Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
Bethanne
0 Kudos

Re: Sandra Brown, August 17-21

Sandra-Brown wrote:

I believe it's #73.

I'm hoping it becomes my 58th New York Times bestseller.

Fingers crossed!

Definitely keeping fingers crossed for you! 58th NYT bestseller? WOW.
Will you ever stop writing on this current schedule? Or do you plan to keep going indefinitely because you love it so much? 

Check out this week's Center Stage discussion!

See all upcoming discussions!

0 Kudos

Thea,

My characters are much more fascinating than I am!  I never confuse them with myself.  However, that said, there's no way any writing can write with total objectivity.  I'm sure my views on certain subjects are revealed subconsciously.

Inspired Correspondent
Bethanne
0 Kudos

Sandra-Brown wrote:
I wasn't familiar with the term, but when I began doing the movie research for the novel, I ran across it.  It was perfect for the title.
That's wonderful, to find something perfect like that. Now, I know from reading all about you that you're something of a perfectionist. How does that translate into doing your research? Do you keep meticulous notes, etc.? 

0 Kudos

Becke. . .thank you for being a fan for so long!

I've got fingers crossed that SMASH CUT will be my 58th New York Times bestseller.

Contributor
KFZuzulo
0 Kudos

"And,yes,my characters "talk" to me.  In fact, I watch them, and when they do something or say something, I write it down."

That's great!  No wonder your characters are so believable.  How do you keep track of ALL of them?  Do you keep a 'directory' of characters and do you revisit characters from previous works?

Author
Sandra-Brown
0 Kudos

I love it!

I have the best job in the world!  I get to tell stories for a living.  Lie, essentially.  Writing is too hard to do without loving it.

Last year I wrote an extra book, something entirely different for me.  It's a quiet little story, not a thriller or myster, set in 1934 in Texas, during the Depression.  It's called RAINWATER.  It comes out in November -- in time for holiday gift-giving, and I think it will be a perfect gift book.  Ordinarily I write only one book a year, but this story insisted on being told!  You can hear me talking about it, and how it came about, on YouTube.

I don't plan to retire any time soon!  When I'm asked, I say, "To do what?"  Because there's nothing I love doing as much as I love writing.  Unless it's reading!

Inspired Correspondent
Bethanne
0 Kudos

KFZuzulo wrote:

"And,yes,my characters "talk" to me.  In fact, I watch them, and when they do something or say something, I write it down."

That's great!  No wonder your characters are so believable.  How do you keep track of ALL of them?  Do you keep a 'directory' of characters and do you revisit characters from previous works?

Great question, K.! Sandra, if I were you I'd need a multipage spreadsheet -- but maybe you have a different method?
Bethanne 

0 Kudos

Sandra-Brown wrote:

I love it!

I have the best job in the world!  I get to tell stories for a living.  Lie, essentially.  Writing is too hard to do without loving it.

Last year I wrote an extra book, something entirely different for me.  It's a quiet little story, not a thriller or myster, set in 1934 in Texas, during the Depression.  It's called RAINWATER.  It comes out in November -- in time for holiday gift-giving, and I think it will be a perfect gift book.  Ordinarily I write only one book a year, but this story insisted on being told!  You can hear me talking about it, and how it came about, on YouTube.

I don't plan to retire any time soon!  When I'm asked, I say, "To do what?"  Because there's nothing I love doing as much as I love writing.  Unless it's reading!

It's great to hear how much you love writing. Now, while I'm digging out the YouTube link to post here another question for you: What are you reading right now?
Bethanne 

0 Kudos

Yes, I am a bit of a perfectionist.

When I'm writing, I write the story first, because I feel that's the most important element.  It's all about story and character.

Then I go through and make notes on all the facts I must check and what I need to research.  I make appointments with whomever is the "expert," then I say, "Here's my scene.  This is what has to happen.  Tell me how it could."

I don't try to impress my reader with how much knowledge I have on a subject, and I resent a writer who tries to impress me!  I'm much more impressed with good storytelling and character development.

Inspired Correspondent
Bethanne
0 Kudos

Everyone, here is the link to Sandra's video in which she talks about her November release, Rainwater:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx7goNWz8Cc 

You can pre-order Rainwater here

0 Kudos

Actually, I miss some of the characters!  The Tylers from the Texas! Trilogy spring to mind.  I loved all of them, even their mom!

There's a character in SMASH CUT named Dodge Hanley.  He's a secondary character, but I liked him so well that I'm now doing a book about him.  In SC, he's rather a burn-out.  I wanted to explore and find out what made Dodge the cynic he is.  I haven't carried over a character since my romance writing days, and then I did it only a few times.  This is a new experience!

Inspired Correspondent
Bethanne
0 Kudos

Sandra-Brown wrote:

Yes, I am a bit of a perfectionist.

When I'm writing, I write the story first, because I feel that's the most important element.  It's all about story and character.

Then I go through and make notes on all the facts I must check and what I need to research.  I make appointments with whomever is the "expert," then I say, "Here's my scene.  This is what has to happen.  Tell me how it could."

I don't try to impress my reader with how much knowledge I have on a subject, and I resent a writer who tries to impress me!  I'm much more impressed with good storytelling and character development.

What is the greatest lesson about storytelling that you've learned since you wrote your first book? 

0 Kudos

No,  I don't use a spreadsheet, because Amie, my assistant, has just informed me that Julie Rutledge in SMASH CUT is a name I've already used -- in MIRROR IMAGE!  Sorry!  It's not the same character.  But I guess I need a directory!
Inspired Correspondent
Bethanne
0 Kudos

Sandra-Brown wrote:

Actually, I miss some of the characters!  The Tylers from the Texas! Trilogy spring to mind.  I loved all of them, even their mom!

There's a character in SMASH CUT named Dodge Hanley.  He's a secondary character, but I liked him so well that I'm now doing a book about him.  In SC, he's rather a burn-out.  I wanted to explore and find out what made Dodge the cynic he is.  I haven't carried over a character since my romance writing days, and then I did it only a few times.  This is a new experience!

This is one of the things I love hearing from novelists -- when a character becomes so interesting to them that they give that character his own book, or a completely new chapter, etc. Will Dodge Hanley's book be your next one after RAINWATER?
Bethanne 

0 Kudos

I'm reading a romance by Elizabeth Hoyt.  This is the first time I've read her, and I was curious because she popped up on my Kindle as "recommended."  I'm loving it! 

Next is Lee Child's GONE TOMORROW.  I don't stick to one genre, obviously!  I read what I'm in the mood for.

Inspired Correspondent
Bethanne
0 Kudos

Sandra-Brown wrote:
No,  I don't use a spreadsheet, because Amie, my assistant, has just informed me that Julie Rutledge in SMASH CUT is a name I've already used -- in MIRROR IMAGE!  Sorry!  It's not the same character.  But I guess I need a directory!
HA! I think that that happens, even to authors who haven't written 73 books! 

0 Kudos

The first several pages of my very, very first book were a travelogue -- exactly what I was talking about earlier.  I was trying to impress my readers with how smart I was about an area.  The story began on about page 8.  I used that example in a seminar on how NOT to begin a book.  Since, I've  learned to get into it immediately.  Hook the reader on the first page, the first paragraph, the first sentence if possible.
Author
Sandra-Brown
0 Kudos

Yes, that's the plan.  If Dodge, et al, cooperate!

Contributor
KFZuzulo
0 Kudos

Sandra,

When you've written the last line of a new work, does it go directly from your computer to your agent's, or do you have a trusted reader go over it?

-Kellyann

Inspired Correspondent
Bethanne
0 Kudos

Sandra-Brown wrote:
The first several pages of my very, very first book were a travelogue -- exactly what I was talking about earlier.  I was trying to impress my readers with how smart I was about an area.  The story began on about page 8.  I used that example in a seminar on how NOT to begin a book.  Since, I've  learned to get into it immediately.  Hook the reader on the first page, the first paragraph, the first sentence if possible.
Sandra, that is an excellent lesson for aspiring writers in any genre, and goes back to what you said about research -- no need to impress readers with details that don't serve your story and your characters.
Speaking of characters...what's the biggest lesson you've learned about THEM?
Bethanne