Frequent Contributor
PetorThird
0 Kudos

Re: !!!R.A. Salvatore, November 16th – 20th!!!

Good evening Mr. Salvatore.  Admittedly, I have not read any of your novels.  Not because of distaste mind you.  I've been a Dragonlance fan for a number of years before hibernating.  I've recently taken up the passion in reading Weis/Hickman.  Anyway, I've seen your name in reviews and forwards of your fellow fantasy colleagues and was wondering how much collaboration you do with them when writing or brainstorming for your next book?

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

I have been banging my head. What do you say to one the best fantasy authors in the last 30 years????

Should I tell you that I had stopped reading fantasies and had gone over the level to the sci side, when as a 12 year old I ran into "The Crystal Shard" and a "oh wow!" Elmord cover. And you stole me back to fantasy books.

Do you know (I'm sure you heard this but..) that with Drizzt you created one of the best 20 characters EVER?!

I want to thank you for many a wonderful, can't stop reading, running the batties dead in the flashlight books.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Well Bob, it's Friday morning and, after rereading this entire thread from beginning to end, I'm quite happy with how it turned out. There is a ton of information here – and quite a few revelations too – and I think that if a fantasy fan has yet to experience your Drizzt/Companions of the Hall saga, after reading this thread they will definitely seek out Homeland and/or The Crystal Shard and begin their journey asap!

What can I say to you that I haven't already said? I think that you're an incredibly talented writer, and perhaps one of the most under-rated novelists of all time. (Insert "popcorn" remark here.) Hey, some people just don't "get" what adventure fantasy is all about – but those who do, and those who have fallen in love with your Drizzt novels, know how intricately constructed, thematically deep and emotionally powerful this saga is.

Over the last 20 years, you've taken me – you've taken us – on a wondrous, glorious, thrilling, sometimes bitterly painful, journey and for that I'll be forever thankful to you. Literary escapism has never been so edifying! It's been an absolute honor to be able to interview you once again and be the moderator for this forum.

Best of luck in the future – I can't wait to see what you do with Drizzt next!

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
New User
CliffKelley
0 Kudos

ITs November 20th. That sucks. However, bob Im really glad i got to talk to u. As well as my favorite author of all time, you are a pretty cool guy. Way cooler than popcorn. And i would like to thank u for never actually killing my favorite characters in your books. Its good to know they'll always have some magicle item or way back to the living realms until.....ooops. Your books, every one, were the best i ever read, and im happy there's more. Don't take this too morbidly, but i think Drizzt will expand WEEEELLLL beyond your time. (he is a dark elf after all).

Thx for dropping in,

Cliff Kelley 

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

I read a novel once where the majority of the characters' names were anagrams and ever since then, I've been fascinated by anagrams. So, Bob, here are a few interesting anagrams for "R.A. Salvatore": Avatar Roles, Vast Ale Roar (reminds me of dwarves partying), and Larvae Roast...

Completely ridiculous subject here but I did think Avatar Roles was pretty cool.

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Contributor
Matthew608
0 Kudos

Hi Bob, I want to thank you so much for your incredible responses throughout the week. I've had a great time thinking up questions for you and an even better time reading what you had to say. With all of that said I do have one last request for your last day on the forum. I always think it's amazing to know what an author has written and will be writing, but I also think it's fascinating to know what a great author points to as incredible storytelling. What are the top ten novels that you have ever read?

I would also like to thank you again for coming to the forum this week, it has been an incredible privilege to speak with you. Good luck in all of your current and future writings!

Matt

New User
brucehardy

Greeting Mr. Salvatore,

I have to admit that I have read every forgotten realms book you written. Drizzt is one of the best characters in fantasy adventure stories. I have even read most of your other books. I have just read your two most recent books, the Dame and the Ghost King. While I was very surprised at the ending of the Ghost King, I have to admit I liked the Dame even more and I am looking forward to the end of the triolgy with the Bear. Bransen is the most unique character ever written. Combining the magic of the stones of corona with the mystic and martial arts of the jesta tu into a highwayman rogue with comedic wit is just amazing. Lets hope there are many more Bransen stories in the near future.

As for writing another story about Entreri, wouldn't that be kind of hard since the realms is going forward in time a hundred years. For an elf or dwarf, that is nothing. But for a human, I do not think a hundred + version of Entreri would be such a formidable foe. Of course since it is fantasy, there is always the chance to bring back the dead.

Keep up the good writing and you will always have this fan buying your books.

Author
RA-Salvatore
0 Kudos

Hi Perot,

Most of us know each other - we run into each other at conventions adn sometimes even manage to get out to see friends when they're in town on book tour.  When margaret and Tracy came out to New England earlier this year, I got their publisher to give them an extra day so that they could come out and talk and visit at 38 Studios. 

But we really don't collaborate, or even bounce ideas off each other.  Writing is a personal and lonely profession, and the last thing an author needs is another author filling his or her head with ideas when he/she is trying to sort out a novel!

Author
RA-Salvatore
0 Kudos

Heya TiggerBear,

Thanks for all the kind words!  When I talk to Terry Brooks, I usually start with "Hello."

Peace.

Author
RA-Salvatore

It's been a blast, Paul.  I feel like I've gotten to know you much better as well.  So thanks for hosting and for all the kind words and for all the questions that made me pause and consider what I do for a bit.  Sometimes we forget to do that, I know.  Sometimes we're so caught up in the process, the "how," of it that we don't think about the "why."

Was a good week.

Author
RA-Salvatore

Cliff,

Nah, I'm taking him out when I'm going out, dang it!

Seriously, thanks for participating.

Author
RA-Salvatore
0 Kudos

You're a strange, strange man, AUNT GALLOP ALE.

Author
RA-Salvatore
0 Kudos

Well met, Bruca, and thanks for the support!  More books to come...yes, so many more to come.

Peace out,

Bob

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

RA-Salvatore wrote:

You're a strange, strange man, AUNT GALLOP ALE.

Thanks for not calling me TALL PALE GUANO!   :smileyhappy:

Paul

New User
CliffKelley

Bob, you know you're a great writer when this thread ranges from dark elves to bat poop.

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear

RA-Salvatore wrote:

Heya TiggerBear,

Thanks for all the kind words!  When I talk to Terry Brooks, I usually start with "Hello."

Peace.

Hello :smileytongue:

Thanks for all the books!

Believe it or not a hi or hello here on Center Stgae gets ignored, more often than not. Questions you've got a 60% chance. True complements 80%. Why? (shrug)

You've spent a wonderful week with us, thanks. Looking forward to your next book! I have never been disappointed with anything of yours. Seriously doubt I ever will. Totally excellent!