now I have the urge to go back and read these again. I've ordered The Fugitive but it hasn't come yet. I also am not sure, after looking at Phillip's book list, if I've read his first book (?) Heartstone, so I've ordered that one, too. Something to look forward to!
Heartstone