Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
CliffKelley
0 Kudos

Re: !!!R.A. Salvatore, November 16th – 20th!!!

1.(siiiiiigh) Wooooah. I'm about to melt, man. I never, ever thought I'd get to talk to R.A. Salvatore. And especially not call him Bob.

2. So Bob- I have a request. I know its alot to ask. But I want a Morik the Rogue book. Seriously. Morik the Rogue being the main character of a book.  There's so much you could do with that its not even funny.

3. Okay, seriously, who called your work BEACH READING?! I want to harass them via internet for the rest of eternity!

4. I haven't read Transitions yet, but I think the Sellswords was your best series so far. I know you might've been asked this before, but how much longer is Entreri going to live off the shade's soul? Will he still be in the 100 years forward books?

5. Speaking of the fast forward x100 thing, is there gona be technology. Because in the Warhammer Fantasy setting, theres spells, swords, and guns. I know its only a hundred years, so maybe not guns specificly, but some kind of tech? That would be really cool, and I know it sounds cheesy, but your awesome, so you could uncheese it.

Love,

Cliff

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

CliffKelley wrote:

1.(siiiiiigh) Wooooah. I'm about to melt, man. I never, ever thought I'd get to talk to R.A. Salvatore. And especially not call him Bob.

2. So Bob- I have a request. I know its alot to ask. But I want a Morik the Rogue book. Seriously. Morik the Rogue being the main character of a book.  There's so much you could do with that its not even funny.

3. Okay, seriously, who called your work BEACH READING?! I want to harass them via internet for the rest of eternity!

4. I haven't read Transitions yet, but I think the Sellswords was your best series so far. I know you might've been asked this before, but how much longer is Entreri going to live off the shade's soul? Will he still be in the 100 years forward books?

5. Speaking of the fast forward x100 thing, is there gona be technology. Because in the Warhammer Fantasy setting, theres spells, swords, and guns. I know its only a hundred years, so maybe not guns specificly, but some kind of tech? That would be really cool, and I know it sounds cheesy, but your awesome, so you could uncheese it.

Love,

Cliff

Cliff:

Great questions! I'm with you on Morik the Rogue – there is limitless potential there!

Also, if you enjoyed the Sellswords novels, you HAVE to read the Transitions trilogy. All I can say is "wow."

And, yes, I'm soooo curious about this 100 years advancement... Is this going to essentially "kill off" some central characters? Are we never going to read about certain characters ever again?

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Contributor
Matthew608
0 Kudos

Mr. Salvatore, that all makes complete sense. I hadn't really thought that writing characters like Jarlaxle and Entreri would be easier than writing for Drizzt. You're example from "The Practice" nailed everything down perfectly.

I think it's really interesting that you were leaning towards writing "Homeland" in the first-person. Even though you decided to write the novel in the third-person to keep your style of writing, I think you still achieved a very first-person feel in the book.  I know that when I read the book I felt incredibly close to Drizzt .

As I mentioned before, I'm almost finished reading "Canticle," which is a really amazing novel. I'm reading "The Cleric Quintet" in between "Siege of Darkness" and "Passage to Dawn" because my friend told me that it fills in the five year gap perfectly. I'm really interested in this series for so many reasons, one of which is that Cadderly is such a different heroic character than anyone I've read so far. Cadderly certainly doesn't have the same issues Drizzt did with Lolth, it's really interesting to see a different perspective of Forgotten Realms theology. What made you decide to write about a cleric? I guess I'm kind of wondering if it's the ability to show Realms gods in a different light or am I over thinking this particular aspect? "Canticle" is so different from anything I've read before that I'm really curious about the process of developing this arc.

I was also wondering, what do you think of the new covers for "The Cleric Quintet?" I think this might be one of the few cases where I feel like I like the old covers just as much as I like the new ones. There is something very "classic fantasy" about the old covers but I like the serene and subtle feeling of the new ones as well.

Author
RA-Salvatore
0 Kudos

Yes, Paul, I'm moving forward - not 100 years quite yet, but getting there quckly.

Author
RA-Salvatore

(Great Todd story, by the way, Paul!)

Cliff, well met!

A Morik the Rogue book?  well again, we've got that timeline problem, but you never know what could come about.  With your love of Sellswords and questions about Morik, i can guarantee you that you're going to like a new villain you're soon to meet.

And sure, "beach reading," and I don't take that as an insult.  A friend of mine works a tough job (prison guard).  He came over one day asking me if I had any new manuscripts he could read.  I offered him a DemonWars one, but he said, "No, I want a Drizzt one.  Something that can just take me away and not make me think."

Sounds like an insult, I suppose, but really, I'm thrilled that so many people can just read the books for simple escapism.  Just to get the adrenalin pumping.  Go to!

That said, I am very satisfied whenever I read something like Paul posted, where some folks are noting a deeper appreciation of the work.

I'm not sure on the technology aspects in the new Realms.  I haven't seen much, honestly, but then, I'm only now delving more seriously into it.

Bob

Author
RA-Salvatore

Matthew,

That was my wife's favorite series until DemonWars, so thanks for the kind words.  Actually, it was supposed to be a series about a monk, but when 2nd Edition D&D came out, TSR got rid of monks, so they didn't want to feature a series about a type of character that really wasn't showcased in the game any longer.  They asked me to do a cleric series instead.  I generally shy from dealing with the gods in the Realms, but I thought I could pull it off, and yes, show a different side of the Realms through Cadderly's eyes.

paulgoatallen

Bob:

Here's a curveball of sorts. I've begun asking all of the visiting authors the ten questions that James Lipton asks his guests on Bravo's " Inside the Actors Studio" at the end of their interview.The results have been , shall we say, interesting!   :smileywink:

Paul

1. What is your favorite word?

2. What is your least favorite word?

3. What turns you on in life?

4. What turns you off?

5. What sound do you love?

6. What sound do you hate?

7. What is your favorite curse word?

8. What profession, other than yours, would you like to attempt?

9. What profession would you not like to do?

10. If heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the pearly gates?

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Okay, back to the novel...

Contributor
Matthew608

Bob, I think a book or series centered around a monk would be incredibly interesting. I started playing D&D during high school when 3.5 was released so I don't have a lot of knowledge about the previous editions. Monk is my favorite class though and it's really hard to imagine any rendition of D&D without that class. When 4th edition came out I was surprised that the monk wasn't coming out until later, but I understand why because of what they're doing with the power sources. Although a lot of the classes in 4th edition have been pretty well done, I've really taken to the avenger class in the monk's absence.

In the DemonWars saga you introduced everyone to the world of Corona and in the Drizzt books you really brought the Underdark to life. World building, in my opinion, is one of the most enjoyable aspects of writing fantasy even though it's challenging process. When you're world building what inspires you, helps you, what do you find complicating? When you create a world, when do you feel that it's prepared or "finished" enough to start writing?

Matt

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Matthew608 wrote:
World building, in my opinion, is one of the most enjoyable aspects of writing fantasy even though it's challenging process...

Matthew:

Just had to throw in my two cents, here – you're so right. Bob is a master at world building. Just take that one part of Faerun, the Underdark...wow. Creating a subterranean soceity that is so richly historied, vividly described and so mind-bogglingly vast and complex... I love all the sequences set in Menzoberranzan!

Paul

New User
Vance_Avalon
0 Kudos

Bob (wow it is strange to call you that),

I have just started the Pirate King and have loved your Drizzt books for the last, nearly 2 decades.  I actually had the pleasure of meeting you several years ago when you were in the Salt Lake City area promoting the book, Attack of the Clones.  I cherish the book you signed for me.

I really like that you have taken Cattie-Brie towards the magic arts.  I always felt that is where she should have been from the beginning and suddenly, she is training with the Lady of Silverymoon herself (and having been bequeathed a magic item from the Lady, a ring of shooting stars).

Did you take Cattie-Brie in this direction to possibly keep her around in some magical way for this 100 year jump forward?

Jack the Gnome was a great character too, was sad to see him go, but he played his mischievous role.

Do you see any other characters of his type in the future of your books?

When you were in the Salt Lake City area, I asked you about Jarlaxle (before the Sellswords).  You looked at the ceiling, sighed, and after a pause, said something like, "Jarlaxle...ya, he is an interesting character."  You left it there; although it wasn't a descriptive answer, I could see there was something there and a few years later, there were more books on Jarlaxle and Entreri.

Do you plan on continuing this duo anytime in the future?

Ever since the 3rd edition to D&D came out, I was enamored with the art of Todd Lockwood and wished he would do the art for your books.  I soon found he had done a few things for you (the first Servant to the Shard, Spine of the World, and the Silent Blade).  While creative, I knew that there were more exciting and dramaitic, action scenes he could do a fabulous job on.  I wrote Todd and asked if he was going to do any more Drizzt works and he promptly responded that he was working on one at that point in time.

Since then, he has done bookcovers for all of your Drizzt/Jarlaxle books.  This is incredibly thrilling for me, for I always thought that a merge of my favorite fantasy author and favorite fantasy artist would be a dream come true.

Do you plan on using Todd Lockwood in the future (I pray, yes)?

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Vance_Avalon wrote:

Bob (wow it is strange to call you that),

I have just started the Pirate King and have loved your Drizzt books for the last, nearly 2 decades.  I actually had the pleasure of meeting you several years ago when you were in the Salt Lake City area promoting the book, Attack of the Clones.  I cherish the book you signed for me.

I really like that you have taken Cattie-Brie towards the magic arts.  I always felt that is where she should have been from the beginning and suddenly, she is training with the Lady of Silverymoon herself (and having been bequeathed a magic item from the Lady, a ring of shooting stars).

Did you take Cattie-Brie in this direction to possibly keep her around in some magical way for this 100 year jump forward?

Jack the Gnome was a great character too, was sad to see him go, but he played his mischievous role.

Do you see any other characters of his type in the future of your books?

When you were in the Salt Lake City area, I asked you about Jarlaxle (before the Sellswords).  You looked at the ceiling, sighed, and after a pause, said something like, "Jarlaxle...ya, he is an interesting character."  You left it there; although it wasn't a descriptive answer, I could see there was something there and a few years later, there were more books on Jarlaxle and Entreri.

Do you plan on continuing this duo anytime in the future?

Ever since the 3rd edition to D&D came out, I was enamored with the art of Todd Lockwood and wished he would do the art for your books.  I soon found he had done a few things for you (the first Servant to the Shard, Spine of the World, and the Silent Blade).  While creative, I knew that there were more exciting and dramaitic, action scenes he could do a fabulous job on.  I wrote Todd and asked if he was going to do any more Drizzt works and he promptly responded that he was working on one at that point in time.

Since then, he has done bookcovers for all of your Drizzt/Jarlaxle books.  This is incredibly thrilling for me, for I always thought that a merge of my favorite fantasy author and favorite fantasy artist would be a dream come true.

Do you plan on using Todd Lockwood in the future (I pray, yes)?

Vance:

I can respond to a few questions for you right now – the questions regarding Catti-Brie are answered in The Ghost King but I don't want to ruin anything for you so that's all I'll say!   :smileyhappy:

Paul

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

I finally got the Transitions trilogy from the library and have just barely started the Orc King but it is definitely interesting and nice to meet a lot of the characters again.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Nelsmom wrote:

I finally got the Transitions trilogy from the library and have just barely started the Orc King but it is definitely interesting and nice to meet a lot of the characters again.

Toni

Toni:

You're in for one heckuva ride – these three novels are easily the most significant books in the Drizzt saga thus far!

Paul

Author
RA-Salvatore

A knuckleball, you mean...

1. "THE END" (sorry, needed two)

2. "Snarky" as in, "No, you're your not snarky, you're just an idiot."

Or "gripping."  Every book, every movie, every TV show is "gripping"...I've got finger-sized bruises all over my body, apparently.

3. Movement.  The human form moving...Torville and Dean ice-dancing The Bolero, Adrian Peterson cutting back in the open field, fencers, dancers, fighters.  

4. Intolerance and the inability or unwillingness to see things from someone else's perspective.

5. Drums with the rhythm of a heartbeat, that undertone vibration like the Earth itself has come alive at your feet.  George WInston's piano, particularly in those moments when he knows not to spoil the last note by striking another.

6. The audience screaming on a talk show because they just got a $4.99 gift from the host.

7.The one I'm smart enough not to say...I drop the F-bomb way too often.

8. Yoga instructor.

9. Corporate lawyer - I hate meetings and paperwork.

10. "your father nad brother are over there and do you take your Maker's Mark neat or on the rocks?"

Author
RA-Salvatore

1. Yep, particularly regarding Cadderly.  And Jarlaxle, who will leave that book having to admit a lot about himself to himself.

2. I have a threesome playlist: John Serrie "And the Stars Go With You" (new age instrumental...wonderful); Loreena McKinnett; and George Winston's "December."  Those are while I'm typing.  It's still Fleetwood Mac, particularly the "Tusk" album when I'm dreaming nad driving.

3. Yep again.  It's the essence of the athlete, as well.  An athlete WANTS to bat in the bottom of the 9th with 2 outs and the tying run on third.  When I was coaching girls' softball (ages 12-14), I told my very young and very inexperienced team that the only difference between a good softball player and a bad one was that when the ball went through the legs of the good softball player, she didn't get embarrassed.  She just turned around and ran to get it. Similarly, when I had one young lady coming up in the bottom of the last inning, last game of the playoffs, I saw her shaking in fear.  I called time out, took her aside and told her, "This is why you play.  If you strike out, no one will remember it next week, and you sure as heck won't remind them!  So who cares?  But if you get a hit, you'll be reminding people of it for the rest of your life, and it will get better with every retelling."

Yeah, we won the championship, and that scared little girl got buried under her teammates' group hug

4. It's more personal than the Realms' events for me.  This is the transition from the Companions of the Hall to the next phase of Drizzt's life.

Author
RA-Salvatore

I still love the concept, Matt.  Monks represent the purest form of the artist-fighter.

When I'm creating a world or a society (as with the dark elves in the Realms), I am most interested in the structures that create the order of the civilization.  The relationships between power factions define the flow of a world, real or imagined.  So once I get the dressing in place - magic, monsters, technological level - it's all about the towns and kingdoms and churches and guilds.

I know I'm ready to start writing when I, because of those structures, understnad the motivations of my heroes and villains.

Author
RA-Salvatore

Paul, and the inspiration for Menzoberranzan was...Mario Puzo's "The Godfather."

Not kidding.

Author
RA-Salvatore
0 Kudos

Hi Vance,

I can't really give away anything regarding Catti-brie or the others, but you'll find out much more soon enough if you keep reading.

As for Jarlaxle and Entreri, there will be more, although perhapps not of them together.  Jarlaxle is ever-present lately.  Entreri is a bit trickier, but I doubt I'm done with him.

Authors don't get much say in who does the covers, but I hope I'm with Todd for a long time to come.  I did get a say in the Highwayman books, and guess who I picked? 

Author
RA-Salvatore
0 Kudos

Hope you enjoy them!

Peace,

Bob